2015-2016 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
"UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*"

So...if I talked briefly about a medical condition I have in my PS, is it completely unacceptable for me to talk about it again in this essay?? T___T

Members don't see this ad :)
The initial post of a 35 was before I took my first MCAT, I was just trying to get a feel of what my chances would be if I scored around a 35. Then, I ended up getting a 30. In retrospect, I realized I didn't prepare as well as I should have, so I retook it and got a 41. The 29/42 post was altered slightly for anonymity, but in this post I just said 'screw it'.

So, I have two scores: 30 and 41. I called U Pitt a while back and they informed me that they use the latest score to determine interview decisions

View attachment 193752
That's some crazy improvement!

"UPSOM is a culturally diverse and talented community. How would you enrich/enliven the UPSOM community? The essay should discuss material that is not included in the rest of your application. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*"

So...if I talked briefly about a medical condition I have in my PS, is it completely unacceptable for me to talk about it again in this essay?? T___T
I don't see anything wrong with doing so, as long as you talk about other aspects of the experience. I personally touched upon pursuing a different career path in my PS, and elaborated on the things I did/what I learned for my diversity essay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

I was wondering a similar thing. My plan was to talk about a skill/trait that I bring to the table by elaborating on something that I mentioned in my PS. I feel like you just can't have your diversity statement reflect similarly to an EC essay or a paragraph in your PS.

I don't see anything wrong with doing so, as long as you talk about other aspects of the experience. I personally touched upon pursuing a different career path in my PS, and elaborated on the things I did/what I learned for my diversity essay.

I was wondering a similar thing. My plan was to talk about a skill/trait that I bring to the table by elaborating on something that I mentioned in my PS. I feel like you just can't have your diversity statement reflect similarly to an EC essay or a paragraph in your PS.

Awesome, thank you guys! I didn't talk too much about the medical condition in my PS so I'm planning on elaborating on it and talking more about how it changed my perspective.

And congratulations to those who have already gotten interviews :O :O :O

Incoming MS1. Pitt is awesome! One of the best interview days I had was here because I was so blown away by UPMC (And the little robots patrolling the hallways).

Pitt usually has some pretty quick turnaround for IIs (as you can already see), but don't be alarmed if you don't get one within a week! I was complete here in July and got my II late August, so basically 1+ month later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know what days (MTWRF?) Pitts sends out IIs?

wait what

Can confirm. There are awesome lil robots that roam about the hospital, transporting lab specimens and other goodies. On my interview day I definitely tried to confuse one of them, but they just give a sad little "boop" whenever someone blocks their way. Didn't see them at any of the other schools I interviewed at, which was disappointment. They're pretty darn cute.

Found a video of one of them here, though I don't know if it's the same brand at Pitt.

As someone who works at Presby, I loved the tugs when I first started. And now I can't stand them--they'll block the hallway and take control of the elevators when you're trying to get somewhere!

For the course requirements section, does anyone know specifically what they're looking for with the "hours?" I assumed it was semester hours but on the website the examples had over 230 hours in that slot.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the course requirements section, does anyone know specifically what they're looking for with the "hours?" I assumed it was semester hours but on the website the examples had over 230 hours in that slot.
Where is this example? I definitely just did credit hours.

Where is this example? I definitely just did credit hours.

Course_req_Inorganic.png

That shows up when you press "help" on the course requirements page. Maybe they just put their hand on the number pad for those numbers but I figured I'd check if anyone knew. Might call the school tomorrow.

Course_req_Inorganic.png

That shows up when you press "help" on the course requirements page. Maybe they just put their hand on the number pad for those numbers but I figured I'd check if anyone knew. Might call the school tomorrow.

Ah, I see. Well, I already submitted so can't go back now. I highly doubt that they'd expect someone to count up the individual hours they had spent in a classroom though, so I'm assuming it's just random numbers as you said.

Course_req_Inorganic.png

LOL please let us know what they say when you call. Semester hours are the only thing that really makes sense to me. No clue what those numbers mean, I submitted mine with semester hours....

Just called the office...It's just standard credit hours.

Might have to tone down the obsessive attention to details from here out but I guess better safe than sorry.

Reactions: 3 users
3.95/37. I think I submitted Pitt on the first day they released secondaries. Will look up exact date and edit this post.

EDIT: I submitted 7/6/15

Last edited:
Woke up to an II from Pitt! :love:

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone who has received an II been from OOS?

II, marked complete 7/9, IS
My status still says "invited to complete secondary application", does this mean my app isn't complete yet? I submitted secondary and paid fee on july 8th.

My status still says "invited to complete secondary application", does this mean my app isn't complete yet? I submitted secondary and paid fee on july 8th.
Mine said that up until the II

Received an II today! To those who have signed up for an interview slot, when you click on "Confirm Interview Date", does it still say ""You have not yet been invited to an interview"?

Received an II today! To those who have signed up for an interview slot, when you click on "Confirm Interview Date", does it still say ""You have not yet been invited to an interview"?
Mine does! But when I click "schedule," it lists the date I picked. Probably just hasn't been updated yet or a glitch.

Ok cool same haha. That's a relief.

Any Upitt students willing to take a gander at my secondary essays? @hellanutella @Lamel @anyone @Frazier ?

Edit: my friend just looked over my shoulder and asked me why I want anyone to take a "guy moose" at my essay...

II just now!!! Submitted secondary on July 8th, LizzyM 79

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone under a 36 MCAT recieved an II yet?