2014-2015 Ponce School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I'm OOS and I've been complete since September. I know Ponce last year got ~850 OOS applications and only interviewed 15-16 so it's very, very competitive for OOS but I think I made a fatal mistake in my application. San Juan Bautista requires a community service letter of recommendation which I requested early on in the cycle, but when I talked with my volunteer supervisor, who is Peruvian, I forgot that I only told him to address it to SJB, and in the letterhead it's addressed to the admissions committee of SJB; I made this letter available to Ponce in addition to SJB. So, although I'm not 100% sure, I'm fairly certain Ponce will see this volunteer letter addressed to SJB via AMCAS. Does anyone know how bad this is? As soon as I realized what I had done I gave up all hope, but I'm wondering if maybe this is forgivable. Should I send an email apologizing? Or should I just let it be? I'm not sure what my best course of action is.

As far as I know, they call you for interview after initial review of mcat and gpa only. After interview, the commitee reunites and read your file including letters of recomendations In your case, I would just give a call to Ponce on monday and talk to the admission office to try and remove that letter if possible from the file. Hope it helps you.


Edit: Just wondered that if you remove this letter from the file... then wouldn't you be incomplete? You could ask your volunteer supervisor to make that letter again adressed to Ponce and send it by mail. You could ask in admission office what they think about that...
 
De casualidad te pusieron situaciones hipotéticas para resolver o cosas similares?

No, solo hablar sobre mis cosas. Hablar de min solamente. Mi entrevista fue bien corta, no preguntaron mucho. Hablaba de mi y entre medio hacian preguntas sobre ellas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As far as I know, they call you for interview after initial review of mcat and gpa only. After interview, the commitee reunites and read your file including letters of recomendations In your case, I would just give a call to Ponce on monday and talk to the admission office to try and remove that letter if possible from the file. Hope it helps you.


Edit: Just wondered that if you remove this letter from the file... then wouldn't you be incomplete? You could ask your volunteer supervisor to make that letter again adressed to Ponce and send it by mail. You could ask in admission office what they think about that...

@luissepu5 Ponce does not require a community service leader recommendation, it is only SJB. So no, my application was already complete before it was added (I added it for Ponce without thinking a few months after I added it the first time for SJB). How sure are you about those interview criteria? I think it must be different for OOS students because they interview ~2% of OOS applicants but accept all of them (usually). Those numbers would suggest to me that for OOS applicants, the decision to interview or not is much, much more thorough.
 
@luissepu5 Ponce does not require a community service leader recommendation, it is only SJB. So no, my application was already complete before it was added (I added it for Ponce without thinking a few months after I added it the first time for SJB). How sure are you about those interview criteria? I think it must be different for OOS students because they interview ~2% of OOS applicants but accept all of them (usually). Those numbers would suggest to me that for OOS applicants, the decision to interview or not is much, much more thorough.

I am not 100% sure but on my interview day the interviewers told us that the commitee reunited and read the letters there so I assume that they only call by gpa and mcat. Just try and call to remove that letter if it's haunting you. You don't have anything to lose by just asking 😉
 
Hey everyone! I just received an II this afternoon. I am OOS and I was complete 9/20/14. I am so excited! The school has such a great reputation and a lot of history. Does anyone know where I might find any recent board passing statistics or a recent residency match list? I can't seem to find one anywhere and I'd really like to know where Ponce places its graduates. Thanks!

(My stats just in case anyone wants to know: MCAT #1 25 (9 PS/9 VR/7 BS), #2 30 (10 PS/9 VR/11 BS), cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.6)
 
Does anyone have the MSAR breakdown of interviewed and matriculated for Ponce? I would really appreciate it, thanks!
 
Hey everyone! I just received an II this afternoon. I am OOS and I was complete 9/20/14. I am so excited! The school has such a great reputation and a lot of history. Does anyone know where I might find any recent board passing statistics or a recent residency match list? I can't seem to find one anywhere and I'd really like to know where Ponce places its graduates. Thanks!

(My stats just in case anyone wants to know: MCAT #1 25 (9 PS/9 VR/7 BS), #2 30 (10 PS/9 VR/11 BS), cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.6)

When I interviewed they told us the Passing rate was 94-96%, the interviewer was not sure.
Also you should know the school has been sold and the new owners are changing the system. But from what they told us, it is going to be amazing. Apparently the new owners are the St.Kitts med school owners.
 
Does anyone have the MSAR breakdown of interviewed and matriculated for Ponce? I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Matriculation data for 2013:

In-State:
Applicants: 453
Interviews: 224
Matriculated: 54
Interview Rate: 49.4%
Matriculation Rates: 11.9% total applicants, 24.1% interviewed applicants

Out-of-State:
Applicants: 835
Interviews: 16
Matriculated: 15
Interview Rate: 1.9%
Matriculation Rates: 1.8% total applicants, 93.8% interviewed applicants

Total:
Applicants: 1288
Interviews: 240
Matriculated: 69
Interview Rate: 18.6%
Matriculation Rates: 5.4% total applicants, 28.8% interviewed applicants
 
@maxilofacial Saludos! Este es el match del 2014, si recuerdo bien, o 2013. Recuerdo haber visto en su pagina web vieja una tabla que podias ver todos los match desde el 2003 creo...

.
11063120_10153137903554731_2103073316_n.jpg
 
Hey guys! I was recently accepted into Ponce for Fall 2015. I am currently looking into apartments walking distance from PSM, and need a housemate (preferrably female). Please message me if interested. Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone gotten an acceptance letter or e-mail this week? I heard the committee met this past Wednesday night.
 
Hi guys!
Of those who have received letters of acceptance, who's sure that they will attend Ponce?
Currently between Ponce and UCC, and don't know what to do 🙁
 
I interviewed 3/20 (OOS) and got an email 6 days ago asking me if I was still interested which I thought was pretty bizarre. Nothing since then, though.

Notified of my acceptance by email on 4/30 and they said letters were sent out in the mail that day.
 
OOS here - I have a lot of questions regarding the move, finding a place to live, facebook group, etc. Do we have anything set up yet outside of this forum? Or is SDN the only place we can communicate? Have ya'll found the spreadsheet of potential places useful? Trying to gauge if I need to make the trip down before class starts. Any 1st or 2nd years out there that has some time to chat with me? Thanks again -
 
OOS here - I have a lot of questions regarding the move, finding a place to live, facebook group, etc. Do we have anything set up yet outside of this forum? Or is SDN the only place we can communicate? Have ya'll found the spreadsheet of potential places useful? Trying to gauge if I need to make the trip down before class starts. Any 1st or 2nd years out there that has some time to chat with me? Thanks again -
It seems that our class doesn't have an official group on fb.

And most of the places in the housing list are no longer available, I suggest you look for apartments in Clasificadosonline.com
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad