You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Harvard Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Got the email now...accepted NP (only applied NP), waitlisted MD/PhD
Congrats to all accepted applicants!
same situation (except I applied HST as well)....Would you take an NP-only offer at Harvard vs. other MSTP offers?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mother likes to say that worrying is like praying for something you don't want to happen!
I'm going to try to stop thinking about it and hope that my email is just coming later this evening...
Congratulations to those accepted!!! 👍
I'm going to try to stop thinking about it and hope that my email is just coming later this evening...
Congratulations to those accepted!!! 👍
My mother likes to say that worrying is like praying for something you don't want to happen!
I'm going to try to stop thinking about it and hope that my email is just coming later this evening...
Congratulations to those accepted!!! 👍
Will there be emails later this evening? I thought they were all done 🙁

.
Last edited:
THERE IT IS!!!
ACCEPTED TO HST & NP!!!!!
YES!!!!!
😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
CONGRATS! When did you receive your email??
.
Last edited:
ACCEPTED for NP!! Holy @(#!#&^&#()@!$ !
What time was the email sent? Congrats!ACCEPTED for NP!! Holy @(#!#&^&#()@!$ !
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to everyone accepted!
So is it over for NP? 🙁🙁
So is it over for NP? 🙁🙁
Oh well Harvard was a nice dream....🙁
anyone think it's possible that there's a wave still coming? i have friends who are basically shoo-ins (fellowship winners, started nonprofits, etc.) who still haven't heard back from either program...
I think by now it's safe to say it's over =(
anyone think it's possible that there's a wave still coming? i have friends who are basically shoo-ins (fellowship winners, started nonprofits, etc.) who still haven't heard back from either program...
I don't think there's such thing as a shoo-in to Harvard.
I don't think there's such thing as a shoo-in to Harvard.
3.9+, 38+, Rhodes scholar? just one example, but i think that's a pretty safe bet...
3.9+, 38+, Rhodes scholar? just one example, but i think that's a pretty safe bet...
I think one thing to keep in mind is that when you get to this "level" of school it becomes a crapshoot pretty quick. Because there are probably a lot of candidates who fit that profile (maybe not Rhodes scholar, but you get the idea - the high academic achiever who did something special). So the question for HMS's adcom is how do you build a class that isn't all kids like that?
Maybe 30 of those "shoo-ins" get accepted. But I'd bet more than thirty applied - and it'd be a fine hair indeed distinguishing between them.
I think one thing to keep in mind is that when you get to this "level" of school it becomes a crapshoot pretty quick. Because there are probably a lot of candidates who fit that profile (maybe not Rhodes scholar, but you get the idea - the high academic achiever who did something special). So the question for HMS's adcom is how do you build a class that isn't all kids like that?
Maybe 30 of those "shoo-ins" get accepted. But I'd bet more than thirty applied - and it'd be a fine hair indeed distinguishing between them.
Exactly.
The class x amount of foreigners, x amount of people from certain backgrounds, x amount of whites/asians/blacks/latinos, x different states represented, etc. Maybe the 'shoe-in' people were amazing candidates... unfortunately 100 amazing candidates probably needed to compete for 20 slots of people with nearly identical life experiences. I'm disappointed I didn't get in, but at the same time I know I gave it my best shot and the adcom does its best to let the pieces fall as they may.
FYI, this is all sour grapes on my behalf. So take what I say with a grain of salt haha - I am feeling pretty burnt right now, and not just by my beloved NP.
FYI, this is all sour grapes on my behalf. So take what I say with a grain of salt haha - I am feeling pretty burnt right now, and not just by my beloved NP.
I know that feel
Last edited:
I know that feel. I want to post a whole lot of angry stuff right now haha but I am coping. I think alcohol helps -_-
Can't wait to finish my test so that I can join you in your coping mechanisms.
FYI, this is all sour grapes on my behalf. So take what I say with a grain of salt haha - I am feeling pretty burnt right now, and not just by my beloved NP.
http://tedx.swarthmore.edu/?page_id=554
This video from Barry Schwartz is phenomenal and summarizes a lot of my sentiments on how unfair this entire admissions process can be. It's so easy for your identity to get caught up in the rejections/acceptances you receive, but really, at the end of the day, the adcom only has in front of them an application and not you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4
487806
THERE IT IS!!!
ACCEPTED TO HST & NP!!!!!
YES!!!!!
😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
Accepted as well!!!! 😀 NP only applicant!!!
Interviewed in October, last name early in the alphabet
Wow, you guys are sure on fire.

Congrats to both of you and to all who are accepted.anyone have interviews with dr. byrne and mundel?
I did, and I haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming wait list/rejection.
<3.9+, 38+, Rhodes scholar? just one example, but i think that's a pretty safe bet...
Last edited:
Waitlisted at 5:41PM EST. Oh well. It's all over but the crying!
Congrats to those who got in!!
For what program?
ACCEPTED TO NP!! HOLY $*#%!!! Congrats everyone! Recieved the email today at 12:23pm. Sorry for the delay - I went on a hike to get my mind off the wait and I just got back to the world of cell reception! Cheers!!🙂
for what program?
np.
Accepted to NP and HST today! Other MSTP offers will likely trump, but excited nonetheless.
when are statuses going to be updated for rejection/waitlist? i dont understand why they dont just do it all at once
when are statuses going to be updated for rejection/waitlist? i dont understand why they dont just do it all at once
received an np waitlist email at 5:41est today, no idea if they are staggering it though. congrats to those accepted!
received an np waitlist email at 5:41est today, no idea if they are staggering it though. congrats to those accepted!
Dumb question for those receiving waitlists- were those the only programs you applied to?
I wonder why other np waitlists haven't gone out yet?
Dumb question for those receiving waitlists- were those the only programs you applied to?
I wonder why other np waitlists haven't gone out yet?
yup i only applied NP! i'm really confused about the order np waitlists are going out in. I was surprised to find one in my inbox today at all since in previous years WL's had gone out the day after acceptances
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh oh! What if the people who haven't received emails today for acceptance/waitlist are going to get rejections tomorrow...... Aw shucks![]()
They (we) almost certainly will. Not much to be "scared" about, though. It's been a good run.
Congratulations all of my future fellow HMSers!!!!!! The Class of 2016 is happy to welcome you to the fold. We are prepping and planning for your arrival in April for HMS REVISIT 2013!!!! Get excited! As the Executive Producer of "Fabric" this year (if you don't know what it is, youtube it), I can tell you that we are working hard to make this experience fantastic. Also, I created a Facebook Group for your class, but until I have the list (likely today), I won't be able to confirm you are actually accepted. However, request to be part of the group. It is a great way to find out who your prospective classmates are. You will have all kinds of conversations leading in to Revisit that will help you all develop a community. A lot of us (current HMSers) will also be posting useful information on the site. The link is here ---> https://www.facebook.com/groups/337106066390852/ I'm so excited for all of you. Welcome!There is no facebook group, just lots of people congratulating my friends![]()
I'm sorry, I'd be remiss to not express my sincere regret to those who were rejected. Like another member expressed, it does become a little bit of a crapshoot. I remember getting into Harvard, Penn, Yale, P&S, Hopkins,etc. but I was rejected at GW, Boston U, and UNC Chapel Hill. It never feels good, but none of us really get in everywhere. Remember, this news really says very little to nothing about the strength of your app. I wish you all the very best, and I'm sure you're all going to become great physicians. Good luck and Godspeed.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K