-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 New York University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Sort of new to this, but does an "in the area" email basically ask for a decision from the admissions committee cuz you'll be interviewing in that area for another place? Could this also be done through a phone call?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sort of new to this, but does an "in the area" email basically ask for a decision from the admissions committee cuz you'll be interviewing in that area for another place? Could this also be done through a phone call?
Yeah...basically you're asking them to look at your app faster--it's pretty nice of schools to actually do this haha. I'm sure you could call as well but I would imagine that emails are nice because then they can refer back to the email to see the dates you'll be in the area. We've got a list going of which schools are receptive.
Yeah...basically you're asking them to look at your app faster--it's pretty nice of schools to actually do this haha. I'm sure you could call as well but I would imagine that emails are nice because then they can refer back to the email to see the dates you'll be in the area. We've got a list going of which schools are receptive.
Hey thanks for the thorough response! I really appreciate this!!
Sort of new to this, but does an "in the area" email basically ask for a decision from the admissions committee cuz you'll be interviewing in that area for another place? Could this also be done through a phone call?
I think it depends of your wording. I basically said, "hey if you decide to invite me for an interview, I'm here these dates and would appreciate it if I could schedule my interview for while I'm in town!"
Also, I'm getting so so so so excited to visit NYU in a few days!!!! Is anyone interviewing on Monday?
Sweet! I think that as long as it is worded well, the worst thing they could say is no!
I think it depends of your wording. I basically said, "hey if you decide to invite me for an interview, I'm here these dates and would appreciate it if I could schedule my interview for while I'm in town!"
I am!! I'm actually on my plane to New York right now and it has wifi lol. So excited!Also, I'm getting so so so so excited to visit NYU in a few days!!!! Is anyone interviewing on Monday?
NO SUNFLOWER NOOOO. I'm interviewing on Tuesday. I was THIS CLOSE to meeting you in person 🙁Also, I'm getting so so so so excited to visit NYU in a few days!!!! Is anyone interviewing on Monday?
NO SUNFLOWER NOOOO. I'm interviewing on Tuesday. I was THIS CLOSE to meeting you in person 🙁
NOOOOOO!!!!! Change it!!!! I'm actually really disappointed about that aaargh!!! 🙁 🙁 although if we were on the same day, my app might get more directly compared to yours... That wouldn't turn out well for me!
Ugh well now I'm just thoroughly upset. I would have worn a wreath of sunflowers in my hair to celebrate the occasion.NOOOOOO!!!!! Change it!!!! I'm actually really disappointed about that aaargh!!! 🙁 🙁
although if we were on the same day, my app might get more directly compared to yours... That wouldn't turn out well for me.
Ugh well now I'm just thoroughly upset. I would have worn a wreath of sunflowers in my hair to celebrate the occasion.
![]()
Oh my god haha that would have made my entire life so much better!!! Dangit!!! Maybe we will cross paths someday....
Definitely true. You're an application goddess. But here's to hoping that we don't both fail senior year from missing so much school hahaha 👍
Who else got that "fake" interview email
I LOVED MY INTERVIEW HERE. I knew NYU was awesome going in but oh my god. It was beautiful and amazing and wonderful. Everyone seemed really great and ahhhh wow. I'm thoroughly impressed, and I can't wait until December!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait, what happened?Cannot believe they falsely sent out IIs. I was so excited 🙁
Cannot believe they falsely sent out IIs. I was so excited 🙁
Wait what?!
They accidentally sent out II emails to certain people that haven't actually been selected for an interview.
How do you know it was an accident? Did they send a follow up apology email?
Yes they sent a follow up email indicating that it was sent in error.
Oh man..... That's rough. I'm so sorry!
I LOVED MY INTERVIEW HERE. I knew NYU was awesome going in but oh my god. It was beautiful and amazing and wonderful. Everyone seemed really great and ahhhh wow. I'm thoroughly impressed, and I can't wait until December!
NYU sounds great - I'm happy to be visiting there very, very soon!
After doing an MMI, do you agree with NYU's advice that you can't really prepare for that kind of interview? Are there any preparations you wish you could have done or will do before a future MMI interview?
Dang, first they accidentally gave certain applicants a "Rejected Status" on their profiles, and now this? Man, that's really rough.Yes they sent a follow up email indicating that it was sent in error.
Last edited:
NYU sounds great - I'm happy to be visiting there very, very soon!
After doing an MMI, do you agree with NYU's advice that you can't really prepare for that kind of interview? Are there any preparations you wish you could have done or will do before a future MMI interview?
I hope you love it!!! 🙂
Ummm yeah, I think it'd be hard to prepare. I think it's good to have a working knowledge of appropriate medical ethics and be able to concisely organise and communicate your thoughts. But that's all I can think of.
Does everyone who gets an interview get an email from the Office of Diversity Affairs sometime before their actual interview?
Strange. I wonder what group of applicants was sent the error II.
Does everyone who gets an interview get an email from the Office of Diversity Affairs sometime before their actual interview?
Yes, I believe so.
I LOVED MY INTERVIEW HERE. I knew NYU was awesome going in but oh my god. It was beautiful and amazing and wonderful. Everyone seemed really great and ahhhh wow. I'm thoroughly impressed, and I can't wait until December!
Me too!!! This school stole my heart in a day. I cannot believe how great it was. Good luck I'm hoping we hear great news in a few months 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me too!!! This school stole my heart in a day. I cannot believe how great it was. Good luck I'm hoping we hear great news in a few months 🙂
Me too, absolutely. I'm crossing my fingers for us!!!! 🙂
Did you get a formal rejection?09.08.14
The day NYU crushed my heart to bits.
