2015-2016 Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know what to make of that. Should we take these emails literally or with a grain of salt? And I thought programs werent allowed to do that!

Grain of salt. People get burned year after year by acting on love letters, or so they say.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha are we going to start compiling the list of programs that sent out love letter now?

I mean, it would be very interesting to know, but at the same time, I have a feeling it will probably crush my morale...

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't MGH finish interviewing like 2 days ago? I would have thought they don't send love letters until they were done ranking, at least tentatively. Anyways, congrats on your strong application.

God it was sarcasm. Post about your post interview communication will only make others miserable so don't do it.

Regarding post-interview communication, please take with a grain of salt as both sides are trying to influence each other's rankings.

Only two types of communication mean anything:
1. "Rank to match" from program
2. "Ranking you #1" from applicant

Regarding post-interview communication, please take with a grain of salt as both sides are trying to influence each other's rankings.

Only two types of communication mean anything:
1. "Rank to match" from program
2. "Ranking you #1" from applicant

Is this an, "official rule"? How do you know everyone involved in the process is following these same rules?
I guess what I'm trying to ask is, if a program sends me a love letter without that "rank to match" magic word, should I just consider that a meaningless tease?

Some programs use "rank to match" to mean above the level which the program historically fills. If you do not have an explicit definition of "rank to match" as ranked in a position numbered less than or equal to the number of positions available, maintain skepticism.

Some programs use "rank to match" to mean above the level which the program historically fills. If you do not have an explicit definition of "rank to match" as ranked in a position numbered less than or equal to the number of positions available, maintain skepticism.

I would ask for proof. Trust no one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah there's really nothing stopping an applicant from asking for clarification about this point. Anything vague would just mean you're not actually ranked to match.

You should make your list based on what best benefits you (and your family) the most. Don't let outside interests (including program communications) influence how you make your list.

Make business decisions. Not emotional decisions.

Has anyone received a response at all from the PD at Cornell? Any response at all?

Is asking an applicant to let them know if they're really interested not a match violation? Basically requesting information about how they're ranked?

So over this bullsh*t process.

Is asking an applicant to let them know if they're really interested not a match violation? Basically requesting information about how they're ranked?

Innuendo/indirectness maintains some deniability but also in this case attempts to maintain the fiction of collegiality while asserting a power/dominance dynamic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Innuendo/indirectness maintains some deniability but also in this case attempts to maintain the fiction of collegiality while asserting a power/dominance dynamic.

Wow, cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Actually just finished interviewing today.
I lost track of all the illegal questions/potential match violations I encountered. Most were innocuous, some where just flat out weird.

-Being asked if I applied to X program also?
-Being asked how I liked X program compared to Y (program I was interviewing at)?
-Being asked where the dinner was for X program?
-Being asked if I had a family? (I suppose they meant wife and kids, but I'm not exactly an orphan)
-Being told about which beaches had the prettiest girls by an 70+ y/o radiologist (not a match violation, just awkward) when discussing the area.
-Being asked why I wouldn't want to stay at my home program?
-Being asked where I was flying to next (subtle, but some destinations give away programs. No one goes for Rochester, MN for fun)
-Being asked what country I'm from (...my place of birth is listed on the ERAS application, and it's the US).

Sorry if this has been hashed out elsewhere already, but any thoughts on how many prelim surgery programs one should be ranking? Going off of 2014's charting outcomes for general surgery those who matched ranked on average 12.4 and those who didn't ranked 5.8 - so my guess would be somewhere between these two numbers? Granted there might be geographical considerations, but trying to get a general sense for someone only considering g surg prelims.

yours truly,
a masochist

Sorry if this has been hashed out elsewhere already, but any thoughts on how many prelim surgery programs one should be ranking? Going off of 2014's charting outcomes for general surgery those who matched ranked on average 12.4 and those who didn't ranked 5.8 - so my guess would be somewhere between these two numbers? Granted there might be geographical considerations, but trying to get a general sense for someone only considering g surg prelims.

yours truly,
a masochist

There are no numbers specific to prelims that i could find. Considering you're applying to prelim surg, which is most peoples SOAP back up option, anyways why not just rank all the programs you got invited to.

sent a love letter last week. received a response within 5 minutes saying "thanks for the great email!!!".

haha / dur

Don't let communication manipulate you. The dark side is strong. If you are thinking about what they mean, then you're already half way to being Kylo Ren.

