* * 2011-2012 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes use complete sentences. You should make it into a small paragraph just describing what you did or learned, and if it affected why you wanted to go into medicine.

I've actually heard you should list bullet points, resume style rather than paragraph form

Members don't see this ad.

My school does the same thing with summer...we have two "sessions" so one class should just count as semester because each session is a condensed semester

Can we add high school awards or is that no good?

Last edited:
I have a 3.1 GPA and a 23 MCAT. I'm retaking the MCAT on July 28th.

Do I submit my app June 1st and risk getting my app insta-thrown out by some schools or do I wait until Aug 28th to get my new MCAT score and then submit?

If you indicate the new mcat as planned on AACOMAS, you'll probably just get put on hold until the new score arrives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question. I'm working on entering my coursework on AACOMAS. I'm wondering how to classify my school's summer term. We have Fall and Winter Semesters, and then Spring and Summer Terms(mini condensed semesters.) Should I classify these terms as semesters, quarters, or what? They aren't really quarters, but I'm not sure what to put.

I would put it in as semester because that's what your school uses, even though it's not a full "semester" that's what your school counts it as, I did this last year and there was no problem.

If you indicate the new mcat as planned on AACOMAS, you'll probably just get put on hold until the new score arrives.

Is being put on hold for 1-2 months essentially the same thing as just submitting your complete app a month later instead?

So my strong upward trend is officially diminished and I am definitely worried. I made straight A's last semester and was expecting to preform the same this semester. My first two grades that posted were A's but then I checked today and I received B+'s in TWO classes. I do not know how this happened b/c I had A-'s going into the final and thought I preformed very well (I put in a ton of effort) on the final papers I had for both of these classes. Anyway, I'm speaking with the professors now but I am pretty sure this is not a mistake. How much will this hurt me applying this cycle??

Freshman 1st semester: 2.52
Fresh 2nd semester: 3.184
Soph 1st: 3.369
Soph 2nd: 3.5
Jun 1st: 3.94
Junior 2nd semester: 3.65 :( I'm a little crushed.

How much will this hurt me? Oh, and if it matters I work ~45-50 hours a week at a hospital, so full time while going to school full time. Of course, I've always done this so it's not as though anything changed from last semester to this except I added some research.

Is being put on hold for 1-2 months essentially the same thing as just submitting your complete app a month later instead?

No because your app will already be verified and sent to the schools. Last year they were really good at verifying in a week or two in the summer, but the previous year it took a couple weeks to be verified. Since you don't know how long it will take to get verified its better to submit early. Plus some schools will send you the secondaries without the second MCAT score so you could get some of those done as well.

So my strong upward trend is officially diminished and I am definitely worried. I made straight A's last semester and was expecting to preform the same this semester. My first two grades that posted were A's but then I checked today and I received B+'s in TWO classes. I do not know how this happened b/c I had A-'s going into the final and thought I preformed very well (I put in a ton of effort) on the final papers I had for both of these classes. Anyway, I'm speaking with the professors now but I am pretty sure this is not a mistake. How much will this hurt me applying this cycle??

Freshman 1st semester: 2.52
Fresh 2nd semester: 3.184
Soph 1st: 3.369
Soph 2nd: 3.5
Jun 1st: 3.94
Junior 2nd semester: 3.65 :( I'm a little crushed.

How much will this hurt me? Oh, and if it matters I work ~45-50 hours a week at a hospital, so full time while going to school full time. Of course, I've always done this so it's not as though anything changed from last semester to this except I added some research.

It depends more on what your cumulative GPA and science GPA is. If their both good then it won't matter. And 3.6 is really good for applying DO. It looks like you had trouble your freshman year, but have been improving since then, so no I do not think it will be a problem that your GPA is lower this semester than it was last semester.

Hypothetically speaking, are there any schools that would accept an applicant who has 0 DO-written LORs, provided they had really good PhD and employer letters and an otherwise solid application?

I work in an ER where 1/3 of the docs are DO, but none of them really know me well enough to write a letter. I don't really see the point of having to get one - I've seen firsthand that there is absolutely no difference in clinical practice whatsoever between DOs and MDs.

