2009-2010 Oregon Health & Sciences University (OHSU) Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On hold. D'oh! Interviewed 3/11.

eggman, you just found out today by logging in?

I logged in and nothing. this is ridiculous because it just means my file is just sitting there otherwise if they didn't have a decision i would be on "hold" rather than nothing, right? my life is resting on this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just found out I am on hold also by logging in (no email). I interviewed 3/31...:scared:

Ya it looks like decisions definitely come on Wednesdays, not Tuesdays. No news for me yet, which I guess is good. I wonder if updates trickle in on Wednesdays or if it's a mass instantaneous upload. Might be hearing from me later today haha. Interviewed 4/7
 
eggman, you just found out today by logging in?

I logged in and nothing. this is ridiculous because it just means my file is just sitting there otherwise if they didn't have a decision i would be on "hold" rather than nothing, right? my life is resting on this.

I feel ya'. I logged in to find out. Looks like I get to sit on pins and needles until next Friday like everyone else.
 
Has anyone heard of someone getting rejected after there interview (no hold), or do they wait till May 15th to send out rejections?
 
Has anyone heard of someone getting rejected after there interview (no hold), or do they wait till May 15th to send out rejections?

I have two friends who both interviewed with OHSU last year (different interview dates) and were both rejected post-interview (no hold).
 
I have two friends who both interviewed with OHSU last year (different interview dates) and were both rejected post-interview (no hold).

They tell you on the interview day that it can happen, but I guess since the people it happens to probably aren't too happy with that school anymore they wouldn't post it. So you don't hear about it.
 
How do people get notified of a rejection? Is it through email or the status page?

I can't say from experience thankfully. With every update it shows on your status page. But I believe that only outright rejection or outright acceptance also receives emails. I'm pretty sure you don't get an email if your first post-interview status is hold or for wait list ranking, only acceptance or rejection before or after hold status (i.e. a final decision).
 
How do people get notified of a rejection? Is it through email or the status page?

(Like Acoustic I don't have personal experience), but I was told by those friends that your status page will say something like, "Final decision sent via US mail," (they won't actually say that you've been rejected) and a week or so later you will receive the official rejection letter in the mail with an explanation as to why they rejected you.

So I guess what that means is that hopefully none of us will be receiving anything in the mail soon! :xf:

One caveat: this IS the first year OHSU did the whole online application thing, so the process might be different for our cycle?
 
(Like Acoustic I don't have personal experience), but I was told by those friends that your status page will say something like, "Final decision sent via US mail," (they won't actually say that you've been rejected) and a week or so later you will receive the official rejection letter in the mail with an explanation as to why they rejected you.

So I guess what that means is that hopefully none of us will be receiving anything in the mail soon! :xf:

One caveat: this IS the first year OHSU did the whole online application thing, so the process might be different for our cycle?

I'm pretty sure this is how it is done. After you mentioned it I remember it being said in the interview orientation that we would read something like "Watch your mail" or something to that effect. So regardless of it being the first year I think this is how it will be done. If you think about it, it would be pretty abrupt/rude to say you were rejected in a single sentence, which is what all the status updates online are. I mean, how could they put that politely in just one sentence, or even one word, as the other two decisions are given?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed Katy Guertin and she told me that the ranked WL will be available online on May 14th....sooo i guess we don't have to wait past the weekend =/
 
I emailed Katy Guertin and she told me that the ranked WL will be available online on May 14th....sooo i guess we don't have to wait past the weekend =/

So then the most likely outcome is that all of us who haven't had any decision yet will have one next Wednesday...
 
I emailed Katy Guertin and she told me that the ranked WL will be available online on May 14th....sooo i guess we don't have to wait past the weekend =/

Does that mean that those who haven't heard back yet will not learn their fates until next Friday, then?
 
Will that mean that those who haven't heard back yet won't hear back until next Friday, then?

That's kind of what I was getting at. Since the wait list will be available Friday, it seems a little unlikely that they would tell people "you're on hold" and then tell them 5 minutes later "hey you're not on hold any more". I think it's much more likely that all the first decisions will be announced the day that they normally are, Wednesday. They can't even rank the wait list until all the first decisions are made, so why would they wait until after they rank the wait list to announce them? That's just my guess though
 
That's kind of what I was getting at. Since the wait list will be available Friday, it seems a little unlikely that they would tell people "you're on hold" and then tell them 5 minutes later "hey you're not on hold any more". I think it's much more likely that all the first decisions will be announced the day that they normally are, Wednesday. They can't even rank the wait list until all the first decisions are made, so why would they wait until after they rank the wait list to announce them? That's just my guess though

For the waitlist, I don't think they take time to go over each application on hold and rank them. What I've seen on this thread is that after each evaluation, they give the applicant a numerical score, and then give holds for scores that are not above a certain threshold. Then, mid-may, the waitlist is ordered according to the scores. I think this is why they say that post-interview updates won't open any new discussion.

In any case, the last meeting is tomorrow (5/6), and they'll discuss those who haven't heard anything yet.. I wonder why they wait days to update statuses 🙁
 
For the waitlist, I don't think they take time to go over each application on hold and rank them. What I've seen on this thread is that after each evaluation, they give the applicant a numerical score, and then give holds for scores that are not above a certain threshold. Then, mid-may, the waitlist is ordered according to the scores. I think this is why they say that post-interview updates won't open any new discussion.

