2015-2016 University of California - Riverside Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Stats
  • As per interview day, about ⅓ of interviewed students are accepted
  • The current class size is 50 students, though UCR hopes to increase this number
2014-2015 Secondary Application (there is a screen)
  1. Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it’s significant. (250 words)
  2. What has been the single MOST unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity in which you participated? (250 words)
  3. What has been the single MOST important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful? (250 words)
  4. Have you received any honors while in college? (250 words)
  5. What is the MOST important honor (one) you have received? Why do you view this as important? (250 words)
  6. What has been your MOST scholarly project (thesis, research, or field of study in basic or clinical sciences or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates, and advisor(s). (250 words)
  7. Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (250 words)
  8. Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.) (250 words)
  9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (250 words)
  10. What is the most important health care issue confronting disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue? (250 words)
  11. IF you think you’re disadvantaged, describe the manner in which your experiences demonstrate your understanding of, and commitment to, underserved communities . Please limit your response to 250 words (250 words)
Important Dates (2014-2015)
First secondary invitation: July 16th, 2014
First pre-secondary rejection: July 15th, 2014 via email
First interview invite: September 5th, 2014 (generally, UCR alums receive IIs later in the cycle)
First post-secondary rejection: September 8th, 2014
First acceptance: Mid-October for the first group of interviewees (in September) no exact dates were reported on SDN. Acceptances are delivered via email.
Post interview rejections are only issued once the class has been filled

Interview
UCR uses the MMI. There are ~10 stations and note-taking is permitted for each station.

Curriculum
2 year preclinical curriculum. Preclinical is pass/fail (see pg. 24). During year 4 students complete a community project, which concludes with a scholarly presentation.

Of Note
  • UCR recruits for students who express a commitment to the Inland Empire and/or underserved regions in California, though this is not a requirement.
  • Up to one-half of the class (24 spots) can be reserved for UCR alumni. Historically, <24 students have been UCR alums.
  • UCR scholarships include the Mission Award, which grants up to 6 students full-tuition support in exchange for pledging to serve in Inland SoCal for 5 years following residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all I'm a current first year heading into second year. If you have any questions about the program I would be more than willing to help! You can post here or pm. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all I'm a current first year heading into second year. If you have any questions about the program I would be more than willing to help! You can post here or pm. Good luck everyone!
Hey, just a basic question. How has your experience been so far? Do you like UCR?

Are UC's strict on their maximum 5 letters of recommendation policy? (from MSAR)

Secondary received!!! Ecstatic!

Reactions: 1 user
Does your application fee say $70 instead of $80 in the actual portal? I mean, I wouldn't mind saving $10. One extra Chipotle burrito...
Yep, it's showing $70 here, too.

Would one of you mind posting the questions for this year? Still not verified... Thanks!

Would one of you mind posting the questions for this year? Still not verified... Thanks!
The questions are identical to last year's (second post in this thread).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think they send secondaries in batches? This is my first choice and haven't gotten secondary yet. I'm at about average gpa and above MCAT too, so I don't think I should be screened out?

Do you think they send secondaries in batches? This is my first choice and haven't gotten secondary yet. I'm at about average gpa and above MCAT too, so I don't think I should be screened out?

I fall well below their 10th GPA percentile ( > than 3.0, nonetheless), but my MCAT is around their 90th percentile. California resident, but no connection to the Inland Empire. I did express a strong interest in primary care and serving disadvantaged populations in my AMCAS application, however. They do mention in the secondary invitation email that they think I would be a good fit for their program, so they probably place a premium on fit.

Last edited:
I fall well below their 10th GPA percentile ( > than 3.0, nonetheless), but my MCAT is around their 90th percentile. California resident, but no connection to the Inland Empire. I did express a strong interested in primary care and serving disadvantaged populations in my AMCAS application, however. They do mention in the secondary invitation email that they think I would be a good fit for their program, so they probably place a premium on fit.

That's sort of what scares me. I felt like my whole app pretty much fit their mission..so hopefully I don't get screened out. All of my activities are also in the IE haha i hope they just haven't gotten to me yet

That's sort of what scares me. I felt like my whole app pretty much fit their mission..so hopefully I don't get screened out. All of my activities are also in the IE haha i hope they just haven't gotten to me yet

I'm sure they send out in batches. I can't imagine them having even been able to review all of our verified applications yet at this point! I was verified on June 24, btw.

+1 secondary! First UC secondary thus far :) Verified 6/17, LizzyM 71.

For honors, if i didnt really have any specific honor, can i put provost honors every quarter or something like magna cum larde? What about national member of Alpha Epsilon delta pre health honors society ?

For the question on most scholarly project, would a poster presentation work? Or a project for a class, even if I didn't really have an advisor?

How selective is the screen for secondaries at UCR?

