2012-2013 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
calling the hotline over and over again only to hear, "today is thursday, may 16th" is getting quite maddening :laugh:

+1

Members don't see this ad.

New message is up for today, #1 is still #1 :X

Members don't see this ad :)
Would people on the wait list be willing to write me letters of rec to my top choice wait list school so I can give my spot to one of y'all? ;)

At 73 on the WL, I'm still a little nervous about withdrawing. The U needs you to withdraw in order for you to reapply and talk to admissions committee members about your app, but if the list goes past 73 it would mean I wasted about $1000 on reapplying. Does anyone know offhand if the U has ever gone past 70 in waitlist admissions?

At 73 on the WL, I'm still a little nervous about withdrawing. The U needs you to withdraw in order for you to reapply and talk to admissions committee members about your app, but if the list goes past 73 it would mean I wasted about $1000 on reapplying. Does anyone know offhand if the U has ever gone past 70 in waitlist admissions?
I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but last year they went up to mid-60's, and the year before, mid-90's (I believe).

That is a really tough spot to be in, I'm sorry!

Not to be the negative nancy here, but I think it is unlikely they will get the high this year. The waitlist movement so far this year has been 0. While this may just be the school taking longer to send out letters, I doubt that the movement will be higher than previous years considering how little movement there is so far both at the U of M and seemingly at other schools as well (at least the ones I'm waitlist at :) )

This is obviously just my opinion, but at #52, I am not holding my breath to get in to Minnesota, as great as it would be.

If you are really looking to apply this next year, I would withdraw and starting building up your app. If not, maybe stay on the waitlist and take a year off applying to improve your app even more.

I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but last year they went up to mid-60's, and the year before, mid-90's (I believe).

According to the last couple of year's discussion pages, in 2012 they made it to 64 and the previous year was 71. The years before that took about 40-50. Also keep in mind that at this time in 2011 and 2012 they were both already at ~#40 on the wait list. To be realistic since we're still on #1, it certainly seems that there will be less wait list movement this year.

What about applying just a little bit late to the U, so you can see where the waitlist goes? A lot of my classmates who got in this year applied late(ish) and still had pretty early interviews. It would be a shame to throw the spot away if it the list does go that far

What accounts for the lack of waitlist movement so far?

A. They over-admitted. Though I'm inclined to think they wouldn't do so by 60 kids.
B. A higher percentage of acceptees decided to take the offer from the U.
C. The office of admissions is running behind. I'm not sure how this is possible though - there are either open spots, or there aren't.

Are there any other factors that contribute to the waitlist dynamics? Anyone have any inside info on the goings-on at admissions?

What accounts for the lack of waitlist movement so far?

A. They over-admitted. Though I'm inclined to think they wouldn't do so by 60 kids.
B. A higher percentage of acceptees decided to take the offer from the U.
C. The office of admissions is running behind. I'm not sure how this is possible though - there are either open spots, or there aren't.

Are there any other factors that contribute to the waitlist dynamics? Anyone have any inside info on the goings-on at admissions?

I have no idea, but I'm hoping/leaning towards option C. The most recent update on the hotline stated someone ranked like #172 withdrew. If they knew the class was overfilled or they had a good idea that a much higher % of acceptances were taking the offer, I can think of no logical reason to bother ranking a waitlist up to roughly 175 AFTER rejecting others.

Members don't see this ad :)
This might just be a rumor but the word around the U is that they have drastically increased the number of people they interview recently. So heads up to the people applying this year when deciding which interviews to attend.

Updated today. Still on number 1. Not looking good for 52 on the waitlist!

Well, now that the debate whether or not they would wait for May 28th is irrelevant, let's hope for some movement this week!

I just called the wait list phone number to see if my withdraw went trough and was surprised at how many people are withdrawing from the wait list.

That must mean most of the waitlisters had other acceptances :D !

Last edited:
The absence of any waitlist movement is sufficiently strange that I think I'm going to call and see if I can get more information tomorrow (unless somebody has already done this and would like to share).

Also, does anybody know how the U will offer spots off the waitlist (i.e. snail mail, email, call?)...

The absence of any waitlist movement is sufficiently strange that I think I'm going to call and see if I can get more information tomorrow (unless somebody has already done this and would like to share).

Also, does anybody know how the U will offer spots off the waitlist (i.e. snail mail, email, call?)...

Please let us know what you find out if you call! I've wanted to call admissions too but my work schedule hasn't afforded me the time during the office's hours.

I just called the wait list phone number to see if my withdraw went trough and was surprised at how many people are withdrawing from the wait list.

That must mean most of the waitlisters had other acceptances :D !

I withdrew because I was 155th. The feedback is a lot more valuable right now than staying on a list that I will never get off. I'm sure a lot of people did the same.

I withdrew because I was 155th. The feedback is a lot more valuable right now than staying on a list that I will never get off. I'm sure a lot of people did the same.

Also, I think you have to withdraw from the waitlist if you intend to reapply to Minnesota ASAP this upcoming cycle.

according to the admissions office..... all 170 spots are currently occupied, therefore they will not make anymore offers until people withdraw their positions

according to the admissions office..... all 170 spots are currently occupied, therefore they will not make anymore offers until people withdraw their positions

Did you call today? I wonder if they pulled anyone off the alternate list yet to get to the 170...it would be nice if they'd update the hotline more than once a week...

