2010-2011 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it? (Do not exceed 250 words)

2. Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why? (Do not exceed 250 words)

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I submitted primary to UIC and I just found out there's the behavior science prereq. Should I still continue with the secondary? If I were accepted, I could fulfill the requirement the summer before school starts at a CC right?

I submitted primary to UIC and I just found out there's the behavior science prereq. Should I still continue with the secondary? If I were accepted, I could fulfill the requirement the summer before school starts at a CC right?

Yup! As long as all pre-reqs are completed prior to matriculation, you should be good. I would suggest maybe going back and editing the section about future coursework in your AMCAS to reflect your plan to take this pre-req.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I know the secondaries have not been sent out yet but I would like to get an early start if possible. Does anyone know how frequently the school changes their secondary questions? Would it be a waste of time relying on the secondary questions from last years apps? Thanks!

Hi guys, I know the secondaries have not been sent out yet but I would like to get an early start if possible. Does anyone know how frequently the school changes their secondary questions? Would it be a waste of time relying on the secondary questions from last years apps? Thanks!

Hero, I don't know if they are changing their questions this year...Just in case they DO, I wouldn't write my essays yet. In case they DON'T change their questions, you could start by just jotting down ideas for answering the prompts from last year. Maybe 3-4 bullet points for each that way if the questions are the same once the secondary comes out, you at least have an idea of what to write about. That is what I did last year for other schools and it helped.

In the MSAR it says that UIC gives preference to Illinois residents.

Would it not be wise to apply as a Michigan resident?

I would apply...there is a good number of oos applicants. I interviewed with a few Michigan and Cali residents on my day

Yep, there are plenty of people in the class from out of state. Just be sure you're familiar with the tuition for out-of-state students, as it is quite different from in state students.

Hi there!

I'm currently applying to this school too, but will be submitting my apps on Oct 9th (after I receive my MCAT taken on Sept 9th).

Whats an example of a behavioral science course? Psychology, human sexuality, health psychology, sociology, sexually transmitted diseases fall under these categories?

Thanks!

Yeah I think anything Psychology-related would count as behavioral science.

Hi there!

I'm currently applying to this school too, but will be submitting my apps on Oct 9th (after I receive my MCAT taken on Sept 9th).

Whats an example of a behavioral science course? Psychology, human sexuality, health psychology, sociology, sexually transmitted diseases fall under these categories?

Thanks!

Sociology will definitely count as a behavioral science (that is the class I used to fulfill the requirement). And yes, Psychology should count as well.

does economics count? do they use the same courses for BESS as used in the AMCAS course classification?

Hi there!

Thanks!

Is that when you are planning on submitting to amcas? If so that's pretty late in general and will significantly lower your chances unless you have an impeccable app and stats. Do you have to take the exam that late?

Members don't see this ad :)
does economics count? do they use the same courses for BESS as used in the AMCAS course classification?

Check last year's secondary thread...I believe I read recently someone saying that they would not count their econ courses

I was an Econ major and applied last year. Econ did not count for behavioral but did count for the social science req. Hope this helps!

Bender- love the link to the MSAR data, thanks for that

Hello,

My AMCAS app has been verified but I am going to take the MCAT again on July 8th. Does this mean that UIC will not look at my app until the new score is in? Or will they go with the score I have right now (30P 10 PS 9 V 11 BS), until the new one comes? Will taking the test again hurt me, because of the timing?

thank you

Hello,

My AMCAS app has been verified but I am going to take the MCAT again on July 8th. Does this mean that UIC will not look at my app until the new score is in? Or will they go with the score I have right now (30P 10 PS 9 V 11 BS), until the new one comes? Will taking the test again hurt me, because of the timing?

thank you

Did you write on your AMCAS that you are retaking the MCAT on July 8th? If you did, then the schools you applied to will wait until your newest MCAT score to come out before they review your application. If you didn't write that you are retaking the MCAT, schools will start reviewing you application immediately... and you can always update them with the new score when you receive it in August.

If you did write on your application that you are retaking the MCAT, retaking the test might hurt your chances because you will be considered later in the cycle. But the July test isn't too late. Aim to have all your secondaries done by early August so they can start reviewing your application as soon as your new MCAT comes out. You shouldn't be too late in the cycle, so good luck! Make sure to get a 33+ MCAT otherwise they med schools might be confused about why you retook a 30 (which is a pretty good score).

