2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, my name is BABSstudent and I'm a friendly, neighborhood third year here to answer your questions specific to UWSOM. I know this can be a super stressful time of your life and hopefully I can make it a little more bearable. If you check out last year's thread you will see that I frequently reply to questions and offer my advice. Everything you could probably ask has already been discussed in the previous years' threads but don't feel like that should stop you from posting here.

Quick links to previous year's threads.
2014-2015 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ity-of-washington-application-thread.1074162/
2013-2014 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ity-of-washington-school-of-medicine.1005000/

I normally check this at least once a week but feel free to type @BABSstudent and I will get a notification to check the thread. But if I have tests or am busy with school, the responses may be a bit delayed until I decide to procrastinate. This year, this is even more true since I am going to be in clerkships. Depending upon the rotation, my answers may be very delayed. Hopefully some of the new MS1 or MS2 students will stick around to help. My advice is becoming more and more outdated with every cycle, so they can give better up to date advice. I'll bring my clerkship knowledge to the table.

Final thing: if you contact the admissions office, make sure to post your question and their answer here so they don't keep getting asked the same questions. It makes their life easier and you may be interacting with them a lot in the upcoming years, so don't make them angry!

Good luck everybody!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Final thing: you will probably be looking for information about the waitlist movement around this time next year. This is actively being compiled at the moment and you can see more about it here:

Unfortunately you can only view this on the desktop version and not mobile. So if it looks weird to you, just come back while you use a computer.

In the document is the waitlist numbers for previous years and their sources for information. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@BABSstudent thanks!! I had a few concerns if you could answer! I'm a non-trad so my course work is all crazy. I've heard people can contact admissions so they look at latest work, etc. How/When should I do that?!

@SallySue1202 I'm considering it but haven't signed up!

@musicalscientists ditto! -___-

@BABSstudent thanks!! I had a few concerns if you could answer! I'm a non-trad so my course work is all crazy. I've heard people can contact admissions so they look at latest work, etc. How/When should I do that?!

@SallySue1202 I'm considering it but haven't signed up!

@musicalscientists ditto! -___-
When you get the secondary application, they should list the email address you should direct questions to. For me, it was [email protected]

I am pretty sure it hasn't changed, but they will update it if it's different.

I emailed them whenever I had enough information to fill up a one page typed word document, single spaced. I wrote it as a letter and submitted it to that email.

Here are examples of two updates I sent them, one in January (I interviewed in October) and also one in March.
Dear EXCOM members,

Upon completion of my education at Washington State University, and still being "Under Consideration," I wrote this letter to update my application for University of Washington School of Medicine for acceptance in the class of 2017. I believe I will be a valuable contribution to the class and that my recent graduation, teaching jobs, research and volunteer work should be added to my application for consideration at the next EXCOM meeting.

I recently finished my college education, completing two degrees in four and a half years. While this has been difficult to do, I graduated with the class of 2012 in December with a B.S. in Zoology and B.A. in Foreign Languages and Cultures. I wish to update my application by stating that I am now advanced in my Spanish speaking abilities. I had been on the verge of becoming advanced, and this last semester of grammar courses and earning an A in it has helped me fix some minor errors in my speaking abilities. While my Spanish is still not perfect, being a University of Washington medical student will benefit me because of the regional sites with a larger Hispanic population. This is the population that I hope to eventually serve.

I also finished up my first semester of being a teaching assistant for both the WSU anatomy class (which uses the Pullman WWAMI anatomy lab and cadavers) and a parasitology class. In both labs, I received high marks as a teacher and have been invited to be a TA for the anatomy class again for three labs. The professor of anatomy invited me to be a TA for another class he teaches, Comparative Anatomy. I will be teaching this class for two labs per week. I enjoy teaching and I believe it builds communication skills which all doctors should master.

In addition to the five labs I mentioned above, which requires working 25 hours per week, I will also be working in the X research lab for 15 hours per week. I have worked there since September 2011 and have enjoyed this introduction to research. The research job and teaching assistant are both paid positions, resulting in me being a full time employee at Washington State University. The hours of work interfered with me being President of the Pre-Health Club, so I stepped down from my position after meeting with advisors and the new President to discuss what I planned for the club. I still will be a member involved in their volunteer efforts.

During my time as President, my main volunteer work that I did was with the Pullman Food Banks. This semester we raised 1,651.5 pounds of food for the food bank. In total, the Pre-Health Club raised 3,592.5 pounds of food donations this last year. Raising food for the food bank has been main volunteering point this semester for the club and me. We raised food for the food bank because some Palouse families had difficulty obtaining food and because my past history using food banks as a child.

