You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Oregon Health & Sciences University (OHSU) Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I'm at the bottom 1/4 of the alphabet and I was one of the first to get a change. I doubt its alphabetical.
I was personally thinking that it must be in order of when the admissions committee reviewed the application, so it would be somewhat similar to interview dates, but not exact, since some interviewers could turn in their reviews later.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My last name starts with S... So this alphabetical thing sounds plausible. Not that it really matters, lol.
Last name starts with G and OOS. I'm not really sure the alphabetical thing is going to hold up. They seem to be more random than that. But I do have one idea - I'm going to be the absolute last person to get a status update haha.
Nothing here yet either. I do remember getting my interview invite in the evening, so I'm hoping there's still a chance to hear tonight.
Same, I got my interview invite between 6-7pm mountain time
I got an e-mail today saying I'm in the alternate pool, but there is no ranking. Does anyone know what movement off the wait list is like for MD/MPH applicants? Have any other MD/MPH people heard back (alternate, rejection, acceptance)?
I was accepted but withdrew from the MD/MPH program. From what I understand, the alternate pool for this program works a little differently from the main MD wait list. And it also depends if you are in state v. out of state. Dr. Stull told me there are essentially 5 ways of getting into OHSU 1) in state, 2) out of state with STELLAR scores, 3) adversity/diversity points, 4) MD/PHD, 5) MD/MPH. So OHSU has their number scoring system, and if you fall within the accept range for the MD program, your are then sent to Dr. Stull (and MPH committee) to see if they want you. If they do, great, you're in! I believe they accept 6 students to this program every year. If you are not accepted to the combined program, but qualify as one of the other 5 categories, you can still get into just the MD program. If not, you're probably out of luck. So indigofly, being in the alternate pool for the combined program is different then being on the main wait list, and may be effected if you fall into one of those 5 categories. I hope that wasn't too confusing. And good luck!!
I interviewed 4/1 and was put on hold last Friday. I still haven't had any updates and I have a last name starting with C, so I don't know about the whole alphabetical thing. It doesn't seem like it is due to interview date either! It seems really random to me. All I do know is that I have been checking every hour because I saw that people were getting updates, so I'd like to give a big sarcastic "Thanks" to SDN ha ha. Good luck everybody and congrats to those who were accepted.
I, too, am doubtful that status dates are alphabetical. I am nowhere near the end of the alphabet and have not received a status update, so if they did indeed update based on alphabetical order, some of you would not receive status updates until next Christmas.
I was accepted but withdrew from the MD/MPH program. From what I understand, the alternate pool for this program works a little differently from the main MD wait list. And it also depends if you are in state v. out of state. Dr. Stull told me there are essentially 5 ways of getting into OHSU 1) in state, 2) out of state with STELLAR scores, 3) adversity/diversity points, 4) MD/PHD, 5) MD/MPH. So OHSU has their number scoring system, and if you fall within the accept range for the MD program, your are then sent to Dr. Stull (and MPH committee) to see if they want you. If they do, great, you're in! I believe they accept 6 students to this program every year. If you are not accepted to the combined program, but qualify as one of the other 5 categories, you can still get into just the MD program. If not, you're probably out of luck. So indigofly, being in the alternate pool for the combined program is different then being on the main wait list, and may be effected if you fall into one of those 5 categories. I hope that wasn't too confusing. And good luck!!
Thanks, pipette! Very helpful. I am out of state. I wonder how many applicants they have for the MD/MPH combined program and, of those applicants, how many they outright reject or put on the alternate list..
Has anyone been denied admissions so far? I am trying to figure out if OHSU's mass rejection campaign has already begun or will commence in the near future.
for what it's worth, last year they sent out WL one day, followed by another batch of higher WL's and rejections via mail. i hope it's not following the same pattern as last year because i got nothing today 🙁Has anyone been denied admissions so far? I am trying to figure out if OHSU's mass rejection campaign has already begun or will commence in the near future.
for what it's worth, last year they sent out WL one day, followed by another batch of higher WL's and rejections via mail. i hope it's not following the same pattern as last year because i got nothing today 🙁
I'm not sure that's how it's working this year. Someone has already reported a #120 or so WL. That seems at the upper end to me.
for what it's worth, last year they sent out WL one day, followed by another batch of higher WL's and rejections via mail. i hope it's not following the same pattern as last year because i got nothing today 🙁
Uh oh... Yikes!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay... Different question, then. Was anyone accepted today, May 12, 2010?
