2025-2026 UC Riverside

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good points thanks. I'm not a haider so i'll defer to you for the word around UCR

If they did cap the Haider-program like this, I would speculate and say that the program is somewhat outdated then. Perhaps one decade ago when UCR-SOM was formed, there weren't enough pre-med students who grew up in the Inland Empire. Now, however, there are hundreds of IE natives who apply each year. (a bit over 300 according to CUSM application data, assuming that MD applicants to UCR also apply to CUSM). With a pool that large, perhaps UCR wants to prioritize those natives as they have a 10 years of data to show who will stay in the inland empire. This would then result in what you have said, where they accept the minimum amount of Haider in a VERY long cycle, while WL everyone else, and then leaving the rest of the slots for traditional applicants. If they can find enough strong applicants who are mission fit and from the IE, i'm not sure why the Haider program should even still exist.
Completely agree
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel the same!! Feels like just more waiting at this point. I think about 40 from a waitlist of 150
i always wonder if the real waitlist number is smaller than 150 because some people will get into other schools and choose them or drop the waitlist. Is there secretly higher than a 35% chance?
 
Are they known for late Rs? I am assuming since I never received an ii that its an R, but I figured I would hear from them sooner since its April now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I see what you’re saying but I was thinking it would be the opposite since most private schools have more money to give more scholarships.
If true, that would be the case every year before, factored in already, so I wouldn't call it a "push" towards less people choosing UCR SOM this year.

I hestitate on the idea there would be more money for scholarships this year. It seems to me that because of economic conditions and policy unstability, schools would be more fiscally conservative.

What we know is that public UC's are around 40k tution and other private are around 60-75k. These numbers aren't "linear" because they can be the difference between having to get private loans vs only the 50k subsidized government loans. Nonetheless, I share your hope that all accepted applicants also happen to be UCSF or UCLA acceptees LOL.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wasn't able to make the open house. Can anyone share any info pls! Particularly about waitlist if possible 🙂
The event was actually open to the public (which I didn't know lol), so there was a big turnout, including undergrad and high school students with their families. Most of the event was just general information entailing the school's mission, what it looks like applying to med school, how to apply etc. They did offer a tour of their simulation labs which was pretty cool. Also gave a quick demonstration of standardized patient interactions. They did have a panel at the end with current medical students. Most of the questions were your generic "what's the transition like from undergrad to med school, how do you manage your time, how do you ground yourself," etc. One fellow waitlister/attendee did ask the dean of UCR SOM if there would be any updates for the waitlist / how to maximize your chances. The dean was pretty conservative in her answer, stating just to keep waiting and that there isn't much else you can do. Another adcom member did mention those critical dates of April 15th and 30th, and to be on the lookout after that. Other than that, it was really nice to see the campus. I spoke with the dean personally to see whether UCR will be offering the IEHP scholarship for the upcoming class despite the huge cuts in Medi-Cal due to BBB. She told me she is actually going to do some networking this week and advocate for the scholarship program to be returned, which is good news to us IE locals 😀 (although there is still no certainty).
 
The event was actually open to the public (which I didn't know lol), so there was a big turnout, including undergrad and high school students with their families. Most of the event was just general information entailing the school's mission, what it looks like applying to med school, how to apply etc. They did offer a tour of their simulation labs which was pretty cool. Also gave a quick demonstration of standardized patient interactions. They did have a panel at the end with current medical students. Most of the questions were your generic "what's the transition like from undergrad to med school, how do you manage your time, how do you ground yourself," etc. One fellow waitlister/attendee did ask the dean of UCR SOM if there would be any updates for the waitlist / how to maximize your chances. The dean was pretty conservative in her answer, stating just to keep waiting and that there isn't much else you can do. Another adcom member did mention those critical dates of April 15th and 30th, and to be on the lookout after that. Other than that, it was really nice to see the campus. I spoke with the dean personally to see whether UCR will be offering the IEHP scholarship for the upcoming class despite the huge cuts in Medi-Cal due to BBB. She told me she is actually going to do some networking this week and advocate for the scholarship program to be returned, which is good news to us IE locals 😀 (although there is still no certainty).
Awesome thanks for the details!!
 
Not yet. The person who called me said that they will soon. Hopefully today haha
Yes, hopefully today! Having it in writing makes it feel official. Did they tell you how long you have to decide? I read that some schools only give you 48 hours to accept the offer, so make sure you keep checking your portal. Congrats again!
 
Last edited:
Yes, hopefully today! Having it in writing makes it feel official. Did they tell you how long you have to decide? I read that some schools only give you 48 hours to accept the offer, so make sure you keep checking your portal. Congrats again!
No she did not say anything about that. I’m guessing it will be in the email.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad