2012-2013 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys sorry if this has been answered earlier in the thread, i'm on my phone and it's hard to look back at all the posts. anyway I just got the email invite to do the secondary, i'm OOS and have already spent sooo much money i'm not sure if it's worth it for me to do this one, anyway just wondering how much of a hurdle it is to receive the secondary here? thanks!

It is not a hurdle, they do not screen.

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression they did?

This could be wrong but I've heard through word of mouth that they only screen to make sure you haven't met the maximum applications and that the time between your 2nd and 3rd were separated by a minimum of two years.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i received an email about a month ago saying they screen and then send secondaries..

this was the first couple of paragraphs in that email:

Dear Applicant:

The Office of Admissions has received your 2013 American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) application to the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities. Please take a moment to become familiar with our application process at http://www.meded.umn.edu/admissions/application_process.php.

Over the next few months, the Admissions Committee will review all verified applications and send supplemental applications only to qualified applicants. Those invited to complete the supplemental application will receive another email after their application is screened against our school's selection criteria and application polices.

To view the selection criteria used by the Committee, visit the following address: http://www.meded.umn.edu/admissions/selection.php. Reapplicants and international citizens must meet certain requirements before they are given access to the application as well. These requirements are listed here http://www.meded.umn.edu/admissions/reapplication.php and here http://www.meded.umn.edu/admissions/internationa

i'm probably just not going to do this one, chances are slim for me

The secondary email I received made it sound like they don't screen at all. They even give you the MCAT and GPA range they expect and say if you're not in it you need not apply.

The secondary email I received made it sound like they don't screen at all. They even give you the MCAT and GPA range they expect and say if you're not in it you need not apply.
Yup that info was in the secondary email I got today, so you never got the email I posted above? Weird

Has anyone still not received the secondary for TC? I've been waiting on this one a while...I was verified 7/18. I'm OOS

What is said range?

What is said range?

I think this is what they were referring to:

"The middle 50% of applicants invited to interview with our Admissions Committee had GPAs that ranged from 3.29 to 3.92 and MCAT scores that ranged from 29 to 37."

I went to a talk about 6 months ago given by the Dean of Admissions (who actually left for JHU recently). Anyway, he said that the screening they do is very minimal -- basically unless your stats were horrific and/or you don't meet basic eligibility criteria, you were getting a secondary invite.

just got an interview invite!!! :D :D

the dates they're scheduling for are in 1-2 weeks...omg! not ready!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the II today too! All dates were within the next month for me, so fast!

Hey guys, for those of you who got interview invites can you tell us when you were complete?

Great thanks for the info, I ask because I'm coming back to MN for a weekend at the end of September, and I had made a note in my application that if they were able to offer me an interview invitation, that I would that time frame. I was only complete a few days after you all, so hopefully I will hear soon.

Great thanks for the info, I ask because I'm coming back to MN for a weekend at the end of September, and I had made a note in my application that if they were able to offer me an interview invitation, that I would that time frame. I was only complete a few days after you all, so hopefully I will hear soon.

I'll keep my :xf: for ya! I guess they are moving faster this year than in previous years, so hopefully you'll hear news soon!

I'll keep my :xf: for ya! I guess they are moving faster this year than in previous years, so hopefully you'll hear news soon!

Not all that happy that they're moving faster this year.

I've been verified since early July and just got my secondary late this week...

It probably won't matter, but I wish they'd be a little more on the ball in that regard if they're already kicking out IIs.

The SDNers on here with IIs that have MDapps are both residents of MN. With an N=2 the stats aren't too good, but do you think II are going out for residents first? I have a hunch residents got the secondaries first and are now getting IIs first.

Received and submitted the secondary today! It was my last one!!! :soexcited:

For you other OOSers, how are you responding to the "Minnesota Ties" question? Since it is only 300 characters (that's insane!) are you addressing it in list format?

For you other OOSers, how are you responding to the "Minnesota Ties" question? Since it is only 300 characters (that's insane!) are you addressing it in list format?

I addressed mine very briefly in prose...

Anybody else with an II receive a confirmation of their date yet? I sent in my preferences about a week ago without a response

Interview invite! I submitted my application 8/2 and I'm a resident.

I received the email on 8/17 that they received my primary, but I still haven't received a supplemental invite. My stats are in the middle of the range that account for 50% of interviews. I know I'm later than is ideal, but any idea when I might get the secondary invite? Cheezhead, when were u verified w/ AMCAS? BTW, I am a Minnesota resident. Thx!

Interview Invite this morning! I wasn't expecting to get an invite for awhile, if at all, because i'm OOS. but its a pleasant surprise :)

I rhetorically wonder aloud if any of these interview invites are for Duluth and not the U... :laugh:

Anybody else with an II receive a confirmation of their date yet? I sent in my preferences about a week ago without a response

Same here. I called and they said mine is scheduled for 17th. I think they are just slow at getting emails out.

