2013-2014 New York University (NYU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Totally using the tertiary app to discuss my plans to change the world one rack at a time through combined MD-Plastic Surgery residency.

:laugh: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how we fill out the pre-req history if we will be taking a course in the future? i.e. I will be taking an English class next session which will fulfill my 1 year requirement. How do I indicate this? What do I put in the "Grade" Box? (There are only 4 character spaces)

Is the 2500 characters limit for all three essays together or each essay?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we use acronyms in these essays? Should we write a full acronym, or what?

NYU vs NYUSOM vs NYU School of Medicine

Is the 2500 characters limit for all three essays together or each essay?

Thanks

Each Essay.

catzzz88 said:
Can we use acronyms in these essays? Should we write a full acronym, or what?

NYU vs NYUSOM vs NYU School of Medicine

I just used NYU to save on the characters. They know what I'm talking about.

I have a question as well, does anyone know about the 3 year program? When i wrote my primary application, I didn't feel very good about committing or discussing a specific career plan, but now I'd like to shoot for a surg residency. I have pretty good stats (3.8/39) and lots of extracurriculars. I've shadowed a plastic surgeon for quite some time (how much is considered competitive?). My question though is, do they read my secondary application and then my tertiary application? I don't want the adcom to see my indecision in my secondary and then a dedication to a specific field in the tertiary.

If I apply to the tertiary program, will I still be considered for the standard 4 year MD track? Like is it two separate application processes?

Got verified 7/25. Haven't received NYU's secondary but I've gotten about 2/3 of my other ones.

Hey, I was wondering what kind of community outreach opportunities are available to medical students at NYU?

Each Essay.

I just used NYU to save on the characters. They know what I'm talking about.

I have a question as well, does anyone know about the 3 year program? When i wrote my primary application, I didn't feel very good about committing or discussing a specific career plan, but now I'd like to shoot for a surg residency. I have pretty good stats (3.8/39) and lots of extracurriculars. I've shadowed a plastic surgeon for quite some time (how much is considered competitive?). My question though is, do they read my secondary application and then my tertiary application? I don't want the adcom to see my indecision in my secondary and then a dedication to a specific field in the tertiary.
I'd assume that they read both applications together and would notice it. Either way, I wouldn't go after the three year program if you decided very recently that you may want to go into surgery. It's a rather large decision to make and if you haven't spent time in other clinical settings then it may be hard to know exactly what you're most interested in. Also, from what I've heard about the interviews with residency directors for this program, you need to know your stuff and convince them and the adcom that you know exactly what you want and exactly why you want it. Just my two cents though.

If I apply to the tertiary program, will I still be considered for the standard 4 year MD track? Like is it two separate application processes?

Reporting this for an answer please.

Reporting this for an answer please.

See here (last paragraph): click here
In order to apply to the three-year pathway, you must first be accepted into the four-year MD program

Looking around the website, it looks like you are notified of acceptance in January and then can turn in your 3 year application until Feb 28. They have second interviews through April for the 3 year program and then make selections in May. See here: Application FAQ

Members don't see this ad :)
See here (last paragraph): click here

Looking around the website, it looks like you are notified of acceptance in January and then can turn in your 3 year application until Feb 28. They have second interviews through April for the 3 year program and then make selections in May. See here: Application FAQ

I see, thank you very much. So right now all I have to submit is the standard secondary and then if I hopefully get accepted in Jan I can start worrying about the 3 year program.

Could any NYU folks clarify how comfortable/awful/cheap/expensive the housing situation is? Especially if you were from a suburban area previously?

Do we get a "complete" email when all our materials have been received? Or is the "complete" green button on the status page our only indication?

Anyone hear back yet (i.e. any idea where they are in the queue?)

Did anyone notice if there was a place to put that a parent went there? I submitted already and just realized I skipped over that if it was there.

Did anyone notice if there was a place to put that a parent went there? I submitted already and just realized I skipped over that if it was there.

I don't recall there being one for NYU, although I have done quite a few secondaries, so I may remember it wrong. Pretty sure there wasn't one.

