-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Reject. Bye Felicia!
LOL
Rejected as well, complete mid july. 72-75. Glad I have 2 II's though, but I thought I had a shot here with my research.
All aboard the rejection train!
(Rejected btw)
(Rejected btw)
I guess Pitt threw me on the reject train.... IS, complete around 7/20. Oh well, it was definitely a reach for sure. Best of luck to everyone still in the running!
Rejected. Figured I'd have a good shot with all my research. At least they were kind enough to send out a formal rejection early in the cycle, so that's nice
Deuces Pittsburgh, go Ravens
Deuces Pittsburgh, go Ravens
Rejected as well. Lizzy M 75. Complete around last week of July.
joining the rejection train. Have some love at 7 other places, this was not meant to be. Good luck to all still in the running
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected as well! Good luck to you all.
sending a secondary here today 'cause YOLO?
I'm with ya, babe.sending a secondary here today 'cause YOLO?
rejected lewis lewis lewis
I'm with ya, babe.
and sent!
frantically adding schools even though it's absurdly late because i only have two interviews so far and it's my state school and harvard, and that is a weird combination.
Are you serious? What kind of range of schools did you apply to? There is no rhyme or reason to any of this. (My pattern of II, holds, rejects etc. also makes no sense.)and sent!
frantically adding schools even though it's absurdly late because i only have two interviews so far and it's my state school and harvard, and that is a weird combination.
Are you serious? What kind of range of schools did you apply to? There is no rhyme or reason to any of this. (My pattern of II, holds, rejects etc. also makes no sense.)
so serious and so worried! i mostly applied to top and mid tier schools and i realize it's a crapshoot at that range but this just seems bizarre.
Are you serious? What kind of range of schools did you apply to? There is no rhyme or reason to any of this. (My pattern of II, holds, rejects etc. also makes no sense.)
would love to hear your pattern - maybe its not as weird as i think!
My II combination is the same. Crazy how things work out sometimes haha. Good luck to you!and sent!
frantically adding schools even though it's absurdly late because i only have two interviews so far and it's my state school and harvard, and that is a weird combination.
I have a very unusual personal situation--I'm happy to PM you if you are still interested.would love to hear your pattern - maybe its not as weird as i think!
I think you and I might be the same person... though I only just added Harvard, along with Pitt =P this whole process is such a crapshoot! You never know. I think that by adding last-minute schools I'm allowing myself to believe I have an ounce of control in my future =Pand sent!
frantically adding schools even though it's absurdly late because i only have two interviews so far and it's my state school and harvard, and that is a weird combination.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there any urms who are current students or anyone who has applied? I have a few questions
The people who were rejected have been locked out of the system. If you can logon, you are still active.
So excited to interview here this week! The school and city both sound amazing 

how do you come up with 82.6 3.96 and 44?
how do you come up with 82.6 3.96 and 44?
Haha I did the math too - she got a 43 not 44. No clue why she was rejected. That's the epitome of academic excellence. They probably thought she'd go to HYSC or somewhere along those lines.
how do you come up with 82.6 3.96 and 44?
Haha I did the math too - she got a 43 not 44.
But to answer your question - no clue. That's the epitome of academic excellence.
Possible combinations are a 3.96 and 43, 3.86 and 44 or 3.76 and 45 😛 either way, that is some epic MCAT

There had been a -1 for a while in the classic?
There had been a -1 for a while in the classic?
There has been a -1 in the classic LizzyM for a while?
Not aware. It's been defined as 10*GPA+MCAT.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have still neither been rejected or received an II, complete Mid-July. Are interviews more or less booked for the season?
They might not be fully booked, but I am sure they are 75% done by now. I interviewed a few weeks ago and they said around 500/800 had been booked by that time.
They might not be fully booked, but I am sure they are 75% done by now. I interviewed a few weeks ago and they said around 500/800 had been booked by that time.
Very cool. I won't keep my hopes up, but I would love to interview here.
Not aware. It's been defined as 10*GPA+MCAT.
Hey can you explain the Generalized LizzyM in your signature?
Hey can you explain the Generalized LizzyM in your signature?
Because the 2015 MCAT has a significantly different scoring scale compared to the old MCAT, the classical LizzyM score would require converting the 2015 MCAT to the old MCAT based on percentile conversions. That is good for few years where the old MCAT has some effect, but for cycles beyond Class of 2022, only the 2015 MCAT becomes important.
So, the percentile conversions become meaningless as the old MCAT becomes obsolete. For the LizzyM score to reflect only the new MCAT, slight adjustments need to be made. @WedgeDawg provided one in a post a while ago
Alright guys, I have a proposed conversion for you all. The formula is:
(GPA-1)*10 + (MCAT-500) = Score
The max score (4.0/528) comes out to 58. I've gone through and made correlates between the old LizzyM score and the new one (which can be seen in the chart below). Examples:
Old 76 (i.e. 3.8/38 or 3.9/37) is new 50. This is generally the number to shoot for for top schools.
Old 73 (i.e. 3.8/35 or 3.9/34) is new 45. This is generally a good number for mid tiers while possibly being competitive for some top tiers.
Old 70 (i.e. 3.7/33 or 3.9/31) is new 40. This is generally where a "competitive" applicant for med school falls around.
Old 67 (i.e. 3.6/31 or 3.7/30) is new 35. This is around the accepted applicant median.
Old 65 (i.e. 3.6/29 or 3.7/28) is new 30. This is highly competitive for DOs and marginal for MD.
I didn't continue my color coordination after this, but you get the idea.
This score not only is easy to calculate, but provides convenient benchmarks for comparing scores to old LizzyM scores (down by 5's from 50 for new, down by 3's from 76 for old). It does break down at the MCAT extremes, but so did the old score (45/3.1 still gave you 76, for example).
Here are some spot checks:
3.7/32 is 69 old, which should be around 39ish new. Formula gives, for 3.7/512, 39, spot on!
3.4/38 is 72 old, which should be around 43-44 new. Formula gives, for 3.4/522, 46, so it's a little high, but it's also an extreme MCAT place.
3.9/32 is 71 old, which should be around 41-42 new. Formula gives, for 3.9/512, 41, right on!
3.3/36 is 69 old, which should be about 38-39 new. Formula gives, for 3.3/518, 41, so again, a little high.
This seems to work best the more "matched" the GPA and MCAT are, and gives slight favor to higher MCAT scores at the opposing extremes, but overall should be a decent estimate.
Obviously you can make it more accurate (by doing exact percentile conversions), but that would inevitably take away the simplicity of the calculation, which is the whole point. Also, because the new MCAT has multiple scores per old MCAT score, you're going to be hard pressed to find an algorithm that perfectly fits everything.
As we move away from old MCAT scores entirely, the conversion factor equality becomes far less important, and the balance between MCAT and GPA becomes the most important thing (here GPA is weighted out of 30 while MCAT is weighted out of 28, and the overall score can go as low as -32 if you have a 468 MCAT and 0.00 GPA). One MCAT point is still equivalent to 0.1 GPA points, just like the old scale.
See what you guys think!
![]()
Since it involves only linear changes to the LizzyM score, i provided a general version that can apply for any MCAT scoring scale.
I can explain more on this elsewhere.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