I don't know if any of you know this but UIC is debating whether or not to increase the enrollment right now. From what I heard last week from very good source, department chair, that they're most likely going to increase the enrollment to 320 as a whole. Whether it will be impleted for class of 2015, I don't know for sure. And whether the extra 20 seats be in chicago or spread across other campuses, I don't know that either. But either way this is a great news for all of you applying here if it's implemented this year. From what I understand, this is being done at least partly to offset the large budget deficit that UIC has right now.

Hello,

thank you

Make sure you note on your AMCAS that you will be retaking the MCAT ... though I really do not understand why you would retake it ...

Does anyone know about the RIMSAP program at UIC? The website doesn't say much...

Does anyone know about the RIMSAP program at UIC? The website doesn't say much...

I know someone who went through RIMSAP. They are now accepted to UIC's RMED program. I don't know what kind of weight their "recommendation" played in their admission, however, since RMED is already much less competitive. RIMSAP has much more stipulations, though. I would use it if you were a weak candidate even by RMED standards. BTW, this person had a 4.00 and a low/mid 20s MCAT. Although, they do offer some loan assistance as well.

I have been considering this myself for a bit, but I don't know how much I could stand being rural. My towns in IL don't qualify, and they're not even that big.

I know someone who went through RIMSAP. They are now accepted to UIC's RMED program. I don't know what kind of weight their "recommendation" played in their admission, however, since RMED is already much less competitive. RIMSAP has much more stipulations, though. I would use it if you were a weak candidate even by RMED standards. BTW, this person had a 4.00 and a low/mid 20s MCAT. Although, they do offer some loan assistance as well.

I have been considering this myself for a bit, but I don't know how much I could stand being rural. My towns in IL don't qualify, and they're not even that big.

Hmm I think I am confused on RMED and RIMSAP. Is RMED where you must go into family med, or is it primary care in general?

RMED is strictly through UIC. The program is at Rockford, and you just need to apply to UIC through AMCAS and then fill out an extra application to RMED. It's on the website somewhere, I think. RIMSAP is like a private company through the Illinois Farm Bureau. They interview you separately and then make a recommendation to UIC for admittance. They also provide special loans. However, if you take their help, you have to sign a contract that you'll establish a practice in an approved rural community for at least 5 years. I don't think there is any contract with RMED. RIMSAP also requires a min of 3.5 for application, but no minimum MCAT. RIMSAP has approved residencies such as OBGYN, family med, psych, gen surg, and ER, so there are more options, there. RMED just says "primary care." I don't know which residencies they mean, though. Yeah, this is all confusing. I'd suggest calling up both programs to get more complete info.

RMED is strictly through UIC. The program is at Rockford, and you just need to apply to UIC through AMCAS and then fill out an extra application to RMED. It's on the website somewhere, I think. RIMSAP is like a private company through the Illinois Farm Bureau. They interview you separately and then make a recommendation to UIC for admittance. They also provide special loans. However, if you take their help, you have to sign a contract that you'll establish a practice in an approved rural community for at least 5 years. I don't think there is any contract with RMED. RIMSAP also requires a min of 3.5 for application, but no minimum MCAT. RIMSAP has approved residencies such as OBGYN, family med, psych, gen surg, and ER, so there are more options, there. RMED just says "primary care." I don't know which residencies they mean, though. Yeah, this is all confusing. I'd suggest calling up both programs to get more complete info.

RMED does not have a contract per se, however you are asked to sign a letter of intent to pursue a primary care specialty once accepted into the RMED program. You are not bound by this should you choose to not pursue a rural specialty.

RIMSAP is a bit more generous with the specialties they allow applicants to pursue.

A comment about RMED admissions - the applicant pool tends to have a bit lower GPA and MCAT than the general UIC admissions pool. However, even if the RMED program recommends an applicant for admission, UIC still has to sign off on it. RMED is not recommended as a "back door" program to gain admission to UIC solely based on lower than average stats. You will have an interview in front of a panel of 15 members (1 student, the rest physicians and faculty) and they are brutal with their questions, with the intent of finding applicants who truly want to pursue rural medicine. There are also additional courses RMED students take every year because it is a supplemental curriculum.

this is what UIC sent me

When you apply, the committee will review your application with the MCAT scores that you report to AMCAS. Once you retake the MCAT, they will review your application again with the most recent scores. UIC will go with the highest score that you receive as opposed to averaging them. This wil lnot hurt your chances of getting into medical school. Thank you and Good luck.

