2015-2016 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apparently between 7 and 9 merit scholarships went out Friday/Monday (3/18 and 3/21)

It seems like you are very well informed about the process at NYU. Do you have any idea how many students are on the waiting list? Also, my son's stats are very good, 36 MCAT score and 3.95GPA. He felt that his interview went well, his interview was in January. If the only news he as at this point is that he is on the wait list, would you consider it a lost cause? NYU is his first choice, but he is also afraid to send a strong letter of intent since he has no way of knowing what his financial package would look like. Thankfully he has a couple other offers, but he loved NYU and would really like to go there. Any suggestions on how to move the needle would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about financial aid?
I haven't heard anything yet! Anxiously waiting because I would really like to attend NYU but money is unfortunately a big factor

Reactions: 1 user
Did everyone receive this email yesterday from financial aid?

"We are reaching out to inform you that your financial aid packages will be available very soon. Those of you who completed both the Need Access and FAFSA forms will hear from us regarding scholarships, loans, and any other aid you are eligible to receive. If you have questions in the meantime, please feel free to reach out to us via email or phone. Have a great day!!"

"We are reaching out to inform you that your financial aid packages will be available very soon. Those of you who completed both the Need Access and FAFSA forms will hear from us regarding scholarships, loans, and any other aid you are eligible to receive. If you have questions in the meantime, please feel free to reach out to us via email or phone. Have a great day!!"
Yup! If it's anything like the way they communicated with us (like when they tweeted that they were releasing decisions), we'll get our financial aid sometime in June I guess

I didn't get this message, so thank you for posting this! They originally said we should receive aid packages by April 1st and I plan to call the office on Monday if I do not receive anything by then.

Does anyone have an idea when would NYU be opening its program in CAAPID for 2016-1017 cycle?

Has anyone heard about fin aid or called the office?

Yeah I called the office. They said that it's taking them longer than expected to process the information but we should get award letters later this week or Monday of next week at the very latest. I didn't ask about merit scholarships though.

Reactions: 1 users
Waiting for financial aid like...

dolla.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, curious where you got this info? thanks!
A lady from the financial aid office told me. However, apparently more have since gone out, so that number is no longer correct, and I don't have an updated correct number.

I'm hoping someone on here has a solution for me! I got an email saying my financial aid info was ready to view in Albert, but I've never received any information or instruction regarding my NetID for the Albert system. Does anyone know how to log on? Thanks in advance!

I'm hoping someone on here has a solution for me! I got an email saying my financial aid info was ready to view in Albert, but I've never received any information or instruction regarding my NetID for the Albert system. Does anyone know how to log on? Thanks in advance!

I just called the Fin Aid office. Apparently the Admissions Office has not yet sent out NetID info for any accepted applicant yet. The person at Fin Aid said he was working with Admissions to have the NetID info to us by Monday.

I just called the Fin Aid office. Apparently the Admissions Office has not yet sent out NetID info for any accepted applicant yet. The person at Fin Aid said he was working with Admissions to have the NetID info to us by Monday.

Thanks so much! I figured as much. Oh well...

How anticlimactic...

I received my NetID, but to activate the account, it's also asking for my NYU University ID. Does anyone know if we received those yet? I've been searching my inbox...

I have the same question! Please keep us posted if you figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't know if this was already figured out, but I received my NetID and University ID both in the same email... I got the account set up and was able to view my award in just a few minutes!

Reactions: 1 users
Also, for anybody going to second look, I will be getting into New York tomorrow afternoon if anybody would like to meet up tomorrow evening! :)

How was second look? Were there a lot of attendees?
I would say about 60 people. Not sure what their normal attendance rate is. Overall was pretty good, got a good sense of the school, met a ton of students, and explored NYC a little.

I would say about 60 people. Not sure what their normal attendance rate is. Overall was pretty good, got a good sense of the school, met a ton of students, and explored NYC a little.

Thanks! Anything that really stood out?

just withdrew. was a tough call, especially considering unexpectedly great aid from here. GL to all!

Anyone have an update on the expected day for wait list movement?

April 30th is the day that people "must" only be holding one acceptance. Thus, the week or two after April 30th will see the vast majority of the waitlist movement.

April 30th is the day that people "must" only be holding one acceptance. Thus, the week or two after April 30th will see the vast majority of the waitlist movement.
Technically May 2nd this year because April 30 is a Saturday, but the point is the same.

wait this is a recommendation that is not at all enforced?
Not calling myself an AMCAS expert, but I'm fairly certain that all medical schools have to comply completely with the traffic rules (as do all applicants like us). That's part of the agreement that they have with AMCAS.

On a more practical point, I would contact each school that you're on the border about to see if they require a response by 4/30 or by 5/2, but it is supposed to be the latter.

Does MSAR give any stats on how many people on the wait list/ how many people get off of it?

Yup that's all they give you. But you can infer a rough waitlist acceptance count if you find total acceptances vs matriculation numbers. You assume a lot, but it's better than nothing. I thought I remembered seeing a total acceptance number for NYU, but I can't find it now.

Hrm i just find it weird that you have around ~500 people accepted last year and the facebook group this year only has like 200 people in it (including current students)... maybe it's just not being pushed that heavily

Hrm i just find it weird that you have around ~500 people accepted last year and the facebook group this year only has like 200 people in it (including current students)... maybe it's just not being pushed that heavily

Could have something to do with them increasing selectivity/lowering class sizes. Also, the better they are perceived (rankings), I'd imagine the less acceptances they have to give out to secure a matriculating class.

The closer it gets to waitlist movement, the slower time goes. I work myself into a tizzy.

Hopefully something happens this week. Do we know how much they're planning on lowering class sizes? I know it was 132 last year..

From the grapevine, I heard they're aiming for 100 - 115 incoming.

Did anyone on the waitlist hear back?

None here either.

How does NYU know if you're actually on the waitlist? They never sent out a Waitlist Interest questionnaire or had a button to click on the portal to "accept" the waitlist.

Nothing here either. I am expecting it'll take a bit until we hear something from them