Hey, just a basic question. How has your experience been so far? Do you like UCR?
Sorry about the late reply! Time has been flying and I have been doing the summer externship. My experience has been amazing at UCR. With the small class size, you really cant put a price on knowing each and every one of your classmates on a personal level. This makes working in high stress situations more effective. Also the curriculum is system based and is identical to UCLA's curriculum (we even have the same titled PBLs lol). The administration is very receptive to our feedback and works closely with us. This helps build a collaboration with them that is beneficial in the future. I had choices when I was accepted and I never regretted choosing UCR. The clinical component also has you working with patients within the first two weeks. By the end of my first year, I had learned clinical skills that many of my peers at other institutions only saw via shadowing. If you are primary care oriented, this school is fantastic for you. If you are not, this school is fantastic for you. We have launched two centers recently under UCR Health, a neurosurgery one and a plastic surgery one, so specialities are abundant. I personally want to specialize, possibly sub-specialize and I feel UCR is preparing me very well for it. The idea of training medical students with a foundation in primary care is brilliant because having that foundation is invaluable in any speciality you pick in the future. Our faculty have been also teaching pre-clinical classes for over 30+ years thanks to the Haider program with UCR/UCLA, so its a true and tested curriculum. Our USMLE scores are higher than the national average (we should know our most recent scores soon). The clinical rotations are at various hospitals throughout different regions. One thing I can say about UCR is that you work with a population that not only is in dire need of health care, but also that are excited to have the medical school in the community. I am from San Diego and I have found Riverside to be welcoming. I apologize if I was bouncing around :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Are UC's strict on their maximum 5 letters of recommendation policy? (from MSAR)
Spector1, I am not sure on it. I sent in a committee letter because my institution offered it. Best way to find out is either to email or call them. Tammy or Cheri are wonderful people and would be happy to help. Personally, I had 5 letters submitted but 7 written for me. This allowed my pre-medical advisor to pick the best 5 out of the 7, which is quite advantageous. Good luck :)

I wouldn't worry! It takes awhile to sort through the thousands of applicants. Once you get the secondary, make sure to work on it effectively and turn it in as soon as you can :)

Last edited:
For honors, if i didnt really have any specific honor, can i put provost honors every quarter or something like magna cum larde? What about national member of Alpha Epsilon delta pre health honors society ?
For my application, I put down magna cum laude as well. I also put down my membership in national honor societies (so Alpha Epsilon Delta would count) and also mentioned academic and service awards I received from my home institution. I just looked at my secondary (2013-2014) and it has the same questions. For the honor societies section, I pretty much listed out the various honors in sentences rather than bullet points. Hope this helps!

For the question on most scholarly project, would a poster presentation work? Or a project for a class, even if I didn't really have an advisor?
Absolutely for poster presentation. Anything that advances your understanding in a particular field is fair game. For mine, I talked about a lab I was in during the gap year (started in the lab when I applied so when I wrote the secondary I was in there for a few months). You can also write about a senior thesis (I made a small mention of it and my friends have done this). When you gave the poster presentation, was it at a conference? If so you may have an abstract published which you can also mention :)

Sorry for the load of replies all at once! Although I found the secondary writing to be dreadful, it really was an exciting experience looking back at it. Make sure to write your best essays, don't rush, get readers, and really show them who you are. They are mission based, but it doesn't mean you need to be from the inland empire or necessarily have connections (I didn't) or have concrete aspirations for primary care (I didn't). What I did focus on was my desire to become a patient advocate and expand health care access, which are primary care characteristics that I believe every speciality should be striving for. Feel free to ask more questions :)

Last edited:
I fall well below their 10th GPA percentile ( > than 3.0, nonetheless), but my MCAT is around their 90th percentile. California resident, but no connection to the Inland Empire. I did express a strong interest in primary care and serving disadvantaged populations in my AMCAS application, however. They do mention in the secondary invitation email that they think I would be a good fit for their program, so they probably place a premium on fit.
We definitely have students in our classes that hang around the extreme percentiles. And you are absolutely right they do place a premium on fit.

If you remotely fit their mission, I am sure they will send you a secondary.

Absolutely for poster presentation. Anything that advances your understanding in a particular field is fair game. For mine, I talked about a lab I was in during the gap year (started in the lab when I applied so when I wrote the secondary I was in there for a few months). You can also write about a senior thesis (I made a small mention of it and my friends have done this). When you gave the poster presentation, was it at a conference? If so you may have an abstract published which you can also mention :)

Thanks so much for your help!

Is anyone else having issues paying? I tried submitting using a credit card but it just takes me to the processing menu and then there's no transaction ID.

im going to assume that a "no" scholastic honors is a death sentence. it was a nice dream.

In the activities section. What if the activity is still on going ? (The website forces to put down an end date). Should I just put down a date that I plan to end this activity in the future ?................... This kinda goes the same for the hours, should I put down the hours accumulated up to this point ?

In the activities section. What if the activity is still on going ? (The website forces to put down an end date). Should I just put down a date that I plan to end this activity in the future ?................... This kinda goes the same for the hours, should I put down the hours accumulated up to this point ?

