You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Harvard Medical School Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I feel bad for people who interviewed early in their interview cycle and have already been waiting 4 months! Then again, if you're interviewing right away with Harvard, you're probably in a pretty good position haha.This wait is a bit unbearable 🙁 I won't find out from my top choice schools until March.. ahhhh
Last edited:
Yeah, I realize I am lucky to have this problem but wishing I knew so I could get it over it, know where I'll be, and have to stop thinking about this process.I feel bad for people who interviewed early in their interview cycle and have already been waiting 4 months!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed HST and was told to upload it to the portal, both programs will see it!Did you call them about this? The portal says "up to 2 application updates throughout the admissions season."
I see, I kind of figured that's what you meant but wanted to clarify. Thank you!I emailed HST and was told to upload it to the portal, both programs will see it!
I interviewed on the second day of interviews. Can't get worse than that, waiting 6 monthsI feel bad for people who interviewed early in their interview cycle and have already been waiting 4 months! Then again, if you're interviewing right away with Harvard, you're probably in a pretty good position haha.
It can, if you interviewed on the first day 😉 Not that I did, just pointing out the #humblebrag.I interviewed on the second day of interviews. Can't get worse than that, waiting 6 months
It can, if you interviewed on the first day 😉 Not that I did, just pointing out the #humblebrag.
I was thinking the same thing when I read that earlier, but was resisting the urge to comment. SO GLAD you did @carpediem22 , I was about to cave!
🙂
Well playedIt can, if you interviewed on the first day 😉 Not that I did, just pointing out the #humblebrag.
But it's not like interviewing early means anything so not much of a brag to begin with..
Interviewed back in December ... The wait is painful. Can't imagine how you folks are managing who interviewed way back at the beginning of the season! Good luck to all 🙂
It's nice to have a job and other work to worry about! Also not taking SDN so seriously goes a long way in helping the situation 😉Interviewed back in December ... The wait is painful. Can't imagine how you folks are managing who interviewed way back at the beginning of the season! Good luck to all 🙂
Just called the admissions office and boldly asked when IIs will cease and they told me they typically give them out through the month of January. They said that they don't have a specific end date as to when they stop interviewing. They just make sure to have them done before march. I asked if they interview in February and they told me that they have in previous years. With that said, not all hope is lost but odds are still very slim at this point in the game (well I guess odds were very slim at the beginning of the cycle too haha) but don't give up hope!
btw the website says "interviews until Mid-Jan".. so I think it's done.
@ImmunoLovebtw the website says "interviews until Mid-Jan".. so I think it's done.

@ImmunoLove![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
LOL @avgn, always down for some friendly sparring I see! 😛


😛HMS typically does rap things up by the end of January, though they do not have a specific deadline (at least, this has been their policy for years, and is consistent with a previous post reporting from the Office of Admissions). That said, it's HMS-- it's practically over before it begins.

They're missing out on us :/LOL @avgn, always down for some friendly sparring I see! 😛😛
HMS typically does rap things up by the end of January, though they do not have a specific deadline (at least, this has been their policy for years, and is consistent with a previous post reporting from the Office of Admissions). That said, it's HMS-- it's practically over before it begins.![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're missing out on us :/
I like that mentality! Though we both were complete very late (I literally waited to the absolute last minute), and I haven't heard of many (if any) complete at around that time who also got an II. Then again, such is the danger of applying late (I confess, I got in to one of my top schools so no HMS isn't the end of the world). And, it looks like you've already gotten in too. That said, it would be nice to visit!
+1 literally last minute but I heard famous people are procrastinators too and they did fineI like that mentality! Though we both were complete very late (I literally waited to the absolute last minute), and I haven't heard of many (if any) complete at around that time who also got an II. Then again, such is the danger of applying late (I confess, I got in to one of my top schools so no HMS isn't the end of the world). And, it looks like you've already gotten in too. That said, it would be nice to visit!
