2013-2014 New York University (NYU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure if I ever received a complete email, but I submitted the secondary 7/4.

were your LORs in by the time you submitted? i submitted on the same day as you but the portal doesn't say that I was complete until the 15th (when my LORs arrived)

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Invite this morning! Submitted and Complete on 7-9. Interview dates available were 9/16 through 9/18 and 9/23 - 9/25.

Members don't see this ad :)
I literally LOLed. Can you imagine?

I had to actually look to make sure they weren't a real thing. Some enterprising person will probably start one, charge exorbitant fees, and make a boatload of money on clueless premeds. Say, if this applicant thing falls through and you have a spare $300,000, I say let's do it.

I had to actually look to make sure they weren't a real thing. Some enterprising person will probably start one, charge exorbitant fees, and make a boatload of money on clueless premeds. Say, if this applicant thing falls through and you have a spare $300,000, I say let's do it.

I'm in. Can you front me though? I'm kinda broke after this cycle. I swear, I'll pay you back!

I'm in. Can you front me though? I'm kinda broke after this cycle. I swear, I'll pay you back!

Sorry, broke here too and I have no credit history to get a loan. Shoot, there goes my million dollar idea. Hold on, maybe we can both get accepted to NYU, get loans, use the money from the loans to build the school, and then drop out. We'll just have to bribe some caribbean government officials not to extradite us. Simple.

I'm wondering if you guys put in semester or quarter units for the pre-req? Ty

II today. Scheduled for the 16th. So excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the II Amba!! When were you complete?

Whoohooo! The Amba silence is broken! (or was it broken already? :p I was gone for too long, haha)

Haha I needed at least a weekend break from SDN. I was starting to lose my mind.

AHHH I'll see ya there!!!! Congrats :):):)

Awesome! I had thought you were the 16th but I couldn't remember for sure. I have Vermont on the 17th, so now I can justify attending that interview since I'll already be out east ;)

congrats on the II's guys! That's awesome

I have a quick question- When I look at the home screen of my app next to "Tertiary Application" it says "Not yet submitted." I just left that part of the application blank because I'm not applying for the 3 year pathway, but it's still a page on my app. The home page says that my Application is complete as of 7/8/2013 and my letters received on the same day. I'm a little concerned about the tertiary app "not yet submitted" thing. Does anybody else have this on their app page? Or is there some kind of issue?

Thanks!

congrats on the II's guys! That's awesome

I have a quick question- When I look at the home screen of my app next to "Tertiary Application" it says "Not yet submitted." I just left that part of the application blank because I'm not applying for the 3 year pathway, but it's still a page on my app. The home page says that my Application is complete as of 7/8/2013 and my letters received on the same day. I'm a little concerned about the tertiary app "not yet submitted" thing. Does anybody else have this on their app page? Or is there some kind of issue?

Thanks!

Mine says the same thing - I assumed it was fine because it says my application is complete but i'm just as clueless as you are :(

Can you guys with II's please post your complete date, it would help the rest of us out so much. NYU is one of the places where being complete early is really important, so it's good for us to see how far they've gotten reviewing apps. TY.

Can you guys with II's please post your complete date, it would help the rest of us out so much. NYU is one of the places where being complete early is really important, so it's good for us to see how far they've gotten reviewing apps. TY.

why do you say NYU is one of those places were being complete early is really important? how is it different than any other medical school?

why do you say NYU is one of those places were being complete early is really important? how is it different than any other medical school?

If you look at older NYU threads, very few people get II's after mid August completions... even up to November/December, they are still sending most II's to July completions. Being complete early helps anywhere, but it seems to matter much more here than elsewhere.

If you look at older NYU threads, very few people get II's after mid August completions... even up to November/December, they are still sending most II's to July completions. Being complete early helps anywhere, but it seems to matter much more here than elsewhere.

It might also be a reporting bias, where people who receive IIs later in the cycle are less likely post since it's not shiny super novel news at that point. At least I certainly hope that something like that contributes to the scarcity of reported IIs later in the cycle since I'll be marked complete this week some time :p

II today. Amba/Bauman it seems like we'll be running into each other quite a bit in the upcoming months. Also for those that were asking, I was complete 7/9.

It might also be a reporting bias, where people who receive IIs later in the cycle are less likely post since it's not shiny super novel news at that point. At least I certainly hope that something like that contributes to the scarcity of reported IIs later in the cycle since I'll be marked complete this week some time :p

I'm sure that's a part of it. Wishing you the best though, it'll be nice to have that done, "complete" feeling :p

Sorry if this has been answered on previous threads but is NYU a true pass/fail or do they still have class rank that is reported on residency applications etc. Thanks for the help.

II today. Amba/Bauman it seems like we'll be running into each other quite a bit in the upcoming months. Also for those that were asking, I was complete 7/9.

Yes! Congrats on the II. Did you choose the 16th as well?

Interview Invite yesteday!!!! For some reason they sent it to my alternative email rather than my primary so everyone should check that email!

Deciding to apply here. Huge reach but I love the idea of living in NYC. Mehhh. I hope they interview other than July completions cuz I def wont be complete til prob early sept with how AMCAS is running ha. Grr.

II this morning! So excited. That MMI style will be interesting.

Congrats to everyone with interviews! If you could post when you were complete that would be awesome~

Complete: 7/26/2013
Interview Invite: 8/21/2013

Complete:7/10/2013
Invite:8/21/2013 via email at 9:42am EST
Stats: 38/3.6/3.6
Interviewing on 9/16. Super super excited!!!

While the general rule for all medical schools, even the ones that claim to have "non-rolling" admission, is to submit your application as early as possible, don't panic if you're a little later in the cycle. I submitted my secondary in late-September last year and interviewed in late November. I got in, as did 3 other people I interviewed with that day that ended up matriculating. And one of my other friends here applied later in the cycle as well and also got in. I just don't want anyone to feel like they're going to miss out, because I feel like I got a fair evaluation, even though I was late.

Sorry if this has been answered on previous threads but is NYU a true pass/fail or do they still have class rank that is reported on residency applications etc. Thanks for the help.

NYU is a true pass/fail without an official class rank, at least that I'm aware of. They do rank for the basis of determining AOA, but they also factor in your performance during clerkships in determining that. Specifically, preclinical is a P/F, and clerkships are graded on an Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail system.

Complete: 7/19
Invite: 8/21
Interview: 9/19

MCAT - above their 90th percentile
GPA - about median.

Don't worry if you submit late though. I got my secondary 7/10 and I didn't submit until 8/3 because I wasn't sure if I would be competitive. But still got an interview today.

Complete:7/10/2013
Invite:8/21/2013 via email at 9:42am EST
Stats: 38/3.6/3.6
Interviewing on 9/16. Super super excited!!!

Congrats! Guess I'll be seeing you before Case/CCLCM haha.

Complete: 7/21
Invite: 8/21
Interviewing: 9/23

Stats are on my MDapps.

Bit nervous for MMI format...should be interesting to say the least! Anyone have a good idea how to prep for MMI?