2015-2016 Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for this! It's one of my top choice and I was freaking out!!

You're welcome. I didn't even get an interview there. I just happened to know that from talking to him, and I know if these post were about my #1 I'd feel sh*tty.

I'm not a big fan of posting of love letters. It's callous at best, not sure what people think they're gaining by sharing it.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with the above. Can people agree to stop posting about communication. If you got it, great, pat yourself on the back, but all it does for everyone else is cause anxiety. Really you shouldn't be changing your ranks based on it anyway! Look on the NRMP website about how the match works! It's primarily based on applicants ranks, and the program's list serves as a type of tiebreaker.

People match without getting communication and fail to match even when they do. The only communication you should have is to ask a question and expect just an answer.

But some of us want to know... the whole point of SDN is information exchange. If you don't want to read anxiety-inducing threads then don't go on an anonymous forum full of neurotic med students. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Caring about post interview communication is like looking at your 401k during a bear market. It doesn't help and causes people to act and make mistakes. Stay the course.

But some of us want to know... the whole point of SDN is information exchange. If you don't want to read anxiety-inducing threads then don't go on an anonymous forum full of neurotic med students. lol.

What are you possibly doing with that information?

The interviews have been completed. The rank lists have been complete (at most institutions and by most applicants).
Are you going to rank a program differently if they sent 10 love letters versus 50? If they sent one to everyone else other than you?

SDN can be a good exchange of information when trying to compare programs, especially when residents/attendings weigh in.
I just really can't find a use for this information other than bragging.

Last edited:
Knowledge of post-interview communication can be useful in some cases. For example, if an applicant is split 50/50 between programs C and D as their 3 and 4th choices respectively, and they found out that both programs sent out 'love letters'. If the applicant received a letter from one of the two programs, he/she may assume that program values the applicant relatively more, and can use this information as a tie breaker (the rationale being you want to be at a program that wants you). Of course this method is far from perfect, but it does provide marginally helpful information. This scenario is true in my case as I have not completed my rank list (I'm not even close, and I know that to be true for many applicants). Programs talk among one another about which applicant sent love letters, we'd be at a disadvantage if we don't know information about which programs sent us what. Just my 2 cent.

I seriously doubt programs talk amongst each other about which applicant send love letters, other than the circumstance where you tell two programs you're ranking them #1, burn one of them and they tell the program you matched at your word is worthless. PDs have other responsibilities than keeping track of every applicants communications with other programs.

The marginal utility of knowing which programs have sent love letters seems suspect given that this is an anonymous forum that requires little burden of proof to back up any posts. But if you want to adjust your rank list based on the fact that MGH, UCSF, Penn, and MIR have sent me love letters, be my guest.

Keep in mind why they send these "love letters." To get you to change your mind.

Keep in mind why they send these "love letters." To get you to change your mind.

I imagine most residency applicants haven't undergone a recruiting process before (unless they had careers prior to medicine).

It's all marketing at the end of the day.

Two links

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22914523/

http://www.nrmp.org/match-process/match-algorithm/ <--- watch the video

Rank according to what you want! According to the article almost 1 in 5 people end up misled by communication. And a similar number change their lists based on communication (when you watch the video you can see why you shouldn't change).

Post interview communication from programs only serves to deceive applicants. If it sways a few people's minds like the article states it does, it's acted as somewhat of an insurance that the program will fill or at least not drop that low on their list. This does not benefit you.

As a resident who has been through this, I can sum up post-interview communication with one picture:

iGTVR.jpg

Loved that previous message! Ha! Currently going through the DR Match and have also tried to make sense of messages I've received from various programs. Some messages have come in unprompted, which has been exciting I'll admit. Others have come in after emailing them first, and responses have ranged from "we enjoyed meeting you" to effusive letters of interest. My personal experience has been that I initially reacted by "up-ranking" programs that sent me unprompted e-mails, as I took their kindness/consideration to represent that they truly valued me. However, as the days pass, I've found myself scrutinizing the myriad of intentions for them doing so and becoming quite cynical; obviously, programs have their own agendas not all of which are genuine, sadly.

After reading a couple of JACR articles and reading previous years' threads for specialties other than DR, I've concluded that there really isn't any reliable way to predict outcomes and "game" the system. There is no way to guess programs' true motives, and I have more or less reverted to my first ROL sans email considerations, the ROL that reflects my instincts. Programs have various styles of communication, interviewers may forget to answer e-mails, and again, motives for messaging are diverse... even for two applicants ranking the same program and receiving messages. There are 900+ other applicants' preferences to consider as well, and it makes more sense that matching should be more a function of this than PDs' e-mails. My two cents.

