2012-2013 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Pusillanimous, I understand your concerns of "academic inferiority", you must be feeling disadvantaged compared to other applicants with perfect cGPAs but take heart that there are Second Upper students who manages to enter the wonderful career of medicine.

I am not part of the adcom, but personally I feel more than just grades, Duke-NUS looks at your other life experiences such as research, volunteerism, leadership among a whole lot of other spectrum in assessing your application. Also, if you've read more about Duke-NUS, we welcome diversity. A lot of emphasis is based on cooperative learning more than just competitiveness. So ability to work in team is a plus.

I know there is a tendency for students to compare with each other on the number of As they have, or the MCAT score they've got on their "first" attempt. But, really, instead of feeling inferior relative to other people, you should ask yourself do you want to contribute to healthcare as a doctor, and be clear on the reason why and if you are willing to go through the entire process of a life of continuous education, assessment and sacrifices. If the answer is yes, I would very much say you've cleared the first of many hurdles to becoming a doctor. =)

Remember, it is only when you are convinced you're suited for this path that you can convince others that you are.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Myopes! Thank you so much for taking some of your precious time out to provide me your valued perceptions on this. Yes, I feel so much better and even more motivated to give med school a try after reading your take on this. I guess you are right by saying that everyone needs to believe in themselves first before they are able to convince other people or even the adcom that you are suited for this service leadership role.

It's really heartening to know that Duke-NUS emphasizes alot on team learning and cooperation in getting the work done. Not everyone is perfect and each of us has our own strengths in different areas of expertise that we can certainly contribute to complete the big picture.

Your post speaks to me and managed to broaden my perception of things. Thanks again Myopes! =)

Hi everyone, all the best for your application to med sch. To echo what Myopes has shared, I personally felt that the year-long application for med sch was indeed a very helpful process as it gave me time to explore if the medical career was well-suited for me and at the same time served as a test of my personal resolve in joining the profession.

If your goal is to be a doctor, I think it's important to keep that aspiration in you burning even if it means encountering setbacks on the way. So all the best in the application and believe it yourself :)

For those of you who maybe preparing for the MCAT, I have a complete set of ExamKrackers 1001 Practice guides, Princeton Reviews Practices and Kaplan guides which I found useful for my preparation and now intending to put up for sale. Appreciate if you can PM me if you are interested.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I will also be applying to Duke-NUS for the 2013 intake class. Nice to meet you all. I graduated in 2012 but am taking a year off. I am taking the MCAT in 3 wks and should have scores by mid-October and application all done and sent by mid-October. I am really scared to not getting in.

Hi Sunilwes12, All the best for your MCAT. I took a year off too. I went off to explore other areas of healthcare that I can contribute too. Ultimately I decided that medicine is still something I really want to do. I have plenty of back up plans in case I didn't get in - it is a pretty common question that interviewers ask.

I guess what I want to say is: It is okay to feel afraid of not getting in. But don't let that slow you down or stress you out. Have more confidence. Hope to see you next year =)

Hi Sunilwes12, All the best for your MCAT. I took a year off too. I went off to explore other areas of healthcare that I can contribute too. Ultimately I decided that medicine is still something I really want to do. I have plenty of back up plans in case I didn't get in - it is a pretty common question that interviewers ask.

I guess what I want to say is: It is okay to feel afraid of not getting in. But don't let that slow you down or stress you out. Have more confidence. Hope to see you next year =)
Hi Myope
How do you like Duke-NUS? I studied in the US but I'm a Jamaican citizen. My cGPA is 3.55 and science GPA is 3.57, so I"m really nervous about getting in. I majored in Chemistry but junior and senior year I focused on East Asian studies. I loved it more then Chemistry. Reading last year's thread freaked me out

Well it is only the fourth week in school so I can't tell you much. But I like it very much so far and the faculty and administration are definitely a supportive crowd. They had team building sessions to make you feel comfortable with the team you're assigned to. There is a great sense of cooperativeness more than competitiveness here.

Though as a disclaimer, like most things, it is very subjective when you hear from me. Especially since I can't compare with other medical school out there. Also, I'm a local student so I understand that international students may perceive things differently. We are a rather unique culture in some ways.

And with the service commitments and post-grad residency policies, it also mean that more than just the school you're more likely to be choosing the country Singapore to stay in for a long time too. I understand that some might not like the idea especially being so far away from home.

