-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Yale University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I've sent updates and never received confirmation. But iirc, you can see the updates you send in your portal?Has anybody sent an update through the portal and received confirmation?
Cool. Just making sure I shouldn't be expecting one.I've sent updates and never received confirmation. But iirc, you can see the updates you send in your portal?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if Yale is still offering II?
I'm wondering the same thing.
From page 10:Does anyone know if Yale is still offering II?
I would hazard a guess and say that much more likely than not, at this point, IIs are doneDon't know but they interview MWF until the bitter last day in February so it just depends how far ahead they issue IIs. From what I have seen/heard, 2 weeks is the bare minimum notification time offered to applicants, but this has nothing to do with Yale specifically, just a very informed guess
Just called, and they're done extending IIs. Good luck to everyone!
Thanks for calling! Time to unwatch, best of luck to everyone!Just called, and they're done extending IIs. Good luck to everyone!
Too realTime to unwatch
I believe the last day of interviews are Friday if I am not mistaken.
You are mistaken. The last day of interviews is Friday 2/26, per the lunch order page that lists all the dates.I believe the last day of interviews are Friday if I am not mistaken.
Anyone know when the adcom starts meeting to discuss interviewed candidates? I'm wondering if an update that I sent recently would make it to the table for consideration...
They have been meeting Monday afternoons every week throughout interviews to discuss the interviewees of the previous week. However Silverman made clear that no decisions are made until after interviews end, which is 2/26. So we are sure the committee will still be convening until 3/10, but whether that includes reviewing updates is unknown.Anyone know when the adcom starts meeting to discuss interviewed candidates? I'm wondering if an update that I sent recently would make it to the table for consideration...
Either way...it doesn't matter. We will never know so don't fret.
Makes sense. Thanks for your insights!They have been meeting Monday afternoons every week throughout interviews to discuss the interviewees of the previous week. However Silverman made clear that no decisions are made until after interviews end, which is 2/26. So we are sure the committee will still be convening until 3/10, but whether that includes reviewing updates is unknown.
Either way...it doesn't matter. We will never know so don't fret.
I guess the old, not-as -snarky avgn of a few months ago is still in there somewhere 😉 JK
According to our tour guide sign up, it does not look like there are tours next week. They may not have updated the lunch form.You are mistaken. The last day of interviews is Friday 2/26, per the lunch order page that lists all the dates.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anybody sent an update through the portal and received confirmation?
Lol the confirmation I got was that I received an II a week later that I'd given up on
I was looking through some older threads earlier and came across the following in the 2013-2014 thread (page 4?):
Can anyone confirm the veracity of the above?
My second interview was the most interesting I've had in interview season so far. It was with a faculty member who is a plastic surgeon and does global health work fixing cleft palates throughout the world. This conversation was not formal at all -- the guy spent more time talking than I did. Our conversation ranged from music to women in surgery to Judaism around the world to life in New Haven. He also told me how the evaluative process works, which was very interesting (especially since I'm not totally sure we are supposed to know this stuff). Every application goes through three reads; if each one is a yes, the applicant is offered an interview. 650-700 interviews are granted. After interview day, each interviewer gives a yes or no to the committee. If there are two "yesses" the applicant is pushed through the next round of consideration; two no's mean a no; and one yes and one no lead to a vote by the commmitee. If an applicant gets to the final round of consideration after succeeding on interview day, the committee then considers demographics (sex, race) and interests to try to get a good balance in the class. 200 acceptances are sent out in March, then an additional 50 or so people come off the waitlist to form the class of 100. The waitlist has three tiers.
Can anyone confirm the veracity of the above?
Last edited:
So I checked the threads from the past few years and the decisions have always come out on a Tuesday in March (at least going back 5 years). That means this year it will either be March 1st,8th,15th. If I get had to bet I'd say they will come out March 8th. Well, now I have a set of dates to get paranoid about.
