2015-2016 University of California - Riverside Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I described an experience completely unrelated to my ECs and threw in a bit about how it led me to medicine. So I think a significant hobby could work because it seems so open-ended, but that's just my interpretation.
Absolutely agree with you!

Members don't see this ad.

For the question about the most important honor that you've received, what if I've only received academic honors, such as dean's list/summa/magna/cum laude, etc? I don't really view it as important, and even if I did, I'd have a really difficult time explaining that in more than 2 sentences.... :(

For this one, I put down a hobby/sport on it. I was involved in a sport that is non traditional for the past 8 years and I spoke about its significance to my life, as well as the impact it had on my philosophy towards medicine. For example, I spoke about the discipline and patience it teaches and reinforces and how that taught me to be disciplined towards my work by having a good work ethic and how patience can be used to really understand a patient and allow you as the provider to view them with a more whole person perspective (whole person is taking non-clinical factors such as socioeconomic status, culture, urban/rural/suburban upbringing, etc.).

As for the ranking, I wouldn't stress too much about it because its so subjective. Make sure the experience you speak of is in the ranking though and relatively high up on it.

About your last sentence. How did you list your hobby/sport in terms of the activity type ? (community service, leadership, research, clinical) . I talked about playing an instrument as a hobby and how it relates to medicine, but I didn't really list it as an activity.(If I do list it, I am not sure which type it falls into)

Members don't see this ad :)
For the question about the most important honor that you've received, what if I've only received academic honors, such as dean's list/summa/magna/cum laude, etc? I don't really view it as important, and even if I did, I'd have a really difficult time explaining that in more than 2 sentences.... :(
This is where you need to be clever :) find a way it relates. Maybe the tenets of scholarship are important to medicine or your institution. See if you can expand it.

About your last sentence. How did you list your hobby/sport in terms of the activity type ? (community service, leadership, research, clinical) . I talked about playing an instrument as a hobby and how it relates to medicine, but I didn't really list it as an activity.(If I do list it, I am not sure which type it falls into)
What are the categories that you can list it under? Or are those the ones you typed out? I listed mine I believe as a leadership because I taught the hobby to others.

Does UC Riverside look at the activities section of the AMCAS primary application? I'm just trying to figure out how much information I can repeat/how much context to give when describing activities on the secondary that I have already described in-depth on the primary.

Does UC Riverside look at the activities section of the AMCAS primary application? I'm just trying to figure out how much information I can repeat/how much context to give when describing activities on the secondary that I have already described in-depth on the primary.
I imagine they do because they have referenced about it after the interviews with me. Even though I was repeating my activities quite a bit, I was showing them each time in a different light that showed their contribution to the overall theme I had. One activity I had when applying was explained as an impactful experience in 5 different ways depending on the context and the parameters in the questions.

2015-2016 Secondary

Everything is 250 word limit.

Describe the single MOST important event or non-academic activity in your life and explain why it’s significant.

What has been the single MOST unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the single MOST important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

Have you received any honors while in college?

What is the MOST important honor (one) you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your MOST scholarly project (thesis, research, or field of study in basic or clinical sciences or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates, and advisor(s).

Describe a major problem you have had to deal with at some time in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

What is the most important health care issue confronting disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue?

PERSONAL STATEMENT: Your personal statement from the AMCAS application will be used in our admissions process. You do not need to duplicate it here. At your option, you may use this space to provide any further information you may want us to consider in addition to the AMCAS personal statement. THIS IS NOT MANDATORY.

If you're not disadvantaged, do you fill out the hardship question?? I'm not quite sure what to say as I've been pretty lucky in life so far... =\.

If you're not disadvantaged, do you fill out the hardship question?? I'm not quite sure what to say as I've been pretty lucky in life so far... =\.
I think I'm going to use it as one of those "adversity" prompts for hardships that might not necessarily fall under disadvantaged status (I marked 'no' for that one as well).

In other news, why won't they take Visa? I don't really have any other means of paying them :laugh:

I think I'm going to use it as one of those "adversity" prompts for hardships that might not necessarily fall under disadvantaged status (I marked 'no' for that one as well).

In other news, why won't they take Visa? I don't really have any other means of paying them :laugh:

But isn't that a bit redundant as the question right above that asks about a challenge in your life and how you overcome it?

