2.38 cGPA Undergrad so far... Advice/Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctHouse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a 18 yr-old, URM, pre-med, Biochem major at a community college. I'm planning on using IGETC to satisfy my pre-reqs for a UC. I enrolled as a freshman 2017 and took 3 classes the first semester. I failed 2 and Ace'd one. The F's were in Math and Art. I failed because I had personal and financial issues going on at home and had to prioritize working over school. (I know, bad decision) ... I took the next semester off to work full time.

The A was in English because most of the work was online and convenient, very easy. I couldn't balance work life, school life without a car at the time. Anyways, I have a class from 2016 I took and aced in HS, Political Science, which counts as credit for college. Also, I have 2 French classes I passed in HS to submit to this college for credit, as they accept it to satisfy IGETC requirements. So that'd make my GPA at about 2.38. Realistically, I currently have a 1.87 cGPA, but still need to turn in the HS transcript so it should change soon.

Now I just re-enrolled into school again, being in a much better place than before. I registered 5 classes this upcoming semester. I'm confident i'll do OK, having my focus be 100% on school this year. However, I've used a GPA calculator online and found that even if I ace all 5 classes, I'll reach about 3.06.

I understand that it may not be that bad, but medical school is competitive and I'll have to constantly ace almost every class from here on out to get my GPA up there. I haven't taken any science courses yet neither, which probably means I'll be here for more than 2 years before transferring since I'm already behind and I haven't even started a single science course to satisfy my major pre-reqs. I'm asking if it's realistic to bounce back from such a fall? Do I even have a chance? Should I start doing summer courses to catch up?

Also, I haven't even started on EC's. When would be a good time to start those?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1) I'm a 18 yr-old, URM, pre-med, Biochem major at a community college. I'm planning on using IGETC to satisfy my pre-reqs for a UC. I enrolled as a freshman 2017 and took 3 classes the first semester. I failed 2 and Ace'd one. The F's were in Math and Art. I failed because I had personal and financial issues going on at home and had to prioritize working over school. (I know, bad decision) ... I took the next semester off to work full time.

The A was in English because most of the work was online and convenient, very easy. I couldn't balance work life, school life without a car at the time. Anyways, I have a class from 2016 I took and aced in HS, Political Science, which counts as credit for college. Also, I have 2 French classes I passed in HS to submit to this college for credit, as they accept it to satisfy IGETC requirements. So that'd make my GPA at about 2.38. Realistically, I currently have a 1.87 cGPA, but still need to turn in the HS transcript so it should change soon.

Now I just re-enrolled into school again, being in a much better place than before. I registered 5 classes this upcoming semester. I'm confident i'll do OK, having my focus be 100% on school this year. However, I've used a GPA calculator online and found that even if I ace all 5 classes, I'll reach about 3.06.

I understand that it may not be that bad, but medical school is competitive and I'll have to constantly ace almost every class from here on out to get my GPA up there. I haven't taken any science courses yet neither, which probably means I'll be here for more than 2 years before transferring since I'm already behind and I haven't even started a single science course to satisfy my major pre-reqs. I'm asking if it's realistic to bounce back from such a fall? Do I even have a chance? Should I start doing summer courses to catch up?

2) Also, I haven't even started on EC's. When would be a good time to start those?

Thanks in advance.
1) Yes, you will need a lot of A grades to redeem the bad start, but fortunately you only got an F in two classes. If you continue to perform well, it's realistic that you can bounce back and become competitive. You may need to stay in school longer or go to summer school, but it's doable. And med school adcomms love to see an upward grade trend after a bad beginning. The average matriculating med student had a cGPA of 3.71, and you can do that.

2) I suggest you not worry about ECs until you've nailed down your study strategies. Activities can always be added, but a poor GPA becomes increasingly more expensive and time-consuming to repair the longer low grades are earned.

Reactions: 1 user
You can definitely bounce back. Your bad semester was early and small. This is a long process, you can have 3-4 years of good grades between you and those two F's by the time you apply. That's a lot of proof that they are not representative of your abilities.

Plenty of students have a rough start (me included) and manage to work their way back. The most important thing is to make certain you have fixed the things in your life or improved the habits that kept you from succeeding previously. It sounds like you are doing that.

I agree with Catalystik, spend this semester making certain your academics are in order. The EC's won't matter if the grades are there.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Yes, you will need a lot of A grades to redeem the bad start, but fortunately you only got an F in two classes. If you continue to perform well, it's realistic that you can bounce back and become competitive. You may need to stay in school longer or go to summer school, but it's doable. And med school adcomms love to see an upward grade trend after a bad beginning. The average matriculating med student had a cGPA of 3.71, and you can do that.

2) I suggest you not worry about ECs until you've nailed down your study strategies. Activities can always be added, but a poor GPA becomes increasingly more expensive and time-consuming to repair the longer low grades are earned.

Thank you.