But Silverman has said over and over again March 10…So I checked the threads from the past few years and the decisions have always come out on a Tuesday in March (at least going back 5 years). That means this year it will either be March 1st,8th,15th. If I get had to bet I'd say they will come out March 8th. Well, now I have a set of dates to get paranoid about.
Did he? Huh didn't say anything my interview day. I guess then March 8th or 10th.. we'll know closer to the day.But Silverman has said over and over again March 10…
Did he? Huh didn't say anything my interview day. I guess then March 8th or 10th.. we'll know closer to the day.
We should start a betting pool to pass the time
I remember Mr. Silverman telling us the same thing two years ago. I think March 10 is Yale's self imposed deadline - to notify students no later than this date. However, I believe decisions come out earlier.But Silverman has said over and over again March 10…
Last edited:
Director Silverman has been saying the 10th at all interview days. I would just stick with that. If it comes out earlier, great, but I wouldn't expect it to.
Second Look Weekend will be April 7-9 for those who are wondering.
Second Look Weekend will be April 7-9 for those who are wondering.
Toga, toga, togaDirector Silverman has been saying the 10th at all interview days. I would just stick with that. If it comes out earlier, great, but I wouldn't expect it to.
Second Look Weekend will be April 7-9 for those who are wondering.
If I don't get in this cycle and have to reapply I'm gonna show up to all of my interviews next year doing the Chris Gardener thing from the pursuit of happyness. Covered in paint in a tank top and old ripped genes I'll stroll in and be like "what's good Yale med?"
I'll probably even reuse his same "he must have been wearing some really nice pants" line, even if it's totally out of context.
Interviewer: "So what do you think makes Yale med the right place for you?"
Future me: "HE MUST HAVE BEEN WEARING SOME REALLY NICE PANTS"
What I'm trying to say, Yale, is please let me in because I think I'm losing my mind
I'll probably even reuse his same "he must have been wearing some really nice pants" line, even if it's totally out of context.
Interviewer: "So what do you think makes Yale med the right place for you?"
Future me: "HE MUST HAVE BEEN WEARING SOME REALLY NICE PANTS"
What I'm trying to say, Yale, is please let me in because I think I'm losing my mind
try to stay sane for 2 weeksIf I don't get in this cycle and have to reapply I'm gonna show up to all of my interviews next year doing the Chris Gardener thing from the pursuit of happyness. Covered in paint in a tank top and old ripped genes I'll stroll in and be like "what's good Yale med?"
I'll probably even reuse his same "he must have been wearing some really nice pants" line, even if it's totally out of context.
Interviewer: "So what do you think makes Yale med the right place for you?"
Future me: "HE MUST HAVE BEEN WEARING SOME REALLY NICE PANTS"
What I'm trying to say, Yale, is please let me in because I think I'm losing my mind
Unfortunately, I've already gone off the deep end.try to stay sane for 2 weeks
I go swimming everyday to mitigate stress.
Buh dum tss.........
For our decisions, do we just receive an email? Or if lucky enough to get accepted, do you receive a phone call?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Email onlyqFor our decisions, do we just receive an email? Or if lucky enough to get accepted, do you receive a phone call?
For our decisions, do we just receive an email? Or if lucky enough to get accepted, do you receive a phone call?
First contact will be the email. Students will call in the next few days to ask if you have any questions (so think of some!). It's also not uncommon for your interviewers to call you sometime down the line. (I know I got a call from one of my interviewers over Spring Break.)
First contact will be the email. Students will call in the next few days to ask if you have any questions (so think of some!). It's also not uncommon for your interviewers to call you sometime down the line. (I know I got a call from one of my interviewers over Spring Break.)
Thanks! Is there a set time that the emails go out or am I going to give myself carpal tunnel refreshing all day? Lol
Look at past years threads. Not hard to find and you'll definitely find a patternThanks! Is there a set time that the emails go out or am I going to give myself carpal tunnel refreshing all day? Lol
It sounds like @avgn has a better idea than I do. Ours came in the morning if I remember correctly. I would, as much as you can, try to keep your mind off of it. But that's just in my opinion.
