* * 2009-2010 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where should I list shadowing in AACOMAS? It seems unclear where it should go.

Is it Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service?
If so, should I list them all as one block? What would the "title" be? My shadowing is in several locations, with several different physicians.

Help!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also wondering about the shadowing like the poster above me.

Also, what do they mean when they refer to being "medically disadvantaged"?

BUMP: Anyone know about how to list shadowing?

amberisma: If you live in a medically disadvantaged community (no physician/facilities available), then that is probably what is meant by "medically disadvantaged".

Members don't see this ad :)
So I took this Intro to Psychology class at a community college(in IL) 5 years ago. Got a D in it. I am taking a Social Psycology class at a local university(in FL) now. Hopefully I'll get an A in it. Would AACOMAS replace my D in intro to Psych with A in Social Psych? Or do I have to retake the bad grade course at the same community college?
I've like 3 more courses like Psych that I took at a community college and will probably retake similar courses at the university.

BUMP: Anyone know about how to list shadowing?

amberisma: If you live in a medically disadvantaged community (no physician/facilities available), then that is probably what is meant by "medically disadvantaged".

I listed shadowing under EC. Name of hospital/office under organization/group and student intern as title.

Two quick questions:

1) If you want to update scores with AACOMAS, do you call them and tell them or do you updated them online and re-submit the application? What is their process with sending the updated info to the schools?

2) When do the schools want the LORs, with the primary app or with the secondaries?

Thanks all!

This would be equivalent to replacing a Chem 1 grade with a Bio Chem class. If you want to replace Gen Psych, retake Gen Psych.

My dad is a dentist, and for the aamomas application, do I put that his education was "Other Doctoral" or "Certificate"?

Thanks

how on earth did you get a D in gen psych from a community college?

Two quick questions:

1) If you want to update scores with AACOMAS, do you call them and tell them or do you updated them online and re-submit the application? What is their process with sending the updated info to the schools?

2) When do the schools want the LORs, with the primary app or with the secondaries?

Thanks all!

To answer your second question, submit your primary 1st and send in LORs with secondaries.

So I took this Intro to Psychology class at a community college(in IL) 5 years ago. Got a D in it. I am taking a Social Psycology class at a local university(in FL) now. Hopefully I'll get an A in it. Would AACOMAS replace my D in intro to Psych with A in Social Psych? Or do I have to retake the bad grade course at the same community college?
I've like 3 more courses like Psych that I took at a community college and will probably retake similar courses at the university.

I know that AACOMAS can be lenient about course descriptions/titles/etc. when deciding whether or not to allow a class to replace a previous one, since many schools don't offer the exact same title. However, these sound like two different classes, based on the titles. But if you feel like they were basically the same, there's no harm in contacting AACOMAS and asking them, or you could just mark your application as such and see if they reject it.

You definitely don't have to retake the course at the same college as before. The only real rule is that it's supposed to be the equivalent course. But that's kind of up to your judgement. If you decide to roll the dice and see if this flies as a retake, just plan ahead, since you might find out they rejected your request, then you're stuck retaking this class, but maybe it's too late in the semester or something, and you need intro psych for your med school. Just proceed with caution. :luck:

Moving to the AACOMAS Questions thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

generally how long is a description of each activity supposed to be? Are u supposed to try to fill up the box with as much information about the activity, or do you just be concise and then discuss it in the personal statement or secondary? thanks

My degree is in Telecommunication and Networking Mgmt(or simply IT). How would AACOMAS calculate all my IT and business management related courses? Would computer science course points be calculated under science or non-science?

Thanks.

so I am starting to realize a few things that I didn't know before...

1) I am taking my mcat at the end of jan (yes very late) and my science gpa is a 3.0. I was considering taking a few courses that brought my science gpa down a few points over at a local community college. Would that be useful just to beef up my application numbers for 2010? Or would it even matter considering I would start the classes during spring 2010 and I guess they would have made their decision already. But would it be worth it if I didn't get in for when I reapply for 2011?

Last edited:
My degree is in Telecommunication and Networking Mgmt(or simply IT). How would AACOMAS calculate all my IT and business management related courses? Would computer science course points be calculated under science or non-science?

