-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Yale University Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Just got the waitlist letter in the mail.
Does anyone roughly know the number of people put on the waitlist?
Does everyone either get accepted or waitlisted post-interview or is it rather competitive to receive a WL decision?
Thanks 🙂
Does anyone roughly know the number of people put on the waitlist?
Does everyone either get accepted or waitlisted post-interview or is it rather competitive to receive a WL decision?
Thanks 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's another question:
Does anyone know approximately when Yale gives out financial aid packages? Second look is at the very end of April...Are they going to wait till then??
Does anyone know approximately when Yale gives out financial aid packages? Second look is at the very end of April...Are they going to wait till then??
i think they reject between 1/2 and 1/3 of applicants post-interview, so your chances are actually pretty good
Can anyone else verify this? I got the waitlist letter today, too. After a brutal couple weeks of wait-listings, I found this letter to be refreshingly straight-forward. The tone seemed to indicate that our chances are pretty good

Does anyone know if Yales take people off the waitlist without additional correspondence (letters of intent/continued interest)? I don't like the idea of bombarding admissions officers with love letters until they let me in...
Can anyone else verify this? I got the waitlist letter today, too. After a brutal couple weeks of wait-listings, I found this letter to be refreshingly straight-forward. The tone seemed to indicate that our chances are pretty good
Does anyone know if Yales take people off the waitlist without additional correspondence (letters of intent/continued interest)? I don't like the idea of bombarding admissions officers with love letters until they let me in...
i think my impression of 1/3 is just from adding up the mdapps list and seeing how many were accepted/waitlisted/rejected...don't think there are any official numbers on this
as for the tone of the letter...i would say its a little misleading. if 1/3 of the class is pulled from the waitlist...that probably means that they contacted about 50 people about if they were interested in coming off the waitlist and got about 30 to come off. if the total waitlist pool is 300 people then our chances are only 15% or so. better than nothing, but dont let that 1/3 figure give you a false sense of security 🙄
Nothing from Yale in the mail today. I don't want to wait until Monday to here my fate. I just really don't want to be rejected.
So general consensus is that mailed letters are not good things? My roommate informed me that I got a letter from yale, which I won't see until tuesday. Assume it isn't good by the looks of things.
If you didn't get an acceptance email last Thursday morning, you were either waitlisted or rejected. Everyone I believe gets something via snail mail, so its hard to tell just from that. But no email = bad news.
If you didn't get an acceptance email last Thursday morning, you were either waitlisted or rejected. Everyone I believe gets something via snail mail, so its hard to tell just from that. But no email = bad news.
Here's hoping my email client deleted it? It already did so for a few interview invites.

