2025-2026 Carle-Illinois

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for further feeding my delusion 😭 It seems like they sent to July/Early August as of right now and I am mid-August submission so I really want to be delusional. Appreciate you!
I’m curious if those who received accepted all also received the fall virtual session invitation?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a student here, and I'm just going to clear up a few things:
1) The info-sessions went out to everyone who submitted a secondary (so they don't mean you're a finalist) and are just an optional informative thing if you want to learn more about the school. Unless you act like a grade A fool at these sessions and somehow piss an adcom off, they won't have any impact on your admissions.
2) After an initial review, roughly the top 20% of applicants become finalists. Then, a second round of review is done to finalize a rank list, and offers go out based on that list (although not necessarily in order of the ranking, so if you got an A recently it doesn't mean you were #1, just that you were somewhere in the admit zone). They are very conservative with sending out As, so there will be more As, and there will be plenty of WL movement.
3) Idk if Carle explicitly prefers UIUC undergrads, but we have plenty of people in our class who went here for ug so it definitely doesn't hurt.
4) Scholarships aren't necessarily given out to the top of the list; there's usually some specific criteria people fulfill that nets them a scholarship. People who get off the WL also get scholarships.
5) We're generally pretty well socially adjusted, although you're going to run into some weird people at every school. I love my class a lot, and I think the Carle admins are very nice and are working hard to make the school better every year. Happy to answer questions about Carle for anyone who's been admitted, and good luck to everyone in the app cycle!
 
Some unsolicited advice. Make sure to talk to a lot of students if you attend visit days. Especially ask how they like the threads or "engineering" curriculum the first few two years, if lectures are useful, how do they feel about the course schedule, and if they feel their feedback is listened to by faculty and staff. Ask about not just why they are they chose to attend, but also their list of changes they would make to the school. Don't just talk to the tour guides the school selected, talk to the random students who show up for free food. Hold conversations away from staff.
Also, because acceptances are rolling out, if you get a form asking about resources you have (like vehicle access, or programming skills) I've heard to always put "no." This advice works for any school.
Is this implying anything about the school itself? The last sentence appears to detract from that but the fact this message was unsolicited gives me a feeling there’s something going on
 
Is this implying anything about the school itself? The last sentence appears to detract from that but the fact this message was unsolicited gives me a feeling there’s something going on
Yeah, not sure what's going on with this message, but I spoke to a current student after she posted on reddit mentioning she attended. She had nothing but positive things to say, and was neutral/generally positive about the CBL curriculum. Everyone I've seen has been very candid and positive, nobody has mentioned or hinted at anything big behind the scenes. Just my ¢2
 
yeah lol there is nothing crazy going on that I know of so idk what the other person was trying to imply. I'll ask around and see if there's anything bad I'm missing, but genuinely my class is just working hard and having fun...

I personally think most of the engineering at this school happens outside of class in competitions and research opps (we're basically a normal medical school with a whiff of engineering) but we gave the feedback that the engineering curriculum was not super helpful to the admin and they're revamping it for the years below us. The admin do listen to us, make changes to things that don't work, and are so friendly that I willingly drop by for snacks and to talk to them when I don't have to. We have free lunch every Wednesday too for anyone who cares about free food.

I think lectures can be useful depending on the lecturer, and I know people who attend every single lecture and people who never go and only do third party and it works out either way. Our exams are all NBME questions which is absolutely amazing. In M1 year you have lectures in the morning (most of the time optional), problem based learning sessions 2x a week in the morning, clinical skills 1x a week in the afternoon, and 1x a week you'll spend 4 hrs at an afternoon clinic practicing your skills and seeing patients under the supervision of a physician mentor.

The form that the other poster is talking about asks if you have a car because if you don't they'll try and place you at a closer afternoon clinical site for the first year. The furthest site is about an hours drive (which sucks but people listen to podcasts or do Anki cards text to speech while driving), but most of the sites are in Urbana-Champaign or adjoining towns ~20-30 min drive. I would definitely say that you need a car if attending this school, we're serving rural Illinois so things like clinic sites are more spread apart than if you were in a big city. You don't need to know how to program or do math to succeed here, this is a normal medical school that gives you the opportunity to do engineering things IF you want to.

My only big criticism of the school is that we don't have home residency programs for some of the more competitive specialties, which makes it more difficult to find research/network. However, the match lists are still looking great, you just have to be more proactive about networking/finding opportunities if there's no home program (which is true for any institution).
 
yeah lol there is nothing crazy going on that I know of so idk what the other person was trying to imply. I'll ask around and see if there's anything bad I'm missing, but genuinely my class is just working hard and having fun...

