2012-2013 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats!!! I interviewed on 10/8 and accepted on 10/24 too 🙂

THE INTERVIEW:
The questions were not hard at all...they just want to get to know you better. However, I was taken by surprize! My staff interview was a walking interview. We walked around UConn health center for 1hr (so wear comfy shoes). While my student intervew was outside the library doors in the hallway during lunch time. Sooooo much distraction!!!! Although both interviews had distractions and noise, I thought it was somewhat better because it made it less nerve-racking.
 
Does anyone know how you can find out more information about your status? I sent in my complete secondary in July and my letter packet came in 9/23 but I haven't heard anything. I just wanted to know if I should hold out hope or if there is a silent rejection waiting for me in March (which by the way is a SUPER long time to make people wait).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how you can find out more information about your status? I sent in my complete secondary in July and my letter packet came in 9/23 but I haven't heard anything. I just wanted to know if I should hold out hope or if there is a silent rejection waiting for me in March (which by the way is a SUPER long time to make people wait).
I am wondering the same thing, given that UCONN doesnt have an online portal
 
Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone else who interviewed had any feedback to share? So we had one person have a walking/tour interview here, but I feel as though that is not the norm. Any further insight would be most welcome.

Thanks!

p.s. good luck to those waiting for II's
 
I thought the interview day was relatively low stress, as the the admissions staff really tried hard to make us feel comfortable. First we had an orientation meeting with Dr. Henderson, sort of a meet and greet, and then split up for our faculty interview. This interview was very conversational but with some typical interview questions (i.e. why medicine, why uconn, etc.). Then we had a student interview, which was again very low-stress. Both interviews lasted about an hour. Then two medical students took us to lunch and gave us a tour of the school.

I would advise looking over your application, as much of what we discussed was in relation to ECs and particular classes. Also eat a big breakfast as lunch isn't until about 1pm. Overall a very low-stress, comfortable day
 
Congrats to everyone who was accepted! I'm a first year and UConn Med right now. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the school!
 
Bump. Any other interviews or opinions about their interview? I have mine coming up in early january
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!! Now that you've been accepted, did you have any other impressions of UCONN when you visited? Do they have a gym on the med school campus?

I thought UConn had pretty nice facilities, although admittedly this is the only place i've interviewed. The medical school isn't on its own campus, it's part of the larger UConn Health Center. On the tour, I thought one of the school's best parts was their sim lab... really cool robotic patient and i like that they hire actors so you can practice your clinical skills. As for the gym, i looked it up online and it says the health center has a gym for med and dental students, but we didn't see it on the tour. In my student interview, i thought the med student said the school also pays for you to get a membership at any gym in the area. Overall, a very nice school, could definitely see myself going here
 
I thought UConn had pretty nice facilities, although admittedly this is the only place i've interviewed. The medical school isn't on its own campus, it's part of the larger UConn Health Center. On the tour, I thought one of the school's best parts was their sim lab... really cool robotic patient and i like that they hire actors so you can practice your clinical skills. As for the gym, i looked it up online and it says the health center has a gym for med and dental students, but we didn't see it on the tour. In my student interview, i thought the med student said the school also pays for you to get a membership at any gym in the area. Overall, a very nice school, could definitely see myself going here

Did you have any negatives that you didn't like about the school?
 
Hey guys, another Uconn Med student here currently interviewing for the 2013 match. (4th year)
Feel free to PM me with any questions.
 
Did you have any negatives that you didn't like about the school?

Hey, man. I just put down my deposit here. Of the places that I've been accepted so far, this one is up there on the list. Still waiting to hear from some others. But as someone who is potentially planning on going, I figured I'd give it a go at the negatives just to be completely honest.

I found there to be very little about this school to dislike. The school itself is great with an INCREDIBLY nice and caring staff. The students are all very cool. I mean, it really depends on the type you are, but I felt like I really fit in with them. Think funny, still kinda nerdy, smart, but still like to go out at nights and into sports - really an intellectual but fun crowd. I really liked it. The area is a little humdrum. I'm saying this as someone coming from NYC, so take it with a grain of salt - I was relatively unenthused by the immediate surroundings. Admittedly, I have to be honest that unless I stay where I am, nowhere will realistically match up. But you also have to realize that your time spent raging will probably be at a minimum since you're in med school.