I would argue then that there is little if no utility to messages on this thread from members that state they've been responded to by "X" program, especially when the details of their messages are not shared. The case could be that program "X" may have not e-mailed its tier 1 students but e-mailed its tier 2 to ensure it should fill with more preferred applicants should its tier 1 students opt to match elsewhere. It could also very well be the case (yes, worst nightmares can definitely be true) that program "X" e-mailed only its tier 1 students. It's hard to tell. Perhaps one thing can be garnered from post-interview communications: if you get a love letter from a program implying you'll match, you're very likely not the last person on that program's list. :)

You know, I've also wondered if perhaps the reason some people don't match into their dream programs is because they forget to certify their ROLs... I'm kind of thinking it's happened AT LEAST a handful of times in the past... so... remember to certify that ROL if you make changes!

Also, shouldn't PD-to-PD communications about specific applicants (i.e., ranking, interview specifics, programs interviewed at, etc.) be considered a Match violation? It creates a horrible information asymmetry between programs and interviewees. If it's a violation, great. If it isn't... well... it kind of seems like an unfair advantage. :-/

Again... my opinions... and not even good ones at that. If you received an awesome letter, feel free to share if you're so inclined. If you don't want to be psyched out, don't read the posts on this thread. Choices. Choices. I'm too squirrelly to post any specifics about my communications. I'm just gonna go with my BMI 40 gut on this one.

http://www.jgme.org/doi/pdf/10.4300/JGME-D-15-00062.1
http://www.jacr.org/article/S1546-1440(14)00434-7/abstract

If PDs talk to each other, then students should talk to each other as well. It's a two way street.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loved that previous message! Ha! Currently going through the DR Match and have also tried to make sense of messages I've received from various programs. Some messages have come in unprompted, which has been exciting I'll admit. Others have come in after emailing them first, and responses have ranged from "we enjoyed meeting you" to effusive letters of interest. My personal experience has been that I initially reacted by "up-ranking" programs that sent me unprompted e-mails, as I took their kindness/consideration to represent that they truly valued me. However, as the days pass, I've found myself scrutinizing the myriad of intentions for them doing so and becoming quite cynical; obviously, programs have their own agendas not all of which are genuine, sadly.

After reading a couple of JACR articles and reading previous years' threads for specialties other than DR, I've concluded that there really isn't any reliable way to predict outcomes and "game" the system. There is no way to guess programs' true motives, and I have more or less reverted to my first ROL sans email considerations, the ROL that reflects my instincts. Programs have various styles of communication, interviewers may forget to answer e-mails, and again, motives for messaging are diverse... even for two applicants ranking the same program and receiving messages. There are 900+ other applicants' preferences to consider as well, and it makes more sense that matching should be more a function of this than PDs' e-mails. My two cents.

I would argue then that there is little if no utility to messages on this thread from members that state they've been responded to by "X" program, especially when the details of their messages are not shared. The case could be that program "X" may have not e-mailed its tier 1 students but e-mailed its tier 2 to ensure it should fill with more preferred applicants should its tier 1 students opt to match elsewhere. It could also very well be the case (yes, worst nightmares can definitely be true) that program "X" e-mailed only its tier 1 students. It's hard to tell. Perhaps one thing can be garnered from post-interview communications: if you get a love letter from a program implying you'll match, you're very likely not the last person on that program's list. :)

You know, I've also wondered if perhaps the reason some people don't match into their dream programs is because they forget to certify their ROLs... I'm kind of thinking it's happened AT LEAST a handful of times in the past... so... remember to certify that ROL if you make changes!

Also, shouldn't PD-to-PD communications about specific applicants (i.e., ranking, interview specifics, programs interviewed at, etc.) be considered a Match violation? It creates a horrible information asymmetry between programs and interviewees. If it's a violation, great. If it isn't... well... it kind of seems like an unfair advantage. :-/

Again... my opinions... and not even good ones at that. If you received an awesome letter, feel free to share if you're so inclined. If you don't want to be psyched out, don't read the posts on this thread. Choices. Choices. I'm too squirrelly to post any specifics about my communications. I'm just gonna go with my BMI 40 gut on this one.

http://www.jgme.org/doi/pdf/10.4300/JGME-D-15-00062.1
http://www.jacr.org/article/S1546-1440(14)00434-7/abstract

Eye roll at the fact that the Duke PD is a coauthor on this, yet openly brags about how Duke only fell to its 15th rank spot in his newsletter (posted somewhere in SDN radiology). It's basically an open secret that Duke is one of the places where letters of intent are expected to be ranked highly.

