The Official "How Does This Schedule Look" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolfman89

2 Legit 2 Quit
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that every few weeks we get a thread asking the question, "How does this schedule look?", so I figured instead of having a bajillion threads for the topic I would make one where anyone could post their schedule and get feedback on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So here is my perspective schedule for this summer and fall semesters:

Summer:

PHYC 151: Physics I (algebra based) (3cr)

Fall:
BIOL 351: Microbiology (3cr)
BIOL 352L: Microbiology Lab (1cr)
CHEM 302: Organic Chemistry II (3cr)
CHEM 303L: Organic Chemistry I Lab (1cr)
MATH 181: Calculus II (3cr)
BIOL 204: Plant and Animal Form and Function (4cr)
BIOL 204L: Plant and Animal Form and Function Lab (CR)
PHIL 245: Professional Ethics

Members don't see this ad :)
Summer:
Stats
Physics 2

Fall: (taking minimum credits because I feel like it and I could do so and still graduate in 4 years)
Biochem
Neurobiology
communication disorders
History of science/medicine

Summer:

Fall:

Personally I wouldn't do that many labs at once but looks good

Fall:

ME 130 - Engineering Analysis
ME 114 - Heat Transfer
ME 115 - Heat Transfer Lab
CE 112 - Mechanics of Materials
ENGR 100W - Technical Writing

Summer I (6 credits)
BIO360: Biochemistry
PHIL334: Engineering Ethics

Summer II (3 credits)
BIO352: Genetics

Fall (16 credits)
BIO340: Mammalian Physiology + Physiology Lab
BIO368: Ecology/Evolution of Disease-Honors
BIO355: Cell Biology
CHEM244: Organic Chemistry II
CHEM244A: Organic Chemistry Lab
PHYS 121A: Physics II Lab

Plus I'll be preparing for my MCAT, volunteering, and working part time.

Personally I wouldn't do that many labs at once but looks good

I don't want to have to take that many labs, but the 204L and the 352L are required as corequisites.

Summer I (6 credits)
BIO360: Biochemistry
PHIL334: Engineering Ethics

Summer II (3 credits)
BIO352: Genetics

Fall (16 credits)
BIO340: Mammalian Physiology + Physiology Lab
BIO368: Ecology/Evolution of Disease-Honors
BIO355: Cell Biology
CHEM244: Organic Chemistry II
CHEM244A: Organic Chemistry Lab
PHYS 121A: Physics II Lab

Plus I'll be preparing for my MCAT, volunteering, and working part time.

Why the engineering ethics?

I agree. Great thread Wolfy! :)

Also.....fertilized.

Members don't see this ad :)
herp derp Fall 2011

Abnormal Psych - 3 credits
Genetics - 3 credits
Problems in Genetics - 1 credit
Biochemistry - 3 credits
Biochem Lab - 2 credits
Gen. Physics I - 3 credits
Gen. Physics Lab - 1 credit

Total = 16 credits

Probably will be volunteering like a baus also.

Fall Sophomore Neuroscience Major Schedule:

-Orgo 1
-Orgo 1 Lab
-Cellular Neuroscience (major requirement)
-French 1
-Music Theory (fine arts requirement)
-Intro Cell Bio Lab
-Anthropology of Women & Men (core requirement)
=18 Hours

What do you guys think?

I am a little worried about my summer schedule, but I am worried about every schedule, lol

CHM 1046 - Chem 2 - 12 weeks
CHM 1046L - Chem 2 Lab - 12 weeks
PHY 2053 Physics 1 - 6 weeks
PHY 2053L Lab - 6 weeks
PHY 2054 Physics 2 - 6 weeks
PHY 2054L Lab - 6 weeks

12 week Chem 2 with the 6 week Phys 1 & 2 seems a little daunting. What do you think?

Summer:

Fall:

-Physics should be fine, take Cardimona if he's teaching.
-I think you should be able to handle it, I had a very similar schedule a couple semesters ago.

My schedule doesn't look as frustrating as some. I've got Sagacious's opinion on this as well, but what do you all think?

Summer:
Calculus
American Government (re-take because I made a C in it:))
(6 hours)

Fall:
Chem 1 with a Lab
Physics 1 with a Lab
Elementary German
Scuba
(12 Hours)

I was thinking of changing the Fall semester and dropping the German and Scuba and just adding O-Chem that way I could take the MCAT next year. I'm a Sophomore and I've only taken a few pre-reqs. Also, I was considering dropping everything in the Summer and taking Chem 1 and 2.

A Biology dept advisor actually told me to do that (regarding Summer), but a pre-med advisor told me that I shouldn't. He said that I needed to make sure that I learned the material and not simply memorized it for those courses and that it would make studying for the MCAT much easier.