Hypothetically speaking, are there any schools that would accept an applicant who has 0 DO-written LORs, provided they had really good PhD and employer letters and an otherwise solid application?

I work in an ER where 1/3 of the docs are DO, but none of them really know me well enough to write a letter. I don't really see the point of having to get one - I've seen firsthand that there is absolutely no difference in clinical practice whatsoever between DOs and MDs.

Can you at least get a MD letter?

Some schools will accept a MD letter, but to apply with no letters its going to be pretty hard to find schools that will look at your application.

Can someone tell me if I am understanding this correctly...before submitting AACOMAS, we are REQUIRED to apply for the fee waiver request or no? I'm somewhat confused b/c it says that "you may wish to apply" for a fee-waiver. At the same time, the AACOMAS pdf says "Do NOT submit your application to AACOMAS until you have received a determination on your fee waiver request." I'm confused..haha! thanks in advance.

Can someone tell me if I am understanding this correctly...before submitting AACOMAS, we are REQUIRED to apply for the fee waiver request or no? I'm somewhat confused b/c it says that "you may wish to apply" for a fee-waiver. At the same time, the AACOMAS pdf says "Do NOT submit your application to AACOMAS until you have received a determination on your fee waiver request." I'm confused..haha! thanks in advance.

You're not required to submit the fee waiver, but if you do submit it you have to wait until you get notice from them before submitting and paying. If you don't wait and end up paying they won't return any money to you. That's why it says don't pay until you get a notice from them. Hopefully that makes sense :luck:

Do osteopathic schools care about other science GPA? I know it's included in the science GPA. My Pre-Req GPA is a lot higher than my overall science GPA due to my engineering courses counted in the science GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not required to submit the fee waiver, but if you do submit it you have to wait until you get notice from them before submitting and paying. If you don't wait and end up paying they won't return any money to you. That's why it says don't pay until you get a notice from them. Hopefully that makes sense :luck:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I appreciate it!

Both my undergrad transcript and "informal" online transcript list my courses by full academic year, not by quarter (I went from 02-06 so I don't remember what qt. I took what course).

So AACOMAS asks me to assign a term to each course. Does this need to be accurate since the official transcript doesn't list them this way or can I just break them into 3 quarters and enter them in any term?

Does anyone know how to handle study abroad transcripts? I called AACOMAS and they said I need to get it verified by a private service. My university gave me credit, but the grades transferred as pass/fail. The abroad institution did assign traditional letter grades.

hi guys. If I retook a class in another university, and say the class is listed as R01 (repeat 1), I code the repeat class as L01 even if it's from another university, right? And does this count on the gpa revision? Because I feel like when I look at the total gpa, it doesn't? Can someone clarify please.

Should I submit official transcript of credits taken overseas even if these credits are in my transcript here?

so i applied for the fap yesterday morning by mail and just got an interfolio confirmation saying my status for the application document was received. did anybody get this kind of email?

when will i know of approval? will i get a document by mail/email or will it automatically update on the aacomas app like it does on amcas.

hey guys,

need some help with an issue

I've been having a really hard time fitting my work experience description into the 750 character limit. That limit's fine for stuff I volunteered for a few hundred hours, but I tried and tried condensing eight years worth of academic research (all in one job/location btw) into 750 characters.

It's even worse trying to list publications/abstracts. Citing just one publication is around 300 characters as it is.

It's almost impossible without simply just leaving off projects I've spent years on, which will make the experience not seem nearly as strong. Have you guys ever tried spanning one experience into multiple Records to get extra description space? Or is that a big NO-NO?

If not, can I just email or send my CV or something that isn't so restricted in terms of character limit?

any suggestions appreciated.

so i applied for the fap yesterday morning by mail and just got an interfolio confirmation saying my status for the application document was received. did anybody get this kind of email?

when will i know of approval? will i get a document by mail/email or will it automatically update on the aacomas app like it does on amcas.

