2016-2017 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not asking for bonus points or pity, it is simply a fact of my application that I find makes my conviction to pursue medicine quite strong. I didn't mention it in my primary application because I focused on what drove me to medicine, not the specific timing of it and what I previously wanted to do. Besides, the prompt asks for "an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application."

@MaxPlancker Looking back on my original post I now see why it seems like I wanted bonus points. I really just meant to say that I didn't want to do medicine and now I do, and if that is an appropriate response.

My apologies if I sounded a bit too blunt. There's been a lot of threads in the pre-allo forum recently asking whether every tiny thing from adoption to having sick family members would provide some advantage and needless to say I've been very annoyed by the premed mentality. That being said, your ECs will almost surely not be evaluated differently based on when you decided on medicine.

What about a combination of both? I understand that they clearly want to know what we've done, but for those of us who recently graduated merely a few weeks ago that may not be much. Would it be appropriate to say what we've done and explain that we will be continuing it throughout the upcoming year? TIA!

Yes a brief mention of future plans is probably a good idea.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Never put it past premeds to use some unusual or tragic situation for their own advantage in secondary essays. It's not about having a difficult life, it's about what you learn from your difficulties

+1

I feel like people try to make everything a competition

Like yeah a person with more difficulties than you might have a better chance at getting an interview, but they also probably went through terrible things and still managed to be able to apply. I wouldn't wish for an "advantage" like that. [emoji19]


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Looks like I'm not really going to need to write much for this secondary. Thank you, Harvard. 🙂
 
Hey Guys,

I searched a lot and couldn't find an answer. For HST, I was wondering if anyone had any examples of how one can demonstrate the level of understanding for math required outside of courses.

"In addition, the HST curriculum requires that students be comfortable with upper-level mathematics (through differential equations and linear algebra), biochemistry and molecular biology. This is usually demonstrated through upper level course work, but other approaches may satisfy these requirements. In addition, one year of calculus-based physics in college is required. "

I have the year of calc-based physics, but only did Calc 1 and already graduated. I have advanced Stats courses but nothing up the Calc--> linear algebra series. Also have biochem and a few upper level molecular bios.

Anyone know what "other approaches" can be used to satisfy the requirements.




Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Anyone know what "other approaches" can be used to satisfy the requirements.

If you can show that you've learned the material through a different means, you may be able to write about them in such a way that it satisfies the requirement. For example, you could have learned and used differential equations in a thermodynamics course, or you could utilize calculus-based physics through an internship or research experience. If you believe you've done something that makes you feel like you've learned the material taught in the classes you haven't actually taken, then you can utilize the essay to describe why you think you've fulfilled the requirement. You would need to demonstrate aptitude for single variable calc, multivariable calc, DiffEq, linear algebra, and calc-based physics 2 (E&M).

I hope that answers your question, if not, let me know!
 
If you can show that you've learned the material through a different means, you may be able to write about them in such a way that it satisfies the requirement. For example, you could have learned and used differential equations in a thermodynamics course, or you could utilize calculus-based physics through an internship or research experience. If you believe you've done something that makes you feel like you've learned the material taught in the classes you haven't actually taken, then you can utilize the essay to describe why you think you've fulfilled the requirement. You would need to demonstrate aptitude for single variable calc, multivariable calc, DiffEq, linear algebra, and calc-based physics 2 (E&M).

I hope that answers your question, if not, let me know!

Hmm ok I'm going to have to think about it a bit. I have working knowledge of integral calculus as needed for neuroscience research I've done using analyses similar to the ALE model in neuroimaging and some other principles and techniques but I'd have to go through everything I've done research wise and try to connect it to the content of those courses.

Would it be worth taking a course at this point? Have free tuition option. Or perhaps self teaching some of the missing parts from my experience?


Edit: yes, already have 1 year of Calc-based physics

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Hmm ok I'm going to have to think about it a bit. I have working knowledge of integral calculus as needed for neuroscience research I've done using analyses similar to the ALE model in neuroimaging and some other principles and techniques but I'd have to go through everything I've done research wise and try to connect it to the content of those courses.

