2008-2009 University of Washington Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You must submit a statement, not to exceed 200 words, about why you want to attend the UWSOM. This cannot be fulfilled by the AMCAS Personal Statement or the additional Autobiography Statement.

You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in health care, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office. If you wish to use your Personal Comments to fulfill the autobiography requirement please leave this section blank.

Due to the volume of applications we receive, publications or manuscripts will not be included in your application file, and cannot be returned if sent. Instead, please submit abstracts or other brief descriptions of your work.

You may submit a letter from a premedical advisory committee (list the name of the school) OR three letters from faculty from whom you have taken college-level courses (list individual faculty names). Letters should critically evaluate your academic ability, strengths and weaknesses, motivation for medicine, maturity, difficulty of course work, and special attributes and assets.

Members don't see this ad.

you're fast, shemarty!

You must submit a statement, not to exceed 200 words, about why you want to attend the UWSOM. This cannot be fulfilled by the AMCAS Personal Statement or the additional Autobiography Statement.

You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in health care, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office. If you wish to use your Personal Comments to fulfill the autobiography requirement please leave this section blank.

Due to the volume of applications we receive, publications or manuscripts will not be included in your application file, and cannot be returned if sent. Instead, please submit abstracts or other brief descriptions of your work.

You may submit a letter from a premedical advisory committee (list the name of the school) OR three letters from faculty from whom you have taken college-level courses (list individual faculty names). Letters should critically evaluate your academic ability, strengths and weaknesses, motivation for medicine, maturity, difficulty of course work, and special attributes and assets.[/QUOT

Be aware that the UWSOM does not consider OOS applicants with the exception of URMs, MD/PhD candidates, and applicants from states without state medical schools in the WICHE program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, I'm not sure - was the last bit about UW not considering OOS applications written in by honker?

Unless there's been a major change in policy, UW considers OOS applications (in the case of UW, 'out of region' is a more accurate term). The screening process for out of region applicants is different from that of WWAMI applicants, in that out of region applicants will be considered under the above circumstances mentioned by honker, OR if they demonstrate a strong commitment to working with the under served. That last one really counts!

Wait, I'm not sure - was the last bit about UW not considering OOS applications written in by honker?

Unless there's been a major change in policy, UW considers OOS applications (in the case of UW, 'out of region' is a more accurate term). The screening process for out of region applicants is different from that of WWAMI applicants, in that out of region applicants will be considered under the above circumstances mentioned by honker, OR if they demonstrate a strong commitment to working with the under served. That last one really counts!

I got a rejection letter from them pre-secondary, with the explanation that I don't meet the criteria for an OOS applicant to the MD program. Considering my 3.8 GPA and 38S MCAT, it's likely that these criteria are not academic, but rather they are looking for URMs. The letter did suggest that I may want to reapply (this cycle) as an MD/PhD candidate.

There's more info along these lines in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=442208

Also, I think I'm gonna frame the letter and put it above my desk.

Hey! I got a secondary from them the other day! I'm from a WAMI state though. Good luck everyone! :luck:

Has anyone finished this secondary yet? If so, was there a "Biochem" check box in Section 7: Course Requirements? The instructions say to indicate which courses included elements of biochemistry by checking the "biochem" box, but I don't see any boxes to check...

Hey! Just seeing if anyone else is applying through the WAMI program?

Has anyone finished this secondary yet? If so, was there a "Biochem" check box in Section 7: Course Requirements? The instructions say to indicate which courses included elements of biochemistry by checking the "biochem" box, but I don't see any boxes to check...

Yeah, I don't see a "biochem" box. I just kind of included it in the class title - Organic Chemistry (biochem elements) - like that.

Yeah, I ended up emailing them about the biochem box and asked if I could put that info in the comments box at the bottom of the page, and they said that they are working on getting that fixed but in the mean time it was fine to just use the comments box.

I'm applying WWAMI, ha, don't forget that second W - that's me - Wyoming. I just got their secondary invitation today.

Haaha! I always remember Wyoming...it's Washington that I forget about! :D

im strugging with this personal statement at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do OOS applicants who are applying MSTP have to complete the MD-only application also?

I'm in state, starting to get a little nervous about not yet getting a secondary from UW, my grades and MCAT are on par, I was verified a few days ago and haven't heard anything.. The only reason I am nervous is because I have friends who are hearing back with similar stats as me.. Is any one else in the same boat? Or how long ago did you get a secondary for those of you who are in state and verified?

I'm in state (Washington, not WAMI) and I got verified on a Thursday and then got the UW 2ndary the following Monday.

has anyone out of state received a secondary yet? i know they give a very strong preference to in-state residents, but I still wanted to apply.

RJones, if you were only verified a few days ago you shouldn't worry. All WA residents get the secondary (and an automatic interview if you're above some mcat/gpa cutoff, from what I hear).

hey washingtonians,

i got an email from the office requesting that i fill out a residency verification form. i dont remember having to do that last year...

my question is, does admissions wait to review applications until your residency is verified or is this an independent process? obviously my acceptance would depend on my residency....also do they need all the forms listed (tax forms, W2, etc?) or are just the tax forms, drivers license, voter reg enough?

also, is this a good sign that they want to verify my residency when they didn't last year?

