2015-2016 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody know what the turnaround time from secondary submission to application processing is running these days?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my MCAT score back today
513 (89% overall), 3.7 sGPA 3.84 cGPA
Received my secondary a few weeks ago, but wasn't thinking I would be competitive with my MCAT score as an OOS applicant

Am I competitive enough with these numbers? My secondary is due tomorrow.. but I'm up for some final cramming if my chances seem decent

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my MCAT score back today
513 (89% overall), 3.7 sGPA 3.84 cGPA
Received my secondary a few weeks ago, but wasn't thinking I would be competitive with my MCAT score as an OOS applicant

Am I competitive enough with these numbers? My secondary is due tomorrow.. but I'm up for some final cramming if my chances seem decent
how bad do you want to go to OHSU? Based in your stats, you barely qualify as part of their oos mission-based group so you have a chance. I am in the same boat as you but I went for it because it really want to go there. If you feel the same way, I say go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted! That took me way too long. Time for a beer.

Reactions: 1 users
II just now! Complete 7/30, IS.

DREAM SCHOOL!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II, IS, dream school. Round 2. See you beautiful people on 9/25.

Reactions: 3 users
So, ummmm I definitely mixed up the primary and secondary application deadlines, went to submit my secondary today and saw that my secondary deadline has passed. OOPS. However, the application still lets me get on and submit.

Is it worth submitting at this point? Has anyone done this before? I'm OOS but am in a mission based group.

Really pissed with myself and have noooo idea how I spaced on this, I LOVE OHSU...I grew up at the bottom of Marquam Hill :(

So, ummmm I definitely mixed up the primary and secondary application deadlines, went to submit my secondary today and saw that my secondary deadline has passed. OOPS. However, the application still lets me get on and submit.

Is it worth submitting at this point? Has anyone done this before? I'm OOS but am in a mission based group.

Really pissed with myself and have noooo idea how I spaced on this, I LOVE OHSU...I grew up at the bottom of Marquam Hill :(
+1

Personally I say yes. You already have a verified AMCAS app. I *think* (not 100%) that would make you a reapplicant if you had to apply again next cycle, even if you don't submit your secondary. Might as well try if it's your dream school! Maybe find a place in the app to write a note of explanation.

Personally I say yes. You already have a verified AMCAS app. I *think* (not 100%) that would make you a reapplicant if you had to apply again next cycle, even if you don't submit your secondary. Might as well try if it's your dream school! Maybe find a place in the app to write a note of explanation.

I guess. The only things is, I'm hesitant to throw out the $100 if they have a computer sorting program that will throw out my app, or if I will automatically be dismissed for being unprofessional... The ONLY reason I'm even still thinking about this is that it was a rolling deadline (4 weeks after the invite), so they are definitely still accepting applications. For some reason I wrote down "Oct 15" as the deadline, which I think is actually the deadline for their primary.

I guess. The only things is, I'm hesitant to throw out the $100 if they have a computer sorting program that will throw out my app, or if I will automatically be dismissed for being unprofessional... The ONLY reason I'm even still thinking about this is that it was a rolling deadline (4 weeks after the invite), so they are definitely still accepting applications. For some reason I wrote down "Oct 15" as the deadline, which I think is actually the deadline for their primary.

Submit it. If you feel the need you can email them a short explanation and apology. The $100 is not worth missing the chance to apply.

I mean, if I were instate and this were my absolute dream school, I'd call this a no-brainer. But I watched a lot of Michael Eisner-era Disney back in the day.

I mean, if I were instate and this were my absolute dream school, I'd call this a no-brainer. But I watched a lot of Michael Eisner-era Disney back in the day.
Ha! Not instate but I have Oregon heritage, which I believe gets me in-state consideration admissions but not for tuition, and I really want to be in Oregon. I think I'll call them and unless they tell me it's an auto-reject I'll go ahead and submit. Are you going to submit, @Mercedes_benzodiazepine?

