2012-2013 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in Yale School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 500 words.

This section should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any information not previously discussed throughout your Yale Secondary Application.
Please limit your response to 500 words.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'll try to serve as an internal info source as an incoming first year. Good luck to you guys in the 2012-13 cycle! If you're an independent learner and thinker, there is no better place than Yale. :thumbup:

Also, here's a nice video of Yale Med's history.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5dk9v9cUv4[/YOUTUBE]

And the infamous Haven Games video featured during our second look weekend:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KEf9l_DFsg[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Also, here's a nice video of Yale Med's history.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5dk9v9cUv4[/YOUTUBE]

And the infamous Haven Games video featured during our second look weekend:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KEf9l_DFsg[/YOUTUBE]

I was waiting for this year's second look weekend video, i love how relaxed yale med students are.

Finches congrats on your acceptance :thumb up:

can you please tell us more about your experience with the interview, etc.. and also the avg gpa and mcat scores, and what is the minimum gpa yale has accepted as far as you know? :D

I'll be applying next year and will be taking the mcat this august :xf:

Good luck everyone applying here :luck:

They don't have the admissions statistics for the 2012 entering class finalized yet (will put it up here once I find out), and I don't know the lowest GPA historically accepted.

For the 2011 entering class (YSM c/o 2015):

Average cGPA: 3.78
Average sGPA: 3.77

Average VR: 11.00
Average PS: 12.36
Average BS: 12.60
Median Writing: R

Roughly, a 3.8 GPA and 36R.

My Yale interview was amazing, and probably the best and most relaxed of all the interviews I attended. You'll be interviewed by two members of the admissions committee, either one student and one faculty, or two faculty members. Each interview is typically 45 minutes to an hour long, and both of mine were a hair over an hour. The interviews are nestled in the half day long session that includes tours, financial aid talks, and meeting faculty. You can choose a morning session (7:45AM - 2:30PM) or an afternoon session (10:45AM - 5:30PM) for your interview day.

Yale purposefully makes the interview very low-key, and tries to make it so that you leave feeling uplifted. Most people report back very positively (if you look in the 2011-12 thread, a few mention that Yale was their best interview). Consequently, it's difficult to tell where you stand post-interview, since having "the best interview ever" is very common. This is not to say that having a not-so-stellar interview spells your doom, because some students that I met at revisit had painfully awkward interview moments to share.

They don't have the admissions statistics for the 2012 entering class finalized yet (will put it up here once I find out), and I don't know the lowest GPA historically accepted.

My Yale interview was amazing, and probably the best and most relaxed of all the interviews I attended. You'll be interviewed by two members of the admissions committee, either one student and one faculty, or two faculty members. Each interview is typically 45 minutes to an hour long, and both of mine were a hair over an hour. The interviews are nestled in the half day long session that includes tours, financial aid talks, and meeting faculty. You can choose a morning session (7:45AM - 2:30PM) or an afternoon session (10:45AM - 5:30PM) for your interview day.

Yale purposefully makes the interview very low-key, and tries to make it so that you leave feeling uplifted. Most people report back very positively (if you look in the 2011-12 thread, a few mention that Yale was their best interview). Consequently, it's difficult to tell where you stand post-interview, since having "the best interview ever" is very common. This is not to say that having a not-so-stellar interview spells your doom, because some students that I met at revisit had painfully awkward interview moments to share.

Yeah, I am among these accepted students. I "bombed" my 2nd interview but somehow I still got accepted.

Thank you finches for your input. That was really helpful :thumbup:

Yeah, I am among these accepted students. I "bombed" my 2nd interview but somehow I still got accepted.

GS Mikami Congrats on your acceptance, are you matriculating? i noticed you're an international student, can you tell us about your experience with that as well?? specially with yale? regarding financial aid too. and if you want, can you share your experience with the interview as well? :D Thank you

Can anyone comment about the perceived "Not a good school if you aren't independent" statements that have been thrown around? It makes it seem like Yale is unstructured or something. Does anyone care to comment? Thanks a lot.

Can anyone comment about the perceived "Not a good school if you aren't independent" statements that have been thrown around? It makes it seem like Yale is unstructured or something. Does anyone care to comment? Thanks a lot.

