You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Maryland Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
So I am an instate student. I finished my secondary for Maryland back in July but at that point I had a not-so-great MCAT score. I re-took the MCAT in September and every MD school I applied too pretty much told me that they weren't even going to review my app until they got my new MCAT score.
I was able to get my MCAT up to a good score for Maryland, but since they didn't get the score until early October I feel like this sets me back in the cycle quite a bit and could hurt my chances.
Am I worrying too much?
Yes. There's still at least 4 months of interviews and acceptances to go. You will be fine.
i applied same time as you and my mcat score was >32 and i still haven't heard anything. I don't think you're in a worse position. Only ~700 something instate applicants apply each year. I'm sure they won't overlook you.
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied same time as you and my MCAT score was >32 and I still haven't heard anything. I don't think you're in a worse position. Only ~700 something instate applicants apply each year. I'm sure they won't overlook you.
Fantastic point.
I'm OOS and still haven't heard anything yet. My GPA is a 3.92 and my MCAT is a 33S and I went to Maryland for undergrad. Does anyone have a good idea of if I should be hearing anything? I was officially complete (letters finally came in) on 9/23.
Thanks!
Thanks!
I'm OOS and still haven't heard anything yet. My GPA is a 3.92 and my MCAT is a 33S and I went to Maryland for undergrad. Does anyone have a good idea of if I should be hearing anything? I was officially complete (letters finally came in) on 9/23.
Thanks!
I'm in the same boat as you. OOS applicant, complete a couple of weeks before you, went to undergrad in Maryland, but haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.
Has anyone received an email today from Maryland saying that they have begun processing secondary applications? Here's what the email says:
"We have received your second stage application and begun to process it. If you have not had your letters of recommendation forwarded to AMCAS please do so as soon as possible. All letters of recommendation must be received by January 15th. This letter is NOT stating that our office has not received your letters. To check the status of your letters please log into your secondary application using the same login and password and click on the Status tab."
This looks a "complete" email to me, but I'm a bit confused because I had submitted everything back in early September and thought I had been complete since then. Is this an email everyone's supposed to get when their applications are complete?
I'm OOS. But my home is actually in Maryland and I went to UMD for undergrad. So I'm really hoping to get an interview from Maryland.
"We have received your second stage application and begun to process it. If you have not had your letters of recommendation forwarded to AMCAS please do so as soon as possible. All letters of recommendation must be received by January 15th. This letter is NOT stating that our office has not received your letters. To check the status of your letters please log into your secondary application using the same login and password and click on the Status tab."
This looks a "complete" email to me, but I'm a bit confused because I had submitted everything back in early September and thought I had been complete since then. Is this an email everyone's supposed to get when their applications are complete?
I'm OOS. But my home is actually in Maryland and I went to UMD for undergrad. So I'm really hoping to get an interview from Maryland.
I got the exact same email today and I'm OOS as well. Fingers crossed!Has anyone received an email today from Maryland saying that they have begun processing secondary applications? Here's what the email says:
"We have received your second stage application and begun to process it. If you have not had your letters of recommendation forwarded to AMCAS please do so as soon as possible. All letters of recommendation must be received by January 15th. This letter is NOT stating that our office has not received your letters. To check the status of your letters please log into your secondary application using the same login and password and click on the Status tab."
This looks a "complete" email to me, but I'm a bit confused because I had submitted everything back in early September and thought I had been complete since then. Is this an email everyone's supposed to get when their applications are complete?
I'm OOS. But my home is actually in Maryland and I went to UMD for undergrad. So I'm really hoping to get an interview from Maryland.
UMB MS4 here. Make sure to drop your questions in here about the school and I'll do my best to answer them. I'm usually the only Maryland student answering questions on SDN, but I know there are lots of lurkers.
Congrats to all of you accepted! Maryland is awesome.
Congrats to all of you accepted! Maryland is awesome.
Has anyone received an email today from Maryland saying that they have begun processing secondary applications? Here's what the email says:
"We have received your second stage application and begun to process it. If you have not had your letters of recommendation forwarded to AMCAS please do so as soon as possible. All letters of recommendation must be received by January 15th. This letter is NOT stating that our office has not received your letters. To check the status of your letters please log into your secondary application using the same login and password and click on the Status tab."
This looks a "complete" email to me, but I'm a bit confused because I had submitted everything back in early September and thought I had been complete since then. Is this an email everyone's supposed to get when their applications are complete?
I'm OOS. But my home is actually in Maryland and I went to UMD for undergrad. So I'm really hoping to get an interview from Maryland.
