2015-2016 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys know if there is any way to watch the webinar afterwards if you are busy during that time?

Members don't see this ad.

They told me the wait list was not ranked when I called but I find that hard to believe

Members don't see this ad :)
WLed and withdrew. Disappointed because I have lived in NYC before, rocked the MMI, did research before at NYU, and generally thought I fit in. I will be attending a higher ranked choice so nbd.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard decisions went out recently. I just wanted to congratulate everyone who got in. As a member of the NYU family, it's an honor to welcome all of you. You have each worked very hard, and when med school gets tough, just remember that the admission committee selected you for a reason out of the many people who applied. NYU truly is a marvelous place to be. If I can answer any questions/give any insight, please let me know. Congratulations again. Enjoy the moment, med school is tough haha :)

Reactions: 2 users
I heard decisions went out recently. I just wanted to congratulate everyone who got in. As a member of the NYU family, it's an honor to welcome all of you. You have each worked very hard, and when med school gets tough, just remember that the admission committee selected you for a reason out of the many people who applied. NYU truly is a marvelous place to be. If I can answer any questions/give any insight, please let me know. Congratulations again. Enjoy the moment, med school is tough haha :)
Hey I had a question for you if you could possibly answer via private chat? For some reason it's not letting me private chat you, I think you may have to change your settings

Just for everyone who's still in the game's info- WL yesterday
520+ MCAT 3.9+GPA
NYS resident
interviewed early September
Honestly not surprised, I kinda sucked on the MMI and didn't really fit well with this school.
Oh well:) win some lose some! Got a full tuition scholly at a higher ranked school, which I like more anyways. Its allll about fit guys- don't feel badly.
Much love and Good luck to all.
Also congrats to all who got in!

Just some info to possibly uplift someone.

Last year:
8253 applied
1031 interviewed
531 accepted
So, ~52% chance acceptance rate

Instate:
181 interviewed
108 accepted
So, ~60% chance accepted

Out state:
850 interviewed
423 accepted
So, ~50% chance

Women:
489 interviewed
270 accepted
So, 55%

Minority:
513 interviewed
290 accepted
So, 57%

For a "waitlist thank you," are y'all just uploading it straight to the portal?

Last year:
8253 applied
1031 interviewed
531 accepted

Instate:
181 interviewed
108 accepted
So, ~60% chance accepted

Out state:
850 interviewed
423 accepted
So, ~50% chance

Women:
489 interviewed
270 accepted
So, 55%

Minority:
513 interviewed
290 accepted
So, 57%
Are these "accepted" stats including people who were eventually accepted off of the wait list?

Last year:
8253 applied
1031 interviewed
531 accepted

Instate:
181 interviewed
108 accepted
So, ~60% chance accepted

Out state:
850 interviewed
423 accepted
So, ~50% chance

Women:
489 interviewed
270 accepted
So, 55%

Minority:
513 interviewed
290 accepted
So, 57%

Just out of curiosity, where did this statistic come from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I realized I forgot to post this but WL as well, got the email around noon on last Friday 1/29 like everyone else. Complete late July interviewed mid-Oct.

Are these "accepted" stats including people who were eventually accepted off of the wait list?

My theory is that they accept their class in full and then once people start withdrawing they pull from the waitlist. So I believe it does include wait listed students. I also believe that the percentage might be better than predicted because of post II rejections..

Just out of curiosity, where did this statistic come from?

U.S. News report

Hi everyone, I am doing interview ratings of schools, here is NYUs:

Love the Murray Hill/Kips Bay/Gramercy area, great research, I despise MMIs, Bellevue provides unmatched clinical experience, I was tremendously put off by the administration's focus on increasing their ranking and trying to beat Columbia. Everyone seemed a little uptight there. Word of mouth, I heard from NYU med students and NYU undergrads that the adcom is less willing to accept their own NYU undergrads or other grad students for admission in favor of poaching all the Ivy league kids and LizzyM 80 kids from other schools, which if true I find kind of despicable and not honorable to do to their own students.

Grade: B-

Love the Murray Hill/Kips Bay/Gramercy area, great research, I despise MMIs, Bellevue provides unmatched clinical experience, I was tremendously put off by the administration's focus on increasing their ranking and trying to beat Columbia. Everyone seemed a little uptight there. Word of mouth, I heard from NYU med students and NYU undergrads that the adcom is less willing to accept their own NYU undergrads or other grad students for admission in favor of poaching all the Ivy league kids and LizzyM 80 kids from other schools, which if true I find kind of despicable and not honorable to do to their own students.

NYU does have this 3-year accelerated program designed just for their undergrads, so I don't think they're less willing to take their own students.

NYU does have this 3-year accelerated program designed just for their undergrads, so I don't think they're less willing to take their own students.
I thought 3 year was just for accepted people period, not NYU undergrads? If I am wrong about that, I will bump NYU to a B/B+.

I feel like they didn't accept a whole lot of people (if studentdoctor and mdapplicants is statistically accurate). Maybe there will be significant waitlist movement?

I will confirm the NYU emphasis on boosting rankings. Seemed kind of childish and insecure. It was also the only Manhattan school I interviewed at that seemed to mention and compare itself to the others.

I will confirm the NYU emphasis on boosting rankings. Seemed kind of childish and insecure. It was also the only Manhattan school I interviewed at that seemed to mention and compare itself to the others.