I'm from Wisconsin, which is practically the same state, so general Midwestern-ness was the topic of my "ties"

I received the email on 8/17 that they received my primary, but I still haven't received a supplemental invite. My stats are in the middle of the range that account for 50% of interviews. I know I'm later than is ideal, but any idea when I might get the secondary invite? Cheezhead, when were u verified w/ AMCAS? BTW, I am a Minnesota resident. Thx!

I was verified 7/20 and received notice from U Minn that my AMCAS application was received on 7/23, so it took over a month for them to get me the secondary. The waiting game was a little rough, I will admit.

Good luck to everyone!!! :luck:

Interview invite to Duluth! Just got the phone call an hour or so ago! MN native with submission on the 17th of July! Anyone else headed there on the 12th?

Interview invite to Duluth! Just got the phone call an hour or so ago! MN native with submission on the 17th of July! Anyone else headed there on the 12th?
Going on the fourth - early decision process, I actually just heard back from them yesterday. Talk about a short time frame between the invite and the actual interview date. Nice location, by the way - big fan of the series.

Going on the fourth - early decision process, I actually just heard back from them yesterday. Talk about a short time frame between the invite and the actual interview date. Nice location, by the way - big fan of the series.

i hear ya on the short turn around time. when i was told they were scheduling for the week of the tenth, I was kind of shocked! but oh well! it'll be good to do one and see what its all about!

The show is great, as are the books. If you haven't read them you should definitely check them out! :D

i hear ya on the short turn around time. when i was told they were scheduling for the week of the tenth, I was kind of shocked! but oh well! it'll be good to do one and see what its all about!

The show is great, as are the books. If you haven't read them you should definitely check them out! :D
Oh yeah I definitely enjoy the show, but no doubt the books are superior - they go so much deeper into details and background

Got the call today from Susan to schedule my interview at Duluth, will be there on 9/11. Good luck to all those with Duluth interviews! I interviewed last year and was waitlisted so if you have any questions about interview day feel free to ask away here or pm me.

Okay so this may seem like a silly question, but I really need a serious answer. For the state ties question, would it be acceptable to say that my boyfriend's family lives in Minnesota? I know it's not a great tie...but apart from UMTC having a great medschool, this is really the main reason I'm applying. There's a good chance that I will practice in Minnesota if I get into the program. Again, I know it sounds kind of immature, but we've been together for 4 years and will most likely be engaged in the next few months. I appreciate any advice with this! Thanks :)

Okay so this may seem like a silly question, but I really need a serious answer. For the state ties question, would it be acceptable to say that my boyfriend's family lives in Minnesota? I know it's not a great tie...but apart from UMTC having a great medschool, this is really the main reason I'm applying. There's a good chance that I will practice in Minnesota if I get into the program. Again, I know it sounds kind of immature, but we've been together for 4 years and will most likely be engaged in the next few months. I appreciate any advice with this! Thanks :)

I'm not an adcom member or anything but I'd imagine if you can get the point across that your relationship is serious and longterm that that might be a good tie. If you can make it sound genuine that you'll stay for a future career even better.

That sounds like a huge stretch of a tie to MN, personally. I think they'd rather you be honest about your intention in applying if you aren't from MN rather than saying your boyfriend's family resides there.

Say your significant other and let them decide if it is a significant tie. I didn't apply to one state school even though I lived there for a few years because I have no relatives or friends (I was a small child) left there. You have "people" ties to MN, I think it is legitimate. People don't live in MN because they love not sub zero weather and muggy mosquito summers. Ties to people usually keep them around.

That sounds like a huge stretch of a tie to MN, personally. I think they'd rather you be honest about your intention in applying if you aren't from MN rather than saying your boyfriend's family resides there.

I agree with the previous poster. This is a legit tie. I might even so far as to say "partner" or "serious boyfriend" in order to sort of prove your point. (ie, this isn't a summer fling!) if that makes sense. Anyway, i think that this counts as a state tie and you should use it. explain that you've visited, learned about the community, the people etc.

It's not a legitimate tie if she's just mentioning it simply to use it as a tie. If she extensively visits her boyfriend's family and it's a big part of her life, then yeah, it would be.. but from her wording, it clearly doesn't sound that way. But yes, if you say 'significant other' or something like that, it sounds more appropriate than just saying boyfriend.

As for the other poster, you're wrong, my favorite part about MN actually is the weather. :thumbup:

It's not a legitimate tie if she's just mentioning it simply to use it as a tie. If she extensively visits her boyfriend's family and it's a big part of her life, then yeah, it would be.. but from her wording, it clearly doesn't sound that way. But yes, if you say 'significant other' or something like that, it sounds more appropriate than just saying boyfriend.

As for the other poster, you're wrong, my favorite part about MN actually is the weather. :thumbup:

Ahhh, the joys of 85 degree weather but with a heat index of 99. Or taking 20min to get dressed for the trek out to the mail box in the dead of winter. I love MN but it isn't because of the weather.

Oh god. I forgot about waking up at 5:30 in the morning to shovel the drive way in subzero weather. Yeah, you need people ties...

Thanks for the advice everyone! I hope the adcom thinks people ties are good ones :)

I put N/A for ties... I'm from California.

Hope that won't be too bad, but I'm honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.