I don't recall there being one for NYU, although I have done quite a few secondaries, so I may remember it wrong. Pretty sure there wasn't one.
You're right, there is no dedicated place to state that any of your relatives went there.

Could any NYU folks clarify how comfortable/awful/cheap/expensive the housing situation is? Especially if you were from a suburban area previously?

The med school dorm is not worth the rent (at least the last time I was there), but regardless you can get an apartment for around the same price. But yes, it will be very expensive. $1000-$2000 in that area if you have a roommate, more if youre getting a studio.

The med school dorm is not worth the rent (at least the last time I was there), but regardless you can get an apartment for around the same price. But yes, it will be very expensive. $1000-$2000 in that area if you have a roommate, more if youre getting a studio.

I know someone with a decent sized studio in Murray Hill @ $1400/mo.

In the FAQ page of the secondary application, this is the response to whether AP credit can be used to fulfill a required course:

"Yes, as long as it appears as AP credit on your undergraduate transcript. On the secondary application, enter AP in the grade box. Please note: We do not accept exempt credit for any required course."

Does anyone know what is meant by "We do not accept exempt credit for any required course."?

Does this mean that I am unable to use an AP course to fulfill one semester of the English course requirement? I was exempted from having to take one course in English at my undergraduate college because of an AP course I took in HS, but was not granted any college credit. The AP course is listed on my college transcript.

In the FAQ page of the secondary application, this is the response to whether AP credit can be used to fulfill a required course:

"Yes, as long as it appears as AP credit on your undergraduate transcript. On the secondary application, enter AP in the grade box. Please note: We do not accept exempt credit for any required course."

Does anyone know what is meant by "We do not accept exempt credit for any required course."?

Does this mean that I am unable to use an AP course to fulfill one semester of the English course requirement? I was exempted from having to take one course in English at my undergraduate college because of an AP course I took in HS, but was not granted any college credit. The AP course is listed on my college transcript.

I believe your interpretation is correct. On my transcript, there is an explicit entry for AP "credit" for each exam along with a description of the exact course(s) at my college that are being credited. This appears to be what NYU requires.

Hey guys, is the 2500 character count with or without space? Thanks!

My status was changed to complete yesterday, but my LORs aren't in yet. Did this happen to anyone else?

Is it possible that I might be able to get an interview invite before my LORs come?

My status was changed to complete yesterday, but my LORs aren't in yet. Did this happen to anyone else?

Is it possible that I might be able to get an interview invite before my LORs come?

None of your LORs in or just not all of them? If whatever you have in so far satisfies their minimum requirements, then its possible and interview invite could be extended your way. However, you need LORs to complete the secondary file at most schools, so I'd say no until the minimum requirements are met at the very least.

anyone think it's a bit late to be applying to this school? i'm considering it

None of your LORs in or just not all of them? If whatever you have in so far satisfies their minimum requirements, then its possible and interview invite could be extended your way. However, you need LORs to complete the secondary file at most schools, so I'd say no until the minimum requirements are met at the very least.

None of them. Ok that's what I thought. I won't read too much into this complete status. Thanks.

Did anyone receive a "complete email"? Or does it just show as a check mark on the status page?

Also, when do you guys think the first II's will be given out?

Did anyone receive a "complete email"? Or does it just show as a check mark on the status page?

Also, when do you guys think the first II's will be given out?

Last year was August 20. I suppose they could come out this week, but if I had to put money on it, I'd probably say the week after.

i just got hte secondary and it says to not copy paste essays? did you guys really re-type all of your essays?

i just got hte secondary and it says to not copy paste essays? did you guys really re-type all of your essays?

Pssh hell no. When I pasted, some of my hyphens showed up as question marks, but that was the only weird thing.

When are you interviews scheduled for? I am thinking about sending an "in the area" email to NYU.

i have a question with the prereq section. if you've taken a class with a combined lab did you just put it as 1 class and check the lab button? i thought the lab button is for if it's lab only, but not sure what to do in that case

for people sending in the area emails--who are you sending them to?

So I'm confused....have people been getting interview invites for the MD program? This is my dream school and I haven't heard anything yet :(