Does anyone have any information on the Urban Medicine program at UIC? I am extremely interested in it. Does anyone know if you go through the whole application process first, before being able to apply to the program, or can you do it simultaneously? I looked at the website and it has the application up for last application cycle still...

If you read their website, they also interpret that requirement as sociology or anthropology courses. I have never taken a straight up Psychology, Anthropology, or Sociology course, so I got a little creative and made the courses that I have already taken work for me (it especially helps if you have taken a lot of humanities courses, so you have more options to choose from). They accepted two French literature courses I took to fulfill this requirement, one on Representations of Childhood in French literature, and the other on Representations of the Female Reader in French literature. One of these was coded as "Gender Studies" on my transcript, so that definitely helped my case.

Hope this helps!

Hello,

thank you

Whether you retake the MCAT or not, in my opinion, should depend on your GPA. If you have a 3.5+, your 30 is fine, and I wouldn't want to risk a lower score. If you have below a 3.5, it may be worth the risk. Really, it all boils down to the fact that 30/3.5 is roughly average for med school matriculants. If one is lower, the other should be higher to balance it out.

Of course, this is all with the caveat that it's about more than numbers alone.

I know people who got into UIC with quite low GPAs but had solid MCATs (90%ile +) and ECs.

Does anyone know what the screening process is? I have a 3.92 GPA and a 27M. (10 P, 7V, 10B).

I am scheduled to retake the test on July 8th? would you suggest I do?

Does anyone have any information on the Urban Medicine program at UIC? I am extremely interested in it. Does anyone know if you go through the whole application process first, before being able to apply to the program, or can you do it simultaneously? I looked at the website and it has the application up for last application cycle still...

Hi I'll be an M1 this upcoming August and am part of the UMED program. If it's anything like last year they probably won't put up a new application until August or September. I'd suggest submitting the application as soon as it is available and you have completed it. However, they will not review applications and offer interviews until after the deadline sometime in March I believe. I had my regular interview in October and my UMED interview was offered during the second look date in April. About 100 people apply to the program every year, but I believe that includes individuals that don't end up getting accepted. They aim for a class of 24. I had a ~30 minute interview with 2 students...it was VERY laid back. I feel like some people apply to the program as a guarantee to get the Chicago campus and they just want to make sure that you have a genuine interest. They only interview candidates that have already been offered regular admissions.

Does anyone know what the screening process is? I have a 3.92 GPA and a 27M. (10 P, 7V, 10B).

I am scheduled to retake the test on July 8th? would you suggest I do?

Have you been consistently scoring 30+ on your practice exams? If not I wouldn't re-take it until/unless you are. You should only retake it if you think your score will significantly improve. I doubt a retake of a 28 or 29 would help your application that much more. I don't think they screen. They say that they do but if there is one it is extremely low.

If you read their website, they also interpret that requirement as sociology or anthropology courses. I have never taken a straight up Psychology, Anthropology, or Sociology course, so I got a little creative and made the courses that I have already taken work for me (it especially helps if you have taken a lot of humanities courses, so you have more options to choose from). They accepted two French literature courses I took to fulfill this requirement, one on Representations of Childhood in French literature, and the other on Representations of the Female Reader in French literature. One of these was coded as "Gender Studies" on my transcript, so that definitely helped my case.

Hope this helps!

Good advice...check to see what other departments courses you have taken are cross listed in and see if that helps also. I learned the art of that for undergrad early on to fulfill multiple requirements. :thumbup:

love the screen name btw!

c/o '09!!! :D

Does anyone have any information on the Urban Medicine program at UIC?

A rep came to Champaign a couple years back with whom I talked for a very brief time. When I asked about it, the only thing he told me was that they prefer to admit people of under-represented races... I said uhhh.... thanks?

Me=Whitey to the max...

I hope this was an isolated incident or not true of the program because it sounded really neat.

Have you been consistently scoring 30+ on your practice exams? If not I wouldn't re-take it until/unless you are. You should only retake it if you think your score will significantly improve. I doubt a retake of a 28 or 29 would help your application that much more. I don't think they screen. They say that they do but if there is one it is extremely low.