I hope all of this is taken into consideration at the next meeting. I believe I will make a great addition to the class of 2017 at UWSOM. Of the schools that I have interviewed at, none have left such a dramatic desire to attend and work in the area as University of Washington has. I hope you will consider my recent graduation with two degrees, teaching experience, fulltime work and volunteer contributions to the food bank from this last semester. I believe my passion for medicine, experiences and my disadvantaged background will add diversity and be a contribution to the University of Washington School of Medicine class of 2017. I hope this new information is taken into account during the next EXCOM meeting when you vote on my application.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
BABSstudent

Dear Executive Committee,

Five months have passed since I interviewed at University of Washington School of Medicine. Since the executive committee will begin making the final group of acceptances, rejections and waitlist positions, I wanted to reaffirm my desire to attend UWSOM while also providing other updates in the hope of being accepted or gaining a higher position on the waitlist at my dream medical school.

First, I have continued all of my jobs with Washington State University. However, one of my job titles has changed since my last update; I am now an instructor with the School of Biological Sciences (verifiable by searching my name on wsu.edu and clicking on the staff link). Previously my title was Teaching Assistant, but this semester it changed due to the higher amount of classes I teach. I will continue these instructor jobs until May and then work in the X lab full time until July.

I have also contacted Dr. X and asked him if I could shadow him again, to which he responded I may. I will shadow Dr. X from Mid-March through April (verifiable by contacting Dr. X on my AMCAS application). Now that I have applied to medical school, I am investigating which specialty I would like to pursue with primary care being something I want to learn more about.

In addition, I began moving towards my goal of being involved with the health aspect of my fiancée's elementary school class. I recently finished helping to create health lesson plans for her first grade students (verifiable by contacting X on my AMCAS application). The lessons rely heavily on preventative medicine; focusing on teaching the benefits of being active, brushing their teeth, eating a balanced diet and telling adults about problems they may have. This project culminated on the day before Dr. Seuss' birthday, March 1st, when I went to the class and talked to the students about my career goals and reading to them Dr. Seuss and other books about health and doctors. I hope to make this a yearly activity, as I have enjoyed this opportunity immensely.

Finally, I have been told repeatedly that if I do not get into UW this cycle that I should apply the following cycle. However, I want to notify the executive committee that I have been accepted to Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine and Creighton University School of Medicine including a Medical Dean's Scholarship for $100,000 over four years to CUSOM. I sincerely hope this does not change the committee's view of my application to UW.

While I am extremely grateful to been awarded a scholarship like this and admission to other medical schools, I am willing to turn down these offers to attend UW for admission to the class of 2017. Simply put, UW has many opportunities that I wish to utilize that do not exist at these other schools. The ability to stay in state, the underserved focus of UW that would allow me to use my B.A., the third and fourth year sites of WWAMI, the strong research funding UW receives, the primary care focus of UW, the mission statement of the school and my fiancée's teaching certification in Washington State are all reasons that we have placed UW at the top of our preferred medical school list. If granted an acceptance to UW, I will withdraw from my acceptances to the other medical schools without a second thought.

I hope you consider this at the next meeting or when the waitlist is created. It has been a great honor to be invited to interview as well as remain under considered for admission. I hope my dreams to matriculate at UW come to fruition. I truly believe that I will be a great fit for the University of Washington School of Medicine and attending this school will be best choice for me. I hope you all see this too. Thank you for your time, consideration and work in creating the next generation of doctors.

Best of luck with your voting,
BABSstudent

Basically, send them updates when you can but make sure they are substantial. You don't want to waste anyone's time and you want them to make you look good. Feel free to tailor them to highlight why they are great experiences and would make you perfect for UW. You have to remember that you are acting like a car salesman. You kind of know what the school wants and now you are telling them why they need you.

Thanks @BABSstudent !! I wondered how it would also work for OOS schools. I know I won't be screened out of UWSOM, but the others I have no idea.

Thanks @BABSstudent !! I wondered how it would also work for OOS schools. I know I won't be screened out of UWSOM, but the others I have no idea.
The secondaries will tend to have boxes that say, is there anything else you would like to mention. Feel free to use those to your advantage to not be screened out. After the secondary, they will also normally give you an email address to send updates to, have a submit feature on their secondary website, say which address to mail updates to or they will say they do not accept updates. Basically, each school does it their own way and will let you know when you get the secondary either on the secondary or in the secondary invite email. Don't worry about it too much now. Just wait for a secondary (which most will give you one since it is profitable to do so) and then act in whatever way you think will be best.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow!! Thank you so much, @BABSstudent!!