I personally think most of the engineering at this school happens outside of class in competitions and research opps (we're basically a normal medical school with a whiff of engineering) but we gave the feedback that the engineering curriculum was not super helpful to the admin and they're revamping it for the years below us. The admin do listen to us, make changes to things that don't work, and are so friendly that I willingly drop by for snacks and to talk to them when I don't have to. We have free lunch every Wednesday too for anyone who cares about free food.

I think lectures can be useful depending on the lecturer, and I know people who attend every single lecture and people who never go and only do third party and it works out either way. Our exams are all NBME questions which is absolutely amazing. In M1 year you have lectures in the morning (most of the time optional), problem based learning sessions 2x a week in the morning, clinical skills 1x a week in the afternoon, and 1x a week you'll spend 4 hrs at an afternoon clinic practicing your skills and seeing patients under the supervision of a physician mentor.

The form that the other poster is talking about asks if you have a car because if you don't they'll try and place you at a closer afternoon clinical site for the first year. The furthest site is about an hours drive (which sucks but people listen to podcasts or do Anki cards text to speech while driving), but most of the sites are in Urbana-Champaign or adjoining towns ~20-30 min drive. I would definitely say that you need a car if attending this school, we're serving rural Illinois so things like clinic sites are more spread apart than if you were in a big city. You don't need to know how to program or do math to succeed here, this is a normal medical school that gives you the opportunity to do engineering things IF you want to.

My only big criticism of the school is that we don't have home residency programs for some of the more competitive specialties, which makes it more difficult to find research/network. However, the match lists are still looking great, you just have to be more proactive about networking/finding opportunities if there's no home program (which is true for any institution).
We genuinely appreciate your taking the time to share and answer any confusion, thank you so much!
 
Of course, I did my BS in Bio(medical) engineering and in my gap year (this year) I am doing my masters in the same thing (at the same school.

I submitted everything on 8/5/25
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I hope your II will turn into an A soon. Will your master last only one year? if not, how do students finish their master if they get into med school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I hope your II will turn into an A soon. Will your master last only one year? if not, how do students finish their master if they get into med school?
i know you didnt ask me, but 1. I think the person you are replying to already got the acceptance; 2. I know students who got accepted into masters program and then got accepted into med school before grad school started just left the program and went to med school. Most students would apply to med school so they matriculate after graduating med school. If a student leaves a masters program to go to med school, it might not look good for the med school, especially if they know the student wont finish.
 
i know you didnt ask me, but 1. I think the person you are replying to already got the acceptance; 2. I know students who got accepted into masters program and then got accepted into med school before grad school started just left the program and went to med school. Most students would apply to med school so they matriculate after graduating med school. If a student leaves a masters program to go to med school, it might not look good for the med school, especially if they know the student wont finish.
There are some schools that have a 4+1 program and it’s quite easy to get the engineering masters. I’m doing mine in 1 semester 🤷‍♀️
 
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I hope your II will turn into an A soon. Will your master last only one year? if not, how do students finish their master if they get into med school?
Hello sorry for late reply but yes I got Acceptance and my masters is 1 year so I will be done before I start med school.

As others said a lot of engineering programs do have a 4+1 and generally masters for engineering is alot easier then undergrad (at least thats what my and my friend's epxreince has been so far - my friends are not doing biomedical they are doing electrical and mechanical). But generally the professors are much more relaxed and they curve alot more so if thats something you are thinking of it can be pretty fun 🙂
 
I wonder when the next drop will be! I know in one of the showcase sessions they mentioned that they wouldn't release decisions until after New Year's but I guess things changed!
 
I wonder when the next drop will be! I know in one of the showcase sessions they mentioned that they wouldn't release decisions until after New Year's but I guess things changed!
I feel like they've been changing things up a lot, but hopefully, we’ll hear back soon! Historically, I think it’s been mid/end of January
 
I wonder when the next drop will be! I know in one of the showcase sessions they mentioned that they wouldn't release decisions until after New Year's but I guess things changed!
At the info session last week, they said their initial acceptance wave was for about 1/4 of their class and that they accept 64 seats. That means only 48 acceptances left (assuming everyone says yes)! I believe he mentioned that they were getting back to the remaining seats (acceptance and waitlist) later this month or next month. We will see if they have any more information tonight!
 
