2015-2016 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I have to call and ask but anyone know how flexible they are their writing intensive requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking forward to chance to visit upstate NY.
I've seen all too much of upstate NY myself haha. but i'd still be ecstatic about spending the next 4 years here if that meant i was at U of R!

I'm really interested in this school! Can anyone comment on how they integrate humanities into their curriculum/possible dual-degree programs? I understand they consider themselves the "liberal arts medical school." Quite attractive to me!

I'm really interested in this school! Can anyone comment on how they integrate humanities into their curriculum/possible dual-degree programs? I understand they consider themselves the "liberal arts medical school." Quite attractive to me!

I'm not a student here, but I interviewed at Rochester this past cycle and have a lot of friends who are current medical students. The humanities are integrated throughout the unique double helix curriculum; during the first two years, student take medical humanities seminars which have included topics such as bioethics, literature and narrative medicine, environmental perspectives in healthcare, etc. (see: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/education/md/documents/courses.pdf). They also offer an MD/MS dual-degree program in the medical humanities (see: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/education/graduate/masters-degrees/medical-humanities/index.cfm), and an elective pathway in medical humanities and bioethics (see: https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/education/md/admissions/elective-pathway.cfm).

Overall, Rochester is an awesome school, and everyone I know who goes here has nothing but great things to say about their experience here. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Super excited about applying here!

Secondary received and submitted!

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. Got the secondary 9:01, submitted 9:05.

Members don't see this ad :)
So their website says "a minimum of 3 individual letters. Up to 4 additional letters may be sent. While any three letters of recommendation will be accepted, it is preferred that the applicant submit two science and one non-science related letters."

I'm interpreting this as we're allowed to send 7 total letters. Is that correct?

I think that is correct since the wording is "4 additional letters."

Should I be worried if I still haven't received Rochester's secondary even though my primary AMCAS application was verified 3 weeks ago?

I'm also starting to worry. I was complete about 3 weeks ago too. I also checked my junk mail, but nothing :nailbiting:

Should I be worried if I still haven't received Rochester's secondary even though my primary AMCAS application was verified 3 weeks ago?
No, I haven't either. There are tons of verified applications that were sent to Rochester today, so they're trying to process an extremely high volume and get secondaries sent out. It may take the rest of today and tomorrow in order to get secondaries out to all the people whose primaries they got today. I wouldn't be really worried unless at least a week had passed since the first day they sent out secondaries and you hadn't received one yet.

I'm also starting to worry. I was complete about 3 weeks ago too. I also checked my junk mail, but nothing :nailbiting:
agree with @nwts it took at least 2 days to get the first wave of secondaries out last year so don't be concerned

Yup easiest secondary lol. But I am still waiting on 2 LOR... :/

Can you submit your secondary without assigning all your LoRs?

Yes, but you probably won't be marked complete, and adcom usually don't review until you are marked complete.

Ah okay thanks! My university's career center is being really annoying so I can't send AMCAS my letters...quite frustrating.

Ah okay thanks! My university's career center is being really annoying so I can't send AMCAS my letters...quite frustrating.
Yes, Folks with those committees have something out of their control.
Then again, I have a lazy professor who has had months to finish the LOR I asked him for in FEB still not in. Growl.

Hmm, haven't received secondary here yet

Yes, Folks with those committees have something out of their control.
Then again, I have a lazy professor who has had months to finish the LOR I asked him for in FEB still not in. Growl.

Ughh, I feel you. Had to ask my research professor 3 times between May and end of June to submit my letter (asked him to submit by June 1) when I asked him in February as well...

Received and submitted! 1 down, too many more to go :bang:

Received this morning, submitted just now! Hooray for easy secondaries :horns:

One of the best secondaries ever. Best of luck to everyone :)

Also received and submitted this morning. However, still waiting on a couple LORs.

okay, this one down, Mayo down, only 24 more to go. Easiest one of the whole season.

But sort of sad I couldn't recycle one of my other essays about how I have been humbled, overcome an obstacle, why I'm not a selfish, self center pre-med, NOT.

Submitted as well, and now just to wait for my LORs to be uploaded onto the portal. Here's hoping for good news.

Secondary received and submitted! Verified 6/4. Best secondary ever. :)

Can any current students or anyone from around the area attest to the pros and cons of the location? What is there to do for leisure activities and how good is the night life?

Secondary also received and submitted. Verified 6/17. If only more schools were like this...

Last edited:
Received secondary this morning and submitted now. Man this secondary and Saint Louis's were awesome

Secondary received and submitted - good luck everyone!

Most curious, still waiting on one more LOR, but have an email that my application is complete and under review. If I get my final LOR in (from PI on research project), they won't guarantee that it will be looked at by the adcom. HUH?? I won't have pushed that button if I knew they won't wait for my most important LOR. Sigh.

Most curious, still waiting on one more LOR, but have an email that my application is complete and under review. If I get my final LOR in (from PI on research project), they won't guarantee that it will be looked at by the adcom. HUH?? I won't have pushed that button if I knew they won't wait for my most important LOR. Sigh.

They need three. If you have already provided them with three then I take it the application is considered complete. Based on their email:

• 3 Individual Letters - if you indicated via AMCAS that, for example, you have 5 individual letters arriving, the first 3 letters to arrive will make your application complete.
The drawback is that if you have more arriving and they have already started to review your application then they , "cannot guarantee that the Committee will have access to those letters when your application is reviewed. "

The sooner you get your PI to upload the letter the better. Good Luck!!

They need three. If you have already provided them with three then I take it the application is considered complete. Based on their email:

• 3 Individual Letters - if you indicated via AMCAS that, for example, you have 5 individual letters arriving, the first 3 letters to arrive will make your application complete.
The drawback is that if you have more arriving and they have already started to review your application then they , "cannot guarantee that the Committee will have access to those letters when your application is reviewed. "

The sooner you get your PI to upload the letter the better. Good Luck!!
Yes that appears to be the case, but that is not what their website says. I'll light a fire on the PI now.

Applying M.D./M.B.A. Good luck to all!

I have to call and ask but anyone know how flexible they are their writing intensive requirement?

You may have already inquired, but it doesn't seem too strict. I called them a couple months ago and they said as long as the class required some writing (essays, etc.), it shouldn't be a problem.

So the website says they have my mcat scores, but I just got an email today saying they don't? Anyone else get this email?

Edit: Nevermind, misread the email. That's what I get for trying to read emails at 4am when I'm half asleep.

For those who haven't submitted their secondaries yet, is there a question on it about applying to any med schools in the past?

For those who haven't submitted their secondaries yet, is there a question on it about applying to any med schools in the past?

Yes, and also if you specifically applied to Rochester. There is no space to explain why, just a checkbox asking if you did.

Got a brochure and secondary invite in the mail from them the other day. How nice.

Reactions: 3 users
Got a brochure and secondary invite in the mail from them the other day. How nice.

Same, despite having submitted my secondary the day I got it. A belated bit of joy, I guess, haha.

I just received the brochure as well.

Received the brochure and letter today! I think it's a really thoughtful idea. The hockey fan in me loved the mention of the Buffalo Sabres' AHL minor league team based in Rochester!