2015-2016 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On the MSTP secondary, does anybody know what they're asking for in the abstract box? The previous boxes already asked for journal articles and presentations, should this box include the abstracts from those publications?

Box 1/2
Journal Publications: (Authors, title, journal, date) *

Oral/Poster Presentations: (specify if oral or poster): (Date, location, event, authors) *



Box 3:
Abstracts:
(Date, location, event/journal, authors) *
 
On the MSTP secondary, does anybody know what they're asking for in the abstract box? The previous boxes already asked for journal articles and presentations, should this box include the abstracts from those publications?

Box 1/2
Journal Publications: (Authors, title, journal, date) *

Oral/Poster Presentations: (specify if oral or poster): (Date, location, event, authors) *



Box 3:
Abstracts:
(Date, location, event/journal, authors) *
I'm not applying MSTP, but I would assume this would be for abstracts that were published, but a full article has not yet been published for them nor has a presentation been given. I, personally, would not list abstracts for things that were already covered by journal publications or oral presentations, since I think that is assumed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious as well. Letters and secondary were in 7/8 but I haven't received a complete email (other than confirmation of fee payment) so i assume no.
I received confirmation of payment, and the next email I received was an II, so I concur.
 
To be fair, I don't think it's only superstar applicants that are getting these II's. I have a Lizzy M score of around a 74, non-URM, no affiliation with Pitt and I got an II haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be fair, I don't think it's only superstar applicants that are getting these II's. I have a Lizzy M score of around a 74, non-URM, no affiliation with Pitt and I got an II haha.

74 is pretty close to superstar in my book! Especially if it's a 3.8/36 or 3.7/37
 
I submitted on 7/16, but it says my letters haven't been received? Why not? They're on AMCAS. One more hoop I guess. Anyone have any experience with this?
 
If i submitted on 7/08, does that mean they have already reviewed mine and I'm out of the running?

I gave up on trying to figure out the order in which adcoms review apps 🙂 From what I've seen it's appears as random as you can get sometimes. I'm sure you're still in the running!
 
Does anyone know what should be the on the MSTP CV/Resume. I assume it's everything related to research, but also extracurriculars? Thanks!
 
I submitted on 7/16, but it says my letters haven't been received? Why not? They're on AMCAS. One more hoop I guess. Anyone have any experience with this?
Me, too! My AMCAS was verified 7/2/2015 and I submitted secondary 7/9/2015, and all the letters are in AMCAS, but the status page says they have not received the letters...
 
Got my II today at noon. LizzyM of 73.5 (engineering school, so lower GPA (3.7ish range))

Verified secondary completion on the 12th of July.

Interviewing on the 9th of September, anyone else?
 
Mmm submitted my secondary on 7/20 but it says my letters of recommendation haven't been received even though I submitted through AMCAS. anyone else have this problem??

And congratulations to all you people who got II 🙂 any II for MSTP applicants?
 
Got my II today at noon. LizzyM of 73.5 (engineering school, so lower GPA (3.7ish range))

Verified secondary completion on the 12th of July.

Interviewing on the 9th of September, anyone else?

I am so anxious! I hope I can join you. Secondary completed and verified 7/14 with LizzyM of 73.8. Have not heard anything yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got my II today at noon. LizzyM of 73.5 (engineering school, so lower GPA (3.7ish range))

Verified secondary completion on the 12th of July.

Interviewing on the 9th of September, anyone else?

I am so anxious! I hope I can join you. Secondary completed and verified 7/14 with LizzyM of 73.8. Have not heard anything yet.

Same here. Completed on 7/15. LizzyM 75.1. 3.91/3.95 s / 36. It's eerily quite.

Did you all get actual "application complete" emails? Or just going off the fact that everything was submitted and received based on the secondary portal?
 
Any MSTP get their letters from AMCAS in? I submitted secondaries last week and Pitts is the only school that hasn't received my letters. Maybe they are putting MSTP applicants off until a later review?
 
Any MSTP get their letters from AMCAS in? I submitted secondaries last week and Pitts is the only school that hasn't received my letters. Maybe they are putting MSTP applicants off until a later review?

Same for me. I think their MSTP admissions people are just slower than the MD admissions people.
 
Any MSTP get their letters from AMCAS in? I submitted secondaries last week and Pitts is the only school that hasn't received my letters. Maybe they are putting MSTP applicants off until a later review?

My MSTP letters are in since they individually email the people you indicate for LoRs. But the letters from AMCAS for the MD-only part hasn't been received and I submitted around 4 days ago :/
 
So, for the MSTP CV entrees, I may have listed each item by shifting, thus putting items underneath one another. When I submitted the MSTP application, each box ended up looking like a bunch of words thrown together, paragraph-form. Does anyone know if that's how it will look to the admissions committee too?
 
@Svenson are you posting a blank reply on schools to add them to your watched list? if so there's an easier way to do this. just click the link on the top right that says "watch thread"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just submitted my secondary. Definitely a reach for me. My mcat is 516 and my gpa a 3.7 with strong upward trend. I'm hoping my 15,000+ hours of research, 3,000+ hours of clinical work, and great LORs will help offset my less-than-stellar-for-Pitt stats.
 
Just submitted my secondary. Definitely a reach for me. My mcat is 516 and my gpa a 3.7 with strong upward trend. I'm hoping my 15,000+ hours of research, 3,000+ hours of clinical work, and great LORs will help offset my less-than-stellar-for-Pitt stats.

I hope you're a nontrad with those kind of hours.
 
haha yes, sadly, in the eyes of adcoms, i'm horribly old and non traditional at the age of almost 28!