2014-2015 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew. Although NYU was my top choice when this process started, finances helped me make the very difficult decision of going to another school I really liked. Good luck to everyone on the WL!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NYU Admissions just said, via twitter:

"We are sending out more acceptances today. Please be sure to check your email to see if you've been accepted!"

Reactions: 4 users
just a silly speculation :D :D. It looks like that was the time they usually send out decisions

Reactions: 1 user
is it safe to assume that they've already been sent out today?

Though am extremely paranoid because I also got a fake interview invite initially.

Well I just got accepted!!!!

congrats! can you check your nyu portal to see if your acceptance is reflected there? omgggg i really hope they are sending out waves and this isn't all the WL acceptances D:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! can you check your nyu portal to see if your acceptance is reflected there? omgggg i really hope they are sending out waves and this isn't all the WL acceptances D:
Yes! It said accepted. Then when I paid my deposit it said matriculated.

OMG congrats! Just to confirm, you were accepted off the waitlist right?
Yes :) I was waitlisted on that day in February when it seemed like everyone on the thread was. I sent an update letter/LOI (i mostly intended it as a LOI, but I did have some substantial updates) a couple days after.

Other stats people might be interested in: LM ~72, non-trad, from NYC originally, and j was going to matriculate in another (lower-ranked) NYC school prior to getting off WL.

got off the WL this morning!!! first acceptance and couldn't be happier

Reactions: 14 users
Can someone please share the NYUSOM match results? I can't find them.

Surprised we're not seeing more waitlist movement- fingers crossed for next week!

Yea I'm surprised too. I don't want to be pessimistic, but it might just be that they aren't going to rely on the WL much this year.

I'm just hoping that SDN is not a true representation of the people actually getting accepted. But yea, there has been very little movement in comparison to previous years. Also, the Facebook group has a lot of people in it but some people in the group are going to other schools. Just have to stay positive! :)

i just withdrew my WL acceptance from NYU. i really loved the school, but another school just edged it out by a small margin. best of luck to those on the WL :)

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted today off WL. Hoping that financial aid will come through since it'd be tough to pay full COA at NYU over my scholarship at a comparable school (albeit in a less exciting city).

:)

Reactions: 8 users
Did anyone accepted off the waitlist send a letter of intent?

Out of curiosity, how did gyngyn know that? I thought he/she was faculty at a California school...

I believe that waitlisted applicants at Gyngyns school also tend to apply to schools in the NY area. Since gyngyn can see if a waitlisted applicant at his/her school is accepted to a different particular school (in this case NYU), he/she can infer waitlist movement

Is it about time to give up on the WL movement? Seems like the waitlist is barely moving this year.

Didn't apply here but I just wanted to let those of you still waiting know that a friend of mine was accepted off the waitlist this morning, so movement is still happening.

Reactions: 2 users
Shoutout to my faded purple NYU langone drawstring bag for helping me ferry beer to a dozen events since interview day, standing in for a man purse. How uncool will I be to continue that role come August in New York???

Reactions: 4 users
Super super basic question. Are NYU's preclinical years pass/fail or graded? And if P/F, is is true P/F or is there any sort of internal ranking?

In addition, can someone who went to the second look day message me privately? I had a few questions because I was not able to attend - thanks so much!

Super super basic question. Are NYU's preclinical years pass/fail or graded? And if P/F, is is true P/F or is there any sort of internal ranking?

NYU is unfortunately not a "true" P/F pre-clinical curriculum.
To quote http://webdoc.nyumc.org/nyumc/files/studentaffairs/u9/Alpha_Omega_Alpha_Medical_Honor_Society.pdf

The preclinical curriculum at the NYU School of Medicine is graded and recorded by the Office of Registration and Student Records on a pass/fail basis. In order to inform discussion of students for election to membership in AOA, the Office, at the conclusion of each curricular module, asks each module director for a list of the students who performed in the top quarter of the class for that particular unit of study. Students are assigned a number of weighted "points" that correspond to the number of times he or she appears in the high-performance group for each module. Those points, divided by the total number of points possible for any one student to achieve, constitute a "pre-clinical percentage."​