Just got this email too! Not sure though, I did send an self-addressed envelope with my stuff, but hopefully I don't have to wait until they send it back to me to find out. I'm hoping if we qualify for something it shows up on AACOMAS.

hey guys,

need some help with an issue

I've been having a really hard time fitting my work experience description into the 750 character limit. That limit's fine for stuff I volunteered for a few hundred hours, but I tried and tried condensing eight years worth of academic research (all in one job/location btw) into 750 characters.

It's even worse trying to list publications/abstracts. Citing just one publication is around 300 characters as it is.

It's almost impossible without simply just leaving off projects I've spent years on, which will make the experience not seem nearly as strong. Have you guys ever tried spanning one experience into multiple Records to get extra description space? Or is that a big NO-NO?

If not, can I just email or send my CV or something that isn't so restricted in terms of character limit?

any suggestions appreciated.

I am having a very similar situation with my application. What I am doing is entering a more concise description for each of my research experiences (each entered in "EC, Volunteer, Community Service"). Then I am adding a brief qualifying phrase to the effect of: "Co-authored one peer-reviewed journal publication, as well as two poster sessions presented at major academic/professional conferences". I know this will not represent the entirety of your experiences, but at least it might provide fodder for an interview. Finally, I am going to upload a copy of my CV/resume on Interfolio, which I will forward along with my LORs upon receiving/completing secondaries. I hope this helps.

I am having a very similar situation with my application. What I am doing is entering a more concise description for each of my research experiences (each entered in "EC, Volunteer, Community Service").

I see. The main issue for me is that it's considered "one" experience.

Finally, I am going to upload a copy of my CV/resume on Interfolio, which I will forward along with my LORs upon receiving/completing secondaries.

Are we allowed to do this, as in include the CV with the Interfolio LoR packet? I can imagine adcoms getting picky about having non-LoR stuff being lumped in with the LoRs....

Are we allowed to do this, as in include the CV with the Interfolio LoR packet? I can imagine adcoms getting picky about having non-LoR stuff being lumped in with the LoRs....

Your situation does seem to be unique; I have not encountered any posts addressing this particular scenario. Your best bet maybe is to contact the folks at AACOMAS directly. Or perhaps somebody else here will have a solution?

Yeah, I'm not sure what the proper or accepted way is to submit a CV or resume as part of an application. Although I would imagine this to be something that a lot of people would want to get through with their apps. It would be hard for me to believe that there is no way whatsoever to submit even a simple 1 or 2 page resume (as opposed to my full 5-page CV, which probably would annoy some adcoms!) Anyhow, good luck!

I actually never thought of doing this, seems like a good idea. There were some secondaries that will ask you this stuff all over again though, I think Nova was one of them last year. Are you guys putting extra stuff in the CV? I'm wondering if it will seem redundant like being on the primary and again on the CV?

Your situation does seem to be unique; I have not encountered any posts addressing this particular scenario.

Well, I think that DO schools do get a significant amount of non-traditional applicants? So, I'm assuming my situation shouldn't really be unique.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the proper or accepted way is to submit a CV or resume as part of an application. Although I would imagine this to be something that a lot of people would want to get through with their apps.

This info would be really helpful! :)

I actually never thought of doing this, seems like a good idea. There were some secondaries that will ask you this stuff all over again though, I think Nova was one of them last year. Are you guys putting extra stuff in the CV? I'm wondering if it will seem redundant like being on the primary and again on the CV?

Well, I would think for non-trads that the ability to include a CV somewhere would be extremely beneficial to allow adding extra stuff that doesn't have a spot in AACOMAS, since it has a rule of 1 Experience = 1 Record = 750 chars, regardless of length or type of experience.

Last edited:
So I have taken 3 semesters of a repeatable course (lab research). This isn't a repeat course....right?

I mean I got A's all 3 semesters and had to write a paper at the end and give a different presentation on what I had done that semester...

Hey guys,

I have another question. It's not completely related to AACOMAS, but I thought this would be the best thread to ask.

Do schools still send out secondaries if one pre-req is missing? I'm planning on taking a pre-req in spring 2012, but I am not allowed to include it in AACOMAS as "planned" until I'm actually enrolled in the course, which wouldn't be until late 2011.

thanks.