Guys, I need help with rank list but don't feel like starting another thread. Thoughts on Columbia vs BWH? Personally, NYC > Boston. Location aside, how were your interview experiences there? Any words of wisdom? I know Brigham is obviously great, but know anything about Columbia?

Guys, I need help with rank list but don't feel like starting another thread. Thoughts on Columbia vs BWH? Personally, NYC > Boston. Location aside, how were your interview experiences there? Any words of wisdom? I know Brigham is obviously great, but know anything about Columbia?

Feel like it's easily BWH over Columbia, unless you NEED to be NYC. Columbia is a strong program, but it's just not on the same level as BWH. I was far more impressed by the BWH residents than I was by Columbia residents. Thought the culture/workload was better at BWH than Columbia. I don't have anything remarkable to say about the interviews themselves.

I think there's another Columbia specific thread somewhere on here if you want to check that.

Feel like it's easily BWH over Columbia, unless you NEED to be NYC. Columbia is a strong program, but it's just not on the same level as BWH. I was far more impressed by the BWH residents than I was by Columbia residents. Thought the culture/workload was better at BWH than Columbia. I don't have anything remarkable to say about the interviews themselves.

I think there's another Columbia specific thread somewhere on here if you want to check that.

Thanks! I want to be in NYC that I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of prestige. Just wondering if anyone can elaborate on the culture and workload of Columbia's program? Where is this Columbia specific thread??

I though the Columbia program was nice... definitely a program to be proud of. Some of my interviewers stated upfront how Columbia Radiology was in a rebuilding phase and was making great strides in overcoming its position as "second fiddle" to Cornell and NYU (definitely shows in their ranking on the resident café blog; agreed, somewhat arbitrary but a good attempt to rank programs nevertheless). The faculty members/interviewers were all incredibly kind and genuine and the residents seemed happy enough. Loved the program director.

If PDs talk to each other, then students should talk to each other as well. It's a two way street.

I see what you mean, but this doesn't change that the quality of information you and I could compile would ever come close to that of the PDs. It wouldn't be being in the same "two way street". Information symmetry would imply that info shared between PDs would be available in some form to candidates and that candidates' information would be available to PDs. No way to really create info symmetry. My personal take on all of this post-interview comms stuff is that it should be outright banned. It leads to disappointment and marred perceptions of candidates and programs alike after the match.

I though the Columbia program was nice... definitely a program to be proud of. Some of my interviewers stated upfront how Columbia Radiology was in a rebuilding phase and was making great strides in overcoming its position as "second fiddle" to Cornell and NYU (definitely shows in their ranking on the resident café blog; agreed, somewhat arbitrary but a good attempt to rank programs nevertheless). The faculty members/interviewers were all incredibly kind and genuine and the residents seemed happy enough. Loved the program director.
I'm not drinking the koolaid that NYU > Cornell > Columbia, or any of the top tier programs for that matter. Unless there is an objective measure of how these programs differ in training (aside from factors like culture, resident well-being, etc), I doubt training is different. This is radiology, your best teacher is StatDx and a cup of coffee. Why do we consider NYU/Cornell better than Columbia, other than "I heard that NYU/Cornell have better training"? If one looks at the faculty at Columbia vs say NYU...they pretty much have the same caliber of training. More than another other specialty, radiology is a field where excellence is really up to the individual.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not drinking the koolaid that NYU > Cornell > Columbia, or any of the top tier programs for that matter. Unless there is an objective measure of how these programs differ in training (aside from factors like culture, resident well-being, etc), I doubt training is different. This is radiology, your best teacher is StatDx and a cup of coffee. Why do we consider NYU/Cornell better than Columbia, other than "I heard that NYU/Cornell have better training"? If one looks at the faculty at Columbia vs say NYU...they pretty much have the same caliber of training. More than another other specialty, radiology is a field where excellence is really up to the individual.

Training is more or less the same at top 20 programs. As someone who learned 90% of my med school knowledge from Pathoma/Uworld/Online Med Ed, I agree with you that you'll be learning from StatDx, Brant/Helms, or whatever. Others may disagree, but no one is graduating from the #20 progarm (w/e that is) with obvious deficits. These programs differ in everything else - research, connections (both your faculty and coresidents), grants, case variety (yes all top academics centers will see some of everything, but UPMC will see more transplants than NYU, for example).

I'm not arguing that you should go to NYU over Columbia, or MGH over UAB, decide on whatever is important to you. But when people say a program is better, there are significant differences beyond the basics of 'training.'