Thanks.

None of these classes will go into your "Science GPA". CS classes are counted as "Math". The IT courses will probably go into "Other Non-Science".

Wow! So I used this AACOMAS GPA calculator recommended by PunkMedGirl. Calculated all my non-science(IT,Math, English, ECON, Psyc, etc classes) and science GPAs.

So my overall GPA is 3.1 and science is 3.94. It's like a big difference between the two. I am going to admit that I got a total of 4 Fs in some non-science courses which I'll never retake as those are IT related and I've already earned my undergrad in IT(2 years ago).

So if I score let's say 30 on MCAT, what do you think my chances are with these GPAs? sGPA includes all upperlevel courses I've taken so far. I am still super-surprised on my science GPA. Oh yeh, also I got reponses from like 5 DOs that are more than willing to let me shadow them. I am def going to apply to LECOM-B. Do I only need a letter from DO or would I also need to submit LOR from my professors also?

Does anyone have experience entering grades from re-taken classes involving a quarter <--> semester conversion (either q --> s or s-->q) ? I was wondering b/c I have been on a quarter system, but I want to take classes at a community college that goes by semester. I only want to repair one quarter (a #B course in a #A-B-C series). I want to know if anyone has encountered this issue in terms of designating a retake - would I designate one quarter class or two quarters of classes repaired?

Hi everyone. I submitted my AACOMAS for verification on Sept 3rd and for some reason I have not been verified yet. Does anyone know whats going on or what i should do?

Hi everyone. I submitted my AACOMAS for verification on Sept 3rd and for some reason I have not been verified yet. Does anyone know whats going on or what i should do?

Can't do much except for wait and get your secondaries done now. That's kind of what happens when your application is submitted a bit late.

yeah give it a couple more weeks before you expect it to be verified, this amount of time is normal

Last I heard someone say it took almost ten weeks (that was about a week ago).

Does anyone know what the secondaries for these schools are?

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA Submitted to AACOMAS Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL Submitted to AACOMAS Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA Submitted to AACOMAS Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN Submitted to AACOMAS Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL Submitted to AACOMAS Pikeville College, School of Osteopathic Medicine, KY Submitted to AACOMAS Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, CA Submitted to AACOMAS

Does anyone know what the secondaries for these schools are?

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA Submitted to AACOMAS Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL Submitted to AACOMAS Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA Submitted to AACOMAS Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN Submitted to AACOMAS Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL Submitted to AACOMAS Pikeville College, School of Osteopathic Medicine, KY Submitted to AACOMAS Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, CA Submitted to AACOMAS

Search for some of this stuff and you'll find it right away. Anyway, here it is:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8256231

I am a Canadian who is interested in applying to a DO school. The required pre-requisites for many (if not all schools) involve 8 semester hours for most science courses, which corresponds with a full year of the conventional 3 lecture hours and 3 lab hours per week. In Canada, our course credits are not weighed the same. At most universities, a full year intro to Physics, Chem, Bio or Organic Chem involves 3 lecture hours and 3 lab hours per week but is considered a 6 credit course - the lab component has no bearing on the number of credits, although the amount of work is on par with 8 semester hours.

My question is: when I fill out the AACOM application, should I input the 'semester hours' for each course as the number of course credits as they appear on my Canadian transcripts (eg. 6 for intro to Physics, which has a lab component) even though they are equivalent to 8 semester hours in the American system, or should I input them as their US equivalent (ie. 8 semester hours for this example).

I had an evaluation done by ECE.com and they considered 6 credits (lab or no lab) as 6 semester hours, although I feel this is erroneous as they considered my 4 year degree as a 3 year bachelors since the lab component semester hours were not included.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Can't do much except for wait and get your secondaries done now. That's kind of what happens when your application is submitted a bit late.
I'm in the same boat, let's hope it's finished by next week! :)

I'm going to take a stab at this question.

If you believe this is erroneous, you should get it re-evaluated.