I know this is a little early, but hello all! I am applying this year from WA. SUPER excited for this cycle!!! UW is my top choice!

Is anyone else in the Seattle area attending the Focus Group Sessions on June 1st & 2nd? (http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/applicants/advice)

YEP!! Top-choice also - I can't believe how lucky we are to have this caliber school for in-state!! If anyone want's to do final essay read-overs, or work on stuff together this summer, send me a message :) and GOOD LUCK to everyone, we've all worked so hard, no matter what happens we'll make it!

When you get the secondary application, they should list the email address you should direct questions to. For me, it was [email protected]

I am pretty sure it hasn't changed, but they will update it if it's different.

I emailed them whenever I had enough information to fill up a one page typed word document, single spaced. I wrote it as a letter and submitted it to that email.

Here are examples of two updates I sent them, one in January (I interviewed in October) and also one in March.

Basically, send them updates when you can but make sure they are substantial. You don't want to waste anyone's time and you want them to make you look good. Feel free to tailor them to highlight why they are great experiences and would make you perfect for UW. You have to remember that you are acting like a car salesman. You kind of know what the school wants and now you are telling them why they need you.

Wow - thank you @BABSstudent !!!! I will keep this in mind, this is one of the best written reminder letters I've read

I didn't not get into UW, but the one bit of advice I have for Idahoans is to be very careful/deliberate with your residency/state of residence. Proving you are an "Idahoan" for WWAMI is rather complex and involves quite a few documents from either you or your parent(s).

@ellidn this is gonna be one heck of a journey!! When are you planning turning in your app?! I was hoping to get things done earlier in the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
@ellidn this is gonna be one heck of a journey!! When are you planning turning in your app?! I was hoping to get things done earlier in the summer.
I'm ready to submit on June 2nd & was planning on setting all of July aside for secondaries - BUT I just realized that with the new change of release date to med schools, that maybe we'll get secondaries later than other years have?

hmmm I heard of that, they are starting to accept in mid july correct? Well, for UW the questions are the same, I don't really have many other secondaries I am planning on completing since being OOS prolly will screen me out :\

Hi @BABSstudent, first time applicant here.

I'll be applying to UW this cycle. Absolutely love the campus, environment, and their medical program. However, I'm OOS (30 MCAT, 3.75 c/sGPA) and I'm terrified of the acceptance rate (something around 0.5%?!). My personal statement and work/activities section is really heavy on my experience working with underserved communities abroad/primary care, which happens to fall in line with their mission statement. Is there any additional advice you can give to strengthen my application in the hopes of even getting a secondary?

UW is one of my top choices, but I don't want to get my hopes up. :(

Hi @BABSstudent, first time applicant here.

I'll be applying to UW this cycle. Absolutely love the campus, environment, and their medical program. However, I'm OOS (30 MCAT, 3.75 c/sGPA) and I'm terrified of the acceptance rate (something around 0.5%?!). My personal statement and work/activities section is really heavy on my experience working with underserved communities abroad/primary care, which happens to fall in line with their mission statement. Is there any additional advice you can give to strengthen my application in the hopes of even getting a secondary?

UW is one of my top choices, but I don't want to get my hopes up. :(

Gosh. It's so tough to give advice like this because it really is difficult. But I'll try. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to take the last few days before submitting to reread your entire application.

I actually just sent this to another applicant that messaged me earlier. I think it applies so I'll copy/paste with some alterations.

Basically, if you match the school's mission statement, know why the school is something you want to go to, your scores realistically match what they normally accept and can articulate all this in a elegant and succinct way, it will help you out tremendously. Seriously. For some reason applicants never seem to put all these pieces together. And for the writing it really well, take an extra day or two to proofread every single line, making it active tense and focused with strong reasons. Vary the sentence length. Use colorful vocabulary (to a point without going overkill). Make sure every sentence has a point and isn't a run on sentence. You don't want to waste any space since there are character counts. This will set you apart.

Despite all of this, though, being OOR makes getting a secondary challenging. While it will make some people mad to wait months for a secondary, I want to tell you that the school literally will read everything you write before deciding to give you a secondary or not. That means this proof reading is key. If the school is really the best fit for you, then write your application to show this. Use your top experiences to go into why you want to do underserved or primary care medicine if that is really what you want to do. What makes this population or profession unique to you and why do you feel that way. Why did you do the activities that you did? I cannot stress this enough! Never leave the reader asking why. We don't have the time to read 100 applications and spend our time figuring these things out for you. Your application should make it all clear.

