You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Yale University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Is there any way to tell what group you're in? Does the first tier get invited to second look I'd guess?I have read that waitlist movement is actually pretty decent at Yale. However, the waitlist is tiered into 3 groups. It seems from previous years that almost everyone from the first group will get accepted in May with some people from the 2nd group getting in as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was so blown away by another acceptance today that I completely ignored my email for the rest of the day. Randomly checked my email just now and saw that I also got into Yale a few hours ago!!! Completely unexpected. OH THE FEELS! I've been given FAR too many blessings to count and I can hardly explain how. Praise be to GOD!!!
I hope there were many other acceptances today as well!
I hope there were many other acceptances today as well!
Got the email at 3:25 PM (Central)!!!!! 

Is there any way to tell what group you're in? Does the first tier get invited to second look I'd guess?
Yale supposedly sends these emails in May, and last year, the Yale waitlisters would post everyday wondering when those emails would come until one day, people started getting off the waitlist. So basically, the emails saying which tier you were in never came.
I don't think Yale invites any of its waitlisters to second look.
Last edited:
sorry to hear....was that pre-interview or post?
Post-interview.
Ah well.. I am at least grateful for the chance to visit. Such a tease though. Haha
Thanks a lot for the info Nemo, it is much appreciated. I'm in it for the long haul.Yale supposedly send emails in May, and the Yale waitlisters would post everyday wondering when those emails would come until one day, people started getting off the waitlist. So basically, the emails saying which tier you were in never came.
I don't think Yale invites any of its waitlisters to second look.

Was so blown away by another acceptance today that I completely ignored my email for the rest of the day. Randomly checked my email just now and saw that I also got into Yale a few hours ago!!! Completely unexpected. OH THE FEELS! I've been given FAR too many blessings to count and I can hardly explain how. Praise be to GOD!!!
I hope there were many other acceptances today as well!
The dopamine rush inside your brain today must be on a whole different level. Props!
Awesome
Last edited:
Yea, I don't think anyone's been approved to join though: https://www.facebook.com/groups/744061695618728/Still jumping up and down, especially after Harvard rejection. When one door closes, another one opens.
Has anyone created a Facebook group?
Any idea how many applicants are waitlisted? Versus how many are rejected/accepted?Congratulations to all the admits! Please start planning for second look weekend!
And for those on the waitlist, don't despair; there is a pretty substantial waitlist movement that will happen around May.
Congratulations to all the admits! Please start planning for second look weekend!
And for those on the waitlist, don't despair; there is a pretty substantial waitlist movement that will happen around May.
Thank you, that is great to know. Does anyone have any idea of how many people approx. get wait listed and how many people get in from the wait list? Or what is this tier stuff I hear?
I'm a current first year, and off the top of my head I know of at least ten people in our class who got in off the waitlist last year. Those are only the people who I've spoken to directly. Since people don't normally go around announcing this type of thing, I wouldn't be surprised if that number doubled. There were several who got in on May 16. Waitlist movement started to dry up in July, although I heard of a few people in our class getting in that month. I actually never got a tier email, though I heard on SDN I was put in one.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear that mynameistoolong. Your MDApp is pretty amazing.Rejected. There goes my last hope... Time to prepare to reapply...
Was so blown away by another acceptance today that I completely ignored my email for the rest of the day. Randomly checked my email just now and saw that I also got into Yale a few hours ago!!! Completely unexpected. OH THE FEELS! I've been given FAR too many blessings to count and I can hardly explain how. Praise be to GOD!!!
I hope there were many other acceptances today as well!
Yo. Harvard and Yale on the same day. Bro we gotta pour up at second look no lie.
Yo, you can't POSSIBLY understand how amazing that sounds to me right now!Yo. Harvard and Yale on the same day. Bro we gotta pour up at second look no lie.
I was accepted at Yale yesterday as well! It's been my first choice all along, but I'm surprised no information has been sent out about the new curriculum... It's still not on the website. What the heck! My interview was back in October, so does anyone have any updates about this?
Congrats! I wish I can experience that feeling....🙂Yo, you can't POSSIBLY understand how amazing that sounds to me right now!
so for financial aid purposes we don't have a yale ID number yet right? we just leave it blank on the forms that ask for it?
I think you should use your AAMC id. (That is what you use on the registration form)
Yes, May 1 is the deadline for financial aid documents, regardless of acceptance date. This means that even if you're still on the waitlist, you better submit your financial aid app or you won't be getting any should you receive an acceptance after May.Do Waitlistees have a deadline for submitting fin aid materials as well?
