2008-2009 WashU Secondary Application Thread - Pt 2

Started by Depakote
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappeared off my page too! Maybe they're just working on the site?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:scared: So now I'm worried either way... my application status page doesn't say anything about waitlisting, but then maybe it did and changed back already... Maybe I'm already rejected, and here I've been debating with myself all day whether to send a letter of intent. Basically, I'm going to be on the edge of my seat until I'm definitively accepted or rejected.

A small, cynical part of me thinks that someone in the admissions dept. at WashU is trolling SDN and telling one of his/her friends, "hey, you wanna see a group of applicants squirm? I'm going to 'accidentally' waitlist them all for about five minutes and they'll worry about it for days."
 
:scared: So now I'm worried either way... my application status page doesn't say anything about waitlisting, but then maybe it did and changed back already... Maybe I'm already rejected, and here I've been debating with myself all day whether to send a letter of intent. Basically, I'm going to be on the edge of my seat until I'm definitively accepted or rejected.

A small, cynical part of me thinks that someone in the admissions dept. at WashU is trolling SDN and telling one of his/her friends, "hey, you wanna see a group of applicants squirm? I'm going to 'accidentally' waitlist them all for about five minutes and they'll worry about it for days."

At least there's a ninja message now. Last year there was a whole lot of nothing.👎

I'd suggest putting it out of mind until you get the definitive word from them, as there's no point in stressing about the unknown just yet.👍:luck::xf:
 
I just got the same e-mail and was wondering the same thing because that's what I remembered too.

Same here , but they probably just want to narrow down the pool to people who are actually interested in being considered for it. Presumably there are some ppl who are accepted but have already decided to go elsewhere, so they wouldn't bother writing the brief statement.
 
Good point, Myuu...I have to say, though, the ninja message doesn't do much for my compulsive status checking habit. :beat:
 
The Merit Scholarship recipients will be notified around the end of April.

The Olin Fellowship Office sent a letter to all Olin Scholarship applicants last Thursday (February 26). If you do not receive this letter in the next few days, please contact Ms. Nancy Pope in the Olin Fellowship Office at (314/935-6848).
 
hey guys,
So I e-mailed right after it showed up and apparently it was just a computer updating error. Here is what they said:

"I am sorry that was an error. We just did an update to the system and things got crossed up.
"
it's all good 🙂
 
hey guys,
So I e-mailed right after it showed up and apparently it was just a computer updating error. Here is what they said:

"I am sorry that was an error. We just did an update to the system and things got crossed up.
"
it's all good 🙂

Yay! That's good news. I think.
 
hey guys,
So I e-mailed right after it showed up and apparently it was just a computer updating error. Here is what they said:

"I am sorry that was an error. We just did an update to the system and things got crossed up.
"
it's all good 🙂

Woohoo!! Good news! 🙂 We are still in the running!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All Quiet on the (mid)Western Front...

I know it's only Monday, but it's my birthday today and I was hoping for a miracle from WashU.

Alas, I'm still not slated to be a doctor.

I guess I'll just wait until this Thursday to find out without a doubt that I need to figure out how to pay for next cycle's secondaries...
 
All Quiet on the (mid)Western Front...

I know it's only Monday, but it's my birthday today and I was hoping for a miracle from WashU.

Alas, I'm still not slated to be a doctor.

I guess I'll just wait until this Thursday to find out without a doubt that I need to figure out how to pay for next cycle's secondaries...

Happy birthday!!

What's going down on Thursday?😕

I would pelt them with love letters, seriously. They love those!
 
Happy birthday!!

What's going down on Thursday?😕

I would pelt them with love letters, seriously. They love those!

Thanks! 🙂


and...
I think the adcom should meet this week (if they are following the same pattern as they have for the past several months) on like Wednesday or Thursday (too lazy to look it up). That means it is possible to be contacted by your interviewer or via the status page sometime b/w Thurs and ~Mon. If I hear no news in that window of time, I'll assume another bad decision.

I already wrote them a love letter (LOIntent sent late October), but my love is apparently unrequited.
 
Thanks! 🙂


and...
I think the adcom should meet this week (if they are following the same pattern as they have for the past several months) on like Wednesday or Thursday (too lazy to look it up). That means it is possible to be contacted by your interviewer or via the status page sometime b/w Thurs and ~Mon. If I hear no news in that window of time, I'll assume another bad decision.

I already wrote them a love letter (LOIntent sent late October), but my love is apparently unrequited.

Last cycle, they were friendly to many, many love letters from one source. We have until April 14th to find out for sure, so don't give up hope!:luck::xf:
 
Looking at last years MDapps profiles doesn't make it seem likely for those of us who havent heard yet. I went through everyone that said they were accepted to WashU for the 2008 cycle, and put the reported dates down below...

15-Nov
15-Nov
17-Nov
17-Nov
18-Dec
4-Jan
10-Jan
11-Jan
11-Jan
11-Jan
12-Jan
15-Jan
15-Jan
24-Jan
24-Jan
23-Feb
15-May
16-May
16-May
16-May
22-May
Looks like after February, the rest of the acceptances were off the waitlist. 🙁

(Note: This was last year. The committee might be doing this differently this year. One can always hope 🙂)
 
I'm hoping that the small percentage of applicants last year on SDN is not representative of this year's cycle.

I'd really like to know where I'm going before June... alas, I may be waiting it out this summer.
 
Oh wow. Last year people were notified (email) about being on the Wait List on March 14th. March 15th the year before.

Do they reject post-interview?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am "on hold" at 4 schools, ie haven't heard since the interview. I would imagine there are a large number of people with this "holding" status at each school. I would also imagine that most of the acceptances have been claimed at each school.

It all adds up to bad odds.
 
haha yea... it really wasn't rocket science to open the box.
They must assume we're all going into ortho 😛

"Box no open? Take hammer to box! Pen you get!"
 
i actually havent seen the letter and package in person. currently working out of country, and my mom scanned in the letter...

i am looking forward to taking a sledgehammer to the thing though when i get home in a few weeks 😀
 
Lacking in fingernails, time, and common sense when I got the package, I used my teeth to get the box open. I also hadn't read the letter yet and thought it might be a laser pointer because my PI has an awesome laser pointer that comes in very similar packaging. Thus the excitement and the teeth.
 
Hahaha, yea I went home last weekend and my mom was laughing so hard when she handed me the box and the letter....

Gotta give WashU props for their recruitment effort - I don't think anybody else has sent me anything...
 
Nobody got any news late last week? I guess they're a little behind from the past couple years.

At this point, I'm not sure whether it's a good or bad thing that it's a little different from previous years. Looking at older threads, it seems like March is reserved for waitlist notifications, and not acceptances. So I can only hope that they're running behind and still have acceptances to hand out..?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
F***, I am really not going to get in anywhere this year... Good thing I've been getting ready for next cycle for the past few months.
 
Yeah, got email too. Staying on it, at least until I'm done hearing back from everywhere and decide which wait lists I'm aggressively pursuing. Is anyone putting anything in the Comments section? I want to send it in immediately but it feels weird not saying anything.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.