Members don't see this ad :)
But isn't that a bit redundant as the question right above that asks about a challenge in your life and how you overcome it?
Not necessarily. The challenge in your life can be a point where you learned from a mistake you made or an adversity placed upon you. For the hardship, you can speak of why your grades may have slipped a bit one semester (because of X y z). Hope that helps!

Sorry about the late reply! Time has been flying and I have been doing the summer externship. My experience has been amazing at UCR. With the small class size, you really cant put a price on knowing each and every one of your classmates on a personal level. This makes working in high stress situations more effective. Also the curriculum is system based and is identical to UCLA's curriculum (we even have the same titled PBLs lol). The administration is very receptive to our feedback and works closely with us. This helps build a collaboration with them that is beneficial in the future. I had choices when I was accepted and I never regretted choosing UCR. The clinical component also has you working with patients within the first two weeks. By the end of my first year, I had learned clinical skills that many of my peers at other institutions only saw via shadowing. If you are primary care oriented, this school is fantastic for you. If you are not, this school is fantastic for you. We have launched two centers recently under UCR Health, a neurosurgery one and a plastic surgery one, so specialities are abundant. I personally want to specialize, possibly sub-specialize and I feel UCR is preparing me very well for it. The idea of training medical students with a foundation in primary care is brilliant because having that foundation is invaluable in any speciality you pick in the future. Our faculty have been also teaching pre-clinical classes for over 30+ years thanks to the Haider program with UCR/UCLA, so its a true and tested curriculum. Our USMLE scores are higher than the national average (we should know our most recent scores soon). The clinical rotations are at various hospitals throughout different regions. One thing I can say about UCR is that you work with a population that not only is in dire need of health care, but also that are excited to have the medical school in the community. I am from San Diego and I have found Riverside to be welcoming. I apologize if I was bouncing around :)
I meant to say thanks for all this info earlier, it's always nice to get some insider info :) it's giving me the motivation to finish this b345t of a secondary. UCR is not kidding around, ha

Reactions: 1 user
I meant to say thanks for all this info earlier, it's always nice to get some insider info :) it's giving me the motivation to finish this b345t of a secondary. UCR is not kidding around, ha
Always a pleasure to help! I always loved hearing from an insider and this is my way of helping out too. But you are right, UCR doesn't kid around with it. But it really allows you to show many dimensions of your character to them vs the dreaded "is there anything you haven't listed yet" questions some secondaries have. Keep pushing! :)

For the question on the secondary "Has your education been continuous since graduation from high school?", should I answer Yes or No if I am a non-trad? I went directly to college after high school, and graduated in the traditional four years. I then worked for a few years before doing a DIY postbac to finish my prereqs and raise my GPA.

Also, if I did a DIY postbacc to finish prereqs and raise my GPA several years after getting my bachelors degree, should I include the institution where I did my postbacc under the undergraduate institutions attended on the Education section?

About this question: Have you received any honors while in college?

I honestly cannot think of any honors I received in college! I did receive a College Dean's Fellowship to do research over the summer, but I turned it down to do another research program. Can I still list that I was awarded the fellowship, even if I didn't take it?

For honors, can I list the summer research programs I did? One program was NSF-REU, and the other program was Amgen Scholars. Are these considered as "honors"? The programs are definitely competitive to get into, but I view them as summer research programs, not necessarily "honors." :(

Hey everyone!

I am an incoming MS1 to UCR. Feel free to also ask me any questions. I know how stressful this time can be!

Good luck to everyone!

Submitted and complete!

What has been your MOST scholarly project (thesis, research, or field of study in basic or clinical sciences or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates, and advisor(s).

I was unfortunately unable to take part in any research while in college :( Should I explain why for this question? Or leave it blank...

Regarding this question: What has been the single MOST unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity in which you participated? (250 words)

Can I write about playing the piano? I didn't play in an official musical group in college, but in high school, I played in my school's orchestra, and I did an association's piano tests and theory exams every year. I did the top level that they offered and participated in some recitals for the association. It's not really unique though, because almost every piano student in California does this. It was also all the way back in high school, though I still play the piano for my own enjoyment. Can I write about doing that in high school, and how playing the piano has helped me develop personally and artistically all the way up until now? It grew my love of classical music, which is one of my hobbies. Can I write about playing the piano from a personal/hobby point of view for this prompt?

