You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 University of Maryland Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr. Foxwell is out of town. Not sure when they'll be making more calls, but likely by the end of November. Just a couple of more weeks!
do you know how long he will be out of town for? the adcom could meet the monday before thanksgiving if he's back by then
I interviewed >4 weeks ago. Does anyone know if they would be receptive to a call to ask about my status?
i don't think it would hurt, but i just passed 4 weeks as well and haven't heard anything yet. i'm assuming the adcom didn't meet this week?
Yeah, I interviewed on the 2nd day and it took a little over 4 weeks to hear back via mail with no phone call. My brother told me that when he interviewed 5 years ago, he didn't hear back for quite some time because it was around Thanksgiving. Just try to relax and keep your mind off of it (impossible I know) and sit tight.I interviewed >4 weeks ago. Does anyone know if they would be receptive to a call to ask about my status?
Got an e-mail basically saying I was put on pre-interview hold.
So... Probably withdrawing....
EDIT: The website says "Applicants must notify the School of Medicine in writing of any change in the status of their application (e.g., the withdrawal of the application, a request to defer matriculation, etc.)"
Does sending an e-mail count as "in writing?"
So... Probably withdrawing....
EDIT: The website says "Applicants must notify the School of Medicine in writing of any change in the status of their application (e.g., the withdrawal of the application, a request to defer matriculation, etc.)"
Does sending an e-mail count as "in writing?"
Got an e-mail basically saying I was put on pre-interview hold.
So... Probably withdrawing....
EDIT: The website says "Applicants must notify the School of Medicine in writing of any change in the status of their application (e.g., the withdrawal of the application, a request to defer matriculation, etc.)"
Does sending an e-mail count as "in writing?"
In most cases, yes.
Pre-interview hold. Damn, commencing update letter composition.
When were you complete, if you don't mind me asking? Also, IS or OOS?
When were you complete, if you don't mind me asking? Also, IS or OOS?
July 31 I believe. OOS Wisconsin, but I work at the NIH and live in DC so that may have kept me afloat for further review. Also, my MD app profile is accurate, not trying to hide anything, so you can see more detail if you want.
I just received this email as well. I'm OOS but I went to UMD for undergrad. Really surprised about this.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here. Any idea when final decisions are made with people on hold? I'm assuming this happens often for people who submit secondaries late and don't make the first round of interviews.
I had my secondary in and complete the first week of September. Fingers crossed these 'interview holds' move quickly!Same here. Any idea when final decisions are made with people on hold? I'm assuming this happens often for people who submit secondaries late and don't make the first round of interviews.
Does anyone know what the chances are of getting a II are if you were placed on pre-interview hold?
Pre-interview hold here too. :-/
How are you guys finding out that you're on a pre-interview hold? Is it an email or status update?
I had my secondary in and complete the first week of September. Fingers crossed these 'interview holds' move quickly!
I see. Yea, I got mine in 9/12 which is probably fairly late.
And haha, I guess lots of people have been put on hold. Let's hope that they gave out very few interviews in this second wave and are holding on for the third wave (in December I'm guessing?). Good luck to you guys.
How are you guys finding out that you're on a pre-interview hold? Is it an email or status update?
Mine was by email.
Pre-interview hold here as well 🙁 Stats: 3.4-3.7/3.0-3.5/31-35Q IS.... Did anyone get an II here recently? If so how far out are the invites?
D
deleted367183
I figured that s--- was a rejection! Thank God for small favors. OOS, details in MDapps.
+1 for the hold email. I got this same exact hold email last year around this time (reapplicant) and then got rejected in march without an interview, so I don't feel too hopefull... however I think a few people on last years thread got interviews after being put on hold.
Jumping on the pre-interview hold train, OOS. I hope they might be receptive to an update letter...
Withdrawing my application and jumping ship. Good luck, everyone else!
Does anyone know what the chances are of getting a II are if you were placed on pre-interview hold?