Canadian Transcripts: If the transcript from the Canadian university you attended shows grade conversion to a 4.0 grading scale and credit conversion to the semester system, then the transcript is required; the grades and credits will be reflected on your Applicant Profile. If the transcript key does not show grade and/or credit conversion, then refer to the instructions for foreign coursework evaluation. All institutions attended must be listed in the "Colleges Attended" section.
Other Foreign Transcripts: Coursework taken at foreign institutions must be evaluated for U.S. equivalence by one of the following evaluation services, and an official copy must be sent from the service directly to AACOMAS. You should also have a copy sent to you for completing the AACOMAS application. Request a course-by-course evaluation and list the courses, subject codes, semester hours, and grades on the AACOMAS Colleges and Coursework application page, following the instructions. Your application will not be complete and cannot be verified without an official evaluation. Transfer credit appearing on U.S. institution transcripts, student copies of an evaluation or other foreign evaluations will not be accepted.

I take this to mean they will go by the evaluation. When I was in Quebec, I took two intensive French courses. At my university here in Arizona, they only offer 4 credit equivalents. However, after the evaluation, I was only given 3 credits for each class. I listed 3 credits on my app as it appeared on the eval. Since this is a science prereq, I would recommend emailing /calling aacomas tomorrow. I know there are a few other CDNs lurking in this forum, but if you plan to apply this cycle - you may want to get this answered asap so you can send in your application.

ok so i submitted my application Oct 4, and yesterday i noticed something was wrong with the formatting of work experience.

The guy let me correct the formatting and I resubmitted. He assured me that even though I resubmitted yesterday that the processing time would still be 6 - 7 weeks from Oct 4 and not from yesterday.

I do believe him but i'm still paranoid. Anyone else corrected their app after 1 month but then the processing time was still from the first time they submitted?

ok so i submitted my application Oct 4, and yesterday i noticed something was wrong with the formatting of work experience.

The guy let me correct the formatting and I resubmitted. He assured me that even though I resubmitted yesterday that the processing time would still be 6 - 7 weeks from Oct 4 and not from yesterday.

I do believe him but i'm still paranoid. Anyone else corrected their app after 1 month but then the processing time was still from the first time they submitted?

Something similar happened to me. Once you submit the first time, no matter what you do to your app (aside from withdraw completely), you keep your place in line.

Bit of advice: Stop freaking out about your app for now. There's nothing you can do to speed up verification, and it's a long wait. Time to go outside, relax, or find a hobby.

Good luck

Some of my ECs have changed since my AACOMAS was verified. For instance, I'm no longer part of a club. Should I ask AACOMAS to change it? Tell the schools individually? Send them an updated resume? At this point, does AACOMAS only update grade things?

anyone else out there with similar situation as mine?

i'm not freaking out jus checking to see if there are other people with similar situation ?

Some of my ECs have changed since my AACOMAS was verified. For instance, I'm no longer part of a club. Should I ask AACOMAS to change it? Tell the schools individually? Send them an updated resume? At this point, does AACOMAS only update grade things?

No I think that aacomas will update anything you need. Last year I emailed additional shadowing, along with additional job experiences and it was updates after being finalized. They have a very quick turnaround when it just needs to be updated.

No I think that aacomas will update anything you need. Last year I emailed additional shadowing, along with additional job experiences and it was updates after being finalized. They have a very quick turnaround when it just needs to be updated.

Well, I called a few schools and AACOMAS as well. The schools said to use AACOMAS to update. AACOMAS said that it takes up to three business days and of course, it's been longer than that. I'm just paranoid (especially since I have some interviews right around the corner) schools will be like, "You didn't update AACOMAS right away! Rescind acceptance!" To be on the safe side, I think I might just bring a copy of my updated resume to the interview.

Did you e-mail them using the built in messaging tool?

I have my AACOM application finished but my Sept. MCAT scores were not anything to be proud of so I am taking the January 29th MCAT. But what I wanted to know is, should I submit the primary application now or wait until I get my next scores back? And if I do submit now, will the schools I apply to get my updated score when I receive them?

I have my AACOM application finished but my Sept. MCAT scores were not anything to be proud of so I am taking the January 29th MCAT. But what I wanted to know is, should I submit the primary application now or wait until I get my next scores back? And if I do submit now, will the schools I apply to get my updated score when I receive them?

