2015-2016 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last year on this day (i.e. the day after traffic day) NYU sent out a tweet saying they were sending out more acceptances. So I've been checking Twitter all day.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted off the WL today, and immediately withdrew.

Hopefully the spot goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off the WL today, and immediately withdrew.

Hopefully the spot goes to one of you guys!

That's great! Glad to hear the waitlist is moving (although not glad I didn't get in D:). Was it through email?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Twitter post around 4:40pm ET:

"Congratulations to all those accepted today to NYU School of Medicine! Hoping to see you in our entering class this summer. @nyuschoolofmed"

Got an email around midday today. accepted off WL. I had all but written off NYU so theres some decision making to do

Got an email around midday today. accepted off WL. I had all but written off NYU so theres some decision making to do
Did you send any updates/Letters of intent during the time you were on the waitlist?

Did you send any updates/Letters of intent during the time you were on the waitlist?
No I was basically all ready to go elsewhere haha. I don't even think I sent thank you letters because they told you to upload it to the portal and I was like, oh you don't really care

Reactions: 1 user
No I was basically all ready to go elsewhere haha. I don't even think I sent thank you letters because they told you to upload it to the portal and I was like, oh you don't really care

LM if you don't mind me asking? seeing Washu.. I'm assuming pretty darn high haha

Withdrew last week. Good luck to waitlistees! :)

Reactions: 3 users
really hoping for some more movement next week :/

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know approximately how often NYU pulls from the wait list? Weekly? Monthly? Randomly?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know approximately how often NYU pulls from the wait list? Weekly? Monthly? Randomly?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
From what I've inferred, pretty randomly. Only when a spot opens up. I think Monday was the largest chunk of movement (seemed pretty small this year) we will see.

Have any WL acceptees gotten financial aid info? Just wondering since the original letter to us said a three day turnaround for people who get off the waitlist

Just some info to possibly uplift someone.

Last year:
8253 applied
1031 interviewed
531 accepted
So, ~52% chance acceptance rate

Instate:
181 interviewed
108 accepted
So, ~60% chance accepted

Out state:
850 interviewed
423 accepted
So, ~50% chance

Women:
489 interviewed
270 accepted
So, 55%

Minority:
513 interviewed
290 accepted
So, 57%

I wonder if these numbers are right.... I feel like not even close to 500 people have been accepted yet. Also in their email to us they said that they had ~7300 applications for 132, so the numbers this year should probably be somewhat similar to last year's numbers....

I wonder if these numbers are right.... I feel like not even close to 500 people have been accepted yet. Also in their email to us they said that they had ~7300 applications for 132, so the numbers this year should probably be somewhat similar to last year's numbers....

I've been hearing a lot about schools getting algorithms for their wait lists. Which equates to much less waitlist movement. Also that data is from the 2016 US news report before the new data came out. 2017's data is lower...

1092 interviewees
428 total acceptances
39% chance

Last edited:
Anyone hear of recent WL movement? Doesn't seem to be too much this year after original batch early May.

apparently they accepted more on saturday, according to Dr. Rivera's twitter.

there seems to be so little wait list movement this year compared to previous years (at least based on documentation via past SDN threads)

has anybody ever been accepted off the waitlist from mid-June to mid-August?

I just got accepted off the waitlist today around 4 pm CST. I'm totally shocked; I completely assumed NYU was never going to happen and I was getting excited about my state school, which I planned to attend. Now I have a week to decide if I want to shoulder a ton more debt to go to NYU, considering the private school tuition and housing costs (since I could live at home if I go to my state school). It's a good problem to have, but I'm still overwhelmed.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted off the waitlist today around 4 pm CST. I'm totally shocked; I completely assumed NYU was never going to happen and I was getting excited about my state school, which I planned to attend. Now I have a week to decide if I want to shoulder a ton more debt to go to NYU, considering the private school tuition and housing costs (since I could live at home if I go to my state school). It's a good problem to have, but I'm still overwhelmed.
Congrats! But also ouch... how much more is the cost?

Congrats! But also ouch... how much more is the cost?
As my friend said when I talked to her, "enough to make you vomit."

As I crunch the numbers, I think NYU will be about $120k more. But I have a phone call with financial aid today to see if I have any other options, and I've been researching debt repayment programs, as well as what my monthly payments would look like in relation to the average resident and physician salary in the specialty I'm most considering, and it might just be worth it. I'm probably delusional and it goes against a lot of the advice I have received, but I just might do it.

Congrats please let me know what you decide!
I haven't paid the deposit yet, but I think I'm gonna go for it! I may kick myself for this down the line, but I value experiences more than material things, and as long as I can always afford a place to live and food to eat, I will be happy. NYC has always been the dream, so how can I possibly pass on this opportunity? NYU, here I come!

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't paid the deposit yet, but I think I'm gonna go for it! I may kick myself for this down the line, but I value experiences more than material things, and as long as I can always afford a place to live and food to eat, I will be happy. NYC has always been the dream, so how can I possibly pass on this opportunity? NYU, here I come!
Same NYU is a dream school and I am hoping for an open spot soon.

This is my first post on SDN. I came off the wait list today. Unbelievably excited to join everyone at NYU!

Any idea how long it takes for Financial Aid package to become viewable?

Any current students have insight into chances of coming off the waitlist/how to increase those chances

Any current students have insight into chances of coming off the waitlist/how to increase those chances
Not a current student, but a former NYU accepted student...
I would send in any application updates and if you're seriously committed to going, write a Letter of Intent. I remember discussing this with students last year and the admissions office does accept LOIs. Good luck!

Not a current student, but a former NYU accepted student...
I would send in any application updates and if you're seriously committed to going, write a Letter of Intent. I remember discussing this with students last year and the admissions office does accept LOIs. Good luck!

So I kind of already did that after my interview since they are my #1 choice...but now I dont know what to do to keep myself relevant to them