For example, you volunteer at soup kitchen? Please spare me the details about how you washed dishes, served food and then cleaned up afterwards every weekend for the last two years. That can be summed up in the title as soup kitchen server/dish washer, the dates listed and maybe a line or two in the primary. However, I am still left wondering why. Why do you volunteer there? Is it because you have a personal connection? Is it because you want to show compassion and be a face they can come to? Is it because you thought it would look good to medical schools? Tell me the story as best as you can in as few words as possible. Obviously you can't answer everything, but at least make it colorful so I enjoy it and remember you. Bonus points if these things fall in line with a particular school, because they will like what they see.

Just remember, no school is going to give you a sympathy interview. They don't have time for that. They are going to give interviews to students that excel on every part of the application. They are going to give interviews to students that match their mission and that they think can survive the curriculum. After the interview, they are going to accept the students that they feel match the personality and ambition of their class and who they would actually like to have attend their school.

And I'll leave you with a comic from a classmate. Some may think it is a little vulgar, but I think the point is really well made.

halfass1.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Hi there, my name is BABSstudent and I'm a friendly, neighborhood third year here to answer your questions specific to UWSOM. I know this can be a super stressful time of your life and hopefully I can make it a little more bearable. If you check out last year's thread you will see that I frequently reply to questions and offer my advice. Everything you could probably ask has already been discussed in the previous years' threads but don't feel like that should stop you from posting here.

Quick links to previous year's threads.
2014-2015 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ity-of-washington-application-thread.1074162/
2013-2014 http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ity-of-washington-school-of-medicine.1005000/

I normally check this at least once a week but feel free to type @BABSstudent and I will get a notification to check the thread. But if I have tests or am busy with school, the responses may be a bit delayed until I decide to procrastinate. This year, this is even more true since I am going to be in clerkships. Depending upon the rotation, my answers may be very delayed. Hopefully some of the new MS1 or MS2 students will stick around to help. My advice is becoming more and more outdated with every cycle, so they can give better up to date advice. I'll bring my clerkship knowledge to the table.

Final thing: if you contact the admissions office, make sure to post your question and their answer here so they don't keep getting asked the same questions. It makes their life easier and you may be interacting with them a lot in the upcoming years, so don't make them angry!

Good luck everybody!

Hi! I'm a re-applicant for this upcoming cycle and had a question about the application process. I really liked my primary essay last year and would like to keep it the same, with the exception of changing one of the paragraphs to medical scribing which i'm doing currently. I don't want it to come off as I'm being lazy. Do you have any suggestions?

Hi! I'm a re-applicant for this upcoming cycle and had a question about the application process. I really liked my primary essay last year and would like to keep it the same, with the exception of changing one of the paragraphs to medical scribing which i'm doing currently. I don't want it to come off as I'm being lazy. Do you have any suggestions?
You need to figure out the reason why you did not get in. That means you need to honestly evaluate your previous application and identify that reason. Take a step back and analyze your application carefully and figure out if really changing one paragraph will really make it a better application or if you need to change more than that.

Wait am I correct in thinking the fact if you're from a state other than Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, or Idaho that you can't apply?

Wait am I correct in thinking the fact if you're from a state other than Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, or Idaho that you can't apply?
I am not sure where you got that idea but you can apply. We accept people from out of state. It's just a tough battle to get in that requires matching the school's mission statement really well.

I am not sure where you got that idea but you can apply. We accept people from out of state. It's just a tough battle to get in that requires matching the school's mission statement really well.

I got it from here. Where it says "Non-WWAMI Applicants: Applicants from outside the WWAMI region who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered."

For some reason this sounded to me like if you weren't economically or educationally disadvantaged you couldn't apply. I've done a lot of volunteer work but I'm not sure if its enough to "demonstrate a commitment to serving underserved populations"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 7.21.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 7.21.18 PM.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 120
I got it from here. Where it says "Non-WWAMI Applicants: Applicants from outside the WWAMI region who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered."

For some reason this sounded to me like if you weren't economically or educationally disadvantaged you couldn't apply. I've done a lot of volunteer work but I'm not sure if its enough to "demonstrate a commitment to serving underserved populations"
Gotcha. I think the key word there is "or." Like I said, you have to match their mission statement. Basically, as an OOR applicant, the school wants people to work with the underserved and pick students that have shown a big commitment there. The school actually read your primary application before sending out secondaries to check if you match what they want. Save yourself the money if you haven't demonstrated this as an OOR applicant.