Does anyone have any info on this?
Via emailHow are you guys finding out that you're on a pre-interview hold? Is it an email or status update?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete speculation here, but I don't think this email is a terrible thing. It may just be a courtesy email letting us know we aren't being silently rejected. I got this email from my state school and that one hurt because I'm competing against ~700 people for an interview there. As an OOS for Maryland, I feel a lot better about this because I'm competing against far more people for an II. Plus, a few people have been rejected out right with really good stats so I wouldn't think too negatively of this email. Most schools are booked for interviews through December. They might just be slowing down a little.
go UMD class of 2017!!
95N in the morning is usually clear. Idk if you take 270, or 200, or 495... 270 and 495 obviously suck in the morning. So figure out your time to make it on to 95N, and I'd give yourself ~45 mins from there. Plus some cushion for parking and being nervous. The school is just off 95 and traffic is usually pretty minimal.
Some attendings and residents do the commute every day. It's not a 2 hour drive.
Some attendings and residents do the commute every day. It's not a 2 hour drive.
95N in the morning is usually clear. Idk if you take 270, or 200, or 495... 270 and 495 obviously suck in the morning. So figure out your time to make it on to 95N, and I'd give yourself ~45 mins from there. Plus some cushion for parking and being nervous. The school is just off 95 and traffic is usually pretty minimal.
Some attendings and residents do the commute every day. It's not a 2 hour drive.
Thanks!
Anybody know if they send a rejection e-mail or silently reject? I haven't heard anything since I submitted in August.
People on this thread have said they were rejected.
Anyone drive from the Bethesda area to Baltimore on their interview day? I am expecting 95 and/or 395 to be packed.. should I leave 2 hours in advance?
Traffic is a complete mess, YES leave 2 hours early. If you arrive early get something to eat and then head to your interview.
"GreyEarl: Anyone drive from the Bethesda area to Baltimore on their interview day? I am expecting 95 and/or 395 to be packed.. should I leave 2 hours in advance?"
Yeah I did that exact drive. As stixman said, it isn't a 2 hour drive. I think I left 1.25-1.5 hours earlier, i can't really remember cause it was a while ago haha but i definitely didn't leave 2 hours early!
Yeah I did that exact drive. As stixman said, it isn't a 2 hour drive. I think I left 1.25-1.5 hours earlier, i can't really remember cause it was a while ago haha but i definitely didn't leave 2 hours early!
Last edited:
Anyone know if the adcom met this week? Were there any phonecalls or letters sent out? I interviewed around the 20th or 25th of October and I'm getting kind of nervous since I haven't heard anything yet.
Also, when people are accepted or rejected, does the online status change?
Also, when people are accepted or rejected, does the online status change?
Anyone know if the adcom met this week? Were there any phonecalls or letters sent out? I interviewed around the 20th or 25th of October and I'm getting kind of nervous since I haven't heard anything yet.
Also, when people are accepted or rejected, does the online status change?
Nevermind...I was just got a waitlist letter in the mail. Anyone know how active the wait list usually is?
Could any current students comment on the amount of community involvement U Maryland students have compared to Hopkins students? I heard from a couple of people originally from Baltimore that the Baltimore community is more welcoming to U Maryland students than Hopkins students and I am wondering why that is.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected today!!!!!
Yes, my only state school did not show any love.
Yes, my only state school did not show any love.
Rejected today!!!!!
Yes, my only state school did not show any love.
Sorry to hear that, O=/=O--O. Mind saying if it was snail mailed or emailed?
it was emailed. Took it like a man because I already have two acceptance already!!!!!!!!
Haha glad to hear it! Stuff it hometown state school! <fistbump>
Students here are required to do community service (called service learning as a part of ICM course for first two years). They are all structured and pre selected by the school. There are a lot of varieties, health screening, psych, educational, tutoring, nutrition, hs science olympid, mini med, more public health related stuff, etc. You can choose several and the school will match you
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K