Did you call today? I wonder if they pulled anyone off the alternate list yet to get to the 170...it would be nice if they'd update the hotline more than once a week...
yeah i called today. and no one has been pulled off of the waitlist.....

hmmm, so now the question is, did they overfill the class initially and they're still waiting for some of those people to drop before they go to the waitlist...OR are they in fact at exactly 170 and will immediately go to #1 on the waitlist once somebody withdraws. I was feeling pretty confident at #6, I'm a lot less so right about now...

hmmm, so now the question is, did they overfill the class initially and they're still waiting for some of those people to drop before they go to the waitlist...OR are they in fact at exactly 170 and will immediately go to #1 on the waitlist once somebody withdraws. I was feeling pretty confident at #6, I'm a lot less so right about now...

+1 -- I am slowly losing confidence and bummed the waitlist hasn't moved yet. Hoping we start to see some action soon!

Just called the Hotline and it looks like original #3 is now #1, so I guess that answers my question. I have a feeling we'll be in for this type of slow movement the rest of the summer, but at least they're going to the Waitlist now!

Does anyone know how reapplying to the U while on the waitlist works? I know they won't look at my application until I'm off the waitlist, but can I still submit my app there tomorrow? or do I have to wait to submit until I've withdrawn?

Does anyone know how reapplying to the U while on the waitlist works? I know they won't look at my application until I'm off the waitlist, but can I still submit my app there tomorrow? or do I have to wait to submit until I've withdrawn?

You can definitely submit your application tomorrow because MN won't even get it until June 28th. You still have a month before you even need to withdraw and this becomes an issue.

I don't mean to sound crass, but with a ranking of #73 I think the odds say you should withdraw and focus on your reapplication. Unquestionably, this year has been an anomoly with respect to the waitlist movement at the U as they are still on #3 and haven't updated the hotline in a week and a half. I thought I was a shoe-in at #11, but the way things are going, I believe I'll either get in by the skin of my teeth right before class starts, or miss an acceptance by just a few spots.

It seems like this entire year is an anomaly as far as wait list movement goes.

I've pretty much lost hope at this point of getting off the waitlist, given that there's been no movement thus far.

Is there anyone who applied last year and was waitlisted, then reapplied and got in this year? If so, can you share your story or what you did differently (if anything)? I'm not sure of my chances for getting in next year if I reapply, given that I don't have anything new to add to my application (I'm an older non-trad and have just been working at my regular job). Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts.

I've pretty much lost hope at this point of getting off the waitlist, given that there's been no movement thus far.

Is there anyone who applied last year and was waitlisted, then reapplied and got in this year? If so, can you share your story or what you did differently (if anything)? I'm not sure of my chances for getting in next year if I reapply, given that I don't have anything new to add to my application (I'm an older non-trad and have just been working at my regular job). Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts.

I applied last year and was outright rejected (no interview), reapplied this last cycle and was accepted (no wait list). I added a couple of new clinical experiences and my last year of undergrad grades (improved from past years).

Honestly, I don't think reapplying with basically the same application will do much good. I would try finding some new clinical/volunteer experiences to add.

Last edited:
FYI - I spoke to Admissions yesterday and they estimated they would have no more than 10-15 spots open up for waitlisters this year (though they stressed this was only their opinion). They also said an offer was made recently to #3, so they are now onto #4.

FYI - I spoke to Admissions yesterday and they estimated they would have no more than 10-15 spots open up for waitlisters this year (though they stressed this was only their opinion). They also said an offer was made recently to #3, so they are now onto #4.

Thanks for the update. I wonder how they are even optimistic about getting to 10-15 given how slow things have been moving. Considering the M1's still aren't done for the year, perhaps they are holding off on a few spots in case any of the current M1's have to remediate?

They aren't "optimistic" that they'll go 10-15 into the list by the time class rolls around in August, that is just what they speculate. In fact, rumor has it they made an effort this year to offer more acceptances before the WL ranking so they wouldn't have to go 60-70 deep again. Apparently, taking that many off the WL reflects poorly on the school and their admissions process by suggesting that lots of kids who get accepted choose to go elsewhere.

They aren't "optimistic" that they'll go 10-15 into the list by the time class rolls around in August, that is just what they speculate. In fact, rumor has it they made an effort this year to offer more acceptances before the WL ranking so they wouldn't have to go 60-70 deep again. Apparently, taking that many off the WL reflects poorly on the school and their admissions process by suggesting that lots of kids who get accepted choose to go elsewhere.

I agree I could have used a better word than optimistic, I understand that they have no vested interest in making sure as many people get in off the waitlist as possible :laugh: In any event, for those of us still on the WL, I guess all we can do is keep waiting and hoping for the best.

Between this time last year and the beginning of classes last fall, the WL moved 11 spots. This is likely the basis for their speculation that the WL will end up in the 10-15 range this year. For those waitlisters in the top 20, it's gonna be tight! Send positive vibes to the admissions office and try to convince any acceptees you know that they've got much better options elsewhere...

I can confirm that "rumor". I spoke to the Dean at Wisconsin about a mix up with my application. Long story short, he asked me about other schools I interviewed at. When I told him I was wait listed at MN he said he had recently spoken to the Dean at Minnesota and they did make offers to people on the wait list before the ranks came out. This conversion took place in early May.

Just called admissions to ask a few questions...list is still stuck at #6. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.