Anybody have any idea how far down the waitlist OHSU got last year, or how many offers they've made so far for this year?
I got waitlisted today.
I got waitlisted today.
i hope you're right!I'm not sure that's how it's working this year. Someone has already reported a #120 or so WL. That seems at the upper end to me.
I got my ranking earlier today and I'm #2!!! Which is awesome, so long as they actually dip into the alternate list. I am not encouraged by the trend. Too bad that I had to give an osteopathic school a $1000 non-refundable deposit last week to hold my seat.
Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back. Don't give up hope - this wasn't my first rodeo, so persistence does pay off.
Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back. Don't give up hope - this wasn't my first rodeo, so persistence does pay off.
I am ranked 46, and I don't know if I should feel good about that. What is your plan of action? It's such an ambiguous number!
Hi Marielle, personally I am not too hopeful of my number coming up because of the downward trend in list movement for the last five years (posted elsewhere in this thread).
For a confluence of reasons I will be in Portland next year, so I have nothing to lose by staying on OHSU's alternate list. I am also wait-listed at USC, but I'm no longer interested in going there. I'll reapply to OHSU if needed.
How about you? What's your plan of action?
Best,
Ascenda
I got my rank e-mail today around 12pm and I was praying for a low #... and I got #1! 😀
Probably the greatest news I could have hoped for. Sadly, I had my car broken into and everything out of it stolen - this totally made up for it! I'm a IS re-applicant and interviewed Feb.23 (last name P).
This is actually my first post on SDN ... this forum is helpful, I should have joined sooner.
Good luck everyone!
Probably the greatest news I could have hoped for. Sadly, I had my car broken into and everything out of it stolen - this totally made up for it! I'm a IS re-applicant and interviewed Feb.23 (last name P).
This is actually my first post on SDN ... this forum is helpful, I should have joined sooner.
Good luck everyone!
I'm not sure that's how it's working this year. Someone has already reported a #120 or so WL. That seems at the upper end to me.
Hate to be a downer but... By May 12th last year on SDN, they were up to 159.
Last edited:
Half the cost? What school? Is it an in-state tuition for that one vs out-of-state for Oregon?
It's out of state at both and it's still half the cost cause I'm from a wiche state
for what it's worth, last year they sent out WL one day, followed by another batch of higher WL's and rejections via mail. i hope it's not following the same pattern as last year because i got nothing today 🙁
I was in that batch last year. I went to admissions the day after they started the waitlists and found out I was rejected
I found this on last year's thread:
2003: #90's
2004: #64
2005: not sure
2006: #98
2007: #77
2008: #57
2009: #37
I did some SDN searching and found out 2005 made it to 96. Also, I found out that a couple of years before that (they didn't say what year), it only made it into the 30's. So if that's true, it rebounded from a low waitlist number once, so it can do it again. Lets hope that downward trend is over.
Has anyone from a March or April interview gotten a waitlist number yet?
April here. I think we had the same interview day. I haven't had any notification yet. I know of several others in the exact situation. Rumors are spreading that were up to bat for a mass rejection round today. Hopefully that isn't true.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected today....quite disappointing..
Very disappointing but at least we have an answer. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. As if you haven't already waited enough...
hmmm i wonder what the point of putting someone on hold since november is if it was going to end up in a rejection...😡
Everyones rejection said, decision sent via mail?
Ugh really liked the place too, want out of jersey so bad
Ugh really liked the place too, want out of jersey so bad
Has anyone from a March or April interview gotten a waitlist number yet?
March 9th interview
#13
Someone on the WL needs to make a graph like this:
(THIS IS FOR THE U OF ARIZONA SOM! borrowed from that thread)
Get to work guys.
(THIS IS FOR THE U OF ARIZONA SOM! borrowed from that thread)
Get to work guys.
Rejected today. Huuuuuge bummer 🙁 Interview 4/7. 2nd time applying. IS GPA 3.5 MCAT 30. Time to schedule an exit interview. Round 3!
Interviewed 4/7 as well. Applied 1º 10/14, submitted 2º 12/15, interviewed 4/7, rejected 5/13. OOS GPA 3.5 MCAT 33T. Exceptionally disadvantaged/diverse. I guess that's what I get for applying so damn late and not over emphasizing how much I loved OHSU in the interview. Maybe next year...