I'll say take time to decide. Drop by the sunny island if you think it helps. Talk to the admissions people too, they are really helpful. =)

I take it that your cGPA is out of 4 right? Don't worry, it seems competitive. All the best for your MCAT =)

I guess more than East Asian Studies and Chemistry, you'd have to figure if you like medicine.

I definitely want to do medicine. I was in singapore last summer. I spent a month there, and visited the Duke-NUS building. I definitely want to live and make a life for myself in singapore, hence I feel this is the perfect program for me

Man, I've been so nervous after taking the 8/17 MCAT, it's my second attempt. I certainly I hope I improve from my 32 last year. I'm predicting ~35 this time, which is exactly my aamc practice averages. I've applied early acceptance, submitting my application back in July.

How is everyone doing with their applications? I've been reading the previous forums from Duke-NUS and I don't really know what to expect. I feel like a 3.5 cGPA from Boston U, and my current 32 isn't gonna get me anywhere. I really regret having played so much in undergrad.

Currently, I'm sitting on about a year of clinical volunteer experience, 1.5+ year investigative research, and a biochem & molecular bio degree with distinction. Probably, going to be conducting more research this year, as that is an area I am beginning to discover a real interest and passion for. If everything goes south, I'll probably end up going for a MSc in biomed engineering and applying once again in the future.

I guess, just throwing everything out there for discussion cuz i'm curious what other applicants' credentials are like, and the wait for my MCAT scores are just ripping me to pieces. I'm really hoping that I get in somewhere...I'm also applying to HKU and Duke-NUS cuz I wanna stay somewhere in Asia close to my girlfriend. Her parents already hate me...I guess they think I'm a loser. Hai..anyway, reading these forums have been a good source of consolation and escape from all these problems. Hope all of you are doing well in your apps.

Did anyone take more than one MCAT? I just got my score and I am crushed. It is far from Duke-NUS average.:scared:

There are students who took their MCAT four times before admission. So don't give up. Keep on trying. All the best! =)

Did anyone take more than one MCAT? I just got my score and I am crushed. It is far from Duke-NUS average.:scared:

I just took my second one and waiting for results. Definitely don't give up. The MCAT can be beaten. I read on a forum that a previous music major got a 40S after 6 months of studying. The guy/gal might be a genius, but knowing that someone can switch majors in his/her third year in undergrad and get a 40 on the MCAT just means this exam can be conquered! Hardwork = 90% of the battle!

You should definitely study and study smart for the MCAT. I would definitely recommend buying a prep book and thoroughly understand all the concepts in the books (without too much memorization of details). Supplementing the concepts with problems will definitely help solidifying the concepts even further. I haven't gotten my second score yet, but I definitely feel like it will be higher than the last.

This has probably been mentioned elsewhere in the forums, but after looking around, I didn't see a very comprehensive answer. I guess, I'll ask this question here.

What's the average/standard pay for general practitioners in Singapore? What is the pay for Duke-NUS graduates during the bond period? How is that pay comparable to the typical household in Singapore? How expensive are the costs of living in Singapore? i.e. housing, food, utilities, car, children's education, medical insurance, etc? Is housing provided for during the bond period?

What is the medical environment for new medical doctors? For example, is it difficult to find a satisfactory position/residency (i.e. what types of specialties are most competitive and difficult to get in and how many spots generally are open, etc)? What sort of concerns do new doctors or medical students encounter in regarding to their career in Singapore?

Also, if anyone cares to explain, what and how does the healthcare system work in Singapore? For example, is there any healthcare insurance policy and coverage? How do patients and doctors usually interact (I only have experience in the US and Taiwan)?

Lastly, what is it like to live in Singapore? What are the tax rates? Are there mandatory retirement funds? Is housing/real estate/property a big concern for new graduates? Is public transportation well organized, if any exists? I guess just anything that is characteristic of Singapore that people should be aware of before making a life in Singapore.

I'm still trying to find answers for these questions while coming up with new ones. I'll keep posted once I find anything interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the first year after graduation the pay is about SGD$3.6k in second year is about SGD$4.5k. Compared against a fresh undergrad from a science faculty gets around SGD$2.8k.

Cost of rental of a room is about SGD$1K. Cost of eating out is generally around $5 per meal. Utilities depends on usage, but is pretty heavily taxed. Cars are definitely very expensive but the transport system here is a pretty good alternative (we do have a public transport system). Medical insurance varies with which insurance company and the package that you buy. Check companies like AIA, Great Eastern, Prudential, Aviva, NTUC Income. Housing is not provided during the bond period. Only non-Singapore citizen/PRs International Medical Graduates (IMG) are provided a small allowance to settle in. Perhaps you can refer to http://www.guidemesingapore.com/relocation/introduction/singapore-cost-of-living for some idea of what it is like living in Singapore.

