2014-2015 Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey @gyngyn , I heard a very interesting news segment on NPR yesterday: http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...l-revamps-requirements-to-lure-english-majors.

It’s curious to me that, in the case of this article, a school like Sinai is (at least in part) throwing traditional standards of admissions to the wind. On multiple occasions I’ve heard that more and more, schools are shifting their focus to a more holistic approach in selecting their applicants with the apparent hope that they will thereby produce more well-rounded doctors who can connect with their patients, etc.

I’m curious as to how this all fits in with the notion that medical school admissions committees are competing for the best applicants. Are the metrics of GPA and MCAT the primary indicators of a good applicant when compared across the board? It seems that showcasing the fact of “our accepted students had X shadowing hours, Y research publications, and Z experiences in volunteering and leadership” really isn’t a metric that you’d go by to compare your school with others. Perhaps I’m wrong though. What standards do you, when comparing with other schools, use to determine a “good applicant”? Or does each school have a different definition of what constitutes a “good applicant” based on that school’s mission, etc.? I suspect that one of an ADCOM's primary goals is to raise it's profile by attracting the best applicants, and it doesn't seem like the intangible, "holistic" characteristics lend themselves to raising a school's profile. Perhaps I am wrong.

Without have much understanding about these things, it’s a bit more difficult for me to form an educated question about the aforementioned article, but I’ll attempt one all the same. What is the relationship between the holistic “we want students who are people” approach and the “we want students who look good on paper”?

I realize that I’ve asked a lot of questions here, and I realize that it's a bit all over the place. Perhaps an ensuing dialogue will refine my understanding and thereby will better inform my questions. Thanks for all of your guidance to us so far, it is very appreciated by a large body of pre-med students dwelling in a realm of uncertainty and apprehension.
We want people whose excess of talent allows generously for the care of others.
Defining those talents and identifying those who possess them in abundance is the whole puzzle.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn , when you say you saw a lot of movement at Ucla yesterday, does that mean around 10 acceptances went out or 20+? Thanks a lot!!!!

@gyngyn , when you say you saw a lot of movement at Ucla yesterday, does that mean around 10 acceptances went out or 20+? Thanks a lot!!!!
More than what I have said would surely cost me some anonymity!

Reactions: 3 users
@gyngyn Do you have much or if any overlap with UVM or VCU? If so, with respect to amount overlap have you seen little or no movement at the schools stated?

Thanks!

@gyngyn Do you have much or if any overlap with UVM or VCU? If so, with respect to amount overlap have you seen little or no movement at the schools stated?

Thanks!
the UVM thread has all the info you need. we called recently and were told the class was full. then someone withdrew and the seat was offered to someone else who posted in that thread

We want people whose excess of talent allows generously for the care of others.
Defining those talents and identifying those who possess them in abundance is the whole puzzle.
Without you giving away any sensitive information/forfeiting anonymity, is your school looking into any novel approaches in the admissions process similar to Mt. Sinai was shown to be doing in the aforementioned article? Surely it's a constantly evolving process; I'm quite curious about what some of the new trends are across the field of medical school admissions outside of the usual metrics. For example, the article I read mentioned that the current model of admissions (ie the required science classes) is largely outdated. I'm sure the new MCAT helps address this, but I'm curious about what else is being looked into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without giving away any sensitive information/forfeiting anonymity, is your school looking into any novel approaches in your admissions process similar to Mt. Sinai was shown to be doing in the aforementioned article? Surely it's a constantly evolving process; I'm quite curious about what some of the new trends are across the field of medical school admissions.
All the CA schools have moved or are moving toward more flexibility with regard to pre-requisite classes. Half have no requirements at this time.
I am aware of no restructuring of the type being employed at Sinai.
If anything, pre-admission programs are on the decline in CA (except at the DO schools).

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, new member to this thread. Boy, this thread has had some very informative stuff!

My story: no acceptances last year, this year I interviewed at the University of Utah and the University of Miami. I was wait listed at Utah on March 15th and Miami on April 8. On May 15th Utah told me that I was no longer being "actively considered."

So, 1 wait list spot is the only thing between me and the prospect of applying for round 3. It's scary, as many of you well know. Hopefully there is a little more movement even this late in the game, though I'm planning for the worst and getting ready for reapplication.
Fingers crossed for you, @Ginred!

@gyngyn given that there has been a lot of movement at ucla this week (per one of your past posts), would you say that chances to receive an acceptance at this point are relatively slim? thanks!

@gyngyn given that there has been a lot of movement at ucla this week (per one of your past posts), would you say that chances to receive an acceptance at this point are relatively slim? thanks!
There are too new many variables to predict the amount of movement this year.
UCLA usually has a lot of waitlist activity but there is a new admissions dean.
Depending on his accuracy in predicting outcomes, it could go either way.

There are too new many variables to predict the amount of movement this year.
UCLA usually has a lot of waitlist activity but there is a new admissions dean.
Depending on his accuracy in predicting outcomes, it could go either way.

thank you so much! do you happen to know the name of the new admissions dean? at our interview, dean hall spoke to us, and I thought he was the dean in past years. I could be wrong though. thank you again!

thank you so much! do you happen to know the name of the new admissions dean? at our interview, dean hall spoke to us, and I thought he was the dean in past years. I could be wrong though. thank you again!
Ted Hall is the new dean.
Neal H. Parker was the old dean.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @gyngyn is there still no movement at Sinai? Do you think this is strange since they usually take about 1/3 of their students off the waitlist? Do you happen to know what might account for the difference this year or is it possible it just hasn't started moving yet? Thanks again for all your help!!

Finally stopped dragging my feet and put some serious work into my application for next cycle. I was dreading it, but I find myself getting more excited than ever about medical school instead of grumpy about having to reapply. Maybe I'll still get in off one of my 7 waitlists, but I am feeling more at peace about reapplying.

Reactions: 14 users
Finally stopped dragging my feet and put some serious work into my application for next cycle. I was dreading it, but I find myself getting more excited than ever about medical school instead of grumpy about having to reapply. Maybe I'll still get in off one of my 7 waitlists, but I am feeling more at peace about reapplying.
I feel you. I'm on 5 WLs, and I don't want to do anything for this new cycle because I just get depressed every time I think about having to reapply. I'm glad to hear that starting the reapplication process was actually a pleasant experience. Maybe that'll motivate me to get started!

Reactions: 8 users
I feel you. I'm on 5 WLs, and I don't want to do anything for this new cycle because I just get depressed every time I think about having to reapply. I'm glad to hear that starting the reapplication process was actually a pleasant experience. Maybe that'll motivate me to get started!
Good luck to @Kay293T and @Limbo123 . My take...while you wait for the wait list, atleast start thinking about the next cycle and ways to improve and make ur application standout. I do sincerely hope that you wouldnt have to go thru the pain again..but better to be prepared.

New to this thread, just wondering has Baylor had any movement at all for in state students? I haven't heard of anyone in state get in get off the wait list? Thanks everyone

If you dont have an acceptance..wow waiting is tough...

Reactions: 12 users
If you dont have an acceptance..wow waiting is tough...
@gcmom415, it is VERY hard. Wishing all the waiting folks get the news they're hoping for SOON. I got a call from WashU this evening. . . unexpected. Sometimes there is a bolt from the blue. I'm a stranger to all of you, but that does not stop me from sending positive energy your way.

Reactions: 20 users
No kidding. I'm willing to scrub my four wait list schools' toilets for an acceptance here : /

Reactions: 6 users
Good luck man, hope it works out, I have heard of people getting in right up to orientation for many schools so there is still a possibility!
Thanks for the well wishing, I'd be fine being one of those last minute miracles if it means I'm in!
All the CA schools have moved or are moving toward more flexibility with regard to pre-requisite classes. Half have no requirements at this time.
I am aware of no restructuring of the type being employed at Sinai.
If anything, pre-admission programs are on the decline in CA (except at the DO schools).
Very interesting. Thanks for the response.
Fingers crossed for you, @Ginred!
Thanks @BengaliBrat ! And congrats on U Dub!!

Maybe all the schools are playing a joke on the waitlisters and will call us on Monday, the day before the we can submit the app for the next cycle

Reactions: 10 users
Maybe all the schools are playing a joke on the waitlisters and will call us on Monday, the day before the we can submit the app for the next cycle
My money would be on Tuesday, once we've submitted our application.

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know about movement at UofA-Tucson? The app thread has been very quiet compared to previous years.

This is my first time posting on this thread. I am on the waitlist at my top choice, but it looks like I am going to have to start preparing for a move to my acceptance. I am greatful, but moving makes me a little nervous. It feels like CA is having no movement at all... :(

Reactions: 2 users