I assume it's like AMCAS, where you would put your graduation date as the end date for college ECs and stuff like that. I don't know about the hours thing though.

im going to assume that a "no" scholastic honors is a death sentence. it was a nice dream.
Absolutely not a death sentence. There are classmates of mine that did not graduate with honors. Honors is more than just scholastic achievement. It can be a service achievement award or maybe a clinical service award (I put those two down on the application).

I remember having this problem as well. Best to call them and ask but if I had to guess maybe it's your anticipated amount of hours. Nothing too insane like having 10,000 hours accumulated over 6 months :D

Keep the questions coming! :) I remember how helpful it was to have a student answer questions when I was deciding on which school to attend to

@general987 Are there many non-traditional students at Riverside? I'll be in my late 20s by the time I matriculate...

Also, any word if the class size is expanding to 100 students for the 2016 entering class?

@general987 Are there many non-traditional students at Riverside? I'll be in my late 20s by the time I matriculate...

Also, any word if the class size is expanding to 100 students for the 2016 entering class?
There are quite a few students that are non traditional in the class. With a rough estimate, I would say about 15 are in late 20s with some turning 30 this year. We have a good amount with other advanced degrees and worked other careers (like teachers) before coming to medical school. In all honesty I think these types of students are our top ones. We have other students who are in their mid 30s as well. As for the class size, there are rumors, but then again it's rumors that they may expand to 65 for your entering class. But it's been neither confirmed or denied. It is an exciting time though because our first class is going through clinical rotations now so they may expand since they are in the hospital all the time.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (250 words)
For this question, would it be appropriate to write about what specialty we are interested in? Or are they looking for something more general?

Absolutely not a death sentence. There are classmates of mine that did not graduate with honors. Honors is more than just scholastic achievement. It can be a service achievement award or maybe a clinical service award (I put those two down on the application).

But isn't that Essay Box under the sub-heading "Scholastic Activities?"

So just putting down any honor/award during college would count?

P.S. thank you for the encouragement.

"Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it’s significant."
I know this seems a straightfoward question, but I am not exactly sure what to write. Are they asking for anything that is not school/research related ? In the application, they ask you to list and rank your ECs right above this question. Since most of the ECs we list are pre-med activities (ie. volunteering, clinical), volunteering and clinical are technically non-academic....... SO, are they asking us to pick one from the list ? or they just want to know you in general, so you can put your hobbies like playing an instrument, etc ?

"Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it’s significant."
I know this seems a straightfoward question, but I am not exactly sure what to write. Are they asking for anything that is not school/research related ? In the application, they ask you to list and rank your ECs right above this question. Since most of the ECs we list are pre-med activities (ie. volunteering, clinical), volunteering and clinical are technically non-academic....... SO, are they asking us to pick one from the list ? or they just want to know you in general, so you can put your hobbies like playing an instrument, etc ?
I described an experience completely unrelated to my ECs and threw in a bit about how it led me to medicine. So I think a significant hobby could work because it seems so open-ended, but that's just my interpretation.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (250 words)
For this question, would it be appropriate to write about what specialty we are interested in? Or are they looking for something more general?
You could speak about what specialty you are interested in. This can also be an avenue for you to express what you see yourself doing beyond the traditional clinical realm. Some people I know used this piece to also describe how they wish to be advocates for patients beyond the clinical realm on a state or federal level. Some also describe how they plan to innovate the field whether that be by research or other means. It really is up to you. But the most important thing is to back up these claims. A huge mistake would be to say you want to become a primary care physician for underserved communities and advocate on their behalf, but only have experiences shadowing a surgeon in an affluent area. The desire doesn't match the experiences. So whatever your statement is, make sure its supported. Hope that helps!

But isn't that Essay Box under the sub-heading "Scholastic Activities?"

So just putting down any honor/award during college would count?

P.S. thank you for the encouragement.
For the honors one, you can put down, at least in my opinion, any award you received in college. I spoke about some of the honor societies I was inducted in that didn't have a strict GPA requirement (one of them was a more service oriented society and had a GPA requirement of 3.2, which is definitely not honors). For mine, not only did I list the honor and award, but I also spoke of why it was important and how it overall fit my theme of becoming a physician. I also had friends speak of receiving the most dedicated award for their clinical internship. It really depends what you define it as. Hope this helps!

For this one, I put down a hobby/sport on it. I was involved in a sport that is non traditional for the past 8 years and I spoke about its significance to my life, as well as the impact it had on my philosophy towards medicine. For example, I spoke about the discipline and patience it teaches and reinforces and how that taught me to be disciplined towards my work by having a good work ethic and how patience can be used to really understand a patient and allow you as the provider to view them with a more whole person perspective (whole person is taking non-clinical factors such as socioeconomic status, culture, urban/rural/suburban upbringing, etc.).

As for the ranking, I wouldn't stress too much about it because its so subjective. Make sure the experience you speak of is in the ranking though and relatively high up on it.

Last edited: