2012-2013 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Duluth Prompts:

All essays have an 800-character limit.

In what ways do you fit the goals of this school?
2. How familiar are you with life in a rural setting or American Indian community?
3. What are some of the professional and personal advantages and disadvantages of a rural family medicine practice?
4. How have you familiarized yourself with the field of medicine?
5. How have your volunteer experiences influenced your life goals?
6. Briefly describe your career plans in the event that you do not attend medical school.
7. Have you ever struggled with being honest and compassionate at the same time? Describe the situation, the struggles and, if there was one, the resolution.
8. Describe an experience you have had working in a team (other than a sports team), what role you played, and your comfort level with that role.
9. What does lifelong learning mean to you?
10. What are your recreational and leisure activities?
11. Medical school can be stressful. What coping skills have you used in the past to deal with stressful situations?
12. Please use this space to update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation dates, additions to your extracurricular activities, and anything else you feel the Committee should know.
13. Please describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated please indicate what you have been doing since graduation and what your plans are for the coming year.
14. FOR REAPPLICANTS ONLY: What have you done to improve your application to medical school?
15. Were you ever the recipient of any action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations?
16. If yes (15), please explain.
17. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation?
18. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
19. If the answer is yes to either question (17/18), please explain.
20. Do you consider yourself a resident of the State of Minnesota?
21. If yes, how long have you been a resident of Minnesota?
22. Describe your ties to the state of Minnesota.

Twin Cities Prompts:

*1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS essay, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 1500)

*2. Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it.

*3. Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations.

How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities student body?

*4. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. If you are a Minnesota resident, please enter N/A.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 300)

*5. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 1200)

*6. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. If there are none, please enter N/A.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 1200)

*7. Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is:
0 characters (min: 1, max: 300)

*9. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? If there is none, please enter N/A.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 900)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow, this thread being up just made the process seem a lot more real..! :scared:

anybody have any idea on when the secondaries will be released? even tentatively?

I wouldn't mind spending 4 more years in the Twin Cities!

Hey guys, just a quick question about the two Minn campuses. Apparently each campus has a separate app fee of $75, and I would rather pay not pay $150 to apply to both. The only difference I know between the two is that Duluth caters to students interested in rural health whereas the Minneapolis/St. Paul campus has more opportunities for research. Are there any other significant differences as far as educational opportunities or curriculum that should factor into this decision?

The duluth campus wants students from rural backgrounds and a letter of reccomendation from a rural physician.

Last edited:
Just got my email telling me to choose which program I want to apply to and then I will receive a secondary. Really happy, I like this school a lot. I had meetings with two of the adcoms for the MD/PhD program a year ago, I met some of the students, and this school is great. Seemed like the students here were more concerned with being good doctors instead of gunning to be at the top of the class.

Does Twin Cities accept a lot of Out of State applicants? I have no ties to the area and i'm a Michigan resident, but I do have some interest in Twin Cities.

I'll be applying next year.

All essays have an 800-character limit.

In what ways do you fit the goals of this school?
2. How familiar are you with life in a rural setting or American Indian community?
3. What are some of the professional and personal advantages and disadvantages of a rural family medicine practice?
4. How have you familiarized yourself with the field of medicine?
5. How have your volunteer experiences influenced your life goals?
6. Briefly describe your career plans in the event that you do not attend medical school.
7. Have you ever struggled with being honest and compassionate at the same time? Describe the situation, the struggles and, if there was one, the resolution.
8. Describe an experience you have had working in a team (other than a sports team), what role you played, and your comfort level with that role.
9. What does lifelong learning mean to you?
10. What are your recreational and leisure activities?
11. Medical school can be stressful. What coping skills have you used in the past to deal with stressful situations?
12. Please use this space to update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation dates, additions to your extracurricular activities, and anything else you feel the Committee should know.
13. Please describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated please indicate what you have been doing since graduation and what your plans are for the coming year.
14. FOR REAPPLICANTS ONLY: What have you done to improve your application to medical school?
15. Were you ever the recipient of any action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violations?
16. If yes (15), please explain.
17. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation?
18. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
19. If the answer is yes to either question (17/18), please explain.
20. Do you consider yourself a resident of the State of Minnesota?
21. If yes, how long have you been a resident of Minnesota?
22. Describe your ties to the state of Minnesota.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

This is the Minnesota-Duluth prompts. The Minnesota-Twin Cities prompts to my knowledge have not been released yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Twin Cities accept a lot of Out of State applicants? I have no ties to the area and i'm a Michigan resident, but I do have some interest in Twin Cities.

I'll be applying next year.

about 18% OOS so no not a whole lot especially if you don't have ties.

As a Minnesota resident, a re-re-applicant, and friend to a large number of students in the medical school, I know for a fact the university selects fantastic and incredibly qualified individuals. I would LOVE to go to the U... I know several faculty in the Academic Health schools, all of whom are incredibly friendly people who want to see students succeed and participate in things going on at the university.

It would make my day (days?) if I could go here!

Does anyone have thoughts about entering the science courses when you've had combined lab/lectures? Is the separate entry for the lab grade only for those individuals who have not had a combined course, or is everyone expected to give them a "lab grade" even if it was just integrated into the single course grade?