1)Honestly, if you don't have a really strong GPA and MCAT it might not be worth applying this year since it's so late in the cycle. If you take a look at how long it's taking to get the primary processed and sent out (about 7-8 weeks in some cases) it would be around the middle of January by the time schools even received your application. At that point, you may be only interviewing for a waitlist position since classes are most likely nearly full. However, if you are adamant about applying this year, you need to get that primary submitted ASAP!

2) Yes, if you indicate that you plan on taking the Jan MCAT and release the scores to AACOMAS they should forward them to the schools you have applied to but I would just make sure by following up with them individually

Check out http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/Pages/Instructions.aspx for all the deadlines for primaries/secondaries to make sure you don't apply to any schools that you would definitely miss the deadline at.

Best of luck to you though if you do decide to apply this cycle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Spence. I am still going to apply this period. My I feel my gpa, letters, volunteer, and medical work experience are all really strong. It was just a really hard test that I got. I was preparing with Kaplan and my practice test scores were much higher, so I don't know what really went wrong. But I plan on taking as many aamc tests instead to get different perspective on how to gauge my performance. I think I owe it to myself to apply this period. If I don't get in at least I can further refine my app and be ready to hit the submit button on Jun 1 next year:)

Thanks for the info Spence. I am still going to apply this period. My I feel my gpa, letters, volunteer, and medical work experience are all really strong. It was just a really hard test that I got. I was preparing with Kaplan and my practice test scores were much higher, so I don't know what really went wrong. But I plan on taking as many aamc tests instead to get different perspective on how to gauge my performance. I think I owe it to myself to apply this period. If I don't get in at least I can further refine my app and be ready to hit the submit button on Jun 1 next year:)

Just an FYI, but some DO schools do not look at Jan scores. In the CIB you can look at each individual school for their policy.

Not applying this cycle- but I was just wondering what information the aacomas uses to determine your state of residence? Do you have to provide documents that show you've lived there for X amount of years? (for IS/OOS tuition reasons?)

I'm currently living in one state (for school) but have a drivers license etc. in a different state (permanent address.) I'm not applying until 2011, so I have some time to change my residency if need be, just trying to decide when/ if.

I would probably list the address where you have your driver's license and everything as your official AACOMAS address and then list your school address as the mailing address. Once you get accepted you work out in state/out of state tuition issues directly with the school. AACOMAS doesn't check any documentation to verify your address or anything like that.

But, if you are thinking of applying to a school in the state where you go to school at and they accept more people from that state you might want to look into seeing if you can establish residency there to save some $$. I'm not sure how that works though and it probably depends on state-specific rules.

Not applying this cycle- but I was just wondering what information the aacomas uses to determine your state of residence? Do you have to provide documents that show you've lived there for X amount of years? (for IS/OOS tuition reasons?)

I'm currently living in one state (for school) but have a drivers license etc. in a different state (permanent address.) I'm not applying until 2011, so I have some time to change my residency if need be, just trying to decide when/ if.

Hello Everyone,
I have been lurking in the DO forums for sometime now. I recently have been verified and supplemental applications are rolling in. I am in a bit of bind though. I have taken Organic Chemistry a whole year's worth over the summer in 2006 and received terrible grades because it was just too fast paced for me. It was three classes each 3.3 units a piece, I suppose that is qtr units. Thinking that AACOMAS replaces grades I recently retook a whole years worth of Ochem on a semester system with lab and lecture separately, and received higher grades. AACOMAS was telling me that they averaged the grades because the units are different. I was shocked to find out my science GPA was .2 lower due to the averaging. Should I call the schools and notify them of this? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The schools should have your transcripts. You won't be notifying them of anything, instead what you will be saying is that you have my transcripts but since I fear you can't read them here is what happened.

Hey gang, my apologies if this question is in the wrong place. Anyway, I am trying to enter my coursework using the AACOMAS website and I've got a slight situation. I retook three classes during undergrad and its listed as an RT on my transcript. My college scrapped the original grade and replaced it with the newer one (the better one in my case :)). Since I can't add the course until I enter an actual aacomas grade, what would be the best thing to put under "aacomas grade?"