To those who were waitlisted, did you have to respond to them within a certain time frame to confirm you wanted to be on the waitlist? I won't be able to check my mail until the end of the week...
Within ten days, so you are fine!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted people...
Do we have any way to get a "netID" for Yale? I want to join the community site that my browser directs to when I click on the second look itinerary. My snail mail is going to my permanent address, and my parents suck and giving me my mail. Just gotta know. Thanks!
Do we have any way to get a "netID" for Yale? I want to join the community site that my browser directs to when I click on the second look itinerary. My snail mail is going to my permanent address, and my parents suck and giving me my mail. Just gotta know. Thanks!
Nothing from Yale in the mail today. I don't want to wait until Monday to here my fate. I just really don't want to be rejected.
and there's no chance they're sending out more than one round of acceptances?
So general consensus is that mailed letters are not good things? My roommate informed me that I got a letter from yale, which I won't see until tuesday. Assume it isn't good by the looks of things.
I was rejected via snail mail...but then again I didn't interview at yale hahaha!
rejected snail mail today as well...
was anyone rejected post-interview?
was anyone rejected post-interview?
I think so.
In other news, my letter STILL hasn't come. I think Yale forgot about me. 🙁
I was rejected via snail mail...but then again I didn't interview at yale hahaha!
+ 1. It would have been better if I hadn't gotten it with a Columbia and Penn waitlist on the same day though. 🙁
I have to say though that it was a very kindly worded rejection letter. I think all schools should reject applicants with the same amount of class. + 1 for Yale.
was anyone rejected post-interview?
yes, I was! first rejection post interview...it hurts 🙁
i think they actually reject a fair amount post-interview (~1/3) so i wouldnt be too down about that. at least they let you know you don't stand a chance, instead of pulling your string for another 3 months (cough, columbia, cough)
where did you get the information that they reject 1/3 post interview? Thanks
Out of curiosity, what day(s) will they be holding the revisit?
April 29-30
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else not heard anything at all from Yale? I'm not expecting much, I'm just curious.
Me. I just want my letter already.
Has anyone else not heard anything at all from Yale? I'm not expecting much, I'm just curious.
i haven't heard anything either. i interviewed in Feb
anyone going to the Yale Club Luncheon?
Me. I just want my letter already.
Got the rejection letter today.
Rejected. That makes today's total of 7.
waitlisted today.
.
Last edited:
No. 🙁 I'm just trying to clear enough room on my credit card to get to second-look. Anybody have a feel on financial aid (I've looked at the website info)? I have submitted most of my forms (needaccess and Yale specific, just not tax returns and verifications yet. I know. I know.).anyone going to the Yale Club Luncheon?
For those who are committed to attending, where have you found to live? Any suggestions of where to/not to look?
.
Last edited:
hi all, accepted here. where do you take a mph degree in Healthcare Mangement from Yale anayways? I come from healthcare consulting and basically applied as an alternative to an MBA... Any thoughts?
PS. to all you waitlisted teying to talk me out of my spot, I'm on to you!!
jokes aside. can I take this degree into a management position at big pharma/ big time consulting firm?
idk i think it is explained on the mph website. its the most popular mph. i think it is the suited mph for that position, but a mba might be better.
No. 🙁 I'm just trying to clear enough room on my credit card to get to second-look. Anybody have a feel on financial aid (I've looked at the website info)? I have submitted most of my forms (needaccess and Yale specific, just not tax returns and verifications yet. I know. I know.).
For those who are committed to attending, where have you found to live? Any suggestions of where to/not to look?
I'm pretty sure most people live in the dorms. They're the floors above the admissions office. Kinda weird that the admissions office is below the dorms, but you can't beat the convenience. From what I read about financial aid, they look at your parental contribution, give you $20k in loans, and cover the rest by scholarship. Here's to small expected parental contributions

Maybe ~60% live in the dorms in the med school? that's a guestimate based on my memory from a couple years ago, i would think the website has more accurate stats. but anyway, a lot of students (med and other grad students) live within a few blocks of the hospital in downtown (just a couple blocks away on york st. are large towers) in East Rock (affectionately known as the "grad ghetto") and in Wooster Square (famous for its pizza, with a great park and weekend farmers market)... i'll be looking in all those places.
I'm pretty sure most people live in the dorms. They're the floors above the admissions office. Kinda weird that the admissions office is below the dorms, but you can't beat the convenience. From what I read about financial aid, they look at your parental contribution, give you $20k in loans, and cover the rest by scholarship. Here's to small expected parental contributions![]()
Last edited:
So... I totally didn't realize that Yale required a NeedAccess and a specific Yale fin aid application. I submitted the FAFSA to them already. Do I have less of a chance of getting aid since I'm past their March 15th deadline for everything, or do i just have to wait longer to get my package?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So... I totally didn't realize that Yale required a NeedAccess and a specific Yale fin aid application. I submitted the FAFSA to them already. Do I have less of a chance of getting aid since I'm past their March 15th deadline for everything, or do i just have to wait longer to get my package?
speaking of which... how is yale financial aid?
Vote!!!!! Yale poll
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=710970
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=710970
How many people are accepted initially??
How many people are accepted initially??
just 100, the class size.
just 100, the class size.
I'm pretty sure that they accept more than 100 initially. All the schools that I've seen accept about 150% initially because they know a lot of these students will end up going somewhere else. A lot of people seem to think that schools accept their class size and then waitlist everyone. They actually usually accept a lot more than their class size and then go to the waitlist. I may be wrong in the case of Yale, but I don't think I am.
The 108 people accepted on facebook is evidence that they overaccept. Not everyone has facebook so the number of accepted should be significantly higher.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K