Completely concur with those who interviewed before me: NYU is awesome. Also, I highly recommend staying with a student host if you can -- mine was super helpful, accommodating, and informative. It also helps that their med student housing is essentially a 3 second walk from the admissions building (3 seconds if you're in Greenberg, 15 seconds if you're in Vilcek).
Does anyone know how NYU grades its students? I know that they do pass/fail, but does anyone know if they have stuff like honors vs. regular passing?
Does anyone know how NYU grades its students? I know that they do pass/fail, but does anyone know if they have stuff like honors vs. regular passing?
They give one preclinical honor grade to the student who got the highest score over all 18 months. Other than that, it's P/F.
Congrats!! When were you complete?Real II this morning!
Do you mind sharing stats and complete date? Congrats.Real II this morning!
Interesting. Perhaps the fake IIs went out to people who were ultimately going to be getting one anyway. Congrats!Real II this morning!
Does anyone know how NYU grades its students? I know that they do pass/fail, but does anyone know if they have stuff like honors vs. regular passing?
They give one preclinical honor grade to the student who got the highest score over all 18 months. Other than that, it's P/F.
Unfortunately, I think it's worse than this.
Per this document: http://webdoc.nyumc.org/nyumc/files/studentaffairs/u9/Alpha_Omega_Alpha_Medical_Honor_Society.pdf
"
The preclinical curriculum at the NYU School of Medicine is graded and recorded by the Office
of Registration and Student Records on a pass/fail basis. In order to inform discussion of students
for election to membership in AOA, the Office, at the conclusion of each curricular module, asks
each module director for a list of the students who performed in the top quarter of the class for
that particular unit of study.
Students are assigned a number of weighted "points" that correspond to the number of
times he or she appears in the high-performance group for each module. Those points, divided by
the total number of points possible for any one student to achieve, constitute a "pre-clinical
percentage."
(emphasis mine)
Thus, NYU is seemingly a "fake" P/F school in that it does give honors (of a sort) to the top 25%. In my opinion, this greatly decreases the utility of the p/f grading scheme.
That was what I was afraid of. I'm not sure how I feel about pre-clinical grades.Unfortunately, I think it's worse than this.
Per this document: http://webdoc.nyumc.org/nyumc/files/studentaffairs/u9/Alpha_Omega_Alpha_Medical_Honor_Society.pdf
"
The preclinical curriculum at the NYU School of Medicine is graded and recorded by the Office
of Registration and Student Records on a pass/fail basis. In order to inform discussion of students
for election to membership in AOA, the Office, at the conclusion of each curricular module, asks
each module director for a list of the students who performed in the top quarter of the class for
that particular unit of study.
Students are assigned a number of weighted "points" that correspond to the number of
times he or she appears in the high-performance group for each module. Those points, divided by
the total number of points possible for any one student to achieve, constitute a "pre-clinical
percentage."
(emphasis mine)
Thus, NYU is seemingly a "fake" P/F school in that it does give honors (of a sort) to the top 25%. In my opinion, this greatly decreases the utility of the p/f grading scheme.
EDIT: But it also seems like grades might only be used to determine selection into the AOA.
Last edited:
That was what I was afraid of. I'm not sure how I feel about pre-clinical grades.
EDIT: But it also seems like grades might only be used to determine selection into the AOA.
I agree. And so the question becomes, does AOA membership matter?
What do residency directors think of AOA membership? Are clinical grades still much more important?
Unfortunately, I think it's worse than this.
Per this document: http://webdoc.nyumc.org/nyumc/files/studentaffairs/u9/Alpha_Omega_Alpha_Medical_Honor_Society.pdf
"
The preclinical curriculum at the NYU School of Medicine is graded and recorded by the Office
of Registration and Student Records on a pass/fail basis. In order to inform discussion of students
for election to membership in AOA, the Office, at the conclusion of each curricular module, asks
each module director for a list of the students who performed in the top quarter of the class for
that particular unit of study.
Students are assigned a number of weighted "points" that correspond to the number of
times he or she appears in the high-performance group for each module. Those points, divided by
the total number of points possible for any one student to achieve, constitute a "pre-clinical
percentage."
(emphasis mine)
Thus, NYU is seemingly a "fake" P/F school in that it does give honors (of a sort) to the top 25%. In my opinion, this greatly decreases the utility of the p/f grading scheme.
Hmm, weird. I was directly quoting what the dean told us in her presentation this week. Maybe they've changed it, because she very strongly emphasised that it was entirely P/F other than that one student.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm, weird. I was directly quoting what the dean told us in her presentation this week. Maybe they've changed it, because she very strongly emphasised that it was entirely P/F other than that one student.
I'll make sure to bring up AOA membership when I'm there later this month. It's possible that the document I referenced is out of date.
I'll make sure to bring up AOA membership when I'm there later this month. It's possible that the document I referenced is out of date.
That'd be great!! Please report back what they say!
Did they apologize at all about the initial false interview, or was the email they sent inviting you practically the same?Real II this morning!
Do you mind sharing stats and complete date? Congrats.
Sure, 3.77/38, complete 8/1 (submitted secondary ~7/17, LOR processing delayed completion).
Did they apologize at all about the initial false interview, or was the email they sent inviting you practically the same?
The email they sent this time around was identical. Here's the error email they sent following up the fake II email:
NYU said:You may have received an email earlier today from our office inviting you for an interview. This email was sent in error as your application is still being reviewed by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you if you are selected for an interview. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K