How exactly do they determine if you fit the criteria needed to be considered as an OOS? Im not URM or MD/PhD but I am disadvantaged (although i did not apply as disadvantaged) and very committed to the underserved...but, how would they know this? I did briefly touch on my financial circumstances in my PS and i have some community service experiences with underserved populations...is there something very specific that they need to jump out at them? I REALLY like this school. sigh.

How exactly do they determine if you fit the criteria needed to be considered as an OOS? Im not URM or MD/PhD but I am disadvantaged (although i did not apply as disadvantaged) and very committed to the underserved...but, how would they know this? I did briefly touch on my financial circumstances in my PS and i have some community service experiences with underserved populations...is there something very specific that they need to jump out at them? I REALLY like this school. sigh.

I think they definitely look for some indication that you are interested in working with underserved populations, and probably with supporting evidence from more than one source (ie. PS and ECs) given an OOS acceptance rate of .1%. I love the school too, I feel your pain. :)

ignore this. im doing admin stuff.

I think they definitely look for some indication that you are interested in working with underserved populations, and probably with supporting evidence from more than one source (ie. PS and ECs) given an OOS acceptance rate of .1%. I love the school too, I feel your pain. :)

You may have been exaggerating, but out-of-state acceptance last year was close to 8%. It will be interesting to see the rate at which SDN members receive the secondary.

You may have been exaggerating, but out-of-state acceptance last year was close to 8%. It will be interesting to see the rate at which SDN members receive the secondary.

That should have been 1.0% not 0.1%. Not sure where you got your numbers from, but according to this year's MSAR OOS acceptance was nowhere near 8%. 3422 OOS applied, 106 OOS were interviewed (3%), and 15 matriculated (0.4%).

RJones, if you were only verified a few days ago you shouldn't worry. All WA residents get the secondary (and an automatic interview if you're above some mcat/gpa cutoff, from what I hear).

Not true. Changed for E 2009 - all applicants are now screened before an interview invitation is given.

How long has it been taking for UW to download LORs from AMCAS LOE? Its been a little over a week since I got the craziness of AMCAS squared away and I'm complete at all the other schools, including the other AMCAS LOE school, that I applied to, but still no UW. Anyone have any ideas?

hey washingtonians,

i got an email from the office requesting that i fill out a residency verification form. i dont remember having to do that last year...

my question is, does admissions wait to review applications until your residency is verified or is this an independent process? obviously my acceptance would depend on my residency....also do they need all the forms listed (tax forms, W2, etc?) or are just the tax forms, drivers license, voter reg enough?

also, is this a good sign that they want to verify my residency when they didn't last year?

At what point in the process were you rejected last year? I'm in state and applied, interviewed, and was kept "under consideration" all the way up to the last EXCOM meeting last year...talk about suspense!

Anyway, when I applied last year I had to do the residency verification thing before my file was considered complete and ready to be considered for an interview. As far as the various materials that they ask for as forms of verification, yes you have to send ALL of them, and even then they may call and ask for clarification or further documentation. After I sent them all of my stuff last year I remember that I got a call (or an email?) from the residency office asking for something else that I had to fax them in addition to the rest of my materials but I can't remember what it was now.

Maybe they pick people to prove residency randomly? Either way, I don't have to re-do it this year apparently because its not on my status page!

At what point in the process were you rejected last year? I'm in state and applied, interviewed, and was kept "under consideration" all the way up to the last EXCOM meeting last year...talk about suspense!

Anyway, when I applied last year I had to do the residency verification thing before my file was considered complete and ready to be considered for an interview. As far as the various materials that they ask for as forms of verification, yes you have to send ALL of them, and even then they may call and ask for clarification or further documentation. After I sent them all of my stuff last year I remember that I got a call (or an email?) from the residency office asking for something else that I had to fax them in addition to the rest of my materials but I can't remember what it was now.

Maybe they pick people to prove residency randomly? Either way, I don't have to re-do it this year apparently because its not on my status page!

Thanks for the info. I was rejected fairly quickly last year, so I thought that might have something to do with it. Perhaps they plan on keeping me a little longer this time around?!

The certification is going to suck though due to a slip-up on my part...that's why I asked which documents they REALLY need. If it's all of them, I guess I'll just have to be upfront and explain what happened.

Hey everyone...

I find myself in a very precarious situation and need to get a residency issue answered/resolved to ease the tension a bit...

I was born in Maryland,United States in 1984 but being of East Indian origin my parents decided to go back to India when I was 7. I have lived in India for almost 15 years and I "returned" to the United States a little more than 2 years ago and went to washington state for a second undergrad in neuroscience (after graduating from Delhi University with a B.S. in Biochemistry)...

