mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anyone have an opinion on Revisit in NYC versus the one in San Francisco? I think my choice is going to come down to Columbia versus Mount Sinai so it makes the most sense to go to the full second looks but I had already made plans for Johns Hopkins, which is the same weekend (they already bought my plane ticket). Just want to explore this option before I withdraw from Hopkins.
To clarify, Columbia is having a second look in San Francisco (I live in the Bay Area) on April the 27th for West-Coasters who can't make it out.
On interview day we were told that starting this year the students will receive iPads.
On interview day we were told that starting this year the students will receive iPads.
Do Columbia students get iPads for class?
To be clear, I don't know if it was a "giveaway" or a requirement. HH told me that this year was the first in which students would receive iPads.
Well if HH said it, that settles it for me. I guess I won't have to pay for it out of pocket. At least if they factor it into the loans I won't notice it as much- don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
I hope they do like Cornell and preload all of the iPads with the books that we are going to need.
Can any current students speak towards the best strategy to experience the school outside of second look? Basically, I have already made travel arrangements for another second look that same weekend, but I will be in NY April 3rd to April 14. Is there something that can be arranged so I can do some of the activities (participate in special interests workshop, meet students/faculty, etc) while there? Who should I contact?
I know there's a second look in SF on April 27th, but that's the same day as UCSF.
Any advice would much be appreciated because I think it will come down to Sinai and Columbia for me (though I am open, hence still going to other looks) so I want to make sure I get the best comparison.
You can always come hang out on another day. You wouldn't get all of the flash and bang, but you'd get to meet students. The admissions office is happy to arrange this and I would be happy to host you or any other students wanting to come and visit outside of the second look season.
Haha, I'm afraid if you hosted me it'd be a done deal. You should be on Columbia's payroll (meant as a compliment by how enthusiastic you are about the school).
Haha, I'm afraid if you hosted me it'd be a done deal. You should be on Columbia's payroll (meant as a compliment by how enthusiastic you are about the school).
Sounds like a plan to me.
Cool. I emailed Hilda to set something up. I didn't say I'd found a host online (cus that sounds weird, haha) but I didn't say I needed on either. Unless they just assign me one, I figure they'll ask if I need one and I'll tell them I already found something. I'll PM you when they respond.
Does anyone know when waitlist movement starts for this school? Also what are the odds of getting off the waitlist? Thank you!
I believe someone mentioned late April is the earliest. I do want to know how likely it is to get off the waitlist too and how.
+1 really praying i get off this wait list
Is it true that 100 people come off that 600 people waitlist in late April to May?
Just want to confirm. We do need to apply to the Need Access or whatever the website is right?
Are you taking the year off to be more competitive in the specialty you want to go to?
If so, do most students who want to go into a competitive field opt to take a year off?
Another successful match for Columbia. I'll post it when I get the list!
Many students (40%) take a year off for various reasons. Half do a year of research, often because they are going into a competitive specialty, and half do a second degree.
That being said, it is not absolutely necessary to do so and many people do go straight through.
Would getting and MD/MBA be helpful at all for landing competitive residency spots, or is the research perspective pretty much a requirement? I'm thinking about applying for the dual degree, but then having to take another year off to complete meaningful research may add too much time and money to my overall bill...I'm assuming that students who take the year off live off extra loans, right?
that class had a real ortho fetish
I wonder if any of the PD's give hints to their students about whether or not they ranked them high.
Perhaps, they have a special wink which means if you rank us first you're definitely coming here.....😛
It depends on if persons C and E successfully matched to their first choice. If they did not, then they would match to Columbia because Columbia ranked them higher than persons F and G.As a lowly premed, I want to make sure I understand how this works. Ok so let's say hypothetically Columbia has 5 spots for orthopedic surgery, and they interview 10 people for it. They rank everybody:
1. Person A
2. B
3. C
4. D
5. E
6. F
7. G
8. H
9. I
10. J
And the candidates ranked Columbia on their list
A- #1
B- #1
C- #2
D- #1
E- #2
F- #1
G- #1
H- #2
I- #2
So does that mean that candidates A, B, D, F, and G are the 5 people who match to Columbia for ortho then? What happens to candidates C & E in that case? Do they end up at their #1 choice? Or if their #1 choice didn't rank them highly enough, do they totally get shafted? I know this isn't exactly a Columbia-specific question but it seemed contextually relevant enough to ask based on mmmcdowe's comment. I would assume a program wants to use as little of their list as possible (i.e lots of people ranked that program #1), but wanted to clarify this detail. Thanks!!! 😍
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.