My alma mater used to have significant placement to NYU med when I was a freshman and before then when I was in high school. They seem to be going for the numbered-centric approach of WashU now lol

My alma mater used to have significant placement to NYU med when I was a freshman and before then when I was in high school. They seem to be going for the numbered-centric approach of WashU now lol

Very dumb. It's a really cheap way to boost rankings.

Very dumb. It's a really cheap way to boost rankings.

Just because you accept people with higher numbers doesn't mean the "quality" of applicant goes down.

People on SDN always think high stats == robots with no social skills and with lackluster ECs.

If anything, it is the people with higher stats that tend to be "better" in other aspects of their application as well. That is because many of the same traits that lead to higher stats (e.g., ambition, drive, intelligence) are also correlated with having better ECs (or at least the motivation to do those ECs).

NYU's average MCAT is 36. That's the same as schools like Hopkins/Harvard/Stanford which I don't really hear anyone blaming for having non-well-rounded students.

Just because you accept people with higher numbers doesn't mean the "quality" of applicant goes down.

People on SDN always think high stats == robots with no social skills and with lackluster ECs.

If anything, it is the people with higher stats that tend to be "better" in other aspects of their application as well. That is because many of the same traits that lead to higher stats (e.g., ambition, drive, intelligence) are also correlated with having better ECs (or at least the motivation to do those ECs).

NYU's average MCAT is 36. That's the same as schools like Hopkins/Harvard/Stanford which I don't really hear anyone blaming for having non-well-rounded students.

Hopkins/Harvard/Stanford have had their rankings for decades. We just think it is totally artificial the way NYU raised the rankings. NYU is a fantastic school don't get me wrong, definitely one of the strongest in NYC. But it is so artificial that they got rid of their traditional medical student base from at least five years ago and spanning several decades to beat out Columbia and Cornell. I think I read NYU is #34 in 2007 online and is now approaching top 10 status.

Hopkins/Harvard/Stanford have had their rankings for decades. We just think it is totally artificial the way NYU raised the rankings. NYU is a fantastic school don't get me wrong, definitely one of the strongest in NYC. But it is so artificial that they got rid of their traditional medical student base from at least five years ago and spanning several decades to beat out Columbia and Cornell. I think I read NYU is #34 in 2007 online and is now approaching top 10 status.

But what is so great about the "traditional medical school base"?

Maybe that just want to try to get the best applicants (i.e., the ones that resemble or are at least closer to resembling those at Harvard). I don't have a problem with schools trying to get the most desirable applicants that they can.

I also don't think NYU is THAT stats-focused. The average MCAT/GPA is in line with that of its peer schools (basically the entire top 20 is very very similar).

But don't worry - NYU will not be reaching top 10 status anytime soon, if ever. I think they rose in the ranks because of extra funding from the Hurricane but that was a 1-time deal. The top 10 is also just jammed packed with schools that I cannot see going anywhere. Stanford's rise was a special case since Stanford benefits from its overall reputation (i.e., undergrad, Law, Business, Engineering, etc.) and the change in the methodology of the rankings (i.e., I believe doing funding per PI).

I'm not the one that believes that higher stats = better. Tell that to U.S News for reaching that conclusion in their methodology, and NYU, for caring.

NYU is a great school, and it should be above such petty nonsense. It doesn't need these shallow illusions.

Is anyone else joining the webinar?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 3.05.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 3.05.43 PM.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 139
So during the webinar I tried to open my Dropbox folder and failed. Then once it's over, I realized one of my hard drives couldn't be recognized by Windows anymore... I am wondering if it has something with the exe file that automatically downloaded from the link sent by nyu admissions... Anyone else having the same issue?

I was on vacation until today and couldn't post before, but I was also waitlisted around noon on Friday. Complete mid-July, interviewed late September, LizzyM 74, OOS. It's definitely a bummer because I loved NYU on my interview day, but I'm trying to stay positive. At least they chose to waitlist me instead of rejecting me! Not giving up hope until med school orientation begins.

So during the webinar I tried to open my Dropbox folder and failed. Then once it's over, I realized one of my hard drives couldn't be recognized by Windows anymore... I am wondering if it has something with the exe file that automatically downloaded from the link sent by nyu admissions... Anyone else having the same issue?

I guess the golden rule of IT advice of not opening files from strangers applies to medical schools too ;)

Rejected pre-interview, complete in September. Good luck to the rest of you guys.

Does NYU have a second look weekend?

Yes they do. In the Facebook group they said it's April 15-16 and that we should expect more information sometime in mid-February!

Yes they do. In the Facebook group they said it's April 15-16 and that we should expect more information sometime in mid-February!

Did people get invited to a Facebook group? I haven't heard from them about that. I want to know things!

I called and asked what time they expect the waitlist to move: April 30th.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know when decisions about scholarships are released? Also, are scholarships offered regardless of whether you file for financial aid?

Does anyone know when decisions about scholarships are released? Also, are scholarships offered regardless of whether you file for financial aid?

Called today about this. They said merit decisions will be sent out "in the next couple of weeks" and the complete financial aid packages will be sent at the end of March. I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is yes, given that they inform you about merit and need-based separately.

So I read some of the thread last year and they mentioned sending in additional letters of recommendation when on the waitlist. Does anyone know how to go about this? Is there a way to send them through AMCAA again, or should I get a professor to upload a letter through the portal, or maybe use snail mail? What is the protocol here?