In any case, the last meeting is tomorrow (5/6), and they'll discuss those who haven't heard anything yet.. I wonder why they wait days to update statuses 🙁

Ya that might be how it works. The delay from decision to status upload most likely comes from just normal processing delays - the amount of time it takes to manually enter all the decisions and then check and recheck that they are accurate, plus any other clerical work related to a decision. It might not seem like it would take very long but who knows, maybe it does.

Kinda weird that all of our futures, if OHSU is your top school, are being decided right now... :xf: If this is their last meeting that is.
 
Ya that might be how it works. The delay from decision to status upload most likely comes from just normal processing delays - the amount of time it takes to manually enter all the decisions and then check and recheck that they are accurate, plus any other clerical work related to a decision. It might not seem like it would take very long but who knows, maybe it does.

Kinda weird that all of our futures, if OHSU is your top school, are being decided right now... :xf: If this is their last meeting that is.

I second that sentiment. Here's truly hoping that we all get good news (whatever that may be for each of us) in the coming week!
 
Whats up everybody. I interviewed on 4/1 and I was put on hold today. So I'm guessing I'm on hold for a week until the 14th? Weird...
 
Whats up everybody. I interviewed on 4/1 and I was put on hold today. So I'm guessing I'm on hold for a week until the 14th? Weird...

When was the last time you had checked your status?

The general idea is that ya, you will be on hold probably until next Friday. I personally think that means you will most likely be wait listed, but there have been cases where it could mean you will be rejected. It's probably very unlikely that you will be accepted pre wait list (i.e. accepted directly from hold). Don't worry though, I'm guessing a great deal of us will be put in that status in this next week. It won't tell you much until you see your ranking.
 
I was put on hold yesterday, 5/7/10. I hope I get a decent spot on the waiting list... Come on OHSU! Please accept me!
 
I still don't have a status change =/ was this past Thursday not the last meeting? Or I wonder why they would update some statuses but not others. The wait is sooo long haha
 
I was put on hold yesterday, 5/7/10. I hope I get a decent spot on the waiting list... Come on OHSU! Please accept me!

Did you check before Friday that seem week? I agree, I wonder why update some on and then not others, unless those just have not checked in a while
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you check before Friday that seem week? I agree, I wonder why update some on and then not others, unless those just have not checked in a while

I think there could be one of two explanations. First, the people who are reporting updates when others aren't getting any don't check their statuses as often. This probably isn't likely. Everyone, and not just SDNers, will probably be obsessing over this because it is SO close to a guaranteed decision.

The other is that there is just some logistical reason that makes it advantageous to continuously provide status updates as fast as possible because it is so close to the deadline. Maybe before this time only one work day a week was dedicated to uploading status updates, and now every day is devoted to this, so updates come every day. I don't think the old rules really apply for this next week, if they ever did. A lot is going to happen that is going to completely surprise a lot of people.
 
Last edited:
placed on hold, 🙁

man was not expecting this, doesnt make sense to wait this long to placed on hold, which means going to be wait listed.
 
Last edited:
placed on hold, 🙁

man was not expecting this, doesnt make sense to wait this long to placed on hold, which means going to be wait listed.

I'm sorry to hear that and hope that you will be next in line to get off the waiting list. I still haven't had a status change yet. When did you interview?
 
Does anyone know how we find out our ranking if we are waitlisted? Is it added to our status page, are we notified by email, or what?
 
I don't understand the need to wait any longer to tell us our fates now. From what I understand, everything is in and decided. I know it'll only be a couple more days but COME ON!!! Just tell me already.
 
I don't understand the need to wait any longer to tell us our fates now. From what I understand, everything is in and decided. I know it'll only be a couple more days but COME ON!!! Just tell me already.

I feel the exact same way. I really wonder why they're wasting time putting people on hold when those people will (most likely) get a waitlist number in a couple days. It seems really inefficient and just leaves the rest of us in the hold pool waiting longer. I know a few days don't matter in the scheme of things, especially when many people have spent 3+ months in the hold pool, but it's hard/impossible not to get anxious when you know you'll hear something this week. Personally, the waiting just seems to slow time down and I'd really like it to stop.
To echo cornonthecob, I'm also interested in knowing if it'll only be a status change for waitlist numbers. I would guess that's how they'll do it, but I have no idea. It'd be great to hear from anyone with inside information.
 
Last edited:
HA! Ask and ye shall receive. Got the waitlist email. I'm in the 120's. Poo. Here's to hoping the ENTIRE class withdraws. At least I know now though and can move on with other schools. Lame that I won't be able to be in Oregon though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HA! Ask and ye shall receive. Got the waitlist email. I'm in the 120's. Poo. Here's to hoping the ENTIRE class withdraws. At least I know now though and can move on with other schools. Lame that I won't be able to be in Oregon though.


Whoa you got the email already!? when did you get it? I didn't get anything yet =/
 
Just got the email a few minutes ago. Ranked #12. Any opinions on how likely I am to get a seat?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.