At the info session last week, they said their initial acceptance wave was for about 1/4 of their class and that they accept 64 seats. That means only 48 acceptances left (assuming everyone says yes)! I believe he mentioned that they were getting back to the remaining seats (acceptance and waitlist) later this month or next month. We will see if they have any more information tonight!
Update, they said we’d hear back in March at the meeting today…
 
Thanks for the update. So, after the December As all the remaining As/WLs will be sent out in March right? Did you get an invite for the info session?
In the meeting today, they said that anyone who submitted a secondary was invited to the “virtual visit sessions”. They also said that we would all hear back from them in March, but in last weeks meeting they said the remaining As/WLs would be shared either at the end of the month or sometime in February. So, confused by the conflicting information, but generally it sounds like they want us to know that we have to wait a bit longer to hear from them.
 
In the meeting today, they said that anyone who submitted a secondary was invited to the “virtual visit sessions”. They also said that we would all hear back from them in March, but in last weeks meeting they said the remaining As/WLs would be shared either at the end of the month or sometime in February. So, confused by the conflicting information, but generally it sounds like they want us to know that we have to wait a bit longer to hear from them.
Thank you. Was there a lot of people at each of the sessions that you attended? Also does it seem like that the As/WLs have already been decided irrespective of virtual visit attendance?
 
Thank you. Was there a lot of people at each of the sessions that you attended? Also does it seem like that the As/WLs have already been decided irrespective of virtual visit attendance?
There was 50-75 people at each session. Also, I couldn’t gauge if they had already decided As/WLs. I don’t recall them saying anything about having that decided. They mainly just emphasized that they are still reviewing/deciding things and they are sorry about the wait. Hope this helps!
 
~60 As released so far. There are still finalist apps that they haven't finished reviewing yet, so I'm assuming more offers to come. Last year apx 1/3-1/2? of our class came off of WL, so decent WL movement. Unfortunately, Carle is pretty adamant about not overaccepting people so the A release schedule after the theoretical next round will depend on when people turn down/withdraw their offers. I'd expect much of the movement to happen via offers off the WL, unlike most other schools, which accept almost double the amount of their class size initially.

I also want to say that I have not noticed a difference in the performance of my classmates who came off the WL vs got in during the initial round, and the top of our class has plenty of WLed applicants who are killing it. Carle is just extremely cautious with As, so a lot of our class comes in via WL offer. I am also not posting this to destroy your hopes and dreams (it is very much not over yet), I just wish schools would be a bit more transparent so people would go less insane.
 
~60 As released so far. There are still finalist apps that they haven't finished reviewing yet, so I'm assuming more offers to come. Last year apx 1/3-1/2? of our class came off of WL, so decent WL movement. Unfortunately, Carle is pretty adamant about not overaccepting people so the A release schedule after the theoretical next round will depend on when people turn down/withdraw their offers. I'd expect much of the movement to happen via offers off the WL, unlike most other schools, which accept almost double the amount of their class size initially.

I also want to say that I have not noticed a difference in the performance of my classmates who came off the WL vs got in during the initial round, and the top of our class has plenty of WLed applicants who are killing it. Carle is just extremely cautious with As, so a lot of our class comes in via WL offer. I am also not posting this to destroy your hopes and dreams (it is very much not over yet), I just wish schools would be a bit more transparent so people would go less insane.
Thank you for your post. So you are saying that about 60 As went out already and the next As will only come if someone withdraws.

fakename0987 mentioned in their Tuesday post that they were told during last week info session only 1/4 of As went out, then in the last session this week they were told that they won't hear back until March. Does this mean that they sent out the rest of As in between the two last info sessions? Did they inform applicants who are in the WL? ​

 
Thank you for your post. So you are saying that about 60 As went out already and the next As will only come if someone withdraws.

fakename0987 mentioned in their Tuesday post that they were told during last week info session only 1/4 of As went out, then in the last session this week they were told that they won't hear back until March. Does this mean that they sent out the rest of As in between the two last info sessions? Did they inform applicants who are in the WL? ​

Also wondering where the ~60A information was shared. Did they mention that at one of the info sessions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also wondering where the ~60A information was shared. Did they mention that at one of the info sessions?