Last edited:
Someone on the WL needs to make a graph like this:
(THIS IS FOR THE U OF ARIZONA SOM! borrowed from that thread)
Get to work guys.
Oh what a pretty graph. I really need me one of those from OHSU!
"Decision:
A final decision for the MD program has been sent to you via US Mail."
Is that automatically a rejection? I'm guessing yes... Did those of you who got rejected get an email/letter, or just a status update?
A final decision for the MD program has been sent to you via US Mail."
Is that automatically a rejection? I'm guessing yes... Did those of you who got rejected get an email/letter, or just a status update?
"Decision:
A final decision for the MD program has been sent to you via US Mail."
Is that automatically a rejection? I'm guessing yes... Did those of you who got rejected get an email/letter, or just a status update?
Yes, that means that you'll get a rejection via snail mail. My letter came today, along with my status change - int 3/11. Sigh. 🙁
I was also rejected today, but luckily I have a few schools to fall back on.
It seems like there are a lot of reapplicants going for OHSU. Is this just a coincidence or do people favor reapplying to OHSU in lieu of attending other schools?
I'm taking mine and running. Perhaps I'll see OHSU for residency? C'est la vie.
It seems like there are a lot of reapplicants going for OHSU. Is this just a coincidence or do people favor reapplying to OHSU in lieu of attending other schools?
I'm taking mine and running. Perhaps I'll see OHSU for residency? C'est la vie.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same, dude. I wish they'd speed up their process, it shouldn't take six months to send out a rejection letter, haha. I'm just glad the cycle is over and that I'm going somewhere at all! Best of luck to everyone in this thread, wherever you end up 🙂.I was also rejected today, but luckily I have a few schools to fall back on.
It seems like there are a lot of reapplicants going for OHSU. Is this just a coincidence or do people favor reapplying to OHSU in lieu of attending other schools?
I'm taking mine and running. Perhaps I'll see OHSU for residency? C'est la vie.
Rejected today. I am grateful to have alternate options.
Best wishes, truly, to everyone, especially for those who will apply again in the future. Keep at it -- I'm rooting for you!
Best wishes, truly, to everyone, especially for those who will apply again in the future. Keep at it -- I'm rooting for you!
Hey everyone-
I too, was rejected today 🙁.
I am not entirely surprised, I had a horrid interview on 3/9 and am OOS. Saint Louis, here I come! Good luck to everyone on the wait-list, and condolences to all those in the same boat!
I too, was rejected today 🙁.
I am not entirely surprised, I had a horrid interview on 3/9 and am OOS. Saint Louis, here I come! Good luck to everyone on the wait-list, and condolences to all those in the same boat!
Interviewed in November. Instate. 3.96 GPA. 31S. Research, shadowing, volunteering abroad, study abroad.
My first interviewer and I talked for over an hour, he told me that if I choose OHSU that he would appreciate if I came back in the fall and spoke with him some more. My second was a surgeon that showed up 15 minutes late and our interview was ok.
5/13 Rejected.
Does anyone know how we find out the reason for which they rejected us?
My first interviewer and I talked for over an hour, he told me that if I choose OHSU that he would appreciate if I came back in the fall and spoke with him some more. My second was a surgeon that showed up 15 minutes late and our interview was ok.
5/13 Rejected.
Does anyone know how we find out the reason for which they rejected us?
Interviewed in November. Instate. 3.96 GPA. 31S. Research, shadowing, volunteering abroad, study abroad.
My first interviewer and I talked for over an hour, he told me that if I choose OHSU that he would appreciate if I came back in the fall and spoke with him some more. My second was a surgeon that showed up 15 minutes late and our interview was ok.
5/13 Rejected.
Does anyone know how we find out the reason for which they rejected us?
Reason? That's an odd word choice lol.
I had similar interview experiences to you, and was a competitive OOS applicant. Same result.
I think you can call the admissions office for an exit interview, which you can do by phone I think. Also I think the "decision sent by US mail" includes a short explanation. But hey at least your interviewer wasn't 5 hours late.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 543
- Views
- 156K
- Replies
- 730
- Views
- 222K
- Replies
- 444
- Views
- 108K
- Replies
- 664
- Views
- 172K