I have never been able to score above a 30 on practices, mainly because of my verbal but usually it is around an 8 or 9 which puts me at a 28/29... I am nervous that if I retake my Physics will suffer... advice?

I have never been able to score above a 30 on practices, mainly because of my verbal but usually it is around an 8 or 9 which puts me at a 28/29... I am nervous that if I retake my Physics will suffer... advice?

Nih, I wouldn't retake until you improve your verbal score -- getting 10+ each time. Just keep reading alot of articles, and get the examkrackers verbal book and just do passage after passage.

You will get screened out of some schools with a 7. I'm pretty sure Rush wants an 8+ in each section, otherwise they toss out your application. Not so sure about UIC

Nih, I wouldn't retake until you improve your verbal score -- getting 10+ each time. Just keep reading alot of articles, and get the examkrackers verbal book and just do passage after passage.

You will get screened out of some schools with a 7. I'm pretty sure Rush wants an 8+ in each section, otherwise they toss out your application. Not so sure about UIC

I know someone who was in a similar situation last year. Got a 10, 10, 7 (VR go figure) then an 11, 10, 5 (VR again, ouch! and ironic since they retook it hoping to improve VR). 3.93 GPA and got into UIC in the first batch of acceptances. :love: Hope this helps!

Also ... if schools screen, they will screen any score below a 7. :D

Thank you very much for the advice

Don't retake until you improve...which unfortunately might be too late at this point.

This...

Get the 101 Verbal Passages. If you're not scoring in the score that you want then don't expect to magically do it on the exam. Verbal was usually my best section, but I was sometimes inconsistent. This book (along with abandoning everything kaplan told me) helped me to score consistent 11+ on verbal practice exams. My issue was timing...I would often get distracted and Kaplan's method of writing notes etc. just didn't work for me. After some hardcore verbal work and implementing some of the EK method I was finishing with lots of extra time and scoring well.

A rep came to Champaign a couple years back with whom I talked for a very brief time. When I asked about it, the only thing he told me was that they prefer to admit people of under-represented races... I said uhhh.... thanks?

Me=Whitey to the max...

I hope this was an isolated incident or not true of the program because it sounded really neat.

Apply if you have a genuine interest. There are "non-urms" in the program...

hey everyone! as an incoming M1 at UIC this fall i don't have a whole lot of insight except for the application process.

like mybubbles i am also doing UMed! i agree with everything she said and of COURSE they accept people who are not URMs. they don't care what your racial background is but they do want people who are interested in working with the underserved. it does sound like a neat program so for sure apply if urban medicine is your calling.

as for the application for UMed, i know last year they did not review any applications until the march deadline. i interviewed at UIC in february, turned in my UMed app a couple weeks later, got accepted to UIC in mid march, and then interviewed for UMed during 2nd look day which was in early april. those who got accepted to UMed heard exactly a week later. goodluck! :luck:

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone knew what sort of numbers the RMED and RIMSAP programs accept. I'm from Cook County, which might hurt my push for rural medicine, but I got a 29 on my MCAT (10 BS, 10 VR, 9 PS) and I have a 3.5 cum and 3.2 sci gpa from Notre Dame. Any clue if that is solid enough for any of the two programs? Thanks.

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone knew what sort of numbers the RMED and RIMSAP programs accept. I'm from Cook County, which might hurt my push for rural medicine, but I got a 29 on my MCAT (10 BS, 10 VR, 9 PS) and I have a 3.5 cum and 3.2 sci gpa from Notre Dame. Any clue if that is solid enough for any of the two programs? Thanks.

Domer, I don't know specifically about RMED but I know someone with your exact same numbers who got into the regular program. You should apply anyway if you have solid extra curriculars and rec letters! :)
It's hard to say who will and won't get in based on just numbers...I know people who got rejected with lower and higher numbers than what you just said...you won't know until you try!

This school is a very difficult school to get into. My friend applied with a 3.7 cumulative GPA and a 3.8 science GPA and a 35Q (12 PS, 11 V, 12 BS) and was rejected for "not being diverse enough." He is a white male and it was a shame he did not get accepted because he was certainly qualified. Oh and he went to UIC as an undergrad, lived near Chicago he entire life, and spoke 3 languages one of them being Polish (Chicago has one of the largest Polish communities in the United States).

Status
Not open for further replies.