If I don't do the Chem 1 and 2 during the Summer I'll probably have to take the MCAT in 2013 and graduate in five years instead of four. Also, keep in mind that I'd be doing normal ECs as well: two paid positions on campus, volunteering ~4/week and shadowing. Any helpful comments would be much appreciated!

^ Doable, Chem I was a breeze along with lab. Physics one was bad, but mainly because of the professor.

German ain't too bad (took it in HS), and Scuba should be fun!

Summer:
MCAT Prep for Aug. 19 test date :D

Fall:
Physical Chemistry (3 credits) :eek:
Biochemistry (3 credits)
Methods of Chemical Research (3 credits)
Fact, Truth, Fiction (3 credits)
I'm also getting 1 credit each for two peer mentor positions I'm taking on.

Total: 14 credits

Why the engineering ethics?

It's the philosophy class everybody at my school takes. I thought of taking "Problems in Philosophy" but they offer more sections of "Engineering Ethics" so it was easier for me to register.

Cool, so I am not the only one who is taking O-Chem Dos lecture with O-Chem uno lab!

My school requires us to take organic chemistry lab while taking organic chemistry II or after. :confused:

I am a little worried about my summer schedule, but I am worried about every schedule, lol

CHM 1046 - Chem 2 - 12 weeks
CHM 1046L - Chem 2 Lab - 12 weeks
PHY 2053 Physics 1 - 6 weeks
PHY 2053L Lab - 6 weeks
PHY 2054 Physics 2 - 6 weeks
PHY 2054L Lab - 6 weeks

12 week Chem 2 with the 6 week Phys 1 & 2 seems a little daunting. What do you think?

This does seem like a full load, especially since they are all science classes. Last summer I took 11 credits. Physics I & Physics I Lab were about 6-8 weeks long. I also took Calculus I which was a 12 week long class and Principles of Management which was 12 weeks long. It was quite overwhelming but I took all the classes with a good friend of mine so I think being able to suffer with somebody else and have someone there to study with made things easier.

How did you do in Gen Chem 1?

My school requires us to take organic chemistry lab while taking organic chemistry II or after. :confused:

At my school you can take o-chem I lab while you take o-chem I lecture.

-Physics should be fine, take Cardimona if he's teaching.
-I think you should be able to handle it, I had a very similar schedule a couple semesters ago.

Morgan-Tracy is teaching it this summer, but I will try and take Physics II with Cardimona.

Summer 1:
English literature
College Algebra
Anatomy/physiology w/ lab
Summer 2:
Physics 1 w/ lab
General Chemistry 2 w/lab

Fall:

Behavioral neuroscience
integrative neuroscience
Organic chemistry 1 w/ lab
Modern Biology 2 w/lab
Statistics

registration is done and now awaiting a gruesome summer/fall semester :(

Last edited:
At my school you can take o-chem I lab while you take o-chem I lecture.

Morgan-Tracy is teaching it this summer, but I will try and take Physics II with Cardimona.

My school doesn't have an o-chem 1 lab. We have organic chemistry I and organic chemistry II which are both 3 credit courses. Organic chemistry lab is 2 credits. Thus I shall have accomplished the 8 credit requirement of organic chemistry to apply to medical school. I guess it's okay. I would prefer a semester of lab over two.

I wanted to take Organic Chemistry II over the summer but my school didn't offer it and I discovered that some of the other universities around here offers Organic Chemistry I & Organic Chemistry II as two four credit courses. I have no idea how that works so I ended up just holding off on Organic Chemistry II until the fall when my school offers it again.. I don't understand why schools can't just standardize things like this -_-.

summer :
session 1- business management (3 units ) , philosophy logic (3 units)

fall:
quantitative chemistry + lab (4), accounting A (3 units), macro econ(3 units),
required research (2) units , maybe 1 ge (3 units)

I'm a biochemistry major minoring in business, just in case if anyone is wondering why I'm taking business classes :D

Thank god for finishing med school requirements! Now thats left are the recommended courses such as biochem, microbio, physio, anatomy, and stats! Done with upper div writing!!

I can sort of see the finish line! SORT OF :laugh:

Summer 1:
English literature
College Algebra
Anatomy/physiology w/ lab
Is there a particular reason why you're taking A&P? If it's not a requirement for you, I'd save my money/time and opt out of taking it over the summer (and altogether for that matter). You'd get MUCH more out of a straight up Physiology class without all the pesky rote memorization of anatomy.

pharmacology I
toxicology
Pchem (for life sciences)
Molecular bio
medical ethics

Is there a particular reason why you're taking A&P? If it's not a requirement for you, I'd save my money/time and opt out of taking it over the summer (and altogether for that matter). You'd get MUCH more out of a straight up Physiology class without all the pesky rote memorization of anatomy.

it's the only 4 credit science class that i would fit my schedule for the summer so I can complete my associates on time. No other course can substitute it sadly and yea I'm def not looking forward to the memorization.

