You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 University of Rochester Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Looking forward to chance to visit upstate NY.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen all too much of upstate NY myself haha. but i'd still be ecstatic about spending the next 4 years here if that meant i was at U of R!Looking forward to chance to visit upstate NY.
I'm really interested in this school! Can anyone comment on how they integrate humanities into their curriculum/possible dual-degree programs? I understand they consider themselves the "liberal arts medical school." Quite attractive to me!
I'm not a student here, but I interviewed at Rochester this past cycle and have a lot of friends who are current medical students. The humanities are integrated throughout the unique double helix curriculum; during the first two years, student take medical humanities seminars which have included topics such as bioethics, literature and narrative medicine, environmental perspectives in healthcare, etc. (see: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/education/md/documents/courses.pdf). They also offer an MD/MS dual-degree program in the medical humanities (see: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/education/graduate/masters-degrees/medical-humanities/index.cfm), and an elective pathway in medical humanities and bioethics (see: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/education/md/admissions/elective-pathway.cfm).
Overall, Rochester is an awesome school, and everyone I know who goes here has nothing but great things to say about their experience here. Good luck!
Super excited about applying here!
Secondary received and submitted!
Secondary received and submitted!
Questions plzzzzz
No questions just a couple check box style questions and fee payment
Questions plzzzzz
No questions just a couple check box style questions and fee payment
oh yeah thats what i like to hear. thanks 🙂
Easiest secondary ever!! 🙂
So their website says "a minimum of 3 individual letters. Up to 4 additional letters may be sent. While any three letters of recommendation will be accepted, it is preferred that the applicant submit two science and one non-science related letters."
I'm interpreting this as we're allowed to send 7 total letters. Is that correct?
I'm interpreting this as we're allowed to send 7 total letters. Is that correct?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I be worried if I still haven't received Rochester's secondary even though my primary AMCAS application was verified 3 weeks ago?
No, I haven't either. There are tons of verified applications that were sent to Rochester today, so they're trying to process an extremely high volume and get secondaries sent out. It may take the rest of today and tomorrow in order to get secondaries out to all the people whose primaries they got today. I wouldn't be really worried unless at least a week had passed since the first day they sent out secondaries and you hadn't received one yet.Should I be worried if I still haven't received Rochester's secondary even though my primary AMCAS application was verified 3 weeks ago?
agree with @nwts it took at least 2 days to get the first wave of secondaries out last year so don't be concernedI'm also starting to worry. I was complete about 3 weeks ago too. I also checked my junk mail, but nothing![]()
Can you submit your secondary without assigning all your LoRs?
Yes, but you probably won't be marked complete, and adcom usually don't review until you are marked complete.Can you submit your secondary without assigning all your LoRs?
Yes, but you probably won't be marked complete, and adcom usually don't review until you are marked complete.
Ah okay thanks! My university's career center is being really annoying so I can't send AMCAS my letters...quite frustrating.
Yes, Folks with those committees have something out of their control.Ah okay thanks! My university's career center is being really annoying so I can't send AMCAS my letters...quite frustrating.
Then again, I have a lazy professor who has had months to finish the LOR I asked him for in FEB still not in. Growl.
Yes, Folks with those committees have something out of their control.
Then again, I have a lazy professor who has had months to finish the LOR I asked him for in FEB still not in. Growl.
Ughh, I feel you. Had to ask my research professor 3 times between May and end of June to submit my letter (asked him to submit by June 1) when I asked him in February as well...
Received this morning, submitted just now! Hooray for easy secondaries 

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
okay, this one down, Mayo down, only 24 more to go. Easiest one of the whole season.
But sort of sad I couldn't recycle one of my other essays about how I have been humbled, overcome an obstacle, why I'm not a selfish, self center pre-med, NOT.
But sort of sad I couldn't recycle one of my other essays about how I have been humbled, overcome an obstacle, why I'm not a selfish, self center pre-med, NOT.
Submitted as well, and now just to wait for my LORs to be uploaded onto the portal. Here's hoping for good news.
Secondary received and submitted - good luck everyone!
Most curious, still waiting on one more LOR, but have an email that my application is complete and under review. If I get my final LOR in (from PI on research project), they won't guarantee that it will be looked at by the adcom. HUH?? I won't have pushed that button if I knew they won't wait for my most important LOR. Sigh.
Most curious, still waiting on one more LOR, but have an email that my application is complete and under review. If I get my final LOR in (from PI on research project), they won't guarantee that it will be looked at by the adcom. HUH?? I won't have pushed that button if I knew they won't wait for my most important LOR. Sigh.
They need three. If you have already provided them with three then I take it the application is considered complete. Based on their email:
- 3 Individual Letters - if you indicated via AMCAS that, for example, you have 5 individual letters arriving, the first 3 letters to arrive will make your application complete.
The sooner you get your PI to upload the letter the better. Good Luck!!
Yes that appears to be the case, but that is not what their website says. I'll light a fire on the PI now.They need three. If you have already provided them with three then I take it the application is considered complete. Based on their email:
The drawback is that if you have more arriving and they have already started to review your application then they , "cannot guarantee that the Committee will have access to those letters when your application is reviewed. "
- 3 Individual Letters - if you indicated via AMCAS that, for example, you have 5 individual letters arriving, the first 3 letters to arrive will make your application complete.
The sooner you get your PI to upload the letter the better. Good Luck!!
I have to call and ask but anyone know how flexible they are their writing intensive requirement?
You may have already inquired, but it doesn't seem too strict. I called them a couple months ago and they said as long as the class required some writing (essays, etc.), it shouldn't be a problem.
For those who haven't submitted their secondaries yet, is there a question on it about applying to any med schools in the past?
For those who haven't submitted their secondaries yet, is there a question on it about applying to any med schools in the past?
Yes, and also if you specifically applied to Rochester. There is no space to explain why, just a checkbox asking if you did.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got a brochure and secondary invite in the mail from them the other day. How nice.
Got a brochure and secondary invite in the mail from them the other day. How nice.
Same, despite having submitted my secondary the day I got it. A belated bit of joy, I guess, haha.
Any idea when IIs might start coming out?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K

