2015-2016 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Adding this one to my long list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What stands out to you about this university?

Just graduated from here, staying for residency. The med school program has fabulous and abundant research opportunities in all areas and the clinical training is excellent. Location is good as you get some of the advantages of a city (cultural attractions, tasty restaurants, hipster scene if that is your thing) with a much, much lower price (see: COL) than programs in NYC, Boston, DC, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
applying here as a reach school :)

Also a reach school for me! I would be happy to even get an interview invite. Good luck to everyone applying!

Anyone know if the 250 word count for each prompt is recommended or a hard limit? I'm pre-writing for the "challenging problem" prompt and I'm running out of spance, lol. I talk about the experience in great detail and my current essay does not include much reflection--just really me telling them about the circumstance and how I resolved it, nothing on what I learned, etc. Idk if that's okay.

Anyone know if the 250 word count for each prompt is recommended or a hard limit? I'm pre-writing for the "challenging problem" prompt and I'm running out of spance, lol. I talk about the experience in great detail and my current essay does not include much reflection--just really me telling them about the circumstance and how I resolved it, nothing on what I learned, etc. Idk if that's okay.
I'm treating secondary essay word counts as hard limits. Don't give them the fridge when they just want a soda.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm treating secondary essay word counts as hard limits. Don't give them the fridge when they just want a soda.
Thanks! That is my self-imposed rule too, I'm just second-guessing how I'm answering this prompt.

Just keep editing. Treat word counts as hard limits.

Quick question-have you already received a secondary or are you prewriting? I thought the AMCAS primary wasn't headed out for a few days but I came to this process a bit late and may be clueless. Apologies if this should be obvious.

Quick question-have you already received a secondary or are you prewriting? I thought the AMCAS primary wasn't headed out for a few days but I came to this process a bit late and may be clueless. Apologies if this should be obvious.
No worries! I'm pre-writing, as the previous years' prompts for Pitt have stayed the same and are similar to prompts for other schools as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the secondary about 10 minutes ago.

Same prompts as last year:
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

2. UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)

Last edited:
Also received secondary, will submit later today.

I can do the challenge essay two ways: talk about a difficult year in my life, or talk about one recently challenging situation at work. Which would be better? I have essays prepared for both

I can do the challenge essay two ways: talk about a difficult year in my life, or talk about one recently challenging situation at work. Which would be better? I have essays prepared for both

I would probably do the challenging situation unless the difficult year was because of a single problem that you responded to really well. Just because it seems to want a focus on an individual problem.

When entering in the coursework, do you only enter the required ones or do we need to add in upper level courses we took in biology as well?

Also for coursework, do we enter semester hours as AMCAS had converted them or as it appears on our transcript?

When entering in the coursework, do you only enter the required ones or do we need to add in upper level courses we took in biology as well?

Looking for this answer too. If we have enough courses taken, should we fill all of the available lines? Or just enough to show we have completed everything?

^I did the latter, based on what I understood from the instructions. They do say that they understand that schools have different ways of naming courses and such, and that the coursework section would make it easier for them to "understand that you have met the requirements for entrance."

Also, I just checked my status and it says they've received my letters. I just submitted this morning - should I be expecting the "complete" e-mail soon?

Yea, rereading the directions I agree, they can look at the transcript for all the other classes, I think they just want the requirements.

Did anyone receive a complete notification after submitting the secondary?

For the question about how we would enrich the Pitt community, because they say include stuff that isn't already in our application, should we be talking about like hobbies and cool things we've done/talents that set us apart? Or should I be treating this as the classic diversity essay and talk about the stuff my most significant extracurriculars have taught me?

For the question about how we would enrich the Pitt community, because they say include stuff that isn't already in our application, should we be talking about like hobbies and cool things we've done/talents that set us apart? Or should I be treating this as the classic diversity essay and talk about the stuff my most significant extracurriculars have taught me?
I think either or a combination of the two is acceptable. The vibe I get from this essay is to portray yourself as an exciting, lively individual

FWIW, I'm using my diversity essay, as it isn't in my PS or ECs anywhere.

I think either or a combination of the two is acceptable. The vibe I get from this essay is to portray yourself as an exciting, lively individual
Yes, but I'm not able to do that in 250 words. I guess I'm too boring. Using my diversity essay instead.

Yes, but I'm not able to do that in 250 words. I guess I'm too boring. Using my diversity essay instead.
I feel your pain. I haven't actually written the essay yet, but my plan was to write something different, as my diversity essay isn't one of my favorites. However, as the secondaries pile up, it's looking more and more appealing to just use...

In regards to the other essay on describing a challenge, do you think it looks bad to describe a challenge working with others, a la Mount Sinai, even though the prompt doesn't specify this type of challenge? I don't want to come across as hard to work with, but 1). I think the example I have highlights my innovation and ability to compromise in a professional setting and 2). Not having to come up with a completely new essay would be pretty grand at this point

id assume that all depends on how meaningful and significant the reader will interpret your challenge relative to others who submitted this essay. with that said, the culture of medical school is inviting to those who come from varying backgrounds and thus the umbrella with which one's challenges may fall is a large, encompassing one. so if you are able to speak to it and speak to it well, while conveying the lessons youve learned and other pertinent information, i dont see why it would be of any concern
Thanks for the insight! I know the challenges and adversities I have faced pale in comparison to what many others have experienced, which is why I am choosing to focus on a professional challenge I have successfully navigated versus trying to trump up a relatively trivial adversity I have faced.

Last edited:
Deleted. Lol I should have looked at last year's thread.

Last edited:
I know, I already received a secondary which I completed yesterday. I got an interview invite today

That's a really quick turnaround. Did you get it via e-mail/status change/both?

Email as well as status change

Someone on a different thread got II last night from Pitt. He has great stats.

This has happened in previous years as well if you look at old threads, so not surprised. Congrats!

Wow congrats guys! I was totally wrong, it indeed has happened in previous years.

would it be safe to say that Dr. Retractor has..... retracted his statement?
giphy.gif

3.95 c/sGPA, 41 mcat
I am mildly confused by your post history though. How many times did you take the MCAT? I see 4 different scores total: 29, 35, 41, 42 unless I'm mistaken. Congrats on the II btw!

Congrats to everyone on the early IIs. Pitt is a great place!

I am mildly confused by your post history though. How many times did you take the MCAT? I see 4 different scores total: 29, 35, 41, 42 unless I'm mistaken. Congrats on the II btw!
who would even retake a 35 much less a 41 :wideyed:

who would even retake a 35 much less a 41 :wideyed:
Hopefully nobody in their right mind. Even in my left mind I would hope to have a strong enough grip on reality to not do that lol. I'm gonna give him/her the benefit of the doubt and assume he got a 29 and 41 then averaged it as a 35 for a post and said 42 once for anonymity's sake.

Reactions: 1 users