Would it be worth taking a course at this point? Have free tuition option. Or perhaps self teaching some of the missing parts from my experience?


Edit: yes, already have 1 year of Calc-based physics

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm not applying for this program, so maybe my opinion isn't valid, but I wouldn't take the course. Mention what you said here in the app, and then IF (BIG IF even with a perfect everything) you get in, then ask if you need to take the course. Otherwise, taking a course like linear algebra just to get into a super competitive program within the already extremely competitive Harvard just doesn't seem worthwhile. Most likely (just being real here) you won't get in, and it would have been a waste.

Now if you want to take the course for your own benefit, that's a different story.
 
I'm not applying for this program, so maybe my opinion isn't valid, but I wouldn't take the course. Mention what you said here in the app, and then IF (BIG IF even with a perfect everything) you get in, then ask if you need to take the course. Otherwise, taking a course like linear algebra just to get into a super competitive program within the already extremely competitive Harvard just doesn't seem worthwhile. Most likely (just being real here) you won't get in, and it would have been a waste.

Now if you want to take the course for your own benefit, that's a different story.

I see your point. I think I'm a competitive applicant for the program otherwise. It might be best to just write the essay and see how it goes. I can structure my strengths and experiences and research to both programs so figured why not apply to both.

I have the time and the free tuition due to my research position, so if taking the course made a big difference then I'd do it.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Would it be worth taking a course at this point? Have free tuition option. Or perhaps self teaching some of the missing parts from my experience?
Definitely talk about the experiences you mentioned. You just need to show an aptitude for the subject. The reason the classes are pre-reqs is because you will need to utilize that knowledge in the courses you take as a HST student. If you feel like you wouldn't be able to use the knowledge you currently have to succeed with the HST curriculum, then consider taking a course since you have free tuition. HST is a long shot for everyone, so it might be better if you held off on taking the course until the spring. See if you get an II first, then register if you do. If you don't get an II, then don't waste your time on it. Mention in your essay that you would be willing to take the course at whatever institution you're currently affiliated with. An alternative would be to review the information on Khan academy. Or, even better, you could review the course(s) on MIT OCW.

Hope that helps, good luck! 🙂
 
Definitely talk about the experiences you mentioned. You just need to show an aptitude for the subject. The reason the classes are pre-reqs is because you will need to utilize that knowledge in the courses you take as a HST student. If you feel like you wouldn't be able to use the knowledge you currently have to succeed with the HST curriculum, then consider taking a course since you have free tuition. HST is a long shot for everyone, so it might be better if you held off on taking the course until the spring. See if you get an II first, then register if you do. If you don't get an II, then don't waste your time on it. Mention in your essay that you would be willing to take the course at whatever institution you're currently affiliated with. An alternative would be to review the information on Khan academy. Or, even better, you could review the course(s) on MIT OCW.

Hope that helps, good luck! 🙂

That helps a ton! Thank you so much.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received a letter from this school in the mail today saying my MCAT was within their range and for some reason they think I am a minority. But my MCAT was only a 511 and I am not a minority and/or from a disadvantaged background. Thanks for the weird/amusing moment though, Harvard. Good luck to all you applying here.
 
I received a letter from this school in the mail today saying my MCAT was within their range and for some reason they think I am a minority. But my MCAT was only a 511 and I am not a minority and/or from a disadvantaged background. Thanks for the weird/amusing moment though, Harvard. Good luck to all you applying here.

This happened throughout the last year. Uber white people or people from decent backgrounds getting URM letters. I think they had an error in their system.
 
I received a letter from this school in the mail today saying my MCAT was within their range and for some reason they think I am a minority. But my MCAT was only a 511 and I am not a minority and/or from a disadvantaged background. Thanks for the weird/amusing moment though, Harvard. Good luck to all you applying here.
+1. When I saw Harvard Medical School on a letter with my name on it I was beyond confused.
 