At the info session last week, they said their initial acceptance wave was for about 1/4 of their class and that they accept 64 seats. That means only 48 acceptances left (assuming everyone says yes)! I believe he mentioned that they were getting back to the remaining seats (acceptance and waitlist) later this month or next month. We will see if they have any more information tonight!
Admit site has 12 A's of 102 app's reported(total app 2923). If the info is deemed credible, then it's unlikely that only 1/4 of the 64 seats were filled. I think it's more likely that quite a bit more offers were sent out already, unfortunately for those still waiting for the offers 🙁 I'm wondering now how and when the WLs (and additional A's if any) will be sent out.
 
Also wondering where the ~60A information was shared. Did they mention that at one of the info sessions?
I'm a student greeter at Carle! They share admissions updates with us once in a while since we interact with prospective students and that was the latest update we received. I'm not sure when the waves went out, but I can confirm the total so far is 60. There could be another small wave to get the number up to 64ish in between now and March, but I'd expect most of the movement to be later on once people start making school decisions. If you have gotten into Carle and know you don't want to go, please withdraw asap to hasten the movement for the rest of the class! I don't think they've sent out WL updates yet since they are still reviewing applications; they'll probably do that once everything has concluded.
 
I'm a student greeter at Carle! They share admissions updates with us once in a while since we interact with prospective students and that was the latest update we received. I'm not sure when the waves went out, but I can confirm the total so far is 60. There could be another small wave to get the number up to 64ish in between now and March, but I'd expect most of the movement to be later on once people start making school decisions. If you have gotten into Carle and know you don't want to go, please withdraw asap to hasten the movement for the rest of the class! I don't think they've sent out WL updates yet since they are still reviewing applications; they'll probably do that once everything has concluded.
Thank you for the information!
 
Admit site has 12 A's of 102 app's reported(total app 2923). If the info is deemed credible, then it's unlikely that only 1/4 of the 64 seats were filled. I think it's more likely that quite a bit more offers were sent out already, unfortunately for those still waiting for the offers 🙁 I'm wondering now how and when the WLs (and additional A's if any) will be sent out.
With the new information, I definitely think you are right. 🙁 Holding out hope for a later A/WL, but probably have to start preparing for a R and plan to go with one of my other schools
 
+1 OOS A today!

submitted secondary on 8/21. also, my virtual interview didn’t have audio since there was problems uploading apparently so when it played back, there was no sound and I wasn’t allowed to redo it. hopefully this gives some hope for those who may have also had technical issues!
Congrats! Saw this and another three self report on admit, that’s the four additional As to make it to 64 As. Does it mean now they’re done with As? Or maybe they’re actually sending out more than 64 As?
 
Congrats! Saw this and another three self report on admit, that’s the four additional As to make it to 64 As. Does it mean now they’re done with As? Or maybe they’re actually sending out more than 64 As?
I'm in the info session right now. The person said they sent out half of the As. My thought is they expect people to turn down the A so they send out more than 64 As. Although this person was the same one that said they sent out 1/4 of As last info session (about 2 ish weeks ago) so idk...
 
I'm in the info session right now. The person said they sent out half of the As. My thought is they expect people to turn down the A so they send out more than 64 As. Although this person was the same one that said they sent out 1/4 of As last info session (about 2 ish weeks ago) so idk...
It sounds like the rest half of "coming A" is "waiting list" (whether it will really come depends on how many current As turn down their offers); then I recall there was a following up question about waiting list, that officer also acknowledged there will be WL, so the official WL will be the WL of these pseudo-As which are actually "waiting list"...
 
It sounds like the rest half of "coming A" is "waiting list" (whether it will really come depends on how many current As turn down their offers); then I recall there was a following up question about waiting list, that officer also acknowledged there will be WL, so the official WL will be the WL of these pseudo-As which are actually "waiting list"...
either way... my chances are low. good luck to you guys tho! sounds like they have decent waitlist movement
 
I'm in the info session right now. The person said they sent out half of the As. My thought is they expect people to turn down the A so they send out more than 64 As. Although this person was the same one that said they sent out 1/4 of As last info session (about 2 ish weeks ago) so idk...
Interesting. So this (1/2), the info from about two weeks ago (1/4), and what the greeter said (mostly) could all make sense, depending on when each piece of info was shared. It also seems possible that there have been a lot of turn-downs in the past couple of weeks (or that they anticipated that and adjusted), which might have led them to send out additional As from the WL.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Engineering Major at a T10 University, no gap years but over 2,000 hours of research. Ngl I don't know why I got it cause my stats weren't great 😭
probably the engineering background at T10. Engineering classes are hard so they could make your GPA lower than others. I was a half engineering major at UIUC and my GPA was lower than I'd like (mostly my own to blame). Congrats!