Don't let communication manipulate you. The dark side is strong. If you are thinking about what they mean, then you're already half way to being Kylo Ren.

Got a 'you're a top candidate' communication. Very tempted to reply and ask 'top 8?' but not worth potentially burning a bridge by calling their bluff.

Actually just finished interviewing today.
I lost track of all the illegal questions/potential match violations I encountered. Most were innocuous, some where just flat out weird.

-Being asked if I applied to X program also?
-Being asked how I liked X program compared to Y (program I was interviewing at)?
-Being asked where the dinner was for X program?
-Being asked if I had a family? (I suppose they meant wife and kids, but I'm not exactly an orphan)
-Being told about which beaches had the prettiest girls by an 70+ y/o radiologist (not a match violation, just awkward) when discussing the area.
-Being asked why I wouldn't want to stay at my home program?
-Being asked where I was flying to next (subtle, but some destinations give away programs. No one goes for Rochester, MN for fun)
-Being asked what country I'm from (...my place of birth is listed on the ERAS application, and it's the US).

You seem like a lot of fun..

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received any communication from Stanford post-interview or post-thank-you-notes?

Yes, but I wouldn't worry if you didn't hear back from them or any program. PD's and interviewers are hammered with emails, and replies are semi-random depending on when you emailed them/how free they were at that time. I feel like that was the case for my post-application (pre-interview) communications as well. Felt like I got responded to much more when sending emails at 6-7am their time but who knows....

Question...do most people put few intern programs on the main rank list after listing all rads programs? In the worst case scenario where you only matched into intern programs and not to radiology, can you or are you allowed to participate in the SOAP this year for any opening rads spots while you matched to intern program? Or, do you have to reapply rads on the next cycle?

Question...do most people put few intern programs on the main rank list after listing all rads programs? In the worst case scenario where you only matched into intern programs and not to radiology, can you or are you allowed to participate in the SOAP this year for any opening rads spots while you matched to intern program? Or, do you have to reapply rads on the next cycle?

Look at NRMP data for the average number of distinct specialties ranked by applicants who preferred radiology.

If you partially matched, you can SOAP for the other part.

Yes, but I wouldn't worry if you didn't hear back from them or any program. PD's and interviewers are hammered with emails, and replies are semi-random depending on when you emailed them/how free they were at that time. I feel like that was the case for my post-application (pre-interview) communications as well. Felt like I got responded to much more when sending emails at 6-7am their time but who knows....

were they effusive or cryptic? :)

There's no need to speculate. Pick where you want to go. All this does is create anxiety and useless thought. All will fall into place soon.

Seen so many people get burned with 'love letters' last year that the programs that send them kind of make me mad and lowers my opinion of them. Prefer the places with open no post interview communication policies.

Burned because it influenced the applicant's decisions? Well then don't let post interview communication manipulate you.

Burned because it influenced the applicant's decisions? Well then don't let post interview communication manipulate you.

I'm not sure. I was referring to people who graduated last year who thought they were going to get their number one after communications and didn't.

Let me give you an example:

I originally wanted to go to programs A, B, and C in that order. They are the best fit for me and my family. Program B then sends me a "love letter." I feel "loved" and move them up and now the order is B, A, and C. On match day, I am confident that I will end up at program B, my new #1, because they "love" me. But then I open my letter and I see program A, my #2. I feel that I am no longer loved. Well that is on me for being gullible and not sticking to my plan. If you don't want to get burnt, then don't play with matches.