I received a letter from this school in the mail today saying my MCAT was within their range and for some reason they think I am a minority. But my MCAT was only a 511 and I am not a minority and/or from a disadvantaged background. Thanks for the weird/amusing moment though, Harvard. Good luck to all you applying here.
.
 
Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm still waiting on my secondary, and I was wondering how long after your AAMC verification did you get your secondary? Thanks so much!!
 
Took me 2 days, but a couple of other schools took a couple weeks so just hang tight, it's coming!
Thank you so much! I was wondering if it is actually ok to not write the optional essays? (doesn't seem like I have anything really important to add...but it just feels so weird having nothing to write...)Thanks!
 
Thank you so much! I was wondering if it is actually ok to not write the optional essays? (doesn't seem like I have anything really important to add...but it just feels so weird having nothing to write...)Thanks!

Gosh I struggled quite a bit with exactly that lol. Honestly if you see the prompt and you know you're just gonna repeat yourself or seem ingenuine, I'd skip it. But if there's something on ur app that you haven't mentioned and think it's another motivation to be a doctor, talk about it!
 
+1 for that letter in the mail about minority recruitment, even though I'm not a URM. But it says my MCAT scores were within their range. Hooray? I've already applied, so whatevs.
 
I received a letter from this school in the mail today saying my MCAT was within their range and for some reason they think I am a minority. But my MCAT was only a 511 and I am not a minority and/or from a disadvantaged background. Thanks for the weird/amusing moment though, Harvard. Good luck to all you applying here.
+1. When I saw Harvard Medical School on a letter with my name on it I was beyond confused.
+1 for that letter in the mail about minority recruitment, even though I'm not a URM. But it says my MCAT scores were within their range. Hooray? I've already applied, so whatevs.
I believe you're automatically considered SES-disadvantaged if neither parent completed a bachelor's degree. Is that the case for you guys?
 
I believe you're automatically considered SES-disadvantaged if neither parent completed a bachelor's degree. Is that the case for you guys?

Hm, is that really true? Neither of my parents went to college, but I had not heard anything like this from any schools.
 
Hm, is that really true? Neither of my parents went to college, but I had not heard anything like this from any schools.
I'm not positive if it's true, it's just what I've heard around SDN. And I can't think of any other reason I would have received the Med-MAR letter
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hm, is that really true? Neither of my parents went to college, but I had not heard anything like this from any schools.
There is a whole document from the AAMC about SES disadvantaged and how it should be used. I'll look for it later, but you can probably find it pretty easily. Essentially, you are the most disadvantaged if neither parent went to college. You are second most disadvantaged if a parent went to college but still has, loosely speaking, a historically blue collar job. There are 5 levels, but only the lowest 2 are reported and considered "disadvantaged."
 
There is a whole document from the AAMC about SES disadvantaged and how it should be used. I'll look for it later, but you can probably find it pretty easily. Essentially, you are the most disadvantaged if neither parent went to college. You are second most disadvantaged if a parent went to college but still has, loosely speaking, a historically blue collar job. There are 5 levels, but only the lowest 2 are reported and considered "disadvantaged."

Hm I guess I should have check off the disadvantaged thing on AMCAS then? I briefly considered it, but didn't feel right doing it. Oh well.
 
There is a whole document from the AAMC about SES disadvantaged and how it should be used. I'll look for it later, but you can probably find it pretty easily. Essentially, you are the most disadvantaged if neither parent went to college. You are second most disadvantaged if a parent went to college but still has, loosely speaking, a historically blue collar job. There are 5 levels, but only the lowest 2 are reported and considered "disadvantaged."
That is actually my case- neither of my parents received a bachelor's degree.
 
