2012-2013 Columbia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete a little less then a month earlier (8/1) and still haven't heard a thing. Does Columbia do silent rejections? (Sorry if this has been asked before)

I think it's still super early for you to be worrying. It's nonrolling and I don't think they make a decision either way until feb. the moderator mmm on this site is an amazing source of info and you could probably private message him for specifics. He's really good at responding in a timely manner
 
I was complete a little less then a month earlier (8/1) and still haven't heard a thing. Does Columbia do silent rejections? (Sorry if this has been asked before)

It depends on your definition of silent rejections. They will eventually send you a notification if you are not going to offer you an interview, but it happens near the end of the interview cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When would you say we're pretty much rejected? Keeping in mind I'm MSTP, but this applies to MD as well. They've handed out MSTP interviews already.
 
On the secondary, when it asks for "collegiate extracurriculars", are they asking for like sports and stuff, or can we include our hospital volunteering?
 
what about from la guardia to columbia? And when is traffic hours in new york. Sorry to be so naive.
 
I was complete Sept. 6. Is it update letter time for me?

There have been very few IIs announced, Columbia may just be taking their time. This would be pretty practical considering they have until March to make decisions. Or SDNers just aren't announcing their IIs very frequently.

If you have a good reason to send an update (Publications, jobs, and grades updated), then go for it. But if you had a bowel movement yesterday and it was shaped like their insignia, I don't think they're going to take that as a sign to interview you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There have been very few IIs announced, Columbia may just be taking their time. This would be pretty practical considering they have until March to make decisions. Or SDNers just aren't announcing their IIs very frequently.

If you have a good reason to send an update (Publications, jobs, and grades updated), then go for it. But if you had a bowel movement yesterday and it was shaped like their insignia, I don't think they're going to take that as a sign to interview you.

😀 I think I'll wait.

Columbia is one of the most generous with interviews. I think they offer 1200, so hopefully I'll see one in the inbox one day.
 
Amcas has received my LOR and some schools have me complete
Yet the webpage for Columbia's secondary says it hasnt received my letters yet
Is this normal?
 
Amcas has received my LOR and some schools have me complete
Yet the webpage for Columbia's secondary says it hasnt received my letters yet
Is this normal?

It may take a day or two. I submitted about two weeks ago and it took about a day and half even though AMCAS had my letters since July.
 
Just to let everybody know, they told us different on interview day. I interviewed 10/12 and they said that this year they halved the number of interviews they gave out, so you should A) still feel good that you got an interview and B) be not as offended if you don't. They'll be having approx 600 interviews this year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to let everybody know, they told us different on interview day. I interviewed 10/12 and they said that this year they halved the number of interviews they gave out, so you should A) still feel good that you got an interview and B) be not as offended if you don't. They'll be having approx 600 interviews this year.

Good news for everyone with interviews - rate would likely jump to about 50% of people interviewed getting accepted 👍

I'm talking about secondaries, not primary.

If the deadline hasn't passed, you aren't too late. Columbia's not rolling-admissions.
 
Just to let everybody know, they told us different on interview day. I interviewed 10/12 and they said that this year they halved the number of interviews they gave out, so you should A) still feel good that you got an interview and B) be not as offended if you don't. They'll be having approx 600 interviews this year.

This to my knowledge is not correct. Ive spoken to dr nicholas and the director of admissions about this and everything they have said indicates that they are shooting for over 1000. They are interviewing sixty plus students a week currently and are only escalating. I will check next time im in the office.


Perhaps they were saying that the ratio of applications to interviews istwice as large as it was in the past? We broke 8000 primaries this year.
 
This to my knowledge is not correct. Ive spoken to dr nicholas and the director of admissions about this and everything they have said indicates that they are shooting for over 1000. They are interviewing sixty plus students a week currently and are only escalating. I will check next time im in the office.


Perhaps they were saying that the ratio of applications to interviews istwice as large as it was in the past? We broke 8000 primaries this year.

I mean I'm just relaying what we were told by Dr. Hutcherson and Dr. Nicholas. I'm not speaking as anyone who has inside information. But I was told this by the people in charge so my inclination would be that it's true. If not, then sorry for the temporary optimism about your chances as an interviewee XD
 
I don't mean to sound evil, but I hope that they are interviewing fewer candidates. Interviewing 1200 students and accepting 250 is kind of evil. Flying to the East coast from the West coast ain't the cheapest ticket!!
 
I mean I'm just relaying what we were told by Dr. Hutcherson and Dr. Nicholas. I'm not speaking as anyone who has inside information. But I was told this by the people in charge so my inclination would be that it's true. If not, then sorry for the temporary optimism about your chances as an interviewee XD

Did you talk to Dean Nicholas afterwards?
 
I mean I'm just relaying what we were told by Dr. Hutcherson and Dr. Nicholas. I'm not speaking as anyone who has inside information. But I was told this by the people in charge so my inclination would be that it's true. If not, then sorry for the temporary optimism about your chances as an interviewee XD

I will find out, but as I have said we've already interviewed a significant fraction of 600. Unless they are planning to stop interviewing in 4-5 weeks I don't see how we could keep it at 600.
 
I will find out, but as I have said we've already interviewed a significant fraction of 600. Unless they are planning to stop interviewing in 4-5 weeks I don't see how we could keep it at 600.

What's the point of interviewing 1,200 applicants? Sounds excessive.
 
Did you talk to Dean Nicholas afterwards?

Oui oui. He didn't provide the 600 number, he said they were aiming to interview about half the number of people they typically have in the past. I said 600 based on the MSAR/SDN pointing to 1200 as the typical number. So... don't quote me on that figure!
 
To give people who might not fit the typical mold a chance.

I see. If it doesn't change, I am surprised that Columbia hasn't been cutting back on interviews. It seems like most schools have been cutting them back to the point where they're accepting about 50% of interviewees. I don't know if this is financially motivated, or is just schools getting more and more picky.
 
Oui oui. He didn't provide the 600 number, he said they were aiming to interview about half the number of people they typically have in the past. I said 600 based on the MSAR/SDN pointing to 1200 as the typical number. So... don't quote me on that figure!

Okay i spoke with the adcom today and the number is still set at 1100 to 1200. I dont know the context of what you were told, but it must have been a misunderstanding.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To mmmcdowe,

If Columbia is interviewing 1100-1200 this year, do you have a rough estimate about how many people have been interviewed already this cycle, and how many interview invites have been sent out so far?
 
To mmmcdowe,

If Columbia is interviewing 1100-1200 this year, do you have a rough estimate about how many people have been interviewed already this cycle, and how many interview invites have been sent out so far?

Based on our starting date and multiplying by my estimate of sixty per week I'd say 300-400. Do not know how many interview invites though. Plenty more to come definitely.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.