Rather than "independent", I'd say that Yale isn't the best place if you're "not focused", or "bad at planning ahead" (which are, by the way, pretty important skills for a physician!). The idea of Yale being an unstructured school tends to be exaggerated, mostly by students who've never been (as is the case with most rumors).

The curriculum is very structured; and from what I've learned so far during my interview and second look, Yale makes it very clear what it expects from you. There are regular exams given out at appropriate intervals like all other medical schools: the difference is that they are anonymous and optional. In other words, Yale doesn't ask you to prove to anyone but yourself that you know the things that you should know. Interestingly but not surprisingly, many first years opt to write the exams, and take them very seriously (to prep for boards). There are also required qualifying exams at the end of each course which are recorded (albeit allowing students to remain anonymous). From the website:

The fundamental element of the system is the concept that medical students are mature individuals, strongly motivated to learn, requiring guidance and stimulation rather than compulsion or competition. The corollary of this concept is that students must assume more than usual responsibility for their education. Students should be considered adults in a graduate school and be permitted to enjoy as large a degree of freedom as is consistent with the fulfillment of requirements for the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Memorization of facts should be far less important than a well-rounded education in fundamental principles, training in methods of investigation, and the acquisition of the scientific habit of mind.
Thus, attendance is not taken, and much basic science instruction occurs in small-group seminars or conferences. Students evaluate themselves through optional, anonymous examinations. Their performance is assessed by the faculty through participation in seminars, by an anonymous (but coded) qualifying examination at the end of each course, by performance on clinical clerkships, and by passing the United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE).

IMO, this allows for a much personalized education: my host at revisit weekend told me that many of his classmates used the Yale system to their advantage, by incorporating USMLE prep into their first year study schedules.

GS Mikami Congrats on your acceptance, are you matriculating? i noticed you're an international student, can you tell us about your experience with that as well?? specially with yale? regarding financial aid too. and if you want, can you share your experience with the interview as well? :D Thank you

Yes, I'm matriculating.

Yale is a cool place to be if you're an international student. Around 20-25 students in each incoming class are international. They don't care about your status as long as you meet their requirements (pre-reqs, MCAT, etc). I remember that Mr. Silverman, the Dean of Admissions, told me during my interview day that Yale is looking for the most qualified people in the world to fill their incoming class each year. As long as you're one of these "qualified" individuals, they don't care where you're from.

Finacial Aid is awesome at Yale if your family doesn't make a lot of money. Everyone qualifies for it, including international students. PM if you want to know what my financial aid award is and how I qualified for it.

Continuing my predilection for videos, a history of the Yale System:

"...to be not limited to the four or five years of medical school, but to form the basis of a lifetime of medicine...a way of saying to students, 'You're here at the medical school, you want to become physicians, you have to learn how to be a physician.'"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt-SOIkQWUo[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a rising sophomore interested in applying to Yale Med, could you tell me what they look for and what your stats looked like?

I'll probably be applying here although it's a SUPER reach.

Hi! I'm a rising sophomore interested in applying to Yale Med, could you tell me what they look for and what your stats looked like?

MDapplicants would be the best source to see the stats of admitted applicants. As noted above, the average is around a 3.8 GPA and a 36R MCAT.

One unique aspect about Yale is the Yale System, so the school is definitely on the lookout for students who are self-motivated and inherently curious. Other traits that are helpful for success in such a free environment, like good time management skills and independence, are probably also sought after.

You still have about 2 years, so focus on maintaining good grades and stay involved.

Hey Everyone!

I have been a lurker for a while, but this is my first official post!

I have a question about Yale...they seem to be giving two different versions of their LOR requirements.

First they state, "A Premedical Committee letter is recommended for all MD and MD/PhD candidates. If your school does not have a Premedical Committee, you may submit at least three individual letters of recommendation."

However, in the FAQ section they state, "Yale requires a minimum of three letters, and the Supplemental Application has space for listing five. Note: If you are using a committee packet, that counts as one letter."

Unless I am reading this incorrectly, it seems as though they say the Committee letter is sufficient, but later that an additional two are needed.

The MSAR states that the minimum is one letter. I have tried searching, but haven't found a specific answer. I am concerned because I currently only have a committee letter and one from my PI. Does anyone have any insight, or should I give Yale admissions a call?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone else applying! :)

Hey Everyone!