Oops double post after 2 hours, weirdThanks! Is there a set time that the emails go out or am I going to give myself carpal tunnel refreshing all day? Lol
Last edited:
If I may ask, did you interview? I have nothing in my portal. Weird.Silently rejected. Decision tab now on the secondary portal
I don't have a tab but I interviewed. It's hardly a surprised you're rejected pre-II since interviews finished 2 weeks ago hahaSilently rejected. Decision tab now on the secondary portal
Did not interview. Probably clearing out everything before they release actually decisions
+1 silently rejectedSilently rejected. Decision tab now on the secondary portal
Did not interview. Probably clearing out everything before they release actually decisions
What?? How was that aggressive? Just pointing for people that it's no surprise for your decision to be released so others don't get worried that their post-II decisions are out alreadyJust sharing info, man. You are the most aggressive poster for no reason.
Wording, brah.What?? How was that aggressive? Just pointing for people that it's no surprise for your decision to be released so others don't get worried that their post-II decisions are out already
Well, the dude did say that he didn't interview, so I don't think that people who did would be worried.What?? How was that aggressive? Just pointing for people that it's no surprise for your decision to be released so others don't get worried that their post-II decisions are out already
I'm an MS1 and I have recently been reflecting on how anxious I was this time last year. (You can read last year's application thread for proof. 😛)
I'm afraid I don't have much to say that can make the wait more bearable, but I do know that you will get through it. At this time next year, you will more than likely be at a wonderful medical school freaking out about behind you are on your coursework, laughing with your classmates about how panicked you were a year ago, and marveling at how far you have come.
To those who just got silent rejections, I am sorry. 🙁 That is the one thing I dislike about Yale admissions and really wish they would change - well, that and non-rolling admission. 😀
I was rejected from my top choice medical school pre-interview. To be perfectly honest, there are times that I still feel bitter about it. However, I am also sure that I am doing as well or better at Yale than I would be at Evil West Coast Institution. I am not religious and I don't believe in fate, but I ended up where I was meant to be. No matter what happens in the next couple of weeks, you will get there too!
I'm afraid I don't have much to say that can make the wait more bearable, but I do know that you will get through it. At this time next year, you will more than likely be at a wonderful medical school freaking out about behind you are on your coursework, laughing with your classmates about how panicked you were a year ago, and marveling at how far you have come.
To those who just got silent rejections, I am sorry. 🙁 That is the one thing I dislike about Yale admissions and really wish they would change - well, that and non-rolling admission. 😀
I was rejected from my top choice medical school pre-interview. To be perfectly honest, there are times that I still feel bitter about it. However, I am also sure that I am doing as well or better at Yale than I would be at Evil West Coast Institution. I am not religious and I don't believe in fate, but I ended up where I was meant to be. No matter what happens in the next couple of weeks, you will get there too!
Western Blot said April 7-9I know decisions have not gone out yet, but does anyone know when revisit weekend is?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jeez, that weekend is stacked.Western Blot said April 7-9
For real! I guess they all want to squeeze it in well before April 30th, but still.Jeez, that weekend is stacked.
Yeah but they left the weekend of the 24th pretty much completely empty!For real! I guess they all want to squeeze it in well before April 30th, but still.
I can see why they'd be hesitant to use that weekend, but I think they still should've went for it. I mean students would still have a week to think about where they want to go for sure.Yeah but they left the weekend of the 24th pretty much completely empty!
Technically we are supposed to have until May 2 to decide this year because April 30 falls on a Saturday (as per the traffic rules fine print), but unfortunately it doesn't seem like any of the schools realize/recognize that.I can see why they'd be hesitant to use that weekend, but I think they still should've went for it. I mean students would still have a week to think about where they want to go for sure.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K