This is exactly the wrong mentality to have as a future radiologist... that reviewing statdx is sufficient to make one a good radiologist... that online resources make the training. Simply sitting in a reading room and churning out impressions is the reason we're commoditized and exactly what we're trying to do away with as we focus more on value based radiology and a new healthcare paradigm. Training location/program DOES matter, as the ethos of each program differs insofar as research (i.e., pushing the field forward) and being a good clinician is concerned (yes, even for rads)... and the efforts each program takes to materialize its visions for the role radiologists should have in the new healthcare landscape. Nobody is asking you to drink the NYC program hierarchy koolaid but do have some of the one called value based radiology. ;-)

I have never heard value defined well in radiology. Value based radiology seems to be the hot buzz word within radiology, I'm not sure it has much to do with resident education. To me, it's another buzzword along the lines of synergy. I'm not sure I want to consider synergy when making my rank list.

This is exactly the wrong mentality to have as a future radiologist... that reviewing statdx is sufficient to make one a good radiologist... that online resources make the training. Simply sitting in a reading room and churning out impressions is the reason we're commoditized and exactly what we're trying to do away with as we focus more on value based radiology and a new healthcare paradigm. Training location/program DOES matter, as the ethos of each program differs insofar as research (i.e., pushing the field forward) and being a good clinician is concerned (yes, even for rads)... and the efforts each program takes to materialize its visions for the role radiologists should have in the new healthcare landscape. Nobody is asking you to drink the NYC program hierarchy koolaid but do have some of the one called value based radiology. ;-)
Riddle me this: At some of the programs (top 20) they tell me "come here we will turn you into a great radiologist." And then I go and look up these interviewers...they went to schools and programs 3 tiers below where they work. How did that happen? By your logic great radiologists comes from "great" programs. Yes adding value to radiology blah blah blah. Care to give a concrete example on how programs differ in that? I'm not saying reviewing statdx is sufficient, but do know that this is no longer the 1950s, and great cases (at least diagnostic, I admitted don't know much about interventional as I'm not interested) don't come in physical films anymore.

Riddle me this: At some of the programs (top 20) they tell me "come here we will turn you into a great radiologist." And then I go and look up these interviewers...they went to schools and programs 3 tiers below where they work. How did that happen? By your logic great radiologists comes from "great" programs. Yes adding value to radiology blah blah blah. Care to give a concrete example on how programs differ in that? I'm not saying reviewing statdx is sufficient, but do know that this is no longer the 1950s, and great cases (at least diagnostic, I admitted don't know much about interventional as I'm not interested) don't come in physical films anymore.

Agreed. Ignore the marketing terms. When I hear 'value based' I stop listening.

I'm loving this debate. Keep 'em coming! Learned more on SDN than in top ranked med school. What color koolaid do y'all like to drink?

I am happy that you are in east coast and most likely won't end up in our practice.

If you think statdx and google can replace the value of sitting with Gurus of a field, going to tumor boards, interacting with outstanding clinicians, sitting in multidisciplinary conferences and seeing high end pathology you are wrong big time.

You don't know what you don't know.

People need to stop posting with the RadiologyReviews2015 account when they are not discussing specific programs or rank lists. It just makes entire conversations utterly confusing.

I am happy that you are in east coast and most likely won't end up in our practice.

If you think statdx and google can replace the value of sitting with Gurus of a field, going to tumor boards, interacting with outstanding clinicians, sitting in multidisciplinary conferences and seeing high end pathology you are wrong big time.

You don't know what you don't know.
Think you're misinterpreting my comment. There definitely is value in going to tumor boards and interacting with clinicians about tough cases. No disagreement there. Most top academic centers will have these conferences, so it is not a distinguishing factor among programs. Merely asking readers who are ranking right now to think critically about choices, as my perception among my classmates is there is subtle fear among us that if we don't go to the 'best' training program that we will be at a loss. I myself almost fell victim to this thought and had to dial back on that when making my list. The perceived values of 'prestigious' programs are due to the value we as applicants place in them, not neccessarily due to their intrinsic worth. When you don't think critically, you will buy into the massive groupthink and may end up making suboptimal decisions that wouldn't affect (or will marginally affect) your job prospects, but will lead to misery/unhappiness/"oh why did I pick this program over that one". Examples of buying into hypes/reputation can be seen throughout the history of the stock market. This happened with tulips in the 1600s, with the internet market in late 1999, with Enron in the early 2000s, with the housing market in 2007, etc etc. All I'm saying is, rank base on where you think you will be happy, within reasonable tiers of programs.

