2012-2013 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary is out: (1800 characters for each response)

1) Highlighting your experiences in the health care field, what insights have you gained about potential
problems you will face as a physician? (Provide details of your health care experiences without
providing actual patient names).

2) Describe the activity (curricular or extracurricular) from which you gained the greatest personal
benefit and insight.

3) How will the University of Connecticut School of Medicine best serve your needs of becoming a
physician or physician scientist?

Hm. Would it be bad to discuss the same event in great detail in the first two questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
im a pre-med so take that with a grain of salt.

i think you have only 3 questions so if they can be different then use different examples and show your breadth. if you're really gung ho on using the same example i would shed 2 completely different lights on it. like make the first one really about how it resonated in a healthcare lesson and the second one on how it really resonated on a greater personal insight that changes how you view your life/purpose/mission (which may very well include medicine). i hope that makes sense. best of luck in your application!

I shake my fist at the second question. As if the "most meaningful" essays weren't enough. :rolleyes:

I didn't get anything yet, this sucks.

I don't know how to write separate essays for the first two questions. Any advice on how to do this? My most meaningful experience also taught me about the problems faced by physicians.

Just sent in my secondary application, honestly this is my top choice but with only 89 students accepted each year I'm really nervous. Oh well, hopefully they show me some love. Good luck to everyone else!

Has anyone who submitted their secondary already heard anything back from UConn yet?

Nope, just the automated response saying "you can be assured that we have received your secondary" set up as the vacation reply :)

I don't really know what they are looking for in the first question. How did you guys interpret this? I thought it was just problems physicians face, like exhaustion, stress, etc., but then it says provide details of your health care experiences without patient names...so I guess they want anecdotes? Like what physicians you shadowed faced with certain patients? I'm so confused with this one. My least favorite secondary so far.

Secondary is out: (1800 characters for each response)

1) Highlighting your experiences in the health care field, what insights have you gained about potential
problems you will face as a physician? (Provide details of your health care experiences without
providing actual patient names).

2) Describe the activity (curricular or extracurricular) from which you gained the greatest personal
benefit and insight.

3) How will the University of Connecticut School of Medicine best serve your needs of becoming a
physician or physician scientist?

I don't really know what they are looking for in the first question. How did you guys interpret this? I thought it was just problems physicians face, like exhaustion, stress, etc., but then it says provide details of your health care experiences without patient names...so I guess they want anecdotes? Like what physicians you shadowed faced with certain patients? I'm so confused with this one. My least favorite secondary so far.

I used anecdotes.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What would you say for that third question:

What makes UConn unique from every other medical school out there?

I haven't heard from them since 7/3. Is this normal?

www.google.com

do some research and figure out what makes the school unique. If you're too lazy to do that then I dont know what to tell you.

maybe he/she isn't being "lazy," but understands that this is a forum and is interested in what other people think. what google will tell you is probably just what the school says to try and sell itself, unless the google search leads back to sdn.

Interview invite just in!

Gratz. When were you complete? Also, was it by e-mail? I'm nervous schools will call me, but I'm having trouble setting up my voice mail. :p

Just got my invite too! They called me. For those wondering, I am OOS.

interview invite 8/6

Last edited:
Woah you heard back really fast, we're you EDP? Or regular MD?

Yea I was surprised too. I submitted a few secondaries by that point and havent heard anything from them. I am regular MD.

File was complete 7/12 and my invite was by email. I have kind of nontrad stats but I promise they're real lol, 3.5/40. I think most invites go out by phone, but I had similar voicemail issues so I was sent an email. They'll get a hold of you if they can't get through to your phone it's no worry.

Anyone having trouble pasting things for a word document to the secondary? It just doesn't seem to work for me..

Edit: Nevermind I was trying to fill it out from the link they sent me but I realized I needed to save the PDF and then open it to be able to copy.

Last edited:
Wow! Must be awesome having 4 invites this early on! Where have you been invited to so far if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! Every school in New England except Havard and Yale. Cornell, Mt Sinai, Buffalo, Stony Brook, Rochester, NYMC, NYU and Upstate. 4 invites so far!

Would someone mind sharing how long the wait between verification and receiving secondary app was- thanks!

It was 2 days for me

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

New York is not in New England and there are a hell of a lot more schools in New England than that. >.<

Anyway, UCONN looks great! Hope to hear back from them but I applied kind of late so who knows.

OOS II yesterday by phone. Can any current students speak about the school? I'm not sure yet if I'm going to accept the interview or not, just because of travel expenses...thanks!

OOS II yesterday by phone. Can any current students speak about the school? I'm not sure yet if I'm going to accept the interview or not, just because of travel expenses...thanks!

Congrats! When did you submit your secondary and if you don't mind, what are your stats?

Thanks! I submitted July 25

30R,3.45 cgpa + a LOT of extracurriculars

Congratulations! I know you're thinking about declining the interview invite, but man, what I wouldn't do for one! I've been dreaming about attending this school for 5 years.

And, not to sound stuck-up or downplay your accomplishments, because you earned that interview invite fair and square, but I am super pissed at this school, and here's why: I am an in state applicant, 31O, 3.97 GPA with lots of extracurriculars and clinical experience as well. I also submitted JUNE 6TH. And I have not heard back from this school.

Again, sorry to rant at your expense, Faithfully68. Congratulations again on your II.

Congratulations! I know you're thinking about declining the interview invite, but man, what I wouldn't do for one! I've been dreaming about attending this school for 5 years.

And, not to sound stuck-up or downplay your accomplishments, because you earned that interview invite fair and square, but I am super pissed at this school, and here's why: I am an in state applicant, 31O, 3.97 GPA with lots of extracurriculars and clinical experience as well. I also submitted JUNE 6TH. And I have not heard back from this school.

Again, sorry to rant at your expense, Faithfully68. Congratulations again on your II.

Lol it's fine, I've had similar emotions in regards to one of my in-state schools. I've decided to accept the invite because I believe its worth the shot, thanks and good luck!

im 32r, 3.6 cgpa in-state and lots of extracurriculars/volunteering. i'm not sure what to do with this.

anybody do a letter of interest here?

im 32r, 3.6 cgpa in-state and lots of extracurriculars/volunteering. i'm not sure what to do with this.

anybody do a letter of interest here?

I've been thinking about it. My stats are roughly the same but gpa is 3.8ish and sgpa is 4.0ish. I'm kind of in state kind of not, It's complicated. Haven't heard a word and it is one of my top choices.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

did anyone get a notification that they were complete?

did anyone get a notification that they were complete?

No notification for me, I actually called in and confirmed they received everything. UCONN is making me so nervous, no word from them in almost a month :scared:

Interview invite today by phone! Complete very early, but was waiting on new MCAT scores until September 5th.

In state, 31 MCAT, 3.97 sGPA. Well-rounded ECs, years of clinical work experience.

Second interview invite of the cycle, and this one is easily my top choice. So psyched!

Status
Not open for further replies.