Question here...if someone withdraw the acceptance today, would that trigger waitlist movement immediately or they won't take anyone from WL until May?
Yale medical school --- an any medical school, for that matter--- always accepts more than the class size, knowing well that many people are going elsewhere. So 1 decline does not mean an open spot.
Big news here. Just got of the phone with Admissions. Curriculum WILL NOT be changing to 1.5 format for 2014 entering class.
Big news here. Just got of the phone with Admissions. Curriculum WILL NOT be changing to 1.5 format for 2014 entering class.
wow really?
wow really?
Yeah, some new courses will be given in the pre clinical years but thats it. The clinical year will start in May instead of Jan. like was told to us. Everyone will be brought up to speed at Second Look.
Wow, that's disappointing. I feel like we deserve an email/explanation given that they told everyone on their interview something different than the current plan.Yeah, some new courses will be given in the pre clinical years but thats it. The clinical year will start in May instead of Jan. like was told to us. Everyone will be brought up to speed at Second Look.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, that's disappointing. I feel like we deserve an email/explanation given that they told everyone on their interview something different than the current plan.
Yeah, from what I heard in a nutshell, things will stay the same for us. Idk how I feel about it.
Yeah, from what I heard in a nutshell, things will stay the same for us. Idk how I feel about it.
If that is indeed the case, I'd be elated. Things will be a bit bumpy when the new curriculum is first implemented, and I personally think the traditional curriculum works better for the Yale System.
Wow, that's disappointing. I feel like we deserve an email/explanation given that they told everyone on their interview something different than the current plan.
+1. This had been one of the big selling points of this school for me. I'm all for the innovative curricula (less time in the classroom/more time in the clinics), and I think they should have just stuck it out like Cornell is doing.
Wow! anything to do with the new curriculum?Withdrew tonight. Best of luck to those on the waitlist!
Wow! anything to do with the new curriculum?
Not so much, I'd be glad to discuss this in a PM if you'd like 🙂
This may be a very silly question (and I apologize in advance) but for the financial aid application for Yale, do we say that we are doing the 2013-2014 or 2014-2015 application?
2014-2015 (I believe that is the academic year). On their website the financial aid brochure is called 2014-15 Financial Services Brochure (http://medicine.yale.edu/education/finaid/98_177822_1415GradBrochure.pdf).This may be a very silly question (and I apologize in advance) but for the financial aid application for Yale, do we say that we are doing the 2013-2014 or 2014-2015 application?
Thanks!2014-2015 (I believe that is the academic year). On their website the financial aid brochure is called 2014-15 Financial Services Brochure (http://medicine.yale.edu/education/finaid/98_177822_1415GradBrochure.pdf).
Got the email at 3:25 PM (Central)!!!!!
![]()
Stats??? You have an MDApps page with no stats 🙁
Yet, multiple merit scholarships!
Yeah, mine came last week. They mailed it to my permanent address rather than my mailing address though. If you're missing yours, that may be why.did you guys get the acceptance letter in the mail yet that director silverman mentioned??
Anyone have an idea about when we're going to hear back from Fin Aid office? My paper work's been complete since last week.
I remember someone telling me we would hear back sometime before Second Look, can anyone corroborate this?
I remember someone telling me we would hear back sometime before Second Look, can anyone corroborate this?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
99% sure they aren't, sorry. I thought they were letting everyone know by mid-March?Hi everyone,
Congratulations to all the accepted students. My application has been complete since September 2013 and I have not heard a word from the admissions office yet. Does any one know if they are still sending out II?
Anyone have an idea about when we're going to hear back from Fin Aid office? My paper work's been complete since last week.
I remember someone telling me we would hear back sometime before Second Look, can anyone corroborate this?
i've already got mine. a friend of mine hasn't. i think theyre doing them one by one? I submitted my stuff immediately after getting accepted so maybe thats why it came earlier
i've already got mine. a friend of mine hasn't. i think theyre doing them one by one? I submitted my stuff immediately after getting accepted so maybe thats why it came earlier
Cool! Did you get the info through email or snail mail?
Is the waitlist really tiered? If so, when does one know what tier they belong in?
Yes. 3 tiers. Obviously 1st has the best shot at getting in. Not so much 3rd, or 2nd even. I believe you'll find out which one you're in closer to May, so hang tight.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K