You'd have to pay me very handsomely to take on a schedule like this.

o believe me i wouldnt if i didnt have to, but pchem and medical ethics are the only 2 electives that fit with the other required classes...just hoping i have enough juice left in the tank after i take the mcat on 9/10:xf:

Summer

Applied Statistics- 3 crd's
Biology internship- 1 crd's

Fall
US History from 1838 - 3 crd's
Families in Society- 3 crds's
Applied calculus - 3 crd's
Element of Art - 3 crdt
General Zoology- 2 crdt
General Zoology Lab - 1 crd
Molecular biology 3 crd
Biological Seminar- I crd
Hyper class 1 crd -(havent sihned up for it yet)

This is what it is for the fall unless some chemistry class that i want to take is offered....

I know the thread is kind of dead, but I thought I would update mine.

Fall:
Physics 1 w/ Lab
Chem 1 w/ Lab
German
Scuba
Research Methods in Bio
Independent Research Project (Cancer research with my professor!:D)
Grand Total: 15 hours

I know the thread is kind of dead, but I thought I would update mine.

Fall:
Physics 1 w/ Lab
Chem 1 w/ Lab
German
Scuba
Research Methods in Bio
Independent Research Project (Cancer research with my professor!:D)
Grand Total: 15 hours

I always wanted to take a scuba class!!!

Also, how hard is it to transition into taking three lab sciences? I am currently signed up for just organic I and physics I this fall because I think it will be easier to manage, but for Biochem I need to take Bio II at the same time. I am currently taking gen chem II calc II and bio I and doing low Bish in all of them. :(

I always wanted to take a scuba class!!!

Also, how hard is it to transition into taking three lab sciences? I am currently signed up for just organic I and physics I this fall because I think it will be easier to manage, but for Biochem I need to take Bio II at the same time. I am currently taking gen chem II calc II and bio I and doing low Bish in all of them. :(
Taking three labs that involve extensive lab reports all at once will probably wreck your GPA unless you have amazing time management skills. I tried it once and I had basically no time to do anything for my other classes. It was awful.

torshi, how long are those summer sessions? That sounds like a lot of work. Are you going to be doing anything else, like working or volunteering? I would reconsider, if you are. Fall sounds reasonable though!
ktran, biochem/business is interesting! Out of curiousity, any particular reason why you're doing it? Anyway, looks like a good schedule.
Genefreak, fall looks like way too many classes. Any chance of spreading them out a bit?
PressPforPi, sounds good! Kind of jealous of the scuba class, haha. Grats on the research project, that's gotta be interesting!

I had a topic about my schedule. Right now I'm signed up to do organic chemistry lecture and lab over the summer, but I was advised not to do it and work at the same time, so I spread it out a bit more. What about this schedule?

Summer I - organic chemistry I lecture
Summer II - organic chemistry II lecture
plus working 20-30 hours/week

Fall -
- cell and molecular biology (4 credits)
- physics lecture + lab (4 credits)
- biochemistry lecture (3 credits)
- organic chemistry I lab + discussion (2 credits)
- genetics lab (1 credit)
- either a gen ed class or a physical education class to meet tuition cap (I want my money's worth, aye!)
- plus working 20 hours a week and other extracurriculars

Taking three labs that involve extensive lab reports all at once will probably wreck your GPA unless you have amazing time management skills. I tried it once and I had basically no time to do anything for my other classes. It was awful.

So would it be better to just take these three science classes and go with 12 credits for the semester? Or should I try to space out my science classes as much as possible with ~2 a semester?

So would it be better to just take these three science classes and go with 12 credits for the semester? Or should I try to space out my science classes as much as possible with ~2 a semester?

In my experience, taking three science classes in one semester sucks. I did it once with 21 credits and then did it again with 15. Yeah... I should have learned my lesson the first time. Both times were awful and I had to work insanely hard to do well.
I find my semesters more enjoyable when I take only two science classes (maybe three if they don't have labs with them) and then a general education course or one of my honors seminars.

torshi, how long are those summer sessions? That sounds like a lot of work. Are you going to be doing anything else, like working or volunteering? I would reconsider, if you are. Fall sounds reasonable though!

Each summer is about a month long. The Eng lit class is a maymester and also a month. And nah goin to school full-time. Prob finishing up my EC's this semester.

ktran, biochem/business is interesting! Out of curiousity, any particular reason why you're doing it? Anyway, looks like a good schedule.
Genefreak, fall looks like way too many classes. Any chance of spreading them out a bit?
PressPforPi, sounds good! Kind of jealous of the scuba class, haha. Grats on the research project, that's gotta be interesting!

I had a topic about my schedule. Right now I'm signed up to do organic chemistry lecture and lab over the summer, but I was advised not to do it and work at the same time, so I spread it out a bit more. What about this schedule?