I have been a lurker for a while, but this is my first official post!

I have a question about Yale...they seem to be giving two different versions of their LOR requirements.

First they state, "A Premedical Committee letter is recommended for all MD and MD/PhD candidates. If your school does not have a Premedical Committee, you may submit at least three individual letters of recommendation."

However, in the FAQ section they state, "Yale requires a minimum of three letters, and the Supplemental Application has space for listing five. Note: If you are using a committee packet, that counts as one letter."

Unless I am reading this incorrectly, it seems as though they say the Committee letter is sufficient, but later that an additional two are needed.

The MSAR states that the minimum is one letter. I have tried searching, but haven't found a specific answer. I am concerned because I currently only have a committee letter and one from my PI. Does anyone have any insight, or should I give Yale admissions a call?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone else applying! :)

You're right, that is very confusing. However, I think they mean that when you indicate your committee packet, write it only as one entry rather than breaking it apart into your actual committee statement letter as well as the other supporting letters--you probably wouldn't know which letters your advisor included anyway. That's just what I believe it means, though.

I contacted Yale regarding the letters of rec, and they clarified that a committee letter will satisfy their letter requirements. Part of their website was not updated when swtiching to the new application, so that is where the two versions of info came from. Hope this helps! :)

Got my secondary today. I'm confused. They ask us to:

From the "Experience" section in your AMCAS application, please choose your most significant activities, achievements and distinctions and list them in order of importance.

When creating this listing, please use actual or projected dates. Do not say "present" or "current," as these terms are often misleading at the time your application is being read. Your list can be in the form of bullet point items or short sentences, as illustrated below.

Example List:
Molecular Biology thesis research, 2010-2012
Varsity Crew, 2009-2012 (Captain, 2011-2012)
2nd Author, paper published in Cell Biology
Nursing Home Volunteer, 2008-2011
Shadowing Neurosurgeon, summer 2012
Teaching Assistant, freshman biology, 2011-2012
Camp Counselor, summers 2006-2009
Sales Assistant, Banana Republic, summer 2010

Are we supposed to copy and paste our AMCAS stuff and just re-list them in order??

Also, the optional essay:

This section should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any information not previously discussed thoughout your Yale Secondary Application.

Please limit your response to 500 words.

Is this a place to talk about disadvantages, weaknesses in your app or is it an opportunity to write something kick-ass?

Are the above questions the only two questions on the secondary application? Is there not a "Why Yale Med?" essay this year? Thank you!

Are we supposed to copy and paste our AMCAS stuff and just re-list them in order??

Also, the optional essay:

Is this a place to talk about disadvantages, weaknesses in your app or is it an opportunity to write something kick-ass?

I have the same questions! anyone?

Yes, I'm matriculating.

Yale is a cool place to be if you're an international student. Around 20-25 students in each incoming class are international. They don't care about your status as long as you meet their requirements (pre-reqs, MCAT, etc). I remember that Mr. Silverman, the Dean of Admissions, told me during my interview day that Yale is looking for the most qualified people in the world to fill their incoming class each year. As long as you're one of these "qualified" individuals, they don't care where you're from.

Wait, Mikami, you mean 1/4 of the Yale Med School class is international? That's quite a high rate! :D

submitted amcas june 5, and was verified fairly early... i've been getting secondaries from other schools, but nothing from yale yet. don't think i deleted it from my spam. anyone else in the same boat?

submitted amcas june 5, and was verified fairly early... i've been getting secondaries from other schools, but nothing from yale yet. don't think i deleted it from my spam. anyone else in the same boat?

Not verified yet and I got this secondary.

I think it's pretty random since I'm sure they are sorting through tons of applications right now. You'll get one, don't worry.

I just figured it was automated and everyone would get it at the same time? Is there a link that you can share so I can get access or should I just wait... What if I deleted it!

I just figured it was automated and everyone would get it at the same time? Is there a link that you can share so I can get access or should I just wait... What if I deleted it!

Link is useless without the ID and password they include in the email.

Just wait a few days and if you still haven't gotten it, call them and ask about it. I'd assume they more or less have to do something on their end before it goes out.