As i had been a technical expatriate for 15 years I lost MD state residency ( I found this out when I applied to UMD for my second undergrad.) Anyway...I went to Washington State and lived there for 2 years...I got a drivers license, paid taxes twice from Washington and registered for voting in Washington...I tried to find out about the residency issue so may times that i cant even remember anymore...but never got a satisfactory explanation from anyone (including the people at UW)...

Now the dilemma is whether they would consider me a resident or not....because if legally they prove that I am not then I am a resident of no state at all (even though I am a natural born citizen)...which is weird to say the least...
At the moment I am in Maryland again because I got a postbaccalaureate RA position at NCI...I'm not in Washington but have made sure that the apartment i used to live in still has me on the lease and the utility bills woul provide the same info...I am guessing that there are a lot of other people from Washington visiting this thread and someone would have an answer to my problem....

It'll be awesome if I could get some help....Thanks!! :confused:

Hey Shemarty....Thanks for these secondary threads....this is really awesome....!! :)

Now the dilemma is whether they would consider me a resident or not....

wow, and i thought i had it rough living in washington and working in oregon....

www.washington.edu/students/reg/residency.html

this website has the residency form, but i emailed the cert. office to ask what documents are needed at this time and they said:

There is a list on our website that each student must submit initially (employment, vehicle registration, etc.). Once we process the student's application, we contact the student via email and ask for more information depending on what they sent in. In other words, please submit everything that you are able to from the list. If we need more, we will contact you and let you know. If there are any other questions or concerns, please respond to this email. Thank you.
so you might get away with submitting whatever you have, and be as thorough as possible. you may run into trouble living/working in md though. they seem to only give exception if you are a dependent or away for school.

Thanks...

I had another question though!!
Do you think that it is possible for a citizen not to have a single state where he/she could claim residency?? I mean this possibility sounds technically flawed to me...

I've been battling with this question for over a year now and people usually agree with me...but it seems to have no real consequence as the UW residency certification might not come any way...

Is it worth sending them a letter than explains my situation in more detail? Would they read such extraneous document especially when they haven't really given a provision for such material to be submitted?

Thanks...

I had another question though!!
Do you think that it is possible for a citizen not to have a single state where he/she could claim residency?? I mean this possibility sounds technically flawed to me...

I've been battling with this question for over a year now and people usually agree with me...but it seems to have no real consequence as the UW residency certification might not come any way...

Is it worth sending them a letter than explains my situation in more detail? Would they read such extraneous document especially when they haven't really given a provision for such material to be submitted?

yes, i think it is possible to not be a resident of any state, especially when you were away for so long. sorry, i dont know how to answer your second question. have you actually received an email from the uw office requesting you to fill out a residency cert? I heard on here it might be random.

Yeah...I wrote to them a long time back...I sent a fairly concise explanation of my problem but they kept seding me a generic email that just said that the information for WA residency is on xyz website....So it was a dead end in certain ways...

The only way to get a direct answer out of the residency people is to call them on the phone. Once you do, they're incredibly helpful. When I was certifying last year I didn't have a voter's registration card so I kept coming up as incomplete. I eventually had to call them and explain that I don't have a voters registration card, and then they fixed it and it was no problem after that.

IMO you probably won't have a problem. As long as you have a US birth certificate and the documentation to prove that you were in Washington as a permanent resident for at least one year prior to application, you shouldn't have a problem.

ronicajay--I just noticed that you're in Vancouver...I'm in Longview but I went to WSUV (graduated in May) I wonder if we've ever met...

The only way to get a direct answer out of the residency people is to call them on the phone. Once you do, they're incredibly helpful. When I was certifying last year I didn't have a voter's registration card so I kept coming up as incomplete. I eventually had to call them and explain that I don't have a voters registration card, and then they fixed it and it was no problem after that.

IMO you probably won't have a problem. As long as you have a US birth certificate and the documentation to prove that you were in Washington as a permanent resident for at least one year prior to application, you shouldn't have a problem.

ronicajay--I just noticed that you're in Vancouver...I'm in Longview but I went to WSUV (graduated in May) I wonder if we've ever met...

hmm...I rarely go north of Mill Plain :] Actually, I work in Portland so I don't spend a lot of time in the 'Couve. Nice to know there is someone local on here though!

Thanks !! :)

I'll give them a call asap...

btw ...I graduated from WSU too (this may)...But I was in Pullman...

Thanks !! :)

I'll give them a call asap...

btw ...I graduated from WSU too (this may)...But I was in Pullman...

Haha..GO COUGS!

(Ya gotta love the Coug presence on the UW thread...)

Is anyone complete at UW yet? Have your letters been acknowledged? I'm just wondering if I should email them and find out what's going on, or if that would just make me a huge PITA...

Bumpity Bump for my question above...

Anyone know what the username for the status page is?

i cant even get it to load properly. are you checking the link listed on the application site?

i had some trouble too, just refreshed a few times and eventually got it.

still doesn't load for me. sorry i can't be more help about the username.

now if only i could get it to load...ill have to try on my work computer.

I'm OOS, got verified on the 28th of July. Still haven't heard anything from them, not even acknowledgment. Is this normal or does UW hate me?

Status
Not open for further replies.