Hey guys,

I have another question. It's not completely related to AACOMAS, but I thought this would be the best thread to ask.

Do schools still send out secondaries if one pre-req is missing? I'm planning on taking a pre-req in spring 2012, but I am not allowed to include it in AACOMAS as "planned" until I'm actually enrolled in the course, which wouldn't be until late 2011.

thanks.

Yes. Schools will just require that you complete the course before you matriculate.

How long does the AACOMAS take to process my transcript? 2 weeks?

Hello all,

Quick question: Should I include a waitressing job I held for the first 2 years of undergrad? I worked full time while enrolled in classes and have some less-than-stellar grades (A few C's- which have been retaken). I wasn't going to include it since it was only waitressing but I also don't want it to look like I had a bad semester and all I had to focus on was school . Any advice? Thanks.

How long does the AACOMAS take to process my transcript? 2 weeks?

The manual says 3-4 weeks, but it varies.

Hello all,

Quick question: Should I include a waitressing job I held for the first 2 years of undergrad? I worked full time while enrolled in classes and have some less-than-stellar grades (A few C's- which have been retaken). I wasn't going to include it since it was only waitressing but I also don't want it to look like I had a bad semester and all I had to focus on was school . Any advice? Thanks.

I would. I included all work experience I had in undergrad, no matter how small or large it was. However, it is up to you.

All of my transcrips have been recieved and I have copletely filled out my applciation. Am I allowed to sumbit before June 1st with hopes of them varifying my transcripts early maybe?

The manual says 3-4 weeks, but it varies.

I would. I included all work experience I had in undergrad, no matter how small or large it was. However, it is up to you.

Thanks Djack

All of my transcrips have been recieved and I have copletely filled out my applciation. Am I allowed to sumbit before June 1st with hopes of them varifying my transcripts early maybe?

Wow that was fast! So it says '2 out 2 transcripts received' ? I had my application roll over from last cycle and my grades haven't changed so I didn't have to resend transcripts but it still says 0 out of 3 :( I don't think you can submit until June 1st though. Last year some people got verified before they submitted so maybe you'll get lucky and get verified soon!

Wow that was fast! So it says '2 out 2 transcripts received' ? I had my application roll over from last cycle and my grades haven't changed so I didn't have to resend transcripts but it still says 0 out of 3 :( I don't think you can submit until June 1st though. Last year some people got verified before they submitted so maybe you'll get lucky and get verified soon!

Im preety sure you have to have your transcripts resent even if you roll over your application, you should call and ask about that but I do remember reading that somewhere. How did some people get verified early last year without submitting?

I think this year was an exception with transcripts and the roll over feature, at least that's what it said on the instructions manual. You only have to resend transcripts if there was additional coursework that wasn't verified. I'm emailed AACOMAS to double check and they sent me the 'please refer to manual msg' so ill probably call to make sure too :)

I'm not sure how they got verified, I wasn't one of them bc I had spring classes that ended after June, but if you look at the old thread for last year many were verified before submitting, guess they got an early start? I hoping they do it again this yr!

I have a couple of questions that you guys can hopefully help me out with. First, should I include a job and volunteer work that I will be starting in June? I want to get my application in ASAP, but I will have had several hours of volunteer work and a couple months of job experience by the time interviews roll around. Second, I have an alright MCAT score (27N), but was wanting to try and raise it a little. If I send my application in now and take the MCAT again this fall, can they review my interview with my current MCAT and use my new (fall) MCAT score in their final decision? Thanks for the help.

Should I submit official transcript of credits taken overseas even if these credits are in my transcript here?
Can someone give an answer to this please?

My app is a little weird too. From the home page, it says 0 transcripts received. But if I click on the "Transcripts Request," it redirects me to my 2011 application, and 3 out of 4 received. Should I still resend all my transcripts?

got an email. also the email will appear on your app as a document. so i guess the fap is internal.

My app is a little weird too. From the home page, it says 0 transcripts received. But if I click on the "Transcripts Request," it redirects me to my 2011 application, and 3 out of 4 received. Should I still resend all my transcripts?

What I gathered from the instructions manual was that only additional coursework not verified had to have transcripts sent in.

This was posted a few threads down, maybe one of the mods could merge it.

T
The following is from Gina Moses, Associate Director of Application Services from AACOM and is posted on her behalf

AACOMAS is pleased to announce that the 2012 AACOMAS Application launched at noon, May 5, 2011.

Please help us share the following important tips and advice for the 2012 cycle with your applicants and prospective students

1)2012 AACOMAS launched in the afternoon of May 5, 2011 - Eastern Time. URL: https://aacomas.aacom.org or http://www.aacom.org

2)Applicants may work on their AACOMAS application throughout the month of May. They will only be able to submit their 2012 AACOMAS application on/after June 1, 2011.

3)Note:All applicants applying in the 2012 cycle must submit their most current Spring coursework transcript with posted grades. We will not begin to process applications until Spring grades are posted.

4)Updated for 2012: Applicants will be able to access a comprehensive 2012 AACOMAS Instructions Booklet (only 14 pages) that will aid them in successfully completing their application. Advisors will also find this instruction publication useful when assisting applicants.

5) New for 2012:Rollover Transcripts - Applicants that had paid and verified applications in the 2011 cycle, will not need to re-send prior transcripts.

6) Letters: AACOMAS does not collect/process letters of recommendation. Letters are sent directly to the DO school with a supplemental. Applicants may apply to AACOMAS without a DO letter and receive one after their interview(s) to submit.

7)Note:AACOMAS has changed the address to which applicants should send transcripts. Please have transcripts sent to:
AACOMAS
1900 L Street, NW, Suite 603
Washington, DC20036

Note that processing of transcripts sent to AACOMAS at its Chevy Chase, MD address will not be delayed; however, sending transcripts to the above address is preferred.

8)Roll-over feature: For past applicants that are re-applying in 2012, the roll-over feature will be available for their use.

9)For applicants students applying for Fall 2012 admission, we strongly recommend that they review the 2012 Osteopathic Medical College Information Bookthat includes descriptions of all of the osteopathic medical colleges, admissions criteria, minimum entrance requirements, supplementary application materials required, class size, application deadlines, and tuition.
URL link: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

10)Deadlines vary amongst the Osteopathic Medical Colleges. AACOMAS recommends applicants submit their completed, paid application during the summer and before December 1, 2011 for best consideration. The majority of the medical colleges have a February 1st deadline. Normal processing time is 3-6 weeks.

11)The on-line AACOMAS Application Support Center is an integrated part of the application system which we encourage applicants to use when they have questions or need to make updates on their application. Dedicated staff respond to applicants through this system and a written log is established.

12) MCAT scores must be released to AACOMAS through the THx system. Applicants must provide their MCAT/AAMC number (8-digits beginning with 1) in their AACOMAS application. Their AACOMAS application is then electronically matched to their score(s).

13)Applicants may submit their AACOMAS application without a set of MCAT scores. They simply indicate “Planned” in the MCAT section of their application.

14)Personal Statement: 4,500 characters (this includes spaces).

15)GPA Calculations: Math courses are included as a “Non-Science” in AACOMAS GPA calculations.

16)Repeated Coursework: The most recent repeated course grade is included in AACOMAS calculated GPAs – repeated courses are not averaged.

17)Prerequisite Coursework: Only grades of C or better are included in prerequisite verification.

18)Lastly, AACOMAS staff processed over 108,000 applications for more than 14,000 applicants in the 2011 cycle. Please encourage your applicants to read the instructions, be accurate, complete, and early, review their materials with you before they submit, and make sure that they “authorize release to their Advisor” so that you may view their progress in the Advisor Information Center (AIC) portal: http://aic.aacom.org/

On behalf of all of us at AACOM, we thank you for your support and look forward to helping you and your applicants in the 2012 AACOMAS cycle.

What I gathered from the instructions manual was that only additional coursework not verified had to have transcripts sent in.

This was posted a few threads down, maybe one of the mods could merge it.

ooooh. Thank you for this. I didn't send out my app last year so I don't think it applies to me though. But still, I don't know why my app redirects me when I click on the Transcripts Request. =/