For your convenience here's a snippit from the help page:

Classification -- Select one of the following classifications for any course for which they are applicable.

Advanced Placement: Advanced credit granted by examination, including the College Level Equivalency Program (CLEP). The subjects and credit hours you received for these courses must appear on your official transcript. If these do not appear on the transcript, an official letter from the registrar is required. Advanced credit appearing on the transcript without subject or course names will be classified as non-science unless official documentation is received. If a letter grade is shown on the official transcript, the letter grade should be listed in the AACOMAS Grade column and included in your GPA calculations. If a grade is not shown on the official transcript or the course is indicated as being passed, then enter the semester hours and, under AACOMAS grade, select "Advanced Placement". If the AP credit was a special category, indicate.

Audit: Select 'Audit' in the Type column as well as in the AACOMAS Grade column.

Exempted: any course shown on your official transcript as being waived or exempted from taking.

Deferred: courses that extend beyond one semester or term for which a grade is given upon completion. For example, master's thesis or research courses.

Honors: any course taken in an honors program.

Incomplete: any course appearing on the transcript with a grade of Incomplete. A grade of absent is considered an Incomplete.

Pass/Fail: courses in which you were graded on a Pass/Fail system, including Credit/No Credit, Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory, and High Pass/Pass/Fail, grading systems. The grade of "P" should be listed for Pass and "N" for Non-pass or Fail in the AACOMAS grade column. However, if the grade of FAIL is either included in the GPA calculations or considered to be equivalent to the letter grade of Fail at your institution, the letter grade of "F" should be listed in the AACOMAS Grade column and included in your GPA calculations.

Repeat: Courses repeated for academic improvement or grade change must be listed each time taken. Courses repeated for additional credit, but not for a better grade, such as physical education or chorus, are not considered a repeat. Applicants should list the original class as a repeat i.e. "Repeat" and then list the final time it is taken as "Last Repeat". All repeated courses should be coded in sequence. Please see the examples below: Repeat Example 1
Fall Semester 1999 ENGL 1113 English Composition I: Code as "Repeat 01"
Spring Semester 2001 ENGL 1113 English Composition I: Code as "Last Repeat 01"

Repeat Example 2
Fall Semester 2000 CHEM 3153 Organic Chemistry I: Code as "Repeat 02"
Fall Semester 2001 CHEM 3153 Organic Chemistry I: Code as "Last Repeat 02"

Please contact the AACOMAS office ([email protected]) if you have any questions about repeated courses.

Repeat/To Be Completed: If you are repeating a course but have not yet completed it, code RNY in the type column.

Withdrawn: Courses that are dropped without penalty (including Pass/Fail courses).

Withdraw/Fail: if the grade of "WF" is granted and is included in the GPA at your institution, the letter grade of "F" will be listed in the AACOMAS Grade column and included in your GPA calculations.

If it helps, I didn't fail any classes, not even close, I'm not 100% sure but I'm confident that all my retakes were C+'s and only by fractions of a percent :S... really unfortunate I know.

Thanks!

Hey guys. I was just wondering what everyone included in this section of the application?

Hey guys. I was just wondering what everyone included in this section of the application?

I included stuff like President's or Dean's list, different scholarships I got in college, the fact that I graduated Magna Cum Laude. Stuff like that. Hope that is helpful.

I got a couple of A minuses this term. Does AACOMAS have options available in dropdown or something to select A- or B- grades or does it simply consider those As and Bs?

Thanks.

I wish they would just put it on a conventional 4.0 scale so everyone is even. One place a 90 is a 3.7, the other a 4.0. It adds up.

I wish they would just put it on a conventional 4.0 scale so everyone is even. One place a 90 is a 3.7, the other a 4.0. It adds up.

Isn't it on a conventional 4.0 scale? A=4.0, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, etc. That way it seems like they are differentiating grades to prevent from the schools that give A>90, B=80-89, etc. They don't account for A+'s on AACOMAS so I didn't get those factored into my AACOMAS GPA, which ended up putting me a little lower than what I graduated with, but it's standard among all the applicants so that's fine with me.