Summer I - organic chemistry I lecture
Summer II - organic chemistry II lecture
plus working 20-30 hours/week

Fall -
- cell and molecular biology (4 credits)
- physics lecture + lab (4 credits)
- biochemistry lecture (3 credits)
- organic chemistry I lab + discussion (2 credits)
- genetics lab (1 credit)
- either a gen ed class or a physical education class to meet tuition cap (I want my money's worth, aye!)
- plus working 20 hours a week and other extracurriculars
Thanks bro! It's only a half semester class, but I'm looking forward to it and also doing the open water dive afterwards.

It seems like you're taking your labs at a later date from your lecture, correct me if I'm wrong, if so, how does that work? My college requires that you take both at the same time. I thought it worked that way everywhere? Please excuse my ignorance if that's not the case.

Thanks bro! It's only a half semester class, but I'm looking forward to it and also doing the open water dive afterwards.

It seems like you're taking your labs at a later date from your lecture, correct me if I'm wrong, if so, how does that work? My college requires that you take both at the same time. I thought it worked that way everywhere? Please excuse my ignorance if that's not the case.

Some schools you register for lecture and lab and lab being 1 credit.
The school I currently attend have lecture and lab together and there is no option to register for lab separately. Schools are different

I have no choice but to fill my schedule with science and/or math courses. I didn't realize what I wanted to do with my life until last semester and before that, I was just taking core classes. Now I have no other option if I want to get done in a decent amount of time.

My advice, if you can, take around two science classes (as torshi said) per semester and toss in a fun gen ed class, math, or a core requirement. I'm not so lucky. BUT, I guess it should be good prep for med school:rolleyes:

Some schools you register for lecture and lab and lab being 1 credit.
The school I currently attend have lecture and lab together and there is no option to register for lab separately. Schools are different
Thanks for informing me! Some of the upper level bio classes here are like that, but most of the time when you register you have to add the lecture class number and then the lab class number. Kind of a pain in the ass.

How is:

UNIV 200
STATS 210
BIO 152 w/ Lab
CHEM 102 w/ Lab
BIO 151 Lab
and another 1 credit mandatory impossible to fail class

The Eng lit class is during the whole month of May
College Alg and anatomy/physiology is the whole month of June
Physics 2 and Gen chem 2 is the whole month of July

not that bad

Oh.. it's only a month? Then you're looking at 40 hours a week with Physics and gen chem 2. At my school the chemistry lab is alone.. 9 hours a week of work.. the lecture is around 6. The physics class with lab is maybe around 12 hours a week of pure in class work. Since you're classes are actually shorter than mine ( My summer session is July to mid August) you'll probably be seeing up wards of 20 hours of in class work for just chemistry.
It's frankly suicide..

Wow, after reading over this thread, I feel like a sissy...

Summer:

Biology II with lab
American History I
American History II
Intermediate College Algebra
Nutrition

Fall:

Anatomy and Physiology I with lab
Precalculus I
Social Psychology
Human Sexuality
Group dynamics (level 2 psychology)
Statistics

I am a psychology major with a handful of gen-eds left to go. I am still in the very beginning stages of my sciences...and having never been required to take maths or sciences before it is kinda hard...I am scared of chemistry and think I am going to take an intro course before taking the general lab version.

Great idea putting all these questions into one topic!

I'm a non-trad, about to starting taking my pre-reqs this summer. Since I have never taken these science courses before, some advice about time committment and level of difficulty would be greatly appreciated. Things to keep in mind:

- I will be working fulltime through summer 2011, after which my hours will drop to ~20-30/wk.
- Vounteer 2 nights a week (6pm-6am) for EMS. The amount of time I get to study depends on how many people decide to call 911 that night.
- Enrolled in paramedic program until end of 2011 (practically a full time job in itself)
- Will also be doing extra activities to bolster EC's (shadowing, non-medical volunteering etc.)

Summer 2011
Calc I

Fall 2011
Bio I
Chem I

Spring 2012
Bio II
Chem II
Calc II

Summer 2012
O-Chem I
O-Chem II

Fall 2012
Physics I
Biochem I
Physiology

Spring 2013
Physics II
Biochem II
Extra class (suggestions?)
MCAT prep

Summer 2013
MCAT

Summer O-Chem has me worried, but after searching through similar threads it appears that many people have been able to survive. Flexibility has me worried too - if I don't get enrolled in these classes as scheduled (full class or something) it could derail everything.

SUMMER
3 intro to ethics
4 genetics
5 chem 2, lab

FALL
3 Organic chem 1, (no lab, but doubles in 2nd o chem)
3 intro to neuroscience
3 molecular biology of the cell
5 intro to elementary russian
3 methods of psychological inquiry

plus 24-32hrs/week of work and NEED to do some volunteering/shadowing pronto.