As an IS person, they are a little more lax with the underserved part because the other part of the school's mission is to train physicians that will practice in WWAMI. If you are from here, you are more likely to practice here.

submitted my primary like 30min ago. good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I am totally stuck on this since thats exactly what my PS is about -_-
I don't know either! My guess is that it's not so much what you write about, but how you write about it. As long as you show maturity and growth through reflective writing, I think you'll be good to go! That's what I am hoping at least!

I don't know either! My guess is that it's not so much what you write about, but how you write about it. As long as you show maturity and growth through reflective writing, I think you'll be good to go! That's what I am hoping at least!

I'm hoping too! I wish I had thought this through then I could have used a different theme for my PS -_- Not the whole overcoming challenges blah blah

Gotcha. I think the key word there is "or." Like I said, you have to match their mission statement. Basically, as an OOR applicant, the school wants people to work with the underserved and pick students that have shown a big commitment there. The school actually read your primary application before sending out secondaries to check if you match what they want. Save yourself the money if you haven't demonstrated this as an OOR applicant.

As an IS person, they are a little more lax with the underserved part because the other part of the school's mission is to train physicians that will practice in WWAMI. If you are from here, you are more likely to practice here.
Hey BABS, thoughts on what LORs to send to UW? They limit it to 3, it seems like. I was thinking of my PI (also took a class from him), a philosophy professor, and my volunteer coordinator. Is one science faculty enough? thanks!

Hey BABS, thoughts on what LORs to send to UW? They limit it to 3, it seems like. I was thinking of my PI (also took a class from him), a philosophy professor, and my volunteer coordinator. Is one science faculty enough? thanks!
Submit whichever letters you feel would represent you well. If you are having to cut back on letters, I would suggest eliminating letters that would be redundant. For example, there is no need for three letters from professors that are going to say you were an excellent student. Instead, pick and choose the letters by how you think thy will have spoken about you (since you don't know what they actually say, use your best judgement).

The alternative is just to use a committee letter. I think my committee letter had a total of like seven letters in it and then I submitted an extra LOR to UW in like January. So they had a total of like eight letters of rec for me. Overkill? Probably. But the people had offered their letters to me and I wasn't going to turn that stuff down.

I'm hoping too! I wish I had thought this through then I could have used a different theme for my PS -_- Not the whole overcoming challenges blah blah
That sounds like a great theme for a PS! And clearly it's what they want to hear about since it's a whole secondary Q! I think you're in good shape. And I think it doesn't matter what other example you talk about. I'm sure it will be great!

That sounds like a great theme for a PS! And clearly it's what they want to hear about since it's a whole secondary Q! I think you're in good shape. And I think it doesn't matter what other example you talk about. I'm sure it will be great!

I just thought of a few I could talk about, thinking of one specific at this point....maybe. I was very excited until I realized I was excited of having options for obstacles in life -_- ..hmmm

Any ideas for the experiences shaped your goal to become a physician? is that an aggregate of our works/activities?

I just thought of a few I could talk about, thinking of one specific at this point....maybe. I was very excited until I realized I was excited of having options for obstacles in life -_- ..hmmm

Any ideas for the experiences shaped your goal to become a physician? is that an aggregate of our works/activities?
Yeah, I've been trying to figure it out. I just founds this site that offers some advice-- http://blog.accepted.com/2012/08/09...ton-2013-medical-school-secondary-essay-tips/ --but I don't know how much I like it. I don't know that it is possible to talk about both the "big picture" and all the details they are suggesting in only 250 words. I'm going to have to still think about this one.

Hi everyone,

I am a newly accepted OOR to UW and just wanted to introduce myself. I have not started school yet at UW so I can't answer any questions about actually attending the school, but as an OOR who just went through the long application process I'd be happy to try to answer any questions about that as I know it can be quite daunting!

Feel free to PM me or just tag me in the thread and I'll respond as soon as I can.

Best of luck! :)

@BABSstudent or anyone else.. How much are senior year grades considered? It is my understanding that they might not be included in the weighted GPA? As a student with an average GPA but significant upward trend I am in part relying on my senior year GPAs.. so will these be considered to the same degree as others?