Does anyone have thoughts about entering the science courses when you've had combined lab/lectures? Is the separate entry for the lab grade only for those individuals who have not had a combined course, or is everyone expected to give them a "lab grade" even if it was just integrated into the single course grade?
Are you referring to the Duluth secondary? If so, I think I would treat it much the same way as the AMCAS (e.g. "Biology 101 and Lab") and then maybe a quick note in the spaces for 'Lab Name and Number'/'Lab Grade' (e.g. "Combined with lecture").

Did anybody receive any sort of confirmation email or anything after submitting that original "choose Duluth or TC" email? I am applying TC only but I haven't received anything in a week.

Did anybody receive any sort of confirmation email or anything after submitting that original "choose Duluth or TC" email? I am applying TC only but I haven't received anything in a week.

Same. Dey be takin their sweet sweet time in ze land of 10,000 lakes.

i'm going to guess it'll be a little later in the cycle. from what i've heard they take their time.

To anyone filling out the Duluth supplemental- When you mark a town as your hometown, does it show up gray in the Residential History section? The key says a gray box "denotes Hometown" but in the chart, my hometown looks the same as all the others :lame:

To anyone filling out the Duluth supplemental- When you mark a town as your hometown, does it show up gray in the Residential History section? The key says a gray box "denotes Hometown" but in the chart, my hometown looks the same as all the others :lame:

Hm so the Duluthers got their secondary; have any TCers gotten it? I'm still worried that I haven't even received a simple confirmation email...

/paranoia

UoMinn TC tends to take their sweet time...

For those applying to Duluth does it take some time for your fee payment status to change or does it do it automatically?

I only have one town listed, and it doesn't show up gray either; I checked it in a different browser too so that's not the issue. I imagine it's not a big deal - it will probably show up just fine when the adcom looks at it.

For those applying to Duluth does it take some time for your fee payment status to change or does it do it automatically?

I submitted Sunday and it changed Tuesday. Payment probably just needs to process. You'll see the change tomorrow or Thursday.

A close friend of mine just got admitted there for this coming year... the UoMinn-TC tends to be extreeemely slow. Whereas another close friend got in to the UoMinn-Duluth a couple years back in the beginning of November. I haven't received the TC secondary or anything regarding the school other than me telling them Duluth was a no-go.

I'm still too lazy to check last years thread to check how it ended up...

Just stopped by the twin cities admissions office. They said they'll start sending out secondaries on Wednesday

From friends I have spoken to at the school now, they've REALLY improved the process and started things much earlier. Kudos to the leadership team there!

Got an email detailing the process today. We're getting close!

Got an email detailing the process today. We're getting close!

same here. i like getting updates from the schools especially the ones that haven't released things yet. lets you know they care that your applying. or at least it seems so :laugh:

Hey gang, I'm new to SDN but have applied to the U and will be following this thread through the fall/winter. I submitted my AMCAS a few weeks later than the earliest batch (June 20th), and am hoping to be verified by the end of this week/early next week. Applying to both the Duluth and TC campus, and received the secondary for Duluth a few weeks ago. For those that got the update email from TC, I'm assuming that you all have already been verified by AMCAS - would anyone care to share the info that they received in the email update from TC? Hearing from applicants in the past, it seems like you'll receive a TC secondary a month or so after you are verified, does that seem to be the theme for this year as well? Thanks for the help!

Hey gang, I'm new to SDN but have applied to the U and will be following this thread through the fall/winter. I submitted my AMCAS a few weeks later than the earliest batch (June 20th), and am hoping to be verified by the end of this week/early next week. Applying to both the Duluth and TC campus, and received the secondary for Duluth a few weeks ago. For those that got the update email from TC, I'm assuming that you all have already been verified by AMCAS - would anyone care to share the info that they received in the email update from TC? Hearing from applicants in the past, it seems like you'll receive a TC secondary a month or so after you are verified, does that seem to be the theme for this year as well? Thanks for the help!

pretty much all we got was a link to the pages on their website detailing the process, requirements, criteria, etc. nothing news flash worthy

As mentioned before, UMinn-TC is probably one of the last schools you'll hear back from. Not sure why this is.

For sure agree with this I got my secondary for TC a day after scheduling my interview for Duluth.

I spoke with a U of M med student representing the school today at the NIH professional school fair. She said they are attempting to speed up the admissions process this year. Take it with a grain of salt. We'll see.

I would love to get back into the interview pool this year! The more time I spend in the Academic Health Center, the more I am impressed with the faculty and staff at the university... I look forward to meeting everyone (i.e. potential classmates)!

anyone know if the character count is with spaces or w/o spaces?

Thanks =]

I'm a MN resident received the email for Duluth and TC, and I submitted a secondary for Duluth. Still waiting on the TC campus secondary though!! Little worried haha.

I'm a MN resident received the email for Duluth and TC, and I submitted a secondary for Duluth. Still waiting on the TC campus secondary though!! Little worried haha.

i'm in the same boat.

Are you supposed to get the email asking you to choose which campuses even if you're not verified yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.