Residencies are competitive. But everyone gets a job. Competitive residencies includes but not exclusive to Dermatology, Paediatric Medicine, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Orthopaedic Surgery and Plastic Surgery. These residencies requires a copayment of $450 per month which is waived upon acceptance of MOH training award which comes with additional bond. For more information refer to http://physician.mohh.com.sg

I'm not very sure what you mean by the healthcare system in Singapore, we do have medical insurance coverage for certain diseases and procedures for citizens. And I'm not really sure what you mean by how do doctors and patients interact... There may be some language barrier since the older population tends to be non-English speaking and for some groups speaking in their dialect may help in building rapport.

For tax related questions, refer to http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page01.aspx?id=88

We have a mandatory saving scheme, it is called the Central Provident Fund (CPF) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Provident_Fund

I guess if you really want to know how it is like in Singapore, you should make a trip down here to look around. =)

Thanks Myopes for your input. It has helped give me a much better understanding of Singapore. I hope it helps many others as well.

I guess when I refer to healthcare system, I want to know how patients go about paying for their treatments. For example, in US the insurance company usually covers the costs or the patients pay from their own pocket. In Taiwan, a national health insurance pays for almost everything. I think I read somewhere Singapore has the 3Ms: MediSave, MediShield, and MediFund. I believe MSave requires all citizens to input funds from their income. MediShield offers different price-valued plans, and MFund provides for those that are less capable of handling medical expenses. http://www.american.com/archive/2008/may-june-magazine-contents/the-singapore-model/

Regarding patient-doctor interactions, I guess I'm just curious how it actually plays out in Singapore. For example, in the US patient-doctor interactions is rather brief (maybe 5-10 min?) and generally patients are quite respectful of physicians. In Taiwan, I would like to believe that most doctors are treated with respect as well; however, I do hear an increasing amount of disturbing stories about patients who make ridiculous demands on doctors, such as "I need a piercing (@ the ER)", "I demand a certain treatment (whether it was necessary or not) or else I go elsewhere." These things probably happen in other countries as well.

I'm heading to Singapore in October for an open house event hosted by Duke-NUS. I am pretty excited about going to Singapore and seeing the place firsthand. I really hope I'll enjoy my trip there.

Last edited:
Yes, Medisave is a compulsory saving scheme, it is part of the CPF mandatory saving scheme since we don't run on a pension. The model is some what like a savings bank own by the government. There are some limitations on whether a procedure can be claimed using Medisave or not, i.e. some treatment such as hepatitis B injections are medisave deductible, others are not. But the CPF scheme is only for Citizens and PRs if I'm not wrong. We are not a welfare state like UK for reasons that will become too hot a debate for this forum. So ultimately, even the Medisave is something that comes out of our own pockets. It is a good idea to get some sort of health/life/hospitalization insurance (they can also be CPF deductible) on your own. School does provide for the length of stay in school, and there are workplace insurance policies out there but still a personal one would help very much.

As for doctor patient interactions... well... generally the profession is well respected, we have our Singapore Medical Council that help make sure the profession remains professional. You may wish to refer to their annuals that contain all case hearings on professional conduct. So it is a rather transparent system. I suppose once in a while there are some "unusual" demands but you'll be taught to balance between patients' demands and patients' needs. Ethics and professionalism are a core part of medical training after all.

Hi Myopes, did you get accepted by Duke-NUS in your first attempt?

Yes, it was a privilege. =)
I'd say it's your hard work paid off. Do you mind sharing a bit of your background/application experiences? I'm sure we all can learn something from you.

I don't really mind but bear in mind that it isn't all about grades and MCAT scores. Your entire application matters.

Grades
I obtained BSc (Hons) in one of the local unis here. GPA is around 4.6/5. MCAT score is 33. Again grades are NOT everything!!!

When I applied
I applied very early, within 2 weeks when the early application opened in May. Duke-NUS runs on a rolling admission scheme, so the sooner you jump on the band wagon, the sooner you get the interview the higher the chances of your acceptance. It takes a while to send out Letter of Recommendations (LORs) and write the essays, so it was a good thing I started my preparation for LORs since January. It is good to be as honest as possible in your essay, but don't go sounding too immature. Social maturity is an aspect that they look out for. It is good to think of this as a job application rather than an admissions application.