@BABSstudent or anyone else.. How much are senior year grades considered? It is my understanding that they might not be included in the weighted GPA? As a student with an average GPA but significant upward trend I am in part relying on my senior year GPAs.. so will these be considered to the same degree as others?
Yeah, the weighted GPA only goes up to junior year. I think they do that to be fair to all applicants since some students will only be seniors when they are applying. But I've heard it said many times that the AdComs still consider senior year GPA and post-bacc/grad work. If you are IR and are weeded out by the computer because of your weighted GPA but your senior year and post-bacc grades are really strong, you can just email them to let them know. An actual human in the office can then look over your app and send you a secondary manually.

They are not included in the weighted GPA. But that being said, most of the time your senior year grades do not significantly bump up a GPA. For example, lets talk about an extreme grade influx of 120 credits of a 3.0 average (30 at 2.0 freshman, 30 at 3.0 sophomore and 30 at 4.0 junior year) and then 30 credits of 4.0 senior year brings it to a 3.2 cGPA. So even going crazy, your GPA would go up 0.2 points which is an impressive change but not really that much.

Your weighted GPA in this case would be 3.3 which is higher than what AMCAS reports for your cumulative GPA with your senior grades. So if you have an upward trend the weight GPA (even ignoring senior year grades) tends to help you out much more. It's the students that have their grades go down that are punished by this system.

But after getting an interview, the school doesn't really look at your grades. The interviewers don't even know what you got or your MCAT score.

Honestly, at this point there isn't much you can do about it is best to ignore it for now.

@BABSstudent Cheers! Thanks! I was maybe thinking less about the GPA impact but more about starting off slow but having sustained a sense of "academic excellence" through not only junior year but senior year as well might say something about an applicant's character that even a wGPA might not indicate. So just seeing if senior grades are even looked at. Thanks for the input, that makes a lot of sense.

Out of curiosity.. are you leaning toward primary care as your end goal?

@BABSstudent Cheers! Thanks! I was maybe thinking less about the GPA impact but more about starting off slow but having sustained a sense of "academic excellence" through not only junior year but senior year as well might say something about an applicant's character that even a wGPA might not indicate. So just seeing if senior grades are even looked at. Thanks for the input, that makes a lot of sense.

Out of curiosity.. are you leaning toward primary care as your end goal?

Rest assured, all your grades will be looked at. They just are not factored into the wGPA. However, it's unlikely that they will play a major factor other than seeing an upward trend. You can mention it during the interview, but like I said they do no have access to your grades (the interviewers do not but the excom member does but does not vote unless a tie happens). And your weighted GPA will reflect on the trend. Feel free to keep the school updated on your grades. I know I wrote them updates from time to time and included updates about my grades in there. However I have no idea if it made a difference in the end.

As for my future specialty... I do not think primary care is for me. I was uncertain when starting medical school but now I am leaning more towards ICU/pulmonary medicine. The mentor that I was paired with when starting medical school is an ICU doctor and she is the type of doctor I want to emulate. Everything she does is what I strive to do. And I have found that counseling patients to have a good death is something I find rewarding. Add in the complexity and having to use my brain on every case and I am perfectly happy with going down that path. However, that's a branch off of internal medicine and requires a fellowship so I have a long way to go and can change my mind at any moment.

Ahhhh secondaries o_O Am I the only one feeling totally clueless how to approach these? I don't want to repeat my primary, but the questions are what I focused on already. SIGH.... any guidance.

Also, for more about me question, can we address things that may be more tied with my personality than what led me to medicine (ie. hobbies, travelling, etc)?

For someone with a low MCAT, should I mention straight out why that is so? o_O

_c517

If you're in-state I'm guessing you'll get a secondary the day they receive your primary. If you're out-of-state they screen first so it might take longer.

and July 1st is the earliest date that med schools can receive our primaries from AMCAS... right?

If you're in-state I'm guessing you'll get a secondary the day they receive your primary. If you're out-of-state they screen first so it might take longer.
The admissions info session thing I went to last year made it sound like they screen in-state candidates as well?

The admissions info session thing I went to last year made it sound like they screen in-state candidates as well?
I thought they only screened in state people for interviews, not for secondaries. I might be wrong though

do you guys know when UW starts sending out secondaries?

They screen EVERYONE. IS and OOR,but for IS the screen scores are VERY low (like 24 MCAT and 2.5 wGPA). If you pass that screen, you automatically get secondaries. If you do not, then you should talk to admissions to reconsider you file due to XX reasons (I am assuming you do this after they let you know you didn't pass the screening?). For OOR, the screen numbers are higher, and from my understanding, before you get a secondary, they will skim your application to make sure you show UR/rural/primary focus. That's info I've gathered from several UW focus groups and conferences.