Think you're misinterpreting my comment. There definitely is value in going to tumor boards and interacting with clinicians about tough cases. No disagreement there. Most top academic centers will have these conferences, so it is not a distinguishing factor among programs. Merely asking readers who are ranking right now to think critically about choices, as my perception among my classmates is there is subtle fear among us that if we don't go to the 'best' training program that we will be at a loss. I myself almost fell victim to this thought and had to dial back on that when making my list. The perceived values of 'prestigious' programs are due to the value we as applicants place in them, not neccessarily due to their intrinsic worth. When you don't think critically, you will buy into the massive groupthink and may end up making suboptimal decisions that wouldn't affect (or will marginally affect) your job prospects, but will lead to misery/unhappiness/"oh why did I pick this program over that one". Examples of buying into hypes/reputation can be seen throughout the history of the stock market. This happened with tulips in the 1600s, with the internet market in late 1999, with Enron in the early 2000s, with the housing market in 2007, etc etc. All I'm saying is, rank base on where you think you will be happy, within reasonable tiers of programs.

You clearly mentioned in your post that statdx and a cup of coffee is your best teacher. Anyway, radiology education does not have anything to do with stock market. I even don't know where you want to go from there.

You can not ignore that Hopkins or MGH have their top name brand. Your argument is similar to saying that a BMW and a Honda both do the job so people who buy BWM for 4x the price are stupid.

The "prestige" of a program is beyond the value that the applicants place in it. BWH does not have the prestige because applicants rank it high. It is the other way.

I am not going to argue anymore with you. Your opinion is full of biases and justifications or you don't know what you are talking about.

You clearly mentioned in your post that statdx and a cup of coffee is your best teacher. Anyway, radiology education does not have anything to do with stock market. I even don't know where you want to go from there.

You can not ignore that Hopkins or MGH have their top name brand. Your argument is similar to saying that a BMW and a Honda both do the job so people who buy BWM for 4x the price are stupid.

The "prestige" of a program is beyond the value that the applicants place in it. BWH does not have the prestige because applicants rank it high. It is the other way.

I am not going to argue anymore with you. Your opinion is full of biases and justifications or you don't know what you are talking about.
Yeah, I kind of agree with you on this one. Utterly confused about the poorly described tulip/stock market analogies. I was also thinking about replying to that post, but stopped myself out of fear of wasting time. Someone posted a reply to this person about the erroneous nature of the "statdx should be enough to make you a good radiologists" mentality.

Agreed. Ignore the marketing terms. When I hear 'value based' I stop listening.
Think you should read the JACR in your mailbox once in a while... you might learn that "value based" is more than JUST a marketing term (i.e., efforts to improve clinical informatics, find objective methods using informatics to show how imaging reduces costs, decrease radiation exposure, decrease rates of superfluous procedures, increase radiologist presence at the bedside, etc.).

"One does not simply walk into [the new post-ACA environment as a radiologist expecting to keep the same level of reimbursement and regard within the medical community sitting in a reading room reading studies and reviewing statdx]." LOL

Understand that as most reimbursement systems phase out of fee-for-service and transition to frameworks like "bundled care", specialties will need to make clear value propositions as to why they deserve a greater slice of the reimbursement pie. They will also need to reinvent their roles. The new generation of radiologists will need to do MORE than what is currently expected of previous generations.

Think you should read the JACR in your mailbox once in a while... you might learn that "value based" is more than JUST a marketing term (i.e., efforts to improve clinical informatics, find objective methods using informatics to show how imaging reduces costs, decrease radiation exposure, decrease rates of superfluous procedures, increase radiologist presence at the bedside, etc.).

"One does not simply walk into [the new post-ACA environment as a radiologist expecting to keep the same level of reimbursement and regard within the medical community sitting in a reading room reading studies and reviewing statdx]." LOL

Understand that as most reimbursement systems phase out of fee-for-service and transition to frameworks like "bundled care", specialties will need to make clear value propositions as to why they deserve a greater slice of the reimbursement pie. They will also need to reinvent their roles. The new generation of radiologists will need to do MORE than what is currently expected of previous generations.
Agreed. Think the way to keep radiology indispensible is to amp up translational research to 1) create better imaging technology, 2) prove that such technology can be used in new ways to provide useful information in either diagnosis or treatment. Most of the good work is done by PhDs and not MDs, though.

I was finally able to submit ERAS. I think an interview date thread would be useful for all applicants. The previous thread had the following format:

State
Program name (Interview invite date): Possible Interview Dates.

Please bold any new additions, and include each program under its respective state.

Good luck!