Wait, Mikami, you mean 1/4 of the Yale Med School class is international? That's quite a high rate! :D

Yep. Its quite high. Lots of people from all over the world.

Its the place to write something you haven't mentioned anywhere else in your application that you consider relevant for your interviewers and ADCOMS to know.

I wrote about my childhood and what I had to overcome. So, yeah, you could say I wrote a disadvantaged essay.

Random anecdote from last year:

I submitted Yale's secondary application the same night I got it. I read the Yale's 100 Facts PDF a few days before I got the secondary so I already had an idea to answer the "Why Yale" question. I had one of my friends read the essay before I submitted it, so I thought it was free of typos.

Well, I had some horrible grammar mistakes all over the essay. Don't know how my friend missed them as he is an English major. The essay was readable but it looked quite bad in retrospect lol.

To my surprise, I got an early interview invitation. It came on the first week of August and I ended up interviewing on late August. The same weekend that hurricane was supposed to hit NYC.

Morale of the story: If you submit your secondary essay early, you're probably going to get an early interview (if you qualify for it, of course).

However, there is no rush to submit it early. Yale is a non-rolling school. Interviewing early doesn't give you an advantage. It's better to take your time and proofread that essay than to shake your head for the next 9 months like I had to do lol

so i submitted my secondary 2 days ago but the status says they didn't receive my LORs from AMCAS yet. all the other schools received the same ltters. should I be concerned?

so i submitted my secondary 2 days ago but the status says they didn't receive my LORs from AMCAS yet. all the other schools received the same ltters. should I be concerned?
Don't worry, last year I remember lots of people complaining about the same thing--they just take a while to match them up to your file and list them as received. I think they still do it by hand. Give it a few weeks before you call them.

Don't worry, last year I remember lots of people complaining about the same thing--they just take a while to match them up to your file and list them as received. I think they still do it by hand. Give it a few weeks before you call them.

thanks. it's going to be a loooong year if i'm being this neurotic already :laugh:

thanks. it's going to be a loooong year if i'm being this neurotic already :laugh:
We're all in the same boat! I'm a reapplicant, and last year waiting was dreadful. I don't know why I'm putting myself through it all again!

ah thanks so much! i definitely would not have found it without that warning haha

hahaha - yes - I heard that could happen! I rearranged my mailboxes in gmail so that my spam and junk folders are in clear view - I feel like I'm watching them more carefully than my inbox.

I'm into the 5th year option, and particularly I am looking at the advanced professional MPH degree (which is done between 3rd & 4th year). Is anyone else here looking at MD/MPH?

I am a little confused on applying, though. The MD and MPH applications are separate. One part of the site says that students are encouraged to apply simultaneously, but another part of the site says "Candidates for the MD/MPH Program must be currently enrolled in the Yale School of Medicine." Anyone know if I can at least wait around to see if I got into the MD program? I still need to clarify which MPH track I am most interested in, anyway.

I also wanted to echo the secondary question someone else posted. In the Activities/Achievements section, can we add anything that didn't really fit into the 15 slots on AMCAS? Or recognitions at activities that didn't fit into the descriptions? Or is this section really just a place to rank the activities you didn't designate as "most meaningful?"

Supplementary question: does anyone known what sort of "documents" they are looking for? I'm a little confused on whether it is for supplementary reference letters or something else?

Supplementary question: does anyone known what sort of "documents" they are looking for? I'm a little confused on whether it is for supplementary reference letters or something else?

I think I might include the publications on which I was an author. If I can also scrounge up some of the abstracts that I'm on I might include them as well. And may attach a CV at the end just listing all of the "in process" manuscripts, etc. so they are aware of those.

I think I might include the publications on which I was an author. If I can also scrounge up some of the abstracts that I'm on I might include them as well. And may attach a CV at the end just listing all of the "in process" manuscripts, etc. so they are aware of those.

I think it might mainly be for updates. The CV might not be worth it because the AMCAS/secondary is your CV plus so much more.

I think it might mainly be for updates. The CV might not be worth it because the AMCAS/secondary is your CV plus so much more.

that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only one.

Anyway, the more I look into Yale the more attached I am becoming with the program....probably not a great idea this early into the application cycle, but I would LOVE to go here.

Status
Not open for further replies.