When did you submit your secondary?
I submitted well over a month ago and received that email about a day after I submitted.
When did you submit your secondary?
I submitted well over a month ago and received that email about a day after I submitted.
I submitted my secondary around September 5th. And this is the only email I've received from Maryland after the submission, besides the payment confirmation.
I was just a bit surprised to receive this email because the status tab on the secondary website has been showing that my application is ready/complete. So I was wondering if it's just a glitch with their email service. If not, I guess it's also possible that they accidentally skipped my application or failed to process my secondary until these past few days?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did any in staters who didn't fill out the in state form get interview? I didn't fill it out, and I'm wondering if this is the reason I haven't received an interview.
I don't think the form makes a difference for decisions. I believe it's processed by a different dept (according to posts on last years thread) and only makes a difference if you are accepted.
Accepted! OOS. Got a phone call tonight, interviewed mid October
Congrats!! So Exciting. Call from Dean Foxwell? Was your interview after October 11th?Accepted! OOS. Got a phone call tonight, interviewed mid October
Call from a student on the adcom 🙂 yes after the 11th
Did anyone receive a confirmation email or call after sending in the reservation form?
You get a letter after you reserve your spot
I sent in both forms and just noted on the waiver that I dont have an ID # yet
I did not fill out the form either and only sent in after my interview. So my guess is that the form should not affect you.
Call from a student on the adcom 🙂 yes after the 11th
Did you get anything in the mail yet?
accepted via phone call from dean foxwell
IS, Interviewed 10/15 🙂!!
Did you get any snail mail yet?
Still waiting............
Did you get anything in the mail yet?
Not yet
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not yet
Whew. That makes me feel a little better. I've heard nothing and I though today would be the day.
Hey peeps,
So I have a quick question. I was wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts. So I got accepted to UMD, but I still have a couple of interviews. I was thinking of cancelling my interview at VCU, which is in November. I really don't know much about VCU. Would you guys cancel it? Has anyone had this issue?
I just want to make sure that I'm not shooting myself in the foot by cancelling an interview.
So I have a quick question. I was wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts. So I got accepted to UMD, but I still have a couple of interviews. I was thinking of cancelling my interview at VCU, which is in November. I really don't know much about VCU. Would you guys cancel it? Has anyone had this issue?
I just want to make sure that I'm not shooting myself in the foot by cancelling an interview.
Hey peeps,
So I have a quick question. I was wondering if anyone could give me some thoughts. So I got accepted to UMD, but I still have a couple of interviews. I was thinking of cancelling my interview at VCU, which is in November. I really don't know much about VCU. Would you guys cancel it? Has anyone had this issue?
I just want to make sure that I'm not shooting myself in the foot by cancelling an interview.
If you already have an acceptance in hand to a school that you would definitely attend instead of another, then it is acceptable and I would even encourage you to cancel the interview, so that someone else could take the spot. However, if there is even a little doubt about whether you'd attend the school to which you're already accepted, then there really is no reason to not go on the interview (except financial). You never know if the new school will wow you in the interview or something.
This is my next interview and I'm excited! Does anyone have any suggestions in terms of places to go and see in Baltimore? Did you guys drive in, and if so, was it easy to find parking?
Parking is easy to find. I drove in
If you already have an acceptance in hand to a school that you would definitely attend instead of another, then it is acceptable and I would even encourage you to cancel the interview, so that someone else could take the spot. However, if there is even a little doubt about whether you'd attend the school to which you're already accepted, then there really is no reason to not go on the interview (except financial). You never know if the new school will wow you in the interview or something.
Thanks tarheel!! I think I will probably cancel.
Withdrew app from VCU. GO UMD!
submitted my secondary in july. just got a confirmation that they have received it. Weird
Anyone receive a II recently?
we just gotta keep our fingers crossed i guess and hope for the best :/ i heard the WL movement varies year by yearWhat are the chances of getting off the waitlist? I was really hoping for an acceptance here 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary confirmed 9/12. Has anyone who submitted secondaries around then gotten an interview yet? Wondering when the next round will be given out.
Whew. That makes me feel a little better. I've heard nothing and I though today would be the day.
got the acceptance packet in the mail friday or sat (not sure when b/c I was away this weekend haha)
Thanks chasingsummers. I am still waiting to hear. Hopefully this week.
my roommate received the acceptance package on Saturday. no call/voicemail. i remember dean foxwell saying the adcom meets on mondays, so hopefully more acceptances will go out tomorrow night
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K