So that's what I think. Overall, I clearly loved the school since I put down a deposit. I can easily see myself happy here - the surrounding area isn't the most "alive" I guess and that's the biggest turnoff for me, which in and of itself is minor.
 
Could anyone elaborate on the MD/MPH four year program? I'm really interested in it but I haven't found too much information on it. When do most medical students apply for it? How selective is the program? Are the classes particularly difficult and/or time-consuming considering they'll be taken in addition to the whole MD curriculum? Are there any additional costs involved? Thanks!🙂
 
Accepted last Wednesday, got the letter on Monday. It was just a small envelope with the acceptance letter. I believe they said they'd send out further information at a later date
 
Accepted last Wednesday, got the letter on Monday. It was just a small envelope with the acceptance letter. I believe they said they'd send out further information at a later date

thanks. I got the acceptance email about a week ago, but i haven't received anything in the mail. i am asking because i thought giving them a response or making a deposit is time sensitive
 
any recommendation for a hotel to stay nearby? I will be driving but I prefer the hotel to be closer. I was about to make a reservation for Homewood Suites Hotel but the story of bed bugs there grosses me out.
 
I always gotta suggest staying with a student. It's not only free, but invaluable in terms of insight into student life at a med school - something which needs to be paramount in your decision. 🙂
 
I always gotta suggest staying with a student. It's not only free, but invaluable in terms of insight into student life at a med school - something which needs to be paramount in your decision. 🙂

i got a friend coming with me too, i don't want to cause too much trouble to the student host.
 
Interviewed 10/29, accepted today. This is my state school, and easily my top choice. So excited! Best of luck to all of you still waiting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted today as well! Interviewed 11/9. Got the email from Dr. Zeff just after 12 noon. Very excited, my top choice. Good luck to those waiting to hear back!
 
Hey, man. I just put down my deposit here. Of the places that I've been accepted so far, this one is up there on the list. Still waiting to hear from some others. But as someone who is potentially planning on going, I figured I'd give it a go at the negatives just to be completely honest.

I found there to be very little about this school to dislike. The school itself is great with an INCREDIBLY nice and caring staff. The students are all very cool. I mean, it really depends on the type you are, but I felt like I really fit in with them. Think funny, still kinda nerdy, smart, but still like to go out at nights and into sports - really an intellectual but fun crowd. I really liked it. The area is a little humdrum. I'm saying this as someone coming from NYC, so take it with a grain of salt - I was relatively unenthused by the immediate surroundings. Admittedly, I have to be honest that unless I stay where I am, nowhere will realistically match up. But you also have to realize that your time spent raging will probably be at a minimum since you're in med school.

So that's what I think. Overall, I clearly loved the school since I put down a deposit. I can easily see myself happy here - the surrounding area isn't the most "alive" I guess and that's the biggest turnoff for me, which in and of itself is minor.

I wouldn't even say that's the biggest turn-off about the school - drive right into Hartford for some fun, even West Hartford has stuff going on. Lots of nice shopping centers, restaurants, plenty of clubs and probably a bunch of other stuff that I'm unfamiliar with. 🙂 Plus, as the school tells you, NYC and Boston are almost equidistant from Farmington, so if you have a day or two, you can always head east or south. But as you said, med school doesn't seem to afford most students a plethora of free time, so I doubt this will be an issue anyways!
 
Yeah man. And when I say it was my biggest turn off, it wasn't even that big lol. Clearly, since I plan on attending 🙂
 
As long as you rescind it before March 15, I'm pretty sure you get it back as per the AAMC traffic rules.
 
should we make a facebook page for the matriculating class...i'm 96.27% sure i will matriculate 🙂

the class last year did this, seems like a cool idea
 
Last edited:
Accepted today! Interviewed late Nov, OOS. One of my top choices and definitely one of my favorite interview experience. 🙂
 
Lets do it. I'm 96.26% sure I'm matriculating as well. Really only depends on my answer from the one school I'd go to over uconn and answers don't come out till march. Facebook group!

Also no, I'm OOS. FL resident.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Be eloquent, truthful, and passionate. Show your interest in medicine, the school, and its programs. Be nice to the staff and ask good questions of your interviewers, Dr. Zeff, and the tour guides. Glean as many details as you can to inform your potential decision about matriculating.

Worked for me 🙂

Best of luck!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.