I can't really think of anything else to write. :(

I would personally avoid talking about high school activities unless the prompt specifically asks for pre-collegiate things like UCSDs does. You could mention it to give a sense of how long you have been playing but I would focus on how it affected you during your college years.

Thanks for the advice! Do you think it would be OK to say how it helped me to develop my perseverance through hours of practicing and how playing music helps me calm down and destress? I don't have any awards from college nor did I play in any groups, though I do occasionally like to play just for myself. I guess it has been a big part of who I am, though I don't pursue it outside of just for personal reasons.

I was unfortunately unable to take part in any research while in college :( Should I explain why for this question? Or leave it blank...

I did minimal research as well in undergrad and when I did the secondary last year I focused on a final research paper I did for an upper division English class. Don't leave any questions blank unless the prompt says the question is optional!

Regarding this question: What has been the single MOST unique leadership, entrepreneurial, or creative activity in which you participated? (250 words)

Can I write about playing the piano? I didn't play in an official musical group in college, but in high school, I played in my school's orchestra, and I did an association's piano tests and theory exams every year. I did the top level that they offered and participated in some recitals for the association. It's not really unique though, because almost every piano student in California does this. It was also all the way back in high school, though I still play the piano for my own enjoyment. Can I write about doing that in high school, and how playing the piano has helped me develop personally and artistically all the way up until now? It grew my love of classical music, which is one of my hobbies. Can I write about playing the piano from a personal/hobby point of view for this prompt?

I can't really think of anything else to write. :(

The key word with this question is "unique". I am going to be honest and say that potentially many other applicants may write about a musical instrument. Are there any leadership activities that you participated? And I would stray away from writing about a high school experience unless it was monumental.

In the activities section where they ask to list your most important extracurricular interests and activities, in the "Descriptions" text box do you just put what activity it was, or do you actually have to give a description of it? For example, say I was a peer tutor in college would i just put "Peer Tutor," or would I have to give a description as to why it affected my personal growth?

In the activities section where they ask to list your most important extracurricular interests and activities, in the "Descriptions" text box do you just put what activity it was, or do you actually have to give a description of it? For example, say I was a peer tutor in college would i just put "Peer Tutor," or would I have to give a description as to why it affected my personal growth?
If I recall correctly, I don't think it's a long text about it. But I would call the office to double check. The rest of the secondary should let you explain why everything was critical to your development.

For the question on the secondary "Has your education been continuous since graduation from high school?", should I answer Yes or No if I am a non-trad? I went directly to college after high school, and graduated in the traditional four years. I then worked for a few years before doing a DIY postbac to finish my prereqs and raise my GPA.
It's a bit gray zone but I think you are considered non trad because you worked in a different career and came back to get the pre-reqs done. Plus with being non trad it can give you leeway on some things on your application. We have a good amount of non trads in my class. They are some of the most inspirational and level headed people I have ever met.

Also, if I did a DIY postbacc to finish prereqs and raise my GPA several years after getting my bachelors degree, should I include the institution where I did my postbacc under the undergraduate institutions attended on the Education section?
Yes because that was undergrad classes

It's a bit gray zone but I think you are considered non trad because you worked in a different career and came back to get the pre-reqs done. Plus with being non trad it can give you leeway on some things on your application. We have a good amount of non trads in my class. They are some of the most inspirational and level headed people I have ever met.

So I should mark that my education has NOT been continuous since high school? If it makes a difference, the only pre-reqs I needed to finish were 2 semesters of biology lab and a physics lab. The rest were advanced biology classes like anatomy, microbiology, etc.

P.S. I've been working on this secondary since Thursday, albeit with a whole lot of procrastination. This is by far the longest secondary I've done. At this point, I'm just copying and pasting for most of the questions and not really giving careful thought to all of the questions. I think I'm burning out. :(

So I should mark that my education has NOT been continuous since high school? If it makes a difference, the only pre-reqs I needed to finish were 2 semesters of biology lab and a physics lab. The rest were advanced biology classes like anatomy, microbiology, etc.
Yeah it's a tad hard because it is gray zone. Call them up on Monday to ask.