I like that mentality! Though we both were complete very late (I literally waited to the absolute last minute), and I haven't heard of many (if any) complete at around that time who also got an II. Then again, such is the danger of applying late (I confess, I got in to one of my top schools so no HMS isn't the end of the world). And, it looks like you've already gotten in too. That said, it would be nice to visit!
+1 literally last minute but I heard famous people are procrastinators too and they did fine
Y'all awesome
Article about Harvard selling its naming rights
http://www.statnews.com/2016/01/26/harvard-medical-school-name/
http://www.statnews.com/2016/01/26/harvard-medical-school-name/
“If they named it the Trump School of Medicine, half of the faculty would resign,” Jones said.Article about Harvard selling its naming rights
http://www.statnews.com/2016/01/26/harvard-medical-school-name/

Just realized 2016 is a leap year....
One less day of waiting for early March decisions?Just realized 2016 is a leap year....
One less day of waiting for early March decisions?
One more. February 29th :/
Wow, huge brain fart on that 😕 yikes. I swear I'm not dumb, Harvard!One more. February 29th :/
Just to double check...the only thing mandatory on interview day was morning orientation and the actual interviews, correct? There wasn't even a sign out or anything?
YuhJust to double check...the only thing mandatory on interview day was morning orientation and the actual interviews, correct? There wasn't even a sign out or anything?
Okay. Awesome. Thanks!
I called and they said that they're no longer giving out II
I called and they said that they're no longer giving out II
Attachments
Last edited:
Sickkkkkk!!!I called and they said that they're no longer giving out II
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First day of the Harvard caucuses....
😀First day of the Harvard caucuses....
Is it weird that I kind of don't care in the end? I mean....I really do but at the same time simply getting the interview is such a huge deal. Premed life = validated, thanks HMS
😀
Is it weird that I kind of don't care in the end? I mean....I really do but at the same time simply getting the interview is such a huge deal. Premed life = validated, thanks HMS
I don't think it's weird. I feel this way too.
With all of the people that make this one such a huge deal and say they "will die" or "feel sick to their stomach because this is my dream school" if they are rejected, this is quite the awesome refresher. I feel kinda the same way. Just the interview is awesome. Do I really badly want to get accepted?? Heck yes I do! If I didn't, I wouldn't be the kind of candidate HMS even considers. But, it all comes down to this.... AWESOME if I get in; if not, life will go on. I have to say that many students would be happy to have the acceptances that I have thankfully been given, so who am I to act so pretentious and cry about not getting into Harvard? Be thankful for what success you've got and celebrate the extra should it come your way; if anything, the interview invite is extra in itself! Thank you for this post!😀
Is it weird that I kind of don't care in the end? I mean....I really do but at the same time simply getting the interview is such a huge deal. Premed life = validated, thanks HMS
With all of the people that make this one such a huge deal and say they "will die" or "feel sick to their stomach because this is my dream school" if they are rejected, this is quite the awesome refresher. I feel kinda the same way. Just the interview is awesome. Do I really badly want to get accepted?? Heck yes I do! If I didn't, I wouldn't be the kind of candidate HMS even considers. But, it all comes down to this.... AWESOME if I get in; if not, life will go on. I have to say that many students would be happy to have the acceptances that I have thankfully been given, so who am I to act so pretentious and cry about not getting into Harvard? Be thankful for what success you've got and celebrate the extra should it come your way; if anything, the interview invite is extra in itself! Thank you for this post!
^^ Could not agree more. I think that sometimes, we're all so determined and so hard on ourselves that we feel that we NEED the best, NEED to go to this school, but at the end of the day, the only thing I need is to go to a medical school. Ideally, one in the continental US that is MD (Which very fortunately I will be doing next year). I also find tremendous comfort in the fact that this is Harvard med, one of the top institutions in the country (if not the top, hehe). That being said, no one, not any combination of test scores, GPA, and ECs can feel entitled to a spot here. There are so many qualified applicants, even for a school of this caliber. You can only feel grateful for the opportunity to be in the running for a spot and proud of yourself for being in a position to be seriously considered. I have no doubts that all of you who interviewed here will be successful doctors, no matter where you matriculate. Let's just celebrate living our dreams.
Last edited:
Pointing out a humblebrag is pretty pretentious to begin with, so you're okay.Well played
But it's not like interviewing early means anything so not much of a brag to begin with..
ok so my shot of interviewing at Harvard is over?
ok so my shot of interviewing at Harvard is over?
I think they are done with interviews. My day was the second to last (allegedly) and I interviewed 1/23
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news 🙁
One could add to this by pointing out that HMS is not "the best." It's amazing at very many things but also falls short of very many other things.^^ Could not agree more. I think that sometimes, we're all so determined and so hard on ourselves that we feel that we NEED the best, NEED to go to this school, but at the end of the day, the only thing I need is to go to a medical school.
what would you say are its weaknesses?One could add to this by pointing out that HMS is not "the best." It's amazing at very many things but also falls short of very many other things.
Their brand new, untested one-year preclinical curriculum with mandatory early morning attendance is a weakness in my book.what would you say are its weaknesses?
Edit: also Boston
Last edited:
I can't say I was a big fan of that either. Mandatory 8 am classes sounds awfulTheir brand new, untested one-year preclinical curriculum with mandatory early morning attendance is a weakness in my book.
Yeah, they are the only school that could get away with that switcheroo without a wild backlash.I can't say I was a big fan of that either. Mandatory 8 am classes sounds awful![]()
This is my major reservation for when it comes to choosing if I go here if I get in.Their brand new, untested one-year preclinical curriculum with mandatory early morning attendance is a weakness in my book.
Edit: also Boston
Do they at least record the lectures...??
Cuz me attending and me paying attention are two completely different things...
Lol
Cuz me attending and me paying attention are two completely different things...
Lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most of it is small group PBL with little actual lecture, which is probably why class in mandatory.Do they at least record the lectures...??
Cuz me attending and me paying attention are two completely different things...
Lol
Most of it is small group PBL with little actual lecture, which is probably why class in mandatory.
Gotcha. Still...is the lecture part recorded??
Please say yes. I seriously do not learn in a traditional lecture format.
That I'm not 100% sure on. They didn't touch much on the lecture aspect of the curriculum because they have it only 1x a week or so, I believe. But I'm right there with you in terms of not being able to learn from lecture well at all.Gotcha. Still...is the lecture part recorded??
Please say yes. I seriously do not learn in a traditional lecture format.
If there are any Pathways students around feel free to chime in if I got anything wrong, but here's what I remember from hanging out with my host and his study group, and attending one of their classes:Gotcha. Still...is the lecture part recorded??
Please say yes. I seriously do not learn in a traditional lecture format.
Class materials (notes/readings, some videos to go with the notes) are posted in advance and students are expected to go through them before class - my host says most people go through the material the afternoon/night before that particular topic is going to be covered. Each society meets in a classroom with many 4-person tables. On the day I sat in on a class, cases/discussion questions were presented (it was an Immunology session) and each 4-person table had a certain amount of time to work through those (using what they learned from the material they got in advance) before the instructor starts moderating a full class discussion, taking answers from different tables and explaining anything that needs to be explained. Also, I vaguely recall my host telling me about an actual in-class lecture (1x a week as @Pastamahn mentioned sounds about right).
If there are any Pathways students around feel free to chime in if I got anything wrong, but here's what I remember from hanging out with my host and his study group, and attending one of their classes:
Class materials (notes/readings, some videos to go with the notes) are posted in advance and students are expected to go through them before class - my host says most people go through the material the afternoon/night before that particular topic is going to be covered. Each society meets in a classroom with many 4-person tables. On the day I sat in on a class, cases/discussion questions were presented (it was an Immunology session) and each 4-person table had a certain amount of time to work through those (using what they learned from the material they got in advance) before the instructor starts moderating a full class discussion, taking answers from different tables and explaining anything that needs to be explained. I vaguely recall my host telling me about an actual in-class lecture (1x a week as @Pastamahn mentioned sounds about right).
Sweet. This actually sounds pretty cool.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K