2010-2011 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! when did you submit? I just pushed the button on mine this evening. Fingers crossed...

I submitted mine the day after their secondary was first released...I don't exactly remember the date.

It took me a couple of weeks to get the invite while others it seems have gotten an invite a lot quicker, so take my experience with a grain of salt.
 
To those who have interviews, are you planning on staying just one night in Pittsburgh? Such as, arriving on Sunday, interview Monday, leave Monday evening? What is standard? I want to stay with a host student but don't want to overstay my welcome:scared:
 
I submitted Pittsburgh secondary pretty early but I didn't send in my letters until several days later.
On their website it says that I've completed everything but I didn't receive any "complete" email from them?
Should I call them? Scares me that people are getting interview invites so early. I just want to make sure my application is being reviewed.
 
To those who have interviews, are you planning on staying just one night in Pittsburgh? Such as, arriving on Sunday, interview Monday, leave Monday evening? What is standard? I want to stay with a host student but don't want to overstay my welcome:scared:

Standard for interviewing is to arrive the day before your interview (maybe early afternoon or night) and leave the next day after your interview. Some schools will tell you that hosts are only responsible for you for a 1-day stay and extra time is either not allowed or you have to work it out with your host. Just remember that hosts may have other students coming and need the space for other interviewees. Arrangements can be worked out personally with the host to stay longer if at all possible. The most I have seen last cycle was a student that came on Thursday night, interviewed Friday and stayed until Saturday night with the host but I think that those are few and far between.
 
To those who have interviews, are you planning on staying just one night in Pittsburgh? Such as, arriving on Sunday, interview Monday, leave Monday evening? What is standard? I want to stay with a host student but don't want to overstay my welcome:scared:

I'm leaving the night after the interview, for pretty much every interview. Take the latest flight out, obviously, but I dont think you need to stay the night after the interview
 
I submitted Pittsburgh secondary pretty early but I didn't send in my letters until several days later.
On their website it says that I've completed everything but I didn't receive any "complete" email from them?
Should I call them? Scares me that people are getting interview invites so early. I just want to make sure my application is being reviewed.

just want to say i am in the exact same boat. even though all my stuff has been in for a while (~2 weeks) i've heard nothing. so ...uhhh.. at least you're not alone ?!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does pitt send a confirmation email after your secondary is complete? I submitted a couple of days ago and haven't heard anything from them..
 
I've been complete since 7/22...
anyone know why there's been a drought in responses from the adcom?
 
I've been complete since 7/22...
anyone know why there's been a drought in responses from the adcom?

My guess is it's summer and, more importantly, they're getting ready for the incoming class' orientation this weekend. I've been done almost a month, and although I'm starting to get concerned it's still really early. Good things come to those who wait 🙂
 
I've been complete since 7/22...
anyone know why there's been a drought in responses from the adcom?


Yeah, same. Submitted 7/22, and I'm been OCD checking my email. Little worried, since the turnaround time for interview invites has been so short....
 
I've been complete since 7/22...
anyone know why there's been a drought in responses from the adcom?


I was complete on 7/10 and haven't heard anything as well. I don't know anything for sure, but I keep telling myself that they screen secondaries for those students with really good stats and offer them interviews right away and then take their time with other apps to really review them before offering an interview. IDK, that is what I hope because I really like Pitt and don't want to believe yet that I am out of the running 😕
 
I was complete on 7/10 and haven't heard anything as well. I don't know anything for sure, but I keep telling myself that they screen secondaries for those students with really good stats and offer them interviews right away and then take their time with other apps to really review them before offering an interview. IDK, that is what I hope because I really like Pitt and don't want to believe yet that I am out of the running 😕

Yeah, I'm hoping you're right. I too really like Pitt and don't want to be out of the running. I guess it's more appropriate that I say I'm assuming the worst but hoping for the best.
icon11.gif
 
I just got an interview invite and I finished my secondary pretty early in July. And my moral/ethical dilemma essay was shamefully bad. Don't give up!👍
 
I was complete on 7/10 and haven't heard anything as well. I don't know anything for sure, but I keep telling myself that they screen secondaries for those students with really good stats and offer them interviews right away and then take their time with other apps to really review them before offering an interview. IDK, that is what I hope because I really like Pitt and don't want to believe yet that I am out of the running 😕

Yeah, I'm hoping you're right. I too really like Pitt and don't want to be out of the running. I guess it's more appropriate that I say I'm assuming the worst but hoping for the best.
icon11.gif


I wouldn't worry too much at this point. It is still very very early in the cycle. I was complete around this time last year but didn't interview until mid October while receiving notification of an interview invite in late August I believe.

It may also be a lil slow at this point because, like someone else mentioned, the Class of 2014 (us) comes this weekend and Pitt is busy with the preparations. Our white coat is on sunday and orientation begins monday so there are a lot of tasks to complete before then. The app cycle is just a long test of patience with a couple moments where you have to show your passion and fit interspersed within it. Good luck to everyone! Maybe I will host some of you this year.
 
Don't give up hope you guys! I just got an interview invite after almost a month of being complete, so hang in there! 🙂
 
just got an interview invite today! Very fast turnaround, I just submitted my secondary on 8/1. My essay must have been better than I thought? 😀
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
submitted my supp on 7/6, LOR received on 7/26. Still no interview invite. 🙁
 
ok so i booked my flight and the least expensive returning flight from Pitt to NYC leaves at 5:30pm! 👎

I figure it may make things a little rushed, but theres no chance the interview day will run past 3:00pm, is there??

Also, is anyone else interviewing on 9/10?
 
You realize that it'll take over an hour to get to the campus from the airport, right? It's far away.
 
Well my issue is getting from the campus to the airport by ~5:00pm, and according to google maps its only a 30 minute drive via the I-376. That doesn't seem like it should be TOO much of an issue.
 
i'd give it an hour just to be safe. i live in pittsburgh and it normally would take a half hour to get from campus to the airport, but construction and traffic always add more time. there's a chance the I-376 might be closed too. they've been closing the fort pitt bridge/tunnel for repairs lately
 
Well my issue is getting from the campus to the airport by ~5:00pm, and according to google maps its only a 30 minute drive via the I-376. That doesn't seem like it should be TOO much of an issue.

Are you driving or taking the bus? I've lived there. Cabs take like 40, bus an hour in no traffic.
 
Probably they did look at it a little bit, after automatically selecting the best stats and then looking further. I was complete before you but Pitt is way above me in both MCAT and GPA, so I'm not really expecting anything but a rejection.
 
i'd give it an hour just to be safe. i live in pittsburgh and it normally would take a half hour to get from campus to the airport, but construction and traffic always add more time. there's a chance the I-376 might be closed too. they've been closing the fort pitt bridge/tunnel for repairs lately

Are you driving or taking the bus? I've lived there. Cabs take like 40, bus an hour in no traffic.

Thanks for the info!
 
When they ask for our grades on the course requirements section should I give letter grades from AMCAS or GPA grades from my transcript? (3.8 vs A-)??
 
When they ask for our grades on the course requirements section should I give letter grades from AMCAS or GPA grades from my transcript? (3.8 vs A-)??

They are talking about letter grades from AMCAS not actual GPA numbers for each course required for matriculation
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pit screens right? does anyone know what criteria they use?
im not verified yet, but i was just curious
 
...Yes, put the letter grade..thats what I did and I just received an interview invite from Pitt!! Submitted Secondary 8/3 Complete 8/3 Interview 8/5!! My first one! I absolutely love the way the school presents itself...seems to be a very cool place, I get a mature, laid back vibe. I feel very fortunate. (FWIW, I'll be 25 in a month...3.8 CGPA/3.82 sGPA/37S) Good luck, and I'll be sure to post feedback ASAP

I submitted a while ago (7/12, complete 7/13), haven't received interview yet (3.69 cGPA / 36Q MCAT...hoping I just missed the top GPA screen, but I have no idea if that's how they do it). On the supplemental, the fields for entering in grades are still able to be edited. I entered in mine on a 4.0 scale, not letter grades. Does anyone know if you can actually change it, if it will make that much of a difference if I do, and what happens to the app if you do change it (is it reset to the back of the line because of "new info")? If anyone has any input that would be cool.

Also, anyone who is on qtr system, what did you do for a full year of English (3 qtrs) with only two slots? I did name/number and name/number; hours and hours; grade and grade in each respective field in the second slot to be able to fill in my 3rd class. Hoping that's alright, but it's on the primary.

And, last question, for hours, I put semester hours...not credit hours. Do you think it matters? All of this is on the primary anyways....

If anyone has any input that would be awesome. Sorry for the longer post. Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
I submitted a while ago (7/12, complete 7/13), haven't received interview yet (3.69 cGPA / 36Q MCAT...hoping I just missed the top GPA screen, but I have no idea if that's how they do it). On the supplemental, the fields for entering in grades are still able to be edited. I entered in mine on a 4.0 scale, not letter grades. Does anyone know if you can actually change it, if it will make that much of a difference if I do, and what happens to the app if you do change it (is it reset to the back of the line because of "new info")? If anyone has any input that would be cool.

Also, anyone who is on qtr system, what did you do for a full year of English (3 qtrs) with only two slots? I did name/number and name/number; hours and hours; grade and grade in each respective field in the second slot to be able to fill in my 3rd class. Hoping that's alright, but it's on the primary. I am not sure yet of the point in reentering grades.

If anyone has any input that would be awesome. Sorry for the longer post. Thanks in advance!

I believe you can't actually make changes to the courses. I tried to do something similar but was told via email that any changes would be "attached to my file." It did not, however, seem to inhibit my application's progress. I suggest emailing them with your concern before proceeding. Best of luck.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.