LORs
I had three LORs, not sure if they increased the number of letters you need or not but I was fortunate to work with really good mentors throughout my entire undergrad career and after graduation. They exposed me to many areas of research so I had plenty to write about. I was doing translational research and clinical research for a while too, so my mentor could elaborate on my interaction with patients as well as the clinical aspect of my work. All three are either Deans or Assistant Directors. I really am grateful to all of them for nurturing me and it is not everyday that you meet bosses/supervisors/professors who are supportive all the way.

Research Experience
I wrote a 2 page long essay on my research experience, but I'm not going to do it here. ;)

As I mentioned, I was working in translational research as well as clinical research field. I also did research in pedagogy (the study of education, particularly in the field of problem based learning in kids) before undergrad and basic science research of developmental biology during first year undergrad.

At the time of application I had 1 paper and had presented a poster at a conference. It is good to have publications, but it is understandable that a fresh undergrad wouldn't have one. While 10 papers sound impressive, there isn't really any difference compared to 1 paper so don't worry about that.

They do ask about your research at interviews. So do know what you are doing. It will be unimpressive if the interviewer asked you about a key aspect of your research yet you do not know anything about it.

Volunteer work
I didn't really have much strong things to boast about in terms of volunteer work. Not that I didn't do any, just that I hadn't really any thing to prove it. So this section was a source of panic for me. I did some peer tutoring as an undergrad, occasionally raise funds for charity (flag day etc). But it definitely helps your application I feel.

Extra Curricula and awards
I was not really active in extra curricula activities, joined a club as a committee member during first year and that was it. I held a scholarship during my time as an undergrad.

Interviews
I had a total of three interviewers, one of them was ad hoc. Experience differ from applicant to applicant but generally do know why you are there. That is to say know your application well. Also know about the school. Treat it like a job interview. DRESS PROFESSIONALLY.

Anyways if you are a local, you are expected to know the healthcare system and the great history of medicine in Singapore. Or at least some parts to it. Great place to gain this resource is at the SGH Museum or just wiki or google.

Interviewers don't usually grill you like they are having a BBQ party so relax and be confident of yourself. You are called for the applicant day for a reason. But having said that I've my share of experience on my applicant day.

Applicant day is not all about the interview, there is also the mock TeamLEAD component, so take time to decide if this is the kind of education that you want. Because it will be with you for the rest of your education in Duke-NUS.

Hmm... I think that is about it.

Thanks for sharing your info. When you say grades are not everything do you mean it carries the same weightage as the rest or maybe slightly more imporatnt? Cos to many of us MCAT is the first big hurdle that we have to overcome before anything else. I'm gonna sit for it soon and if it doesn't turn out well, say below Duke-NUS' average, should I still try applying and re-submit a better score next year? Will they even consider me as a qualified applicant?

Anyone got invites to applicant day yet? I realize the app deadline just passed but it had started a while now. Anyone?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your info. When you say grades are not everything do you mean it carries the same weightage as the rest or maybe slightly more imporatnt? Cos to many of us MCAT is the first big hurdle that we have to overcome before anything else. I'm gonna sit for it soon and if it doesn't turn out well, say below Duke-NUS' average, should I still try applying and re-submit a better score next year? Will they even consider me as a qualified applicant?

Well when I said grades aren't everything, I mean the adcom doesn't look at just grades from your undergrad and MCAT. Of course having a good MCAT score (>30) makes you more competitive, and if you can improve it further, you will be able to impress the adcom better.

Some students didn't do so well for their undergrad can be due to the nature of their undergrad programme, but usually they do very well for their MCAT and vice versa. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, don't sweat it if you think your GPA isn't say stellar, focus on the MCAT, do your best for it. If the MCAT didn't turn out too well still go on with the application, try to retake it especially if you think you can do much better.

My first post here! And I sit next to Myopes in class but I am nowhere as stellar as he is. *waves*

My stats were 2nd upper undergrad degree, MCAT score 30, worked as a nurse for two years in a local hospital's intensive care unit (fulfills the volunteering experience bit I guess but I still did some volunteering work here and there). Was in first applicant day and got in on my first try. As you can tell, my stats aren't really fantastic and I was pretty anxious about it and almost wanted to retake my MCAT. But honestly based on the information out there, studying that much more just to get one or two points more is really not worth the time at all. I think you would do better to use the time to boost your application a little bit in other areas - especially in your research, leadership and volunteering experience (if you have none) so you will have much more to talk about during the interview. I was interviewed by a Year 3 medical student and a Professor btw.

So anyways, I guess like what myopes says, they're looking for all-rounded individuals, not just people who do well in school. Because academic excellence is really no measure of your capability as a doctor. So bottomline: try to get at least a 30 for your MCAT, but if you don't manage to and still feel that your application is good enough, then just give it a shot. Others have gotten in with a 2nd lower and an MCAT score of 28. So I dont see why you can't! :)

All the best!

Hi, when do applicant days generally begin and proceed until? I just got an email invitation to an applicant day either on the 18th of september or 16th of november, but im nervous and not sure when to go. I feel like two weeks isn't enough for me to mentally prepare for an interview as I didn't think it would come so soon. Earlier or later, does it matter much? Seems like a silly question but my emotions are getting to me I think.

Thanks for posting in this forum, guys. Really appreciate it

Honestly, I would suggest you go in early. 2 weeks is sufficient time for an interview prep, in my honest opinion.

Hi, when do applicant days generally begin and proceed until? I just got an email invitation to an applicant day either on the 18th of september or 16th of november, but im nervous and not sure when to go. I feel like two weeks isn't enough for me to mentally prepare for an interview as I didn't think it would come so soon. Earlier or later, does it matter much? Seems like a silly question but my emotions are getting to me I think.
Hi ih371990, when did you submit your application?

My first post here! And I sit next to Myopes in class but I am nowhere as stellar as he is. *waves*

My stats were 2nd upper undergrad degree, MCAT score 30, worked as a nurse for two years in a local hospital's intensive care unit (fulfills the volunteering experience bit I guess but I still did some volunteering work here and there). Was in first applicant day and got in on my first try. As you can tell, my stats aren't really fantastic and I was pretty anxious about it and almost wanted to retake my MCAT. But honestly based on the information out there, studying that much more just to get one or two points more is really not worth the time at all. I think you would do better to use the time to boost your application a little bit in other areas - especially in your research, leadership and volunteering experience (if you have none) so you will have much more to talk about during the interview. I was interviewed by a Year 3 medical student and a Professor btw.

So anyways, I guess like what myopes says, they're looking for all-rounded individuals, not just people who do well in school. Because academic excellence is really no measure of your capability as a doctor. So bottomline: try to get at least a 30 for your MCAT, but if you don't manage to and still feel that your application is good enough, then just give it a shot. Others have gotten in with a 2nd lower and an MCAT score of 28. So I dont see why you can't! :)

All the best!
Hi teddyger87, how long were your essays?

Hi teddyger87, how long were your essays?
Hey I tried to keep them to one page each. Times New Roman, Size 12. For my personal statement, it went to about 1.5 pages long. But that was the maximum. Try to keep it succinct.

I must have submitted my applications back in July to early August.

Man, i ended up going to the recent applicant day. Myopes was right that two weeks was really enough to prepare for it. It was quite an experience, especially teamlead. I think i would actually enjoy class like that lol.

Any current med students that went to the applicant day for free lunch in this thread?

Man, i ended up going to the recent applicant day. Myopes was right that two weeks was really enough to prepare for it. It was quite an experience, especially teamlead. I think i would actually enjoy class like that lol.

Any current med students that went to the applicant day for free lunch in this thread?
Hi ih371990, can you share with us your experience on applicant day and advice on how to prepare it? It seems this year's thread is not as hot as last year's.

Sure thing :)
I guess i will just go through the schedule for the day. There was an introduction about the school and program for about 40-60min, followed by a mock TeamLead session for about an hour. After that, some of the applicants went for interviews while the rest went for a written essay test. Then, brief lunch with faculty and students followed with interview, or essay, depending on which group you were in initially. Lastly, there is a short debriefing section. I think there are three interviews in total, each about 20 min long. There might be only 2 for MD track and 3 for MD/PhD, im not sure.

A paper is sent to you for the teamlead session, make sure you understand it and have some opinion about it for discussion. Essay topic is on the spot, so be prepared to write.

Interviews are like any other interview. Be prepare to talk about urself, otherwise the interviewers were in general quite friendly people and want to learn about u. I guess, just be able to express the what, why, how of your academics, experiences, interests, and pursuit of a life in medicine and why duke-nus. Pretty standard stuff.

Teamlead is a lot of fun, so be prepared and enjoy it. During lunch, Med students and faculty answer a lot of questions and provide insight on life and school at duke nus, so have some questions you may want to have answered but is not on the website. As much as the interview is a way for the school to get to know you, i felt like it was a good opportunity to learn more about the school and help you decide if you would be happy there. I certainy learned a lot about some student sentiment toward certain aspects of life there lol.

I hear there's already acceptances from the first batch of applicants In the sept interview. but could be just rumors.

applicant day was intimidating in that most of the applicants were so much older than me. i felt like my credentials were so much weaker, but nothing i can do with having had less time.

anyway, i had some crazy good hainan chicken in singapore. i hope i get to go there and eat it every single day lol.

ih371990 - did you go for the applicant day last week?

haha cool. i was there too. may i ask which teamlead group were you in?

the admissions staff wouldnt say how many people got offered and wouldnt commit to whether anyone has offered but i kinda got the feeling there yes there were already offers out to the applicants.

and if anyone is interested she mentioned applicants in the low thousands (1000+++?), about 10 applicant days (singapore and overseas), about 18 per applicant day and then the final 56.

haha cool. I was in group 4. Which group were you in?
Personally, I think there are offers that have been made already. Two weeks is enough time, heck I think one week is enough time for them to make a decision regarding a certain applicant. But I can see how it can be to their advantage to hold some of their decisions and wait for more applications.

wow, i had no idea they were getting so many applications. i guess i was quite lucky to get an interview.

This thread certainly seems a lot quieter than the previous ones...I was certainly hoping to relieve some anxiety of the application process by sharing this journey with other applicants.

I wIll be at the NC campus Nov. 8th applicant day! I can't wait to learn more about Duke-NUS and life in Singapore.

i was in group 2. would you be the taiwanese-american or the indo-canadian? understand if you're not comfortable with revealing though :D and yes this thread is so much quieter than the old threads.

and yeah i was pleasantly shocked after learning of the crazy amount of applicants and that I got an interview. like woah.

and with regards to the decision, I think they mentioned that they needed the faculty members to sit down and discuss. but after reading the older threads it seems like their "rolling admissions" is not really rolling (like first come first served spots) but more like rolling interview invitations.

yeah, i'm the taiwanese-american, the one with the turquoise and yellow? tie who came in late for debriefing. my name's Ian btw. hope to be in duke-nus and seeing everyone on this thread :)

i remember from a book i read that (general med school stuff) interviewers rank your interview/write a summary right after your interview as to keep a good record before they forget you. Then, they come together to the admissions committee and discuss all the applicants, taking into consideration of their entire application along with the interview. And i think there's an internet source that says duke-nus also submit the admission committee decisions/thoughts to a higher board committee or something. I'll have to dig up that website.

seems like in the older threads that a lot of people get their notification (acceptance/rejection/wait-listed) around feb-mar, even as late as april/may. I really hope i don't have to wait that long...for an acceptance of course :D

Last edited:
yeah, i'm the taiwanese-american, the one with the turquoise and yellow? tie who came in late for debriefing. my name's Ian btw. hope to be in duke-nus and seeing everyone on this thread :)

i remember from a book i read that (general med school stuff) interviewers rank your interview/write a summary right after your interview as to keep a good record before they forget you. Then, they come together to the admissions committee and discuss all the applicants, taking into consideration of their entire application along with the interview. And i think there's an internet source that says duke-nus also submit the admission committee decisions/thoughts to a higher board committee or something. I'll have to dig up that website.

seems like in the older threads that a lot of people get their notification (acceptance/rejection/wait-listed) around feb-mar, even as late as april/may. I really hope i don't have to wait that long...for an acceptance of course :D
I will really dread applying to 15+ schools with essays, short answers, interviews, etc next year, if i do end up rejected this cycle. Been through it once and it definitely wasn't fun.
Hi Lan,

You meant you have applied Duke-NUS before or medical schools in general? Is Duke-NUS your first choice?

I haven't submitted mine but will do it soon. Hope we can be in the same class next year.

Hi there,:) I was at the applicant day on 16 Oct as well. I'm a reapplicant and got to hear about my rejection in march this year. Hopefully, we don't have to go through a long tormenting wait.

Hi there,:) I was at the applicant day on 16 Oct as well. I'm a reapplicant and got to hear about my rejection in march this year. Hopefully, we don't have to go through a long tormenting wait.

Good luck this time!!

What did you do differently this time for apps? It seems like march notice and may application opening doesnt give much time unless you had planned the year already for worst case scenario. If you dont want to elaborate, i wont press you :)