Hm I guess I should have check off the disadvantaged thing on AMCAS then? I briefly considered it, but didn't feel right doing it. Oh well.
SES Disadvantaged is automatically reported on the AMCAS with all your other biographical info. Claiming disadvantaged and the accompanying essay are obviously related to SES in a lot of ways, but they are independent. If you didn't have anything compelling to say in the essay it could have ended up working against you.
 
Really, even if you did have a decent reason to claim disadvantaged but choose not to, that's the whole point of automatically including the SES info. The crux of that document is that the two data points, parental education and employment, correlate very well with "truly" disadvantaged students. However, a lot of people don't report as disadvantaged for a slew of reasons, namely, the applicant not feeling disadvantaged or having the false assumption that it would work against them somehow.
 
Really, even if you did have a decent reason to claim disadvantaged but choose not to, that's the whole point of automatically including the SES info. The crux of that document is that the two data points, parental education and employment, correlate very well with "truly" disadvantaged students. However, a lot of people don't report as disadvantaged for a slew of reasons, namely, the applicant not feeling disadvantaged or having the false assumption that it would work against them somehow.

Ok, thanks! I didn't check the box because although my parents didn't go to college and definitely had "blue collar" jobs, but they made decent money and we were definitely never on public assistance or worried about putting food on the table or anything. Good to know med schools take a pretty detailed look at this stuff.
 
Last edited:
Ok, thanks! I didn't check the box because although my parents didn't go to college and definitely had "blue collar" jobs, but they made decent money and we were definitely never on public assistance or worried about putting food on the table or anything. Good to know med schools take a pretty detailed look at this stuff.
In addition to the self-reported disadvantage, AMCAS will automatically assign you a SES disadvantage indicator based on your parents' occupation and education level.
https://www.aamc.org/download/351766/data/amcassesdisadvantagedindicator.pdf
 
upload_2016-8-12_14-59-2.png


Edit: Just realized @csdanim posted the link to this page
 
Hey, so I have not so great stats (understatement), but I got an invitation to apply to HMS. Should I do it, or would I just be wasting their/my time? Thanks!
Got the same with LM of 70. Seems a lot of people did as well. Are you disadvantaged/URM? I know there was something at the bottom about them waving the secondary fee if you send them a convincing email why. I'm gonna try this and if it ends up getting waved I'll probably apply. I'd be happy to donate 38 dollars to Harvard but 138 not so much haha.
 
I'm in pretty much the same boat (LM score included). I can probably convince them of my disadvantaged status (I didn't check the box at all, yet they're the second school to contact me based on some list). Like you said, it'd almost certainly be a donation... 99.9%.
You never know unless you try right? I didn't apply to any reaches so might as well apply to the biggest reach of them all haha.
 
Does anyone know how lenient HMS will be on their requirement for "one year of calculus-based physics?" It's looks almost like an afterthought on their website. I have a year of calculus, and a year in general physics (+ lab), but I never took a specifically calculus-based physics course. I sent an email over to admissions but I'm impatient 🙂 Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how lenient HMS will be on their requirement for "one year of calculus-based physics?" It's looks almost like an afterthought on their website. I have a year of calculus, and a year in general physics (+ lab), but I never took a specifically calculus-based physics course. I sent an email over to admissions but I'm impatient 🙂 Thanks!
I believe that's only referring to the HST Program, is that what you're applying for?
 
I still haven't received a secondary or any other information regarding screening AMCAS applicants. Is this normal? Should I contact the admissions office? I submitted and was verified quite a while ago and I'm getting worried.
 
I still haven't received a secondary or any other information regarding screening AMCAS applicants. Is this normal? Should I contact the admissions office? I submitted and was verified quite a while ago and I'm getting worried.
I'm pretty sure they don't screen, check your spam folder and contact them if you can't find the secondary there
 
I'm pretty sure they don't screen, check your spam folder and contact them if you can't find the secondary there

Yeah, I've been checking spam constantly just in case it was sent there, but I haven't seen anything. I'll send an e-mail early tomorrow morning so that I'm not sending one at 12:20 am. Thank you!