2012-2013 Emory University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wish they'd stop telling me to pay for the CSS profile to finish my financial aid app. I interviewed in November and haven't heard anything. Just reject me already!

+1

I'm getting really annoyed at the stupid "you have financial aid information missing" email.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you get an acceptance packet in the mail finally? When did you receive it, if you don't mind my asking? I know you hadn't on Friday 3/8 as you said on the thread. Congrats!
lol no i didn't get one...i'm just surprised there are almost no SDNers who got in
 
Does anyone know where I can find the match lists for Emory from the past few years?

I haven't been able to find any online. But they included the 2012 match list in the folder they gave to interviewees.

It seems like Emory accepts a lot of its own students. Everyone else is kind of all over the place, some top-notch some not... just like any other school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think March 31st is a Sunday. I'm going to assume we will hear something this week. Anyone mind calling?
 
Waitlisted today

+3

By April 10th:
If you wish to ACCEPT ALTERNATE STATUS for the MD program, please reply as follows:

Reply to: [email protected]
Subject: Accept Alternate Status
Include:
1. Your full name and AAMC ID number
2. Your phone number (cell phone is preferred)
3. Tell us why you are interested in the MD program at Emory​
 
Just waitlisted via email.
me too, anyone get rejected? is emory's waitlist movement small or normal compared to other schools?
"HOW MANY ALTERNATES WILL EMORY ACCEPT?
That depends upon how many spots open up in the first-year class. We have no way of knowing how many spots will become available. Some years we have accepted as many as 20 alternates; other years we have been able to accept only 4 or 5."
 
me too, anyone get rejected? is emory's waitlist movement small or normal compared to other schools?
"HOW MANY ALTERNATES WILL EMORY ACCEPT?
That depends upon how many spots open up in the first-year class. We have no way of knowing how many spots will become available. Some years we have accepted as many as 20 alternates; other years we have been able to accept only 4 or 5."

4 or 5....suucks...got the email too..oh well officially joining the Waitlist crew
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They mentioned at interview day that they overaccept (2x their class size if I remember right) and since they moved into the new buildings they've had very, very little movement off their waitlist. The 3-4 figure reflects that recent trend.

They ask you to write an essay to stay on the waitlist? 😕
 
Does anyone know if they've contacted people for interviews for the scholarship yet? PM me if you don't want to be singled out.
 
I emailed them and they said they will be going out a little bit before April 15... but that might just be mine, I have a double hold deadline at another school the 15th.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To all who got/will get accepted, congrats! My best friend will be going to Emory this fall, be nice to her!! 😀
 
I just had a question. I never applied or interviewed at Emory, but I do have a few friends that go there. Why do students have two months off to take the STEP 1 exam halfway through year 2. Is it because Emory covers all material on the STEP exam in 18 months. Doesn't this put you guys at a slight disadvantage compared to those that have the full 2 years before taking the exam. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, Emory has a class average STEP score of 228, I just want to understand the rationale behind it. Thanks!
 
I just had a question. I never applied or interviewed at Emory, but I do have a few friends that go there. Why do students have two months off to take the STEP 1 exam halfway through year 2. Is it because Emory covers all material on the STEP exam in 18 months. Doesn't this put you guys at a slight disadvantage compared to those that have the full 2 years before taking the exam. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, Emory has a class average STEP score of 228, I just want to understand the rationale behind it. Thanks!

Emory has no big summer break during the first summer. I don't know exactly how the calendars compare but i suspect that is the major difference. plus, it's not like a few months of class make a huge difference for step 1. A lot of the stuff you learn for the first year or two is not high-yield material for the exam. You get the background material from the classes but I think it's the specific exam study time that really matters for your score.
 
Emory has no big summer break during the first summer. I don't know exactly how the calendars compare but i suspect that is the major difference. plus, it's not like a few months of class make a huge difference for step 1. A lot of the stuff you learn for the first year or two is not high-yield material for the exam. You get the background material from the classes but I think it's the specific exam study time that really matters for your score.
Thanks!!!
 
So I thought I had until tomorrow to replay about the alternate list, and sent in my e-mail at 12:00am on the 11th. I have a hard time imagining they will be that picky about it, but do you guys think it will be a problem?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.