P.S. I've been working on this secondary since Thursday, albeit with a whole lot of procrastination. This is by far the longest secondary I've done. At this point, I'm just copying and pasting for most of the questions and not really giving careful thought to all of the questions. I think I'm burning out. :(
I would advise against that. When you write original ideas for each of these paragraphs, you demonstrate a sense of commitment and care. When you copy and paste, it may not fit exactly into the prompt nor be geared toward UCR. UCR is a mission heavy school, and recently we just got the scores back for USMLE and we scored higher than the national average. We took the road of recruiting those mission heavy. This succeeded and we maintained the high scores we had from the Haider program. With that said, taking the extra time to write will make you stand out and potentially have you join this amazing institution. Don't give up this is the easiest part. Boards on the other hand... :)

About this question: Have you received any honors while in college?

I honestly cannot think of any honors I received in college! I did receive a College Dean's Fellowship to do research over the summer, but I turned it down to do another research program. Can I still list that I was awarded the fellowship, even if I didn't take it?

For honors, can I list the summer research programs I did? One program was NSF-REU, and the other program was Amgen Scholars. Are these considered as "honors"? The programs are definitely competitive to get into, but I view them as summer research programs, not necessarily "honors." :(

I wouldn't view them as honors either. If you haven't mentioned them already I suppose you can put it in the honors section. But did you receive any deans list or enrolled into any honor societies or won awards? Like student service awards?

This is where you will have to be clever. Have you done a research paper for a class that went into a topic in depth? Did it involve literature review? Did you have a senior project for your respective major?

I wouldn't view them as honors either. If you haven't mentioned them already I suppose you can put it in the honors section. But did you receive any deans list or enrolled into any honor societies or won awards? Like student service awards?

I listed these research programs as activities in my primary. My school does not have a dean's list and my GPA was too low for any honor societies. (I think that's how you get into honor societies?) I didn't get any latin honors either, due to my low GPA. I didn't participate in any service in college, unfortunately. I have "awards" for community service, but that's from more recent (I'm a non-trad). Thanks for the ideas and trying to help. I think I'm going to list these research fellowships since it's the only thing I've got. :(

I listed these research programs as activities in my primary. My school does not have a dean's list and my GPA was too low for any honor societies. (I think that's how you get into honor societies?) I didn't get any latin honors either, due to my low GPA. I didn't participate in any service in college, unfortunately. I have "awards" for community service, but that's from more recent (I'm a non-trad). Thanks for the ideas and trying to help. I think I'm going to list these research fellowships since it's the only thing I've got. :(
The awards for community service would be good actually. Make sure to go into specifics of why it was important for you and how that will translate into the clinic. Don't give up keep fighting :)

The awards for community service would be good actually. Make sure to go into specifics of why it was important for you and how that will translate into the clinic. Don't give up keep fighting :)

Thanks! The only thing is, I did this activity a few years after college, and the question asks specifically about honors from college.

Just to clarify, "
Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)"

Is this question mandatory...? I assume not everyone has a specific hardship to write about, and it seems rather open-ended since it is asked in a way that suggests "let us know if you have one."

Has anyone else's application have a little lock on it that says "Not scheduled yet" or something? AHHH stop teasing me UCR you naughty school. :( I think I'm overthinking it lol...

Has anyone else's application have a little lock on it that says "Not scheduled yet" or something? AHHH stop teasing me UCR you naughty school. :( I think I'm overthinking it lol...
Mine does... Not sure it means anything...
Does anyone who is complete not have that?

For the Activities section of the secondary, are we entering all 15 of the activities we had in our primary application? I only see 4 options for Activity Type (clinical, research, leadership and community service). What do we put for the activities that fall outside of these 4 categories?

Mine does... Not sure it means anything...
Does anyone who is complete not have that?

I think deep down I know it probably just means I'm under review. (But hey, it's like when you've got a crush on someone, you overanalyze every interaction..hahaha. Or at least, I do that..)

I think deep down I know it probably just means I'm under review. (But hey, it's like when you've got a crush on someone, you overanalyze every interaction..hahaha. Or at least, I do that..)
Lol such a teaser though.... hate when crushes do that without wanting anything.

You're right but stay hopeful!