A phone call explaining your situation may also work, perhaps? That way you could find out whether or not to spend $100. I've called before and the admissions office is very receptive on the phone vs. email.

I think so, but I would want to call them first to hear that I'm not wasting my money. I did the exact same thing, just wrote down the wrong deadline :(. Here's to hoping!

I think so, but I would want to call them first to hear that I'm not wasting my money. I did the exact same thing, just wrote down the wrong deadline :(. Here's to hoping!
Hey FYI---I just spoke with them and was told there are no penalties for submitting past the deadline (??? not sure why the deadline even exists, in that case, but whatever because this is awesome news for me LOL). The lady even offered to extend my deadline for me, but I figured it wasn't necessary since I'm ready to submit and she said everything would go through anyway, AND that there is no penalty. Feel free to call yourself and verify, just wanted to let you know!

Hey FYI---I just spoke with them and was told there are no penalties for submitting past the deadline (??? not sure why the deadline even exists, in that case, but whatever because this is awesome news for me LOL). The lady even offered to extend my deadline for me, but I figured it wasn't necessary since I'm ready to submit and she said everything would go through anyway, AND that there is no penalty. Feel free to call yourself and verify, just wanted to let you know!
Awesome, thanks so much for clarifying!

Dammit! I wish I knew this. I would have taken another day or so...

Oh well! What's done is done.

Does anyone know around what percentage of instate applicants get an II? The waiting is going to stink.

Does anyone know around what percentage of instate applicants get an II? The waiting is going to stink.

Per MSAR:

453 verified in-state apps
271 in-state interviewed
102 in-state matriculants

So ~60% to answer your question

Per MSAR:

453 verified in-state apps
271 in-state interviewed
102 in-state matriculants

So ~60% to answer your question
It may be higher; consider those who may not complete the secondary. (No way to tell those numbers, though)

How long after submitting our secondary that our application get completed?

If I don't get in this cycle, I'm moving to Oregon (Which, is already somewhat the plan, hah).

Last edited:
How long after submitting our secondary that our application get completed?

This question has been asked at least three times in here without any response. I submitted on 8/13 and still haven't been processed, so at least 13 days at this point in the cycle.

II!!! IS resident and dream school for me. Best day of my life. :)

@orapplicant
The LizzyM score is your (GPA x 10) + MCAT score (old score system)
It allows for some (just a little) anonymity while still giving a reference to your stats.

Did you guys get a complete email first? I submitted the 8/11 and portal hasn't shown completed yet - getting a bit anxious. I wonder if the "in state" counts heritage (parents live there/graduated high school there" in those #'s, they say you are "in state" somewhere on the site.

Last edited:
anyyyyyyone?

Still not processed - submitted the 11th - and never even got a submission email (although the portal shows submitted the 11th)

Got offered an interview 8/26! This is my dream school I am so excited and all together horrified. Has anyone tried an MMI course that they felt was helpful?

Did you guys get a complete email first? I submitted the 8/11 and portal hasn't shown completed yet - getting a bit anxious. I wonder if the "in state" counts heritage (parents live there/graduated high school there" in those #'s, they say you are "in state" somewhere on the site.

anyyyyyyone?

Still not processed - submitted the 11th - and never even got a submission email (although the portal shows submitted the 11th)

The only emails I got were for the secondary and the II. Everything else has been on the portal. I'm sure they're swamped with applications right now, I wouldn't worry yet (easier said than done). Your time will come!

Organesha, what have you been using to prepare for MMI

For those wondering about processing time, I submitted on 8/13 and was marked complete on my portal today.

I submitted 8/5 and still not complete. OOS though so maybe that has something to do with it, though I fit 2 of the mission groups.

For those wondering about processing time, I submitted on 8/13 and was marked complete on my portal today.

Did they send you an email telling you that you were complete